Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I was late learning about the Christman news, but god bless that beautiful creature and may he have a swift recovery.

I didn't hear the explanation until today because I have a kid now and it takes me like three literal days of occasionally listening in the car on the way to daycare to get through anything. May his child similarly cramp his vibes when healthy.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

*living under a rock-ishly*
Where's this week's episode?!!!!!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Small update from Chris in the Cush Vlog subreddit:

quote:

Hi all. Was chilling with Matt today, he asked me to come on the sub and read him some of the nice things people were writing, he appreciated hearing it.

So, I thought I’d ask for another thread. If people want to post some things he might like to hear…kind words, things they’ve been up to to uphold grill thought, things you think might make him laugh, just good treats you’ve had or film/tv takes, whatever you think might make some entertaining supportive light reading. I have to take two days off Matt hangs (we’ve got a whole crew doing companion shifts 24/7), so have some time to let some comments build up.

Little improvements day by day. We also did a few chapters of Simplicius Simplicissimus and Game of Thrones until his own milk of the poppy kicked in.

Great to hear.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

mmm milk of the poppy... Christman is off the bean

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Vargatron posted:

mmm milk of the poppy... Christman is off the bean

Cush took the perc

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The 6 Million Dollar Chapo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bobjr posted:

The 6 Million Dollar Chapo

https://youtu.be/SpVbVz7s8SA?si=rPZbxSsAM-qlFyFx

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

err posted:

Great to hear.

:unsmith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

err posted:

Great to hear.

I can’t find that post. Can you link it? I’d like to leave Matt some comments and well wishes.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't use Reddit because it seems like a shithole, but best wishes to Matt. He'll be back to ranting in no time.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I can’t find that post. Can you link it? I’d like to leave Matt some comments and well wishes.

https://old.reddit.com/r/AcidMarxism/comments/16sfiaz/some_reading_for_matt/

think its private and the mods accept if you message them

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Since people think that the thing was a stroke I just gotta say it would suck to have a stroke right before going on vacation and I hope Matt gets better before all of his PTO is used up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he could also do FMLA so he doesn't get fired, or have HR send out an email asking other employees to pool their PTO

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

My partner suggested I put on "those strident communists you like" while we were driving today because he was falling asleep and I started to tear up

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

for real though I hope Matt gets better soon and I feel badly about it irl

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

err posted:

Great to hear.

Chris I know you read the thread, pls tell Matt I've been waging a online guerilla war against his detractors.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Chris I know you read the thread, pls tell Matt I've been waging a online guerilla war against his detractors.

It won’t change their minds, and it will just cause you to see more distressing stuff. Have you tried grilling?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like this show in general but Matt was probably the single person most responsible for my move further to the left over anything else. I know it's cliche to say but he puts into words feelings I've had for years about the system and society, and just seems to actually truly care about people. I hope he recovers soon and can spend lots of time with his new kid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At this point I find the outpouring of hatred for Chapo more nostalgic than anything. Complete nobodies I haven't thought about in years, who aren't known for anything but being annoying on Twitter, coming out of the woodwork to once again blame a podcast called Chapo Trap House for Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 US presidential election. It's surreal.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol I think I started listening to Chapo because I ran out of "Keeping It 1600" episodes and wanted more politics podcasts.

woooooooo boy that feels like forever ago

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

lol I think I started listening to Chapo because I ran out of "Keeping It 1600" episodes and wanted more politics podcasts.

lmao oh no

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

lmao oh no

You know, you start out as a commie teenager, and then you go to college. And college really tries hard to put you on the lib track. And then a really charismatic centrist lib gets elected president, and it seems right.

Then the Dems rig their primary for someone who goes on to lose to Donald loving Trump, and you realize you got lulled into a dumb sense of End of History security and everything has actually been getting much worse all those years you were barely paying attention and you were correct as a commie teenager.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Halloween Jack posted:

At this point I find the outpouring of hatred for Chapo more nostalgic than anything. Complete nobodies I haven't thought about in years, who aren't known for anything but being annoying on Twitter, coming out of the woodwork to once again blame a podcast called Chapo Trap House for Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 US presidential election. It's surreal.

You know, this "dirtbag left" stopped Hillary from getting elected, who would have handled COVID perfectly. So if you think about it, they're directly responsible for the deaths of millions of people. Makes you think.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
The vlogs really kept me going during the early days of quarantine. It was really nice to watch him find some kind of center to his thinking over time while the rest of the world spun out of control.

Also, I'm not sure if we've looked far enough into the possibility that the Telemarketer guy saying "capitalism isn't that bad" triggered some kind of rage-induced aneurysm.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

rachel ray romano posted:

The vlogs really kept me going during the early days of quarantine. It was really nice to watch him find some kind of center to his thinking over time while the rest of the world spun out of control.

Also, I'm not sure if we've looked far enough into the possibility that the Telemarketer guy saying "capitalism isn't that bad" triggered some kind of rage-induced aneurysm.

It did in at least some sizable portion of the fan base. But probably not Matt

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

wheres my reheated slop

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

PostNouveau posted:

You know, you start out as a commie teenager, and then you go to college. And college really tries hard to put you on the lib track. And then a really charismatic centrist lib gets elected president, and it seems right.

Then the Dems rig their primary for someone who goes on to lose to Donald loving Trump, and you realize you got lulled into a dumb sense of End of History security and everything has actually been getting much worse all those years you were barely paying attention and you were correct as a commie teenager.

Same here, but between steps 1 and 2 I moved from my blue liberal bubble city to Florida. I even went to a phone bank event for Hillary (total volunteers = 2) and one of the debates (average age of attendees = 107) and then saw her eat absolute poo poo.

Who could have predicted this? Then I found Chapo to explain everything. I started to read more: economics, Marxism, LeGuin, leftist magazines. I joined the DSA and met a great friend with similar ideas. He moved away and I gave him my copy of Postcapitalism. I talked about communism and Chapo so much and harassed my high school friend for so long that he started listening. He was working in Republican politics and has since quit and become a communist.

What I’m trying to say is that Chapo has been there twice a week, for my entire commute, for the entire time. I saw them live when they came to my shithole state. They keep saying don’t be weird and don’t be parasocial, but I owe a lot of my sanity in this place to them. I made a new friend and got an old friend back. I hope Matt makes a full recovery and is soon holding his daughter and laughing at death.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

don't be a bedwetter :smug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It is amazing to see centrist go full mask off while right-wing freaks wish him well.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

PostNouveau posted:

I had a very similar story. I had just started a new job with a longer commute and needed something besides pulsing electronic beats to listen to. I actually downloaded some Chapo thinking it was the PodJohn cast. Luckily I clocked it fairly early and the rest is history. I wish I could remember what my first ep was. Probably some time around October 2018.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I knew about the show since it started due to people here posting about it but I was too lazy to actually check it out until like late 2017.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

err posted:

Great to hear.

yeah, nice to hear he's cogent

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I've had Matt and the rest in my ears for 2-4 hours a week since 2016. That's more than I talk to people at work about anything other than work. In a very indirect way Will helped me get through my dad's death from cancer by bringing up Stan Rogers. That last year was really rough, especially on him and that music helped me carry through. Maybe its parasocial but I'm sad Matt has had some extreme health event. Broke my heart to hear Amber talking about it because you could just tell from her voice it was really bad. Never met them and should maybe keep everything at ironic distance but I am or am not that poisoned. If anything the freak response highlights how fun and interesting the show is. Just the worst of the worst shitheels crowing over a guy's misfortune because they're mad fun was made of absolute monsters

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

feeling sad because someone whose work is important to you got sick and you hope they get better soon isn't an unhealthy parasocial relationship. that'd be like if you were trying to find out what hospital matt was at to visit him because you are inventing a reciprocal relationship based exclusively on how strongly you feel. or the classic felix reply guy who goes insane because he doesn't respond to his bizarre overly familiar bants on twitter

Djinn and Tonic
Jan 4, 2009
thinking about the post election night episode 2016, and felix recounting a very drunk matt yelling to no one "THIS IS LIKE IF loving GRIMACE WAS PRESIDENT" lol

get well soon matt

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

pretty sure the first episode I listened to was "We Live in the Zone Now" right after the election, after seeing them mentioned frequently in bernie threads here

love those guys

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Breadallelogram posted:

pretty sure the first episode I listened to was "We Live in the Zone Now" right after the election, after seeing them mentioned frequently in bernie threads here

love those guys

Yeah same. I had seen their reponse to the Daily Shoah guys wanting to debate them posted here and it was all the prompting I needed to look into the podcast, and got started with We Live in the Zone Now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I started listening after episode 11 or so after hearing my favorite political journalist Matt Taibi showed up....lol well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i was a debatelord and heard they owned some tradcath dude