Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you're bringing safety considerations into it you wouldn't buy a Miat at all.

NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah I mean I drive the E92 M3 when I feel like actually going faster than 35. But the NA has pop-up headlights...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I daily an NB an 80hp Honda Fit, both of which are fine in terms of safety as long as long as you don't get into a crash.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Drive an NB and an NC and see which you like more. They are both good cars.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

I daily an NB an 80hp Honda Fit, both of which are fine in terms of safety as long as long as you don't get into a crash.

My cousin had a Fit and he hit a deer and it got absolutely annihilated.

The deer walked away from it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's kind of operating as intended though. The car strategically disintegrates to dissipate energy so the occupant and, more recently, pedestrian (the deer) will suffer less injury. No use having a car still factory fresh once you hose the previous owner out.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

MEAT IS CHEAP

Miata is eternal

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be nice to have free venison and an intact car.

Anyway, my timing belt poo poo's here!

... except the intake cam seal :negative: it went out of stock so I'll have to hunt around for one now. I was going to this before a road trip next week but now it might be cutting it a bit too close to be messing with the car.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you're bringing safety considerations into it you wouldn't buy a Miat at all.

NA.

I work in airplane safety not car safety but I think that's 100% bullshit. The NC has much better airbags and crumple zones than an NA. Yeah you're at greater risk from a roll over or someone straight up driving over you than a brodozer but nasty intersection collisions are so much more likely than rolling a miata that there is a measurable objective increase in safety. The NC is in compliance with the 2005 changes to offset impact crash testing which was an absolutely massive improvement in car safety. If you don't give a poo poo just get a motorcycle but an NC is better than almost all pre-2000 cars.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Leviathan Song posted:

I work in airplane safety not car safety but I think that's 100% bullshit. The NC has much better airbags and crumple zones than an NA. Yeah you're at greater risk from a roll over or someone straight up driving over you than a brodozer but nasty intersection collisions are so much more likely than rolling a miata that there is a measurable objective increase in safety. The NC is in compliance with the 2005 changes to offset impact crash testing which was an absolutely massive improvement in car safety. If you don't give a poo poo just get a motorcycle but an NC is better than almost all pre-2000 cars.

Considered saying something similar, but I had not done the research to back up the statements.

Buuuuut yeah, car safety has come a long way since the '90s.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leviathan Song posted:

This is honestly why I keep getting tempted by some nice NAs and NBs but stay away. If the NC is a safer and better car overall it's a no brainer living in the densely populated urban sprawl that I do.

I've been in a bad accident tho that would have killed me if I was in a 90's Miata or any other car from that era so I'm WAY more weary now than I would have been before.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ethanol posted:

I've got a family friend trying to sell their 90 Miata. it's red. one owner, garaged, ~120k miles I think. I don't really know how to value it cause it has some painted over rust on the flare in front of rear all tires. it has a red hard top that didn't get used much so it looks newer than the car itself. the trunk doesn't leak or anything.

any idea what something like this could be worth?

This sold last week for 6.7k btw after they lowered it slowly from 8. As a project car… the rust was even worse / safety issue in person

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Leviathan Song posted:

I'm no expert but for a while it became something of a minor hobby of mine to read about automotive safety and that's exactly my conclusion, yeah. Broadly speaking it seems like most cars of an era will do a Pretty Good job with the kinds of crashes they're designed for, so if you hit a NA Miata head on across the whole front, the car shouldn't crush like a tin can and the air bag should keep you from smashing into the wheel, dash, and window. I think one goon hit a semi truck that way in an NA and remarked at the time that the car did exactly what it was supposed to and he was ok aside from whiplash. But a NA isn't designed to be t-boned, or hit in a small frontal offset.

Since it turns out I can't buy a car the same way I can buy something on Amazon, I haven't made a purchase yet and I've cooled off enough to decide against a NA or NB. A big factor for me is I drive my SO or someone else around a non trivial amount of time and it especially doesn't feel right to put someone else in the NA.

At this point I'm adding more money to my pile, to try to move it from $12k to more like $15k or $20k, and keeping an eye out for local NCs and S197 mustangs. I appreciate all the opinions people shared, it was insightful and was generally better expressed versions of things I'd already been considering, so it's really helped me organize my thoughts.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 20, 2023

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm no expert but for a while it became something of a minor hobby of mine to read about automotive safety and that's exactly my conclusion, yeah. Broadly speaking it seems like most cars of an era will do a Pretty Good job with the kinds of crashes they're designed for, so if you hit a NA Miata head on across the whole front, the car shouldn't crush like a tin can and the air bag should keep you from smashing into the wheel, dash, and window. I think one goon hit a semi truck that way in an NA and remarked at the time that the car did exactly what it was supposed to and he was ok aside from whiplash. But a NA isn't designed to be t-boned, or hit in a small frontal offset.

Since it turns out I can't buy a car the same way I can buy something on Amazon, I haven't made a purchase yet and I've cooled off enough to decide against a NA or NB. A big factor for me is I drive my SO or someone else around a non trivial amount of time and it especially doesn't feel right to put someone else in the NA.

At this point I'm adding more money to my pile, to try to move it from $12k to more like $15k or $20k, and keeping an eye out for local NCs and S197 mustangs. I appreciate all the opinions people shared, it was insightful and was generally better expressed versions of things I'd already been considering, so it's really helped me organize my thoughts.

Keep your eye out and be ready to jump on a deal immediately. I got my NC1 for $8k and even with track wheels/tires and a brand new OEM hardtop I’m still just at $12k. They’re out there but you have to be willing to drop everything and be the first guy to show up with a wad of bills.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yo, someone posted about the Goodwin racing RoadsterSport SuperStreet muffler awhile back. https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1787.html

How's the verdict now? I've been thinking about buying one, can I drive around my neighborhood w/o making people mad?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

phosdex posted:

Yo, someone posted about the Goodwin racing RoadsterSport SuperStreet muffler awhile back. https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1787.html

How's the verdict now? I've been thinking about buying one, can I drive around my neighborhood w/o making people mad?

I have one and after putting some miles on it, the sound has mellowed out a lot (or maybe I've just gotten used to it.) It's definitely louder than stock on throttle, and you get a few little pops and burbles on downshifts and at lower RPM overrun which are fun, but it's by no means obnoxiously loud in my opinion. If you keep steady throttle it's not much louder than stock and I don't think it'd disturb anyone.

I run without the baffle fwiw and I'm very pleased with the sound and overall volume. My goal was to actually hear the exhaust with the top down and mission accomplished. If you install the baffle I don't think you'll have an issue at all.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Dropped the ND off for the REAL roof replacement today. I asked the service tech who was moving it to take it around the lot just once as i never hear the thing from the outside. He grinned and indulged and gave it a little chirpy launch and some good revs. This car sounds so loving amazingly good from the outside. I don't think i'm gonna do the exhaust stuff i was planning about, it's beautiful as it is.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I ordered that Goodwin Racing muffler Friday and it just got delivered. I watched a couple install vids, hopefully I can have this on by the weekend.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
As long as you don’t gently caress up the threads on the studs trying to get them out because you don’t have QUITE the right nuts to use, installing the new muffler is pretty easy and a fun afternoon of loving around under your car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did an oil change today as I was still missing some parts for the timing belt. I didn't remember which fitler I usually order so I got a Bosch that was supposedly compatible and

:thunk:

Thankfually I had one extra filter that I must've ordered previously and not used. The correct part number is B6Y1-14-302A or B6Y2-14-302 so I suppose it's better to double-check the actual part numbers becasuse you never know.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ND back in the driveway and OH MY GOD something actually got fixed. Brand new shiny roof on it now!

Next step is wait a month for the PDR guy at the shop to be available to do hood, trunk (replace and repaint) and fenders (pdr)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Have a couple of goodies on order for the NC - GWR strut tower brace and a carbon lip spoiler. A new secondary o2 sensor is coming too but that’s just cause I’m sick of seeing the P0421 light. It doesn’t NEED to be fixed for inspection but for $44, 🤷🏻‍♂️

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Depending on competition rules, the Versatuner software for the Mazda's is very good. All that's needed is a Subaru Tactrix cable too.
The NC tunes are decent but the real value is that every single ECU table is now yours to play with (including the DBW tables).

Edit: My reason for mentioning this is that you gain the ability to block specific CEL codes.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 26, 2023

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I have this on an ND and even bought the o2 sensor but I wasn't strong enough [or couldn't get a good angle] to remove it so like mctinkerson mentioned above I just tuned it out with software.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Which version of VersaTuner should I look into? The car already has a Fab9 tune and I’d really just want it to disable the CEL. Is the free version enough?

This cable?

Or?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 26, 2023

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Which version of VersaTuner should I look into? The car already has a Fab9 tune and I’d really just want it to disable the CEL. Is the free version enough?

This cable?

That's the one.

I have the full version and have never had the lite but based on how the software is structured, the lite version might also let you mask DTCs. That functionality is part of the "flash tune" component (along with launch control and flat foot shifting) and not part of the tune editor.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Awesome thanks. Cable ordered, I’ll see if the free version of the software works

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Managed to install my goodwin muffler without problem. Sounds great! I finished as rush hour got going so I only took it for a short drive so far. What do I do the old muffler?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Stick it somewhere in your garage or shed so you can put it back on the car if you ever plan to sell it? Or you can just take it to the dump, or try to unload it for cheap on craigslist or whatever.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If it's in really nice shape someone might want it to replace their rusty one. Otherwise either take it to the scrapyard (I got $3 for my Jeep's rusty cat-back!) or if you live on a road that gets any traffic you can leave it by the street and a meth addict scraper will be along shortly to take it off your hands.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah my original muffler rusted out and I would've thrown a used one on it if it would let me pass inspection in a heartbeat. I'm sure someone will be happy to buy it off you for a reasonable amount.

I should probably look into this "preventative maintenance" concept so I don't end up chaning pads in an alpine camping parking lot in the middle of the night.

We had a 4-day weekend and a friend suggested a quick road trip since it was probably the last chance this year due to weather. I had a set of pads I was going to do later so I grabbed them just in case which turned out to be a good idea probably (not as good as doing it months ago though). I probably would've made it anyway but that was pretty close.

There were more 911s on the roads than Miatas sadly, but there were these two I saw on the Stelvio peak while eating a strudel:

The scenery is fantastic but the pass itself is kind of meh in terms of driving. It's just endless switchbacks (especially the other side) so it's constantly brake, fist, second, brake, watch out of cyclists, first, second, brake, watch out for caravans, etc. Also it's like 2800 meters so what little power the car had was even further diminished.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Just a quick question as I'm curious about the general opinion: Zircon Sand yay or nay?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Not the colour I personally would get, but the ones I’ve seen in person have looked pretty nice. If the colour is to your taste, go for it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

Just a quick question as I'm curious about the general opinion: Zircon Sand yay or nay?

Looks kind of interesting on a CX-90, but all wrong for the Miata.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Shai-Hulud posted:

The Miata needs to come in fun colors, and buying Zircon Sand new from a dealer is sending data back to Mazda that boring colors are acceptable.

Buy what you like, but I'm just gonna be annoyed that we can't get a good yellow or green or anything else.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

At least Soul Red is amazing. You are allowed to have 1 (one) fun color.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The red is a great color but I hate that every loving mx-5 I see is red. I'm just bored by it without even owning the car...

Though I understand why people pick it cause the alternatives are black, white and silver...yay

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Hit a deer before the weekend. Somehow only this and a few fender liner clips was the only damage...

Bumper was already toast from slapping auto X cones and a rabbit boop last year [that did more damage than this, pic was somewhere in this thread]; so I guess I'll just wait till it gets reallllly bad to replace.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are there any grumblings of a 5th gen coming anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

There’s a refresh coming next year, so the next generation is still at least a few years away.

Nothing official yet but this is the latest rumor, hot off some guy on miata.net who claims the info comes from Mazda dealers in Japan (so NA trims/packages will be different etc):

quote:

Improvements to the new model (Japan)
• New grade S Leather Package V selection added (beige hood) ← Body color other than Zircon
• Grade system changed ← Top S Leather Package White discontinued Brown top discontinued 990S discontinued RF VS Terracotta White selection discontinued Black leather discontinued
• Manufacturer set options System change (Touring package new setting) ← Radar cruise, full segment, seat heater added to safety package
• Some specification changes ← CDDVD abolished ・Change from USB type A to type C
• New LSD (name to be determined)
• DSC-TRACK mode added
• Improved steering feel ← All models
• Improved direct feel and response (technology installed in 990S) ← MT cars
• Improved engine output from 132PS to 136 PS ← Top all models
• Improved engine sound ← Structural changes to induction sound enhancer RS ​​grade Only
・Headlamp/rear lamp design changed ← Dimming turn signal not adopted
・Wheel design changed ← Rice-like design RF's 17 inch is machined・
New seat color ← Sports tan RF Leather Black abolished
・Color changed ← Platinum Quartz abolished Aero Gray Additions
• New seats added (Cross + Regane) ← Non-leather
• Center console skin wrapping added ← Changed from just the lid to the side parts Only for cars with leather seats
• Frameless room mirror adopted ← Same as CX30
• Changed meter design ← Dial/pointers
• Adoption of new generation Mazda Connect on all grades (from 7 inches to 8.8 inches) ← Horizontal screen extends to driver's seat • Adoption
of connected services ← SOS button, etc.
• Addition of radar cruise control
•Standard equipment of Burglar alarm←Compatible with connected monitoring plan
•Evolution of safety equipment←Addition of exit assist function to blind spot monitoring, etc.

There have been some spy shots showing the slightly revised lights/bumpers but the rest seems plausible enough.