Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, I try to make eye contact with any and every white person I see. Subway? You know I'm looking directly at you for validation. On the street? You know it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is an itinerary like this doable? I presume it means I would pass through immigration in Hiroshima? I assume if the airline is selling tickets for it then it must be doable.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Haneda to Hiroshima is a domestic flight, so you'd need to pass immigration in Haneda before your can board that. There are a bunch of pre-registration you can do to make it faster, and I think they also have a fast track for those with short transfers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Haneda-Haneda is easy.
After passport check and baggage claim, you can immediately re-check your bags at the drop off desk, then take the shuttle bus to the domestic terminal without your big suitcases.

This information doesn't seem to be explained well to some foreign passengers because I often see boomers forcing piles of suitcases onto the shuttles.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And it’s all ANA as well, not even having to change airlines. The time window is a little tighter than I’d like, but probably doable if that’s the only option.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
What would be the best way to get to Sakaiminato from Tokyo? Would it just be taking a train out there? I assume you don't need to get train tickets as far in advance as plane tickets but I could be wrong? Trains are not a thing in my population 10,000 town in middle Ohio.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Good Listener posted:

What would be the best way to get to Sakaiminato from Tokyo? Would it just be taking a train out there? I assume you don't need to get train tickets as far in advance as plane tickets but I could be wrong? Trains are not a thing in my population 10,000 town in middle Ohio.

Probably by airplane the train route is like 7 hours cause Sakaiminato is on the wrong side of the country. What is the context here cause if you are looking to visit Tottori on a vacation you might want to plan to hit up some other stuff in western Japan.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Last trip my first stop/stay was in Kinosaki to enjoy the onsens, and I had probably the most relaxing time of my life. I lamented though that as relaxing as it was after a long flight and some train riding I wish I had waited until the end of my trip to go. Trudging around Osaka and Kyoto wore me out.

I'd been watching Kusatsu hotel listings for a bit and there was for the longest time nothing to book except some expensive places on the outskirts and I wanted to be as close to the center of town as possible. Suddenly a bunch of places have opened up their bookings and close to the Yubatake. This is going to be at the tail end of my trip after herding my friends around Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto so I'm sure I'll be ready to just melt in some hot sulfur water.

I was looking around the town and there is a game center with the cork gun shooting gallery and pachinko so I already know one place I want to check out (I love that retro stuff) but I thought I'd check and see if y'all had any other places in town worth stopping in and checking out other than the main tourist attractions.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

teddust posted:

Probably by airplane the train route is like 7 hours cause Sakaiminato is on the wrong side of the country. What is the context here cause if you are looking to visit Tottori on a vacation you might want to plan to hit up some other stuff in western Japan.

I am a huge dweeb and I wanna see all the Gegege no Kitaro stuff and I've also been told it's pretty out there :nyoron:

Like we're going to be in Japan for just under 2 weeks and part of me wants to see more than Tokyo even though there's stuff in Tokyo we DEF wanna do like Akiba, Kirby Cafe..maybe hit up some of the big shrine/temples and Miraikan/Odaiba?

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 25, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm not even sure if reservations are a thing on the train from Okayama to Yonago, and getting seats the Shinkansen fra Tokyo to Okayama should be easy enough even just the day before. Either way, the entire route is served by JR companies so if you want to go there by train, visit a Midori no madoguchi ticket office two days before and you should be set. But yes keep in mind it's on the order of 7 hours from Tokyo, so you would use most of a day on travel.
I'm going to agree with the suggestion to save it for a trip where you'll be spending more time in western Japan overall.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I will bodyweight crush anyone who tries to poo poo talk gogo curry facetiously like they're giles corey

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

teddust posted:

But also, going by train is probably at least 33% cheaper, 50% cheaper if you want to get the plane tickets on short notice.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

ok how fast can the average japanese police officer run?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

nielsm posted:

But also, going by train is probably at least 33% cheaper, 50% cheaper if you want to get the plane tickets on short notice.

Short notice is probably more expensive by plane but it's like 2 man on shinkansen just to Okayama, and Google shows flights for Tottori between 11000 and 15000. Anyway, I personally would probably go by train because they are more convenient, but I would do something like get a hotel in Okayama, and stay a few days hitting up Hiroshima, Naoshima, and Tottori as day trips.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
What's cool to do in Fukuoka? I want to go visit the Nu Gundam over there but I figure I want to do more than that while I'm there.

(I'm thinking of arriving in Fukuoka and hanging around for a day or two before heading over to Tokyo)

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ramen stadium in Hakata Station, the best train station in Japan.

Canal City for walking and shopping if you’re into that sort of thing.

City is overall very nice, just a cool place to get a little lost in.

Some good Buddhist temples nearby if you’re willing to take a train an hour outside of the city.

Decent beaches, might be covered in kelp. Not for swimming or sunbathing though.

Eat a goddamn okonomiyaki

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

nielsm posted:

I'm not even sure if reservations are a thing on the train from Okayama to Yonago, and getting seats the Shinkansen fra Tokyo to Okayama should be easy enough even just the day before.

The Yakumo express from Okayama to Yonago is mostly reserved seating, and it can get surprisingly full.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AHH F/UGH posted:

Ramen Stadium moved to Canal City.

I mostly just ate ramen and got drunk, it's chill. You can see some of the fortifications from the Mongol invasions, those landed in Hakata Bay. I am not sure the fortifications are original but whatever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Revitalized posted:

What's cool to do in Fukuoka? I want to go visit the Nu Gundam over there but I figure I want to do more than that while I'm there.

(I'm thinking of arriving in Fukuoka and hanging around for a day or two before heading over to Tokyo)

Fukuoka was cool to relax and drink and eat in, but that was also when I lived in a tiny town in Kyushu so it was very much Getting Back to Civilization.

Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine is one of the big and famous ones of those, and the Kyushu National Museum is also right next to the shrine.

nielsm posted:

But yes keep in mind it's on the order of 7 hours from Tokyo, so you would use most of a day on travel.
I'm going to agree with the suggestion to save it for a trip where you'll be spending more time in western Japan overall.

For real - it’s kind of like traveling to New York City and wondering what’s cool in Washington, DC, or going to London and wanting to explore Paris as well. It’s not impossible, but it’s a haul over there even for domestic travel. Unless you set your travel in western Japan (Osaka/Hiroshima), you’re best served flying ANA or a low-cost domestic carrier Haneda to Tottori and back, at least that’ll be time and money efficient.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Thanks for the heads up there. We've got til next July to figure this stuff out, and I'm sure by then we'll know what we wanna do. Maybe that could be another trip some day because even flying local would mean packing up alllll our luggage and going on a teeny plane and then doing it again to get back to Haneda to go home which..yea.

Any suggestions for cool things in Eastern Japan that are not 7 hours away from Tokyo?

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 26, 2023

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AHH F/UGH posted:

Canal City for walking and shopping if you’re into that sort of thing.

City is overall very nice, just a cool place to get a little lost in.

Some good Buddhist temples nearby if you’re willing to take a train an hour outside of the city.

Decent beaches, might be covered in kelp. Not for swimming or sunbathing though.

Eat a goddamn okonomiyaki
All cool ideas I'll make a note of. Definitely want to check out ramen stadium. Is okonomiyaki particularly good in Fukuoka?

harperdc posted:

Fukuoka was cool to relax and drink and eat in, but that was also when I lived in a tiny town in Kyushu so it was very much Getting Back to Civilization.

Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine is one of the big and famous ones of those, and the Kyushu National Museum is also right next to the shrine.

Hmm that shrine sounds pretty neat.

Maybe I'll just wander around instead of having a solid agenda here.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Good Listener posted:

Any suggestions for cool things in Eastern Japan that are not 7 hours away from Tokyo?

Go to Enoshima and the Cup Noodle Museum in Yokohama, those can nicely fit together in one day trip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

Go to Enoshima and the Cup Noodle Museum in Yokohama, those can nicely fit together in one day trip.

Enoshima is also right near Kamakura and the Daibutsu plus a couple other shrines/temples, those two plus Yokohama for the evening are a Good Day Trip.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Thanks for the suggestions~ Was curious also if there are any particular noteworthy aquariums in the area? I know Tokyo has atleast one and I see Enoshima does, just curious if there's any standouts like "must see this". Aquariums are nice to me ahah. I did also see they might have events around Marine Day which probably will wanna try to avoid them that day?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Marine Day isn't a day that's actively celebrated, it's just the start of summer break for a lot of people (kids/students).

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Revitalized posted:

All cool ideas I'll make a note of. Definitely want to check out ramen stadium. Is okonomiyaki particularly good in Fukuoka?

It's pretty good everywhere, but I distinctly remember going to a few really good places there, or at least the objectively superior Osaka-style okonomiyaki was. I don't know about that Hiroshima garbage, that poo poo is for tourists.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wow just wow

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Revitalized posted:

FUK Coffee does really good coffee and also it's called FUK Coffee.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

AHH F/UGH posted:

It's pretty good everywhere, but I distinctly remember going to a few really good places there, or at least the objectively superior Osaka-style okonomiyaki was. I don't know about that Hiroshima garbage, that poo poo is for tourists.

lol, this loser doesn't like noodles in his okonomiyaki

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

slinkimalinki posted:

FUK Coffee does really good coffee and also it's called FUK Coffee.

I'm not much of a coffee connoisseur but I do drink a little bit. Looks like it's next to the ramen stadium, so I'll mark this on my map. I see some tasty snacks in there. And also that it's called FUK Coffee.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wouldn't call Hiroshima style garbage. It's like an A- to Osaka's A+.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

hiroshima oysters on a hiroshima okonomiyaki are the pinnacle of the 粉もの genre.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If it has noodles it's not real chili

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Marine Day isn't a day that's actively celebrated, it's just the start of summer break for a lot of people (kids/students).

But it’s a public holiday so everyone will be out, including and especially at places like Enoshima. It’s bad enough on weekends, that’s like a super weekend turbo EX.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
After they got featured in that recent Paranormasight game, I thought it might be cool to have a look at the locations for the "Seven Wonders/Mysteries of Honjo". (https://hyakumonogatari.com/2012/01/02/the-seven-wonders-of-honjo/) There seems to be plaques in each of the locations but I was wondering if anyone happened to be familiar with these and knew of a map that had the exact locations (lat/lon co-ords?) to make them nice and easy to find if I was to plan out my own little walking tour.

Or if there's a little guided ghost tour that visits them, that would be pretty cool too.

There's also apparently a pop-up shop in Marui Kinshicho with stuff from the game that I might check out if it's still running next month.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What all these people are missing is that Hiroshima okonomiyaki, Osaka okonomiyaki, Tokyo monjayaki, or even yakisoba is not about the crap you put in. It's about the crap you put on. It's all a medium through which you consume the sauce. If the sauce is good, nothing else matters.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Found the American

I mean, he's correct, too. But in America the Beautiful, all solid food is merely a sauce delivery vehicle.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Riptor posted:

Hotel Century Southern Tower is great; I've stayed there several times. Its far more "in" everything than the Regency is; the Regency feels far far more separate from the fun stuff, especially at night.

Just following up to say that this post was spot-on. I'm heading home on Saturday after two weeks in Tokyo, and this hotel has been loving terrific. The location (just a few minutes from Shinjuku to the north and Yoyogi to the south, although I used Yoyogi as my home station because it's so easy) is phenomenal for getting out and about, and my room has been super comfortable with great service. If I come back to Tokyo in the future, I'll be very tempted to stay here again.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

surf rock posted:

Just following up to say that this post was spot-on. I'm heading home on Saturday after two weeks in Tokyo, and this hotel has been loving terrific. The location (just a few minutes from Shinjuku to the north and Yoyogi to the south, although I used Yoyogi as my home station because it's so easy) is phenomenal for getting out and about, and my room has been super comfortable with great service. If I come back to Tokyo in the future, I'll be very tempted to stay here again.

Oh that's awesome! Thrilled to hear it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Question Mark Mound posted:

After they got featured in that recent Paranormasight game, I thought it might be cool to have a look at the locations for the "Seven Wonders/Mysteries of Honjo". (https://hyakumonogatari.com/2012/01/02/the-seven-wonders-of-honjo/) There seems to be plaques in each of the locations but I was wondering if anyone happened to be familiar with these and knew of a map that had the exact locations (lat/lon co-ords?) to make them nice and easy to find if I was to plan out my own little walking tour.

Or if there's a little guided ghost tour that visits them, that would be pretty cool too.

There's also apparently a pop-up shop in Marui Kinshicho with stuff from the game that I might check out if it's still running next month.

woooah I totally forgot about this. I just played that and loved it. Might be some fun padding to time in Tokyo. Too bad the popup shop will be gone by the time I go. Last time I went I ran into a Siren popup shop by accident.

edit: lol someone went looking

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 28, 2023