Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Gendry nailed that line. What a change from ARR level voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

1stGear posted:

"We did everything right" is not a lie or mistake.

christ, yes, I loved that. Game owns...

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[whispering under my breath] let them win...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Relyssa posted:

This is something I've been wondering for a while, thanks for clearing that up. Closest I've managed is 3% before phantoms. Figured they weren't skippable but wasn't positive.

I think he can't even die until he summons the phantoms so even if DPS is perfect and the LB is timed right he'll hold on to that last hit point until he does his big move.

Finishing him off with an auto attack is probably funny though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One of the finest line reads in the entire story.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

1stGear posted:

"We did everything right" is not a lie or mistake.

I still think about this

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
How do you even unlock the mentor roulette? It's not mentioned anywhere in the UI as far as I can see.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

How do you even unlock the mentor roulette? It's not mentioned anywhere in the UI as far as I can see.

Be a mentor. Also, clear everything except savage raids, ultimates, coils and current-expansion extremes.

Yes, this includes guildhests.

I think if you click on it when it's locked it'll tell you what you're missing.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well, how do you become a mentor then? Again, not mentioned anywhere :v: Is it supposed to be like a hidden feature or something?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Mr. Neutron posted:

Well, how do you become a mentor then? Again, not mentioned anywhere :v: Is it supposed to be like a hidden feature or something?

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Mentor_System_and_Novice_Network#Mentor_Requirements

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Ah. Well, turns out I already qualify. I hear they have somewhat of a bad rep though?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The issue with the mentor program is that people enter it not to help people, but to get the mentor-exclusive mount. This means that you get a lot of people that don't actually know the fights that they are mentoring for, or get pissed off when they are forced to do a fight in Mentor roulette that cannot be completed in one or two pulls (usually these are the ARR extremes). As well as that, there are some mentors that just give out and out bad advice in the newbie network channel, or just become petty tyrants within it.

The fact that you don't actually need to be good or knowledgeable to become a mentor means that the mentor crown is a bit of a joke in the community. There are good mentors out there that really do care about helping people, though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don’t have mentor roulette unlocked because I’m too lazy to do all the (Hard) optional dungeons and guildheists and old extremes, but I do have my BK crown and try and help sprouts.

Sometimes it’s very typing into a void though…

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

That Little Demon posted:

okay so without knowing too much, and don't spoil me please

about Warrior of Darkness

if what he says is true and his world can only be saved by destroying ours, I agree with him 100% and would do the same and his motivation is just. I would do whatever I could to save my family, my loved ones, even if it meant destroying a different universe, as cold as that sounds. It makes this story so so so so interesting and I hope to god they stick the landing on this because goddamn I love that loving motivation.... also its cool to hear the light can be bad as well when not in balance and how he described it is truly haunting. Good loving poo poo

It will take time for them to resolve this but have no fear, it will be resolved in a very, very satisfying way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mr. Neutron posted:

I don't know how to say this politely, so I'm going to be blunt.

If you can't google "how to mentor xiv" on your own, you're not ready for mentor roulette.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wear that crown and fail every mechanic in alliance raids with pride

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

I don't know how to say this politely, so I'm going to be blunt.

If you can't google "how to mentor xiv" on your own, you're not ready for mentor roulette.

I would argue not being able to do that makes them perfectly suited for mentor roulette

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I wanna be mentor in order to do alliance raids with "The Legend" title and burger king crown and still gently caress up mechanisms.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

To be clear, this isn't a personal failing or me saying you don't have the ability to do so in the future, Neutron. My phrasing of 'not ready' was deliberate.

In Mentor Roulette, you're the one who's expected to know how to herd seven cats through an EX trial. And if you come up in a duty you don't fully remember (which will happen, often), you need to be able to quickly look up and process the information about how to run it. You don't need to know everything about the game, but you need a good grasp of which information sources are reliable, and how to internalize that information. It's a skill that can be learned and cultivated, but it's a skill you're currently lacking.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 26, 2023

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Is it supposed to be like a hidden feature or something?

If you talk to The Smith (the NPC with the giant sprout over their head), they'll show you a window with a checklist and how close you are to qualifying. You can find them throughout the ARR zones (but most likely in the starting cities' Adventurers' Guilds).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I wanna be mentor in order to do alliance raids with "The Legend" title and burger king crown and still gently caress up mechanisms.

Don't forget to be toxic in chat when you do

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
the magic words: "you dont pay 4 my sub"

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Don't forget to drop a "..." if someone fails a mechanic!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Qwertycoatl posted:

Don't forget to be toxic in chat when you do
One of my friends went the opposite way and leaned into it: When she dies in easy content, she presses her macro that changes her title to Ultimate Legend and says /a ultimate legend btw

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mainwaring posted:

Don't forget to drop a "..." if someone fails a mechanic!

But that’s what I say when I die to the mech I know with my Burger King crown on!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pryce posted:

If you talk to The Smith (the NPC with the giant sprout over their head), they'll show you a window with a checklist and how close you are to qualifying. You can find them throughout the ARR zones (but most likely in the starting cities' Adventurers' Guilds).

When I last talked to that NPC (granted, that was about 300 hours ago) there wasn't any such option. Just the solo learning instances. I don't remember anything directing me to go and talk to him again either. That's why I wondered why it was seemingly a semi-hidden feature.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My FC is doing Nidhogg's Rage with a static of players new or new-ish to Savage Raiding, and folks are having trouble getting their heads around all the mechanics, so I'm throwing together a quick prototype/mockup for a possible visual aid/guide.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

okay so without knowing too much, and don't spoil me please

about Warrior of Darkness

if what he says is true and his world can only be saved by destroying ours, I agree with him 100% and would do the same and his motivation is just. I would do whatever I could to save my family, my loved ones, even if it meant destroying a different universe, as cold as that sounds. It makes this story so so so so interesting and I hope to god they stick the landing on this because goddamn I love that loving motivation.... also its cool to hear the light can be bad as well when not in balance and how he described it is truly haunting. Good loving poo poo

Agreeing with everyone that they resolve this in a very satisfying way. Wish I could experience this whole storyline for the first time all over again.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
okay... they REALLY couldn't find a way to not have be do the navel (hard) again.... this far in?! for FUCKS sake guys

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

okay... they REALLY couldn't find a way to not have be do the navel (hard) again.... this far in?! for FUCKS sake guys

Pay close attention to Titan's dialogue during the fight. They're doing this for a reason

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I don't blame you one bit for being skeptical after ARR, but from Heavensward on out, you will pretty much never be burned if you give the writers the benefit of the doubt and say "let's see what they're doing here"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

johnny park posted:

Pay close attention to Titan's dialogue during the fight. They're doing this for a reason

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Anyone play on a new Mac? I don't really want to get a PC to play but my home computer is due for an upgrade at some point.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

johnny park posted:

for fucks sake..... dude

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

for fucks sake..... dude

Learned a lil something about primal summoning today didn’t you?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I mean since Ysayle I had a feeling but geeez

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

johnny park posted:

No it's still really stupid, a tiny bit of dialogue doesn't fix it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mainwaring posted:

No it's still really stupid, a tiny bit of dialogue doesn't fix it

I think it does. What are they gonna do, make a new titan fight just for that or just have a flag for a special script for a fight that should be trivial to all involved at that point? It fits the story very well and works well in universe.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think it does. What are they gonna do, make a new titan fight just for that or just have a flag for a special script for a fight that should be trivial to all involved at that point? It fits the story very well and works well in universe.

Making you do an old level 50 fight during Heavensward is just silly. If they wanted to do it like that they should have made it a solo duty or cut the whole fight bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eh, it made sense at the time, but I really think it would work better as a solo instance or something.