Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I also think Aabria wants to show off how well she can pull off a classic full d&d system with full combat scenarios, miniatures, the works
I did not watch her Critical Role EXU series but did they use combat minis the same way the main campaigns do? Cause if so she definitely has the pedigree without needing to prove anything on D20.

e: which is not meant as a knock in any way, maybe D20 was just like "this will be in 5e" and she said sure why not because the rest of the table is stellar/she loves GMing/work is work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Watched the new Breaking News episode. I enjoyed it, and I enjoy most dropout, though I don't watch the roleplaying stuff. However I can't help but feel trepidation at the fact that all shows seem to be slowly converge on being the same improv semi-parasocial show.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Interestingly, Aabria posted on Tumblr and said she knows of the grumbles about picking 5e for this and that she has a reason for it, beyond convenience or familiarity.

quote:

#gonna ramble in the tags#I understand why peeps ask for system variety#there are lots of systems that tell specific kinds of stories well#but the reverse is true too#5e does a *specific thing* very well#without spoiling the story#I want to simply say I *chose* 5e for this thing it does#not because it’s the biggest or the easiest for the table or whatever other lazy reasons folks want to ascribe#the mechanics are a part of the story being told#that’s always been true#it’s still true here#DnD is the legacy of a certain kind of gaming#which came from the veneration of a certain kind of cultural lens#critiques of DnD and the stories told inside that system center on how the mechanics center those cultural perspectives#knowing that there’s a wide world of systems to pick from#I just hope y’all trust that there’s a point to this choice#and if you watch and think I’m trying to say something#you’re probably right#and if you think I still could have made a different choice in the end#lemme know#I love being introduced to new systems

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That makes me want to watch it more

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yeah, the fact that it's 5E isn't going to stop me from checking the show out. I'm over 5E in general but I know I'm in the minority and even though I prefer PF2E for D&D-type simulation I'm fully aware that 5E is better for Actual Play, especially how D20 does their episodes.

Also, Aabria rocks so I'll always check out her content.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

kiminewt posted:

Watched the new Breaking News episode. I enjoyed it, and I enjoy most dropout, though I don't watch the roleplaying stuff. However I can't help but feel trepidation at the fact that all shows seem to be slowly converge on being the same improv semi-parasocial show.

This has been their business strategy for the past two-three years, basically. Unscripted lets them save on the costs of writing and is way easier to shoot.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This has been their business strategy for the past two-three years, basically. Unscripted lets them save on the costs of writing and is way easier to shoot.

Yeah I always assumed that's the primary reason that there's like ten Um Actually episodes for every one episode of anything else, it seems like the simplest and least expensive show to produce. Write some wrong trivia. Find a couple guests. High ROI, even if not every episode is a 10/10.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I will say I love musical theater, and musical improv is incredible to me.

I also don't need any more of it in my life. Having it bleed into Breaking news and Make Some Noise does muddy the waters too much for me. I think Dropout does work better when you've got distinct shows.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Interestingly, Aabria posted on Tumblr and said she knows of the grumbles about picking 5e for this and that she has a reason for it, beyond convenience or familiarity.

OK now I’m extra psyched for this :dance:

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I will say I love musical theater, and musical improv is incredible to me.

I also don't need any more of it in my life. Having it bleed into Breaking news and Make Some Noise does muddy the waters too much for me. I think Dropout does work better when you've got distinct shows.

Yeah, my issue is more this than with unscripted show. It's better when the shows are more distinct. I also don't really like musical theatre (though I did enjoy the Game Changer episodes) which is probably a part of it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
This Make Some Noise with Izzy, Brennan, and Erika is one of the best. Not too many sounds, but solid jokes/non-musical improv.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

dirby posted:

This Make Some Noise with Izzy, Brennan, and Erika is one of the best. Not too many sounds, but solid jokes/non-musical improv.

It is by far the horniest thing on Dropout not featuring Grant.

Also I noticed that this season they are really going to the GoodCop/X-Cop well. But it also always has a big ACAB energy so I'll allow it

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

dirby posted:

coming right out of the gate with The One Jew In Whoville jfc

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Mob posted:

No joke, this is how I realized Izzy and Brennan are the modern Burns/Allen

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Drink every time Erika has to hide from the improv.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I just figured out an ethical use of Hollywood's proposed AI actors tech: Brennan feeds his Trump impression into the machine so we can watch it for hundreds of hours and he doesn't need to torture himself by performing it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Jesus loving Christ the Grant O'Brien Breaking News episodes. :stonk:

FIFTY?!

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 26, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Jesus loving Christ the Grant O'Brien Breaking News episodes. :stonk:

FIFTY?!

Ngl those are the eps I use to introduce people to dropout

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
That can't be right

Respect for Erika growing with every appearance on every show. Precisely how I'd react to sharing a stage with Izzy and Brennan.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Mob posted:

A+ material, especially coming home from breaking the fast to this. I have to think they scheduled this ep for Yom Kippur on purpose. I was absolutely screaming through the whole thing, the way they are now tailoring the prompts is absolutely killer.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
“Grant’s written a lot of prompts, why don’t we use them all in one episode?”

:stonk:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Tiktok is about to get a LOT of edits of Brennan's Dom DM.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
JUNIOR YEAR!

Edit: In January :(

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Somberbrero posted:

JUNIOR YEAR!

Edit: In January :(

Apparently the only announcement of this is the rebooting of the #d20-fantasy-high Discord channel? Or did someone spill the beans elsewhere and this was done in response?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Magitek posted:

Apparently the only announcement of this is the rebooting of the #d20-fantasy-high Discord channel? Or did someone spill the beans elsewhere and this was done in response?

https://youtu.be/XvDk6C1zvuI?si=ImTvWIKMv_mahrP1

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Edit: nm

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think it's part of the Dropout 5th anniversary announcement. Sam has a video upcoming on the YouTube channel.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
HOOT GROWL HOOT GROWL HOOT GROWL

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Froghammer posted:

HOOT GROWL HOOT GROWL HOOT GROWL

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The announcement is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvX3oinPTCg

They're dropping the College Humor brand, now it's all Dropout, baby!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Lot of new shows coming out, here's a list I found in the Discord. Not sure how many are real, but other than the Never Stop Blowing Up D20 I think they all make sense.

Dimension 20: Dungeons & Drag Queens Season 2
Breaking News
Make Some Noise
Dimension 20: Never Stop Blowing Up
Play It By Ear
Thousandaires
Dimension 20: Fantasy High Junior Year
Um, Actually
Adventuring Academy
Dropout Presents
Adventuring Party
Dirty Laundry
Nobody Asked
Very Important People
Smartypants
Game Changer

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

As fun as the improv shows have been, do hope at least one of those is a scripted one (Breaking News doesn't count).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvDk6C1zvuI

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dirby posted:

Erika is on fire this episode. Her four screams just rocked.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pinwiz11 posted:

Drink every time Erika has to hide from the improv.

Their reaction to Brennan calling the unseen sub/player a 'good little girl' had about 50% cringe and 50% Dean Pelton dot gif energy.

OTOH their approach to Wicked Switch Of The West took a HARD left turn that I wasn't expecting. Especially the full ahegao face at the end

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Gaz-L posted:

Their reaction to Brennan calling the unseen sub/player a 'good little girl' had about 50% cringe and 50% Dean Pelton dot gif energy.

OTOH their approach to Wicked Switch Of The West took a HARD left turn that I wasn't expecting. Especially the full ahegao face at the end

The subtitles also went hard on that part

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
A Polygon interview with Brennan and Sam also went up at basically the same time as the video, with a little more context and a little more info about at least one of the new shows: https://www.polygon.com/23889773/dropout-anniversary-collegehumor-brennan-lee-mulligan-sam-reich

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ngl those are the eps I use to introduce people to dropout

I originally subscribed just to watch the second one in full. Putting one for free and one behind the paywall is the smartest thing they ever did.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Random but related: TIL that Brennan wrote the comic Strong Female Protagonist. Like, I suppose I knew it when I read the comic but never put 2 and 2 together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, time to finally watch Fantasy High!

Quick question, for people that have been around for a while, what was the experience level of the players for tabletap games, back in season one? Were they all green except for Brennan?