Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Truga posted:

never get meta stat exotics outside base game things that drop all the time like berserker.

what you should do is run cotent that drops random ascended gear (also, do dailies/weeklies and get those ascended equipment chests, they're... ok value, especially for a new player)
then you toss them into the mystic forge with the recipe to change their stats
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing#Ascended_weapons_and_armor

That's part of the problem ain't it? it's the correct thing to do to save gold, but is it intuitive to figure out on your own? why the extra steps? why are exotic meta stats as expensive as ascended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, my experience of the game has been transformed by gw2efficiency, fast farming, BlishHUD and the raid discords, but it's kind of silly that these things are so necessary

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been playing on/off since launch and don't have to bother with any of those outside looking up obscure lovely currencies on fast farming. i did gw2eff when i was farming the trading post while building my stockpile of poo poo for a bifrost, and it is all quite stupid how much easier it made things

personally my least favourite thing about the game right now is the amount of loot it drops. it's been insanely improved during and post-POF when they introduced unid items, but it's still annoying as all hell. i'm slowly working my way up to just having 250 empty item slots so i can open entire stacks at a time. wish there was a checkbox that automatically opened and then salvaged every unid item that drops, kinda like when crafting poo poo for research notes

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I don't use any add-ons and only visit farm/gw2efficiency occasionally. The wiki, though, I couldn't live without.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Truga posted:

i've been playing on/off since launch and don't have to bother with any of those outside looking up obscure lovely currencies on fast farming. i did gw2eff when i was farming the trading post while building my stockpile of poo poo for a bifrost, and it is all quite stupid how much easier it made things

personally my least favourite thing about the game right now is the amount of loot it drops. it's been insanely improved during and post-POF when they introduced unid items, but it's still annoying as all hell. i'm slowly working my way up to just having 250 empty item slots so i can open entire stacks at a time. wish there was a checkbox that automatically opened and then salvaged every unid item that drops, kinda like when crafting poo poo for research notes

Youll need a few more.
SO when you use your salvomatic to salvage all the first few essenses, and logs and mithril dont clog the system

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The days of items filling up your inventory, salvaging them only for the minor runes to fill up your inventory were dark times I had forgotten.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Truga posted:

never get meta stat exotics outside base game things that drop all the time like berserker.

what you should do is run cotent that drops random ascended gear (also, do dailies/weeklies and get those ascended equipment chests, they're... ok value, especially for a new player)
then you toss them into the mystic forge with the recipe to change their stats
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing#Ascended_weapons_and_armor

Eh, disagree, especially as a new player. A lot of the stuff that drops ascended gear does it very slowly, especially if you're not yet doing raids/t4 fractals/CMs. Like, I was probably getting a piece a week, if that.

On the other hand, you can fill out a set of stat selectable exotic armour in a couple of evenings of VB.

For weapons I think the best way to get them is elite spec collections, the hot ones are a pain but the others are doable without too much issue.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh yeah, if there's any easy exotics you can stat select on, definitely go for those

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
One of the better selectable exotic options are the lunatic recipes you get from Halloween. The mats are more expensive than base game drops like berserker, but cheaper than poo poo like vipers or diviners.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
I really like the music in guild. I think this is probably my fav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x41Pes8Z2so

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Simplifying exotic gear acquisition and/or the affix pool would definitely be a good QoL update for the core game if they want to continue to remove annoying barriers for endgame builds/play.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

I really like the music in guild.

all the lena chapelle tunes are top tier

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Truga posted:

all the lena chapelle tunes are top tier

Hell yes!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

boho posted:

It's kind of fruitless to break down how a user could have done something right when the actual problem is the UX failed to accurately communicate the proper solution to the user.

LP's hot take was 100% on point and MukLuk's chat exploding with disbelief was just proof of that. And Muk mentioning loving legendaries as an answer to LP's criticism was profoundly out of touch. Again, the forest was missed for the trees: LP's proposed solution isn't the point. The point is there are too many goddamn sets, and worse, half are noob traps.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Legendaries are massive QoL improvement, one gated behind a lot of time and 1000-2000 gold in resources, per piece, having more then one character in ascended gear is a burden before that, even getting exotics of meta stats is prohibitively expensive and time consuming and confusing on where to even begin to get them.

Totally agree.

Way too many noob trap stats available. This is something Teapot/Sneb and his community talk about often, it doesn't make any sense. Either just remove the garbage stats and narrow them down to useful ones only, or make multiple quests/tutorials/achievements based around learning about and obtaining gear. Motivate the player and point them in the direction to become empowered and learn in-game without having to pull up Snowcrows or some third party website.

Mentioning legendaries as a solution was absurd, too. Unless you're invested/dedicated, even with the Soto legendary starter kit, it's still a lot to acquire. A more realistic option would be grabbing Ascended gear and stat swapping them in the mystic forge, but even that takes time/resources.

That being said, it's interesting how Preach had the exact opposite take. Preach loved that he could go to the trading post and buy a full set of exotic gear for his character for relatively cheap, and was able to do squad content immediately. I'm pretty sure he did clears of raid wings in exotic gear.

I realize Ascended/Legendary is better, but the difference is marginal, because it's not like LazyPeon was running HTCM or tier 4 fractals. For the content LazyPeon was doing, exotic gear off the trading post would work.

CODChimera posted:

I thought they both made good points and I can absolutely see why LazyPeon was put off when jumping back in but yeah he didn't make things easy for himself

Yeah honestly I tried Catalyst and just couldn't get into it. Maybe for open world, like was mentioned earlier in the thread, something like a Lord Hizen build/rotation, but for competitive/squad content it's.. a lot. Weaver, too.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 26, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All armor should just be cosmetic, and you pick/unlock stats like how PvP works.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

jokes posted:

All armor should just be cosmetic, and you pick/unlock stats like how PvP works.

I thought this too at one point, but couldn’t escape the conclusion that sets/stat combos would still need to be dramatically truncated. It doesn’t solve the problem of Toughness being practically worthless or Concentration just throwing fuel on the fire of an extremely broken Boon system.

Their high end scene being more exclusionary than Everquest in its prime should be a massive red flag, but instead ANet chooses to stick their head in the sand. They’re simultaneously too cowardly to implement an actual auto-matching LFG system because they actually would have to start fixing fundamentals when everyone discovered there’s a very good reason the garden is as walled as it can get.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

boho posted:

I thought this too at one point, but couldn’t escape the conclusion that sets/stat combos would still need to be dramatically truncated. It doesn’t solve the problem of Toughness being practically worthless or Concentration just throwing fuel on the fire of an extremely broken Boon system.

Their high end scene being more exclusionary than Everquest in its prime should be a massive red flag, but instead ANet chooses to stick their head in the sand. They’re simultaneously too cowardly to implement an actual auto-matching LFG system because they actually would have to start fixing fundamentals when everyone discovered there’s a very good reason the garden is as walled as it can get.

While wvw continues to exist toughness is far from useless, pretty much all the best performing builds I can think of slot in at least a few pieces with toughness so they don't get blown up instantly

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
toughness owns

i do a lot of stupid fights solo in this game purely through the magic of partial wupwup elementalist

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

boho posted:

high end groups are far from exclusionary and almost all the high end groups have done tons of work to try and help less skilled players get into that content for years but anet refuses to support that content and only makes it harder to find groups

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Saraiguma posted:

high end groups are far from exclusionary and almost all the high end groups have done tons of work to try and help less skilled players get into that content for years but anet refuses to support that content and only makes it harder to find groups

^This

But I also completely agree that an automated group finder is the only solution to get more people into that content.

However I simply don't believe they will ever have the manpower required to more or less redesign the game from the ground up to support that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truga posted:

toughness owns

i do a lot of stupid fights solo in this game purely through the magic of partial wupwup elementalist

I like Cele builds and the toughness/vit from it is really nice. They really just need to get rid of the whole 'toughness draws attacks' things in open world content, or have a toggle for it or something.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

When balance patch

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Jedah posted:

Mentioning legendaries as a solution was absurd, too. Unless you're invested/dedicated, even with the Soto legendary starter kit, it's still a lot to acquire.

This is so true.
I have played the game on and off for a decade, i have done thousands of meta events and opened tens of thousands of chests or «consumables», and i have never really crafted anything nor sold anything on the to except when an item is storage capped.
To be able to craft Quip from the SotO chest i had to use all my materials and still had to spend over 200g on the tp to buy the missing stuff.
The game shits loot at you at an absurd pace but it is all essentially worthless. All the constant rewards really tickles the dopamine center of our reptile brains though, so i guess thats why we keep doing it.

Edit: the hour old patch added a new merchant to wvw that lets you buy a full set of exotic stat selectable gear set for about 10g + 700 badges of honor.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 26, 2023

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Balance patch analysis: pretty much everywhere it's gonna be nerfed. Except Guardian, of course, but this might be one of the few times that's not raw favoritism for blueclass: Guardian was still hovering around 40k (ANet's tacit DPS limit) so it didn't really warrant many changes.

Glad I got tired of the Rev though - Greatsword coeffs got hit by 30-40% across the board.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

While wvw continues to exist toughness is far from useless, pretty much all the best performing builds I can think of slot in at least a few pieces with toughness so they don't get blown up instantly

If no toughness was available the team might actually be able to balance away from the ludicrously short TTK caused by the bonkers powercreep in POF.

boho fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 26, 2023

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mr. Neutron posted:

^This

But I also completely agree that an automated group finder is the only solution to get more people into that content.

However I simply don't believe they will ever have the manpower required to more or less redesign the game from the ground up to support that.

I don't think duty finders will ever be possible in gw2 given how the tools available allow people to solve encounters in different ways, actually easing players into the lfg tool would help but honestly the player base in 2023 doesn't want anything harder than tequatl to exist and wants full legendary everything for that much effort

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Saraiguma posted:

I don't think duty finders will ever be possible in gw2 given how the tools available allow people to solve encounters in different ways, actually easing players into the lfg tool would help but honestly the player base in 2023 doesn't want anything harder than tequatl to exist and wants full legendary everything for that much effort

kids these days

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anet would make bank if they implemented housing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Anet would make bank if they implemented housing.

Always felt odd it was ignored but they had guild hall decoration which only a very small portion of the playerbase would ever get to experience themselves.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What do y'all think are the most on-rails FF14 dungeon/WoW dungeons/mythics style content? Whatever that is, that should be the only thing accessible via a matchmaker.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Speaking of FF14, I tried playing it but holy hell, it’s so incredibly boring. Even at level 30 and 30~ hours in. Empty maps, boring quests, running back and forth between quest givers and quest locations. Bleh.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Am I okay to gear a Necro now? I read the patch notes but don't know any of the skills or whatever so unclear how bad a hit they took.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

CubicalSucrose posted:

Am I okay to gear a Necro now? I read the patch notes but don't know any of the skills or whatever so unclear how bad a hit they took.

Power necro builds like reaper are unchanged. If you were planning on getting into condi scourge, it'll still be strong-- they would've needed to take a huge chunk out of it to make it anything less than very good, and they hit it pretty fairly.
Probably stay away from condi alac scourge though. I think it was already hanging on by a thread damage-wise, so it will actually suffer more from the nerfs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They added a new merchant in WvW that gives a full suit of all-stat selectable exotic armor, 10g/700 honor badges for a full suit, good for someone who had some extra laying around and still needed a new armor set, gl on getting the matching jewelry and weapons for the stats though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Speaking of FF14, I tried playing it but holy hell, it’s so incredibly boring. Even at level 30 and 30~ hours in. Empty maps, boring quests, running back and forth between quest givers and quest locations. Bleh.

it's very much babby's first mmo and has the pace to match it, 1-49 is pretty much a tutorial lol

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They added a new merchant in WvW that gives a full suit of all-stat selectable exotic armor, 10g/700 honor badges for a full suit, good for someone who had some extra laying around and still needed a new armor set, gl on getting the matching jewelry and weapons for the stats though.

The merchant also sells stat-selectable weapons and trinkets!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What merchant? I would very much like to not have to hunt down cele gear!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

boho posted:

Balance patch analysis: pretty much everywhere it's gonna be nerfed.

Pretty sure this is not the balance patch, just a general bug-fix patch.

ptroll posted:

Probably stay away from condi alac scourge though. I think it was already hanging on by a thread damage-wise, so it will actually suffer more from the nerfs.

Wasn't this build previously doing like 30k golem dps while providing alac? That's around the bottom end of pure dps numbers, hardly hanging by a thread. Alac specter was doing a similar amount last patch, but that has also been toned down a fair bit. I expect both are now more in line with other alac dps.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

..btt posted:

Pretty sure this is not the balance patch, just a general bug-fix patch.

It's a triage balance patch, at least in part. ArenaNet's line in the sand is 40k DPS (whether they'll admit it or not), and anything wandering more than ~5% above that in benchmarks gets slapped pretty hard.

The WvW gear is... interesting. It breaks crafting in half and destroys some markets (bye, Black Diamonds!*) but in my eyes it's a clear and direct response to LazyPeon's video.

*this is exaggeration, there are so many drat ways to get gear that many people won't know about WvW and the TP will still be the #1 source of everything

boho fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 26, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Oh yeah, sure, but I believe there is an actual balance patch coming fairly soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

boho posted:

kids these days

more in the box of anet constantly catering to this exact mindset