Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Chibnall had too many galactic+ level threats. Higher stakes does not mean a better story, particularly when those stakes become meaninglessly big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CommonShore posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Chibnall had too many galactic+ level threats. Higher stakes does not mean a better story, particularly when those stakes become meaninglessly big.

I mean, RTD had the same problem in his first run, what with Davros threatening to "detonate all of reality itself" and Rassilon trying to crash Gallifrey into Earth.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the reality bomb just for the matter of fact way Davros drops that line "Why the reality bomb, of course" as if it is the most natural thing in the world to have developed something like this and he's surprised the Doctor wasn't already thinking along the same lines.

I don't begrudge Chibnall wanting to bring some absolutely mad, inconceivable poo poo into the universe. Though that said, the Quranx effectively occupies exactly the same space as the Ux outside of "It presents a face of somebody you would feel inclined to protect as a defense mechanism" which is a very cool idea probably better suited to a different story/alien.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Jerusalem posted:

I love the reality bomb just for the matter of fact way Davros drops that line "Why the reality bomb, of course" as if it is the most natural thing in the world to have developed something like this and he's surprised the Doctor wasn't already thinking along the same lines.

This. I'm certain you've said this thing previously, or it's just so perfect I'm imagining someone did. This is the Davros perfectly encapsulated in the Baker /Malloy Davros ep (the one where 6 and Davros work together for a company).

He really thinks The Doctor and are on the same wave length, and it shows how they're both cut of the same genius - but circumstance led them down different paths.

Love Malloy so much in BF.

Open Source Idiom posted:

No. It stays grim, though since Scott Handcock left it's also turned weirdly fashy in the way a lot of BF Time War stuff has turned. e.g. Leela working for genocidal vivisectionist slavers.

Thanks for the heads up on the Time War series - too bad they're doing that fash theme, though I understand it from a story (well, except the character assassinations involved - Leela may have agreed to do that earlier in gallifrey but not after all those series of character development and growth).

I just don't want to have to hear fashy poo poo in my escapists audio, unless they're getting mercilessly ridiculed - I have to deal with enough fash in my daily life now, I don't need it in my chosen entertainment.

Anybody keeping track of the Doom stuff? I see BF has released a set, but nobody I know has pulled the trigger. Is it just a more confusing Time Lord Victorious thing, or worth checking out?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the Time War series - too bad they're doing that fash theme, though I understand it from a story (well, except the character assassinations involved - Leela may have agreed to do that earlier in gallifrey but not after all those series of character development and growth).

I think there are ways of telling these kinds of Time War stories -- with the protagonists having their morality testing by extremis -- and then there's what these ranges can sometimes dip into, which is the Doctor attempting to enact change from within a literal space-time Apartheid empire, or Leela learning to respect a man who stuck a shock collar around her neck and forced her to work for him. The latter, in particular, is loving appalling. You can't walk poo poo like that back on a moral level, and this idea that Leela -- one of the companions least enamored by decorum politics in all of Who -- would develop a professional working relationship with her literal torturer is bugnuts.

Obviously I'm going to listen to the next one, this poo poo is an absolute train wreck.

McGann posted:

Anybody keeping track of the Doom stuff? I see BF has released a set, but nobody I know has pulled the trigger. Is it just a more confusing Time Lord Victorious thing, or worth checking out?

I've heard the first two. She's fun, she's the kind of character Doctor Who doesn't usually have as a lead -- in that she's an uncomplicated person who kills people for money -- but she's decently funny partly by contrast to the world around her and partly because the writers like giving her fun stuff to do. The first story is good for it, and surprisingly emotional. The second... it's Robert Valentine, he's an ideas guy who's a bit mediocre in the execution, and the actors talk about how the characters don't quite make sense to them in the extras (e.g. "I thought my character was meant to be more professional that this, but apparently not").

Warthur
May 2, 2004

CommonShore posted:

This is a lesson the new show repeatedly fails to learn, even though the classic series learned them over the span of the 1960s Dalek stories. The First Doctor ones are a constant escalator of escalation until Masterplan has them plotting to conquer an area of space so vast that even if you escalated beyond there to "all space" and "all time" you are well in the area of diminishing returns because you are already at a scale beyond what anyone can reasonably imagine anyway. Then the two Second Doctor serials dial back the stakes and make them awesome again.

Not one of the post-2005 showrunners has had the courage to do a low-stakes pure historical. Even though Vincent and the Doctor would have been improved greatly by being one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The best way to defeat a villain wanting to rule over most or all of the galaxy/universe/time is to let them. Give em a week of managing that much stuff and they'll go bored or insane and fall apart.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Daleks don't seem to know the difference between a galaxy and a solar system in their masterplan.

The best Time War story I've heard is Starship of Theseus. The Eighth Doctor shows up to a cruise ship with a companion we've never sene before, and as the temporal damage increases, the history of the ship keeps changing. Then the companion keeps changing names without the Doctor even noticing due to her history being damaged.

The sheer panic McGann has in his voice when he realises that he can't even remember how long they've been travelling together for is horrifying.

The War Doctor sets are great because, well, John Hurt, even if the BBC didn't let them go as far as they might have wanted in terms of the Doctor being more ruthless. I really liked the War Doctor/Ollistra dynamic, with her being willing to let the ends justify the means and at loggerheads with the Doctor's way of fighting.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 26, 2023

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Khanstant posted:

The best way to defeat a villain wanting to rule over most or all of the galaxy/universe/time is to let them. Give em a week of managing that much stuff and they'll go bored or insane and fall apart.

The Unbound Doctor did this to the Unbound Master

McGann
May 19, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The Unbound Doctor did this to the Unbound Master

Haha yes that is one of the best gently caress you/compassionate still moves ever. Since they mention the code or whatever it was had a positive effect on the mind .

Just a good series overall. I still need to listen to the last one in the series, but have bounced off it due to the setting(see my avoidance of fashy stuff from re gallifrey time war) .

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Warthur posted:

Not one of the post-2005 showrunners has had the courage to do a low-stakes pure historical. Even though Vincent and the Doctor would have been improved greatly by being one.

This was my biggest issue with the Series 11 historicals. Both Rosa and The Witchfinders really didn’t need their forced sci-fi elements and could have worked well as pure historical.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I definitely want a pure historical. Demons of the Punjab is another I think would have been just fine or potentially even stronger if it had "just" been about the story of Yaz's grandmother's experience of The Partition.

The Crimson Horror is Victorian Sci-Fi for sure, but I did like that the little creature was explicitly said to be from earth as opposed to an alien, and it wasn't the cause/source of the evil plan, it was just another weird addition to the deranged genius of Diana Rigg's character. "Do you know what these are, Doctor? The wrong hands! :haw:" is such a great line.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the difference with cosmic level threats under Chibnall v RTD is the latter knew how to make the threats feel big. Even if some points of the story didn’t make sense there was a good emotional pull most of the time.

Chibnall’s Who felt inconsequential a lot of the time. S11 at least felt like a nice break from the overcomplicated time shenanigans Moffat seemed to require in every story, back to the Doctor jumping around planets and saving people, etc. But when he tried to go bigger it fell flat.

I honestly think a lot of it comes down to not developing the cast that well. Having a larger TARDIS crew was fine in theory but we didn’t get invested in them the way people cared about Rose or Martha or Donna- or Amy Pond for that matter. And that’s not on the performers obviously.

That and though Chibnall did end up facing extraordinary challenges what with COVID and the like, I feel like it was more often the case that production challenges started really hurting the stories.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think a bigger production challenge was only being able to produce 11 episodes before having to take a year off. Meanwhile, RTD is producing episodes that won't air until 2025 right now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Chibnall Who: terrible, and such small portions

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That was the thing- we were getting fewer episodes per season and yet something like Orphan 55 still snuck through. That's the sort of episode you expect out of a show with a 26-episode order that can't afford to nix a premise that just isn't working.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zaroff posted:

This was my biggest issue with the Series 11 historicals. Both Rosa and The Witchfinders really didn’t need their forced sci-fi elements and could have worked well as pure historical.

There was something at least a little bit interesting in Rosa's villain being just a racist thug from the future.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1706956912514765060

McGann
May 19, 2003

Oh poo poo, Murray Melvin AND Derek Jacobi? Shame we lost John Hurt - throw him in, add some Beevers Master and we've got the smoothest sounding audio ever created.

I'll buy it even if Melvin and Jacobi just take turns reading the phone book. They're both old enough, they probably have phone books around aomehwee, to boot 😅

That's a character I never see mentioned but he's one of my favorites to pick up from the Torchwood range - Melvin's Bilis i mean. I'm curious how much he'll factor in, given his passing in April.

McGann fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 27, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

There was something at least a little bit interesting in Rosa's villain being just a racist thug from the future.

There's something to be said for deploying the subtlety of a sledgehammer. I mean, Malorie Blackman's most famous series is basically "what if it was you who got treated like we do, huh? How would you like that?": The Novel, and those books are good. Well, the first one is, I haven't read the others.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

McGann posted:

Oh poo poo, Murray Melvin AND Derek Jacobi? Shame we lost John Hurt - throw him in, add some Beevers Master and we've got the smoothest sounding audio ever created.

I'll buy it even if Melvin and Jacobi just take turns reading the phone book. They're both old enough, they probably have phone books around aomehwee, to boot 😅

That's a character I never see mentioned but he's one of my favorites to pick up from the Torchwood range - Melvin's Bilis i mean. I'm curious how much he'll factor in, given his passing in April.

It was recorded in 2021/2022, so his ep was long recorded before his passing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

In addition to the above, he's only going to be in the third episode (which might be a sequel to one of the TW's going off the description).

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Big Finish is having a Companion Chronicles sale, and I'm pretty sure each story from the first 5 seasons are all below $2 right now. Just giving y'all a heads-up if you're not aware.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Did Big Finish only ever take one photo of Derek Jacobi to use for the War Master covers or something?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm reminded of when BBC released some new promo shots of Paul McGann for The Power of the Doctor and someone replied "Big Finish cover artists saved for the next decade"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

I'm reminded of when BBC released some new promo shots of Paul McGann for The Power of the Doctor and someone replied "Big Finish cover artists saved for the next decade"

You’re incredibly right.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1707047550333726931

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s 2005 all over again! Brand new behind the scenes show immediately after each episode, Doctor Who Unleashed!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1707107857999471102

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

It’s 2005 all over again! Brand new behind the scenes show immediately after each episode, Doctor Who Unleashed!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1707107857999471102

Between the shared universe of Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures and the BTS/recap show of Confidential it's incredible how before the times RTD was.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

How 90s is the font on Unleashed? Well, it's the same font they used on the BBC Books EDA/PDAs!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven’t seen any episodes since like 2011 but on a whim I spun up the first Capaldi episode and oh man this guy’s a treat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I haven’t seen any episodes since like 2011 but on a whim I spun up the first Capaldi episode and oh man this guy’s a treat.

If you stuck through his first ep (and boy howdy is the first half of that one bad), then you're in for a treat once he gets going.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Planet…of the pudding, brains.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ohhhhh Kill The Moon sure is somethin. :allears:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Something bad and smelly

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My favorite thing about Kill the Moon is that it's followed by legitimately two of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever made. This is me being positive about Kill the Moon.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bad and smelly and constantly getting heavier, like an egg

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There’s so much stupid poo poo in this episode. It’s an absolute blast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Clara and Courtney hitting the button to stop the baby from being killed, and that saving of its life brings up a big ABORTED message :vince:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The messaging isn't just mixed, it's beaten, and scrambled. Like an EGG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

By contrast, the only complaint I have about this next one is that it isn’t in monochrome.

Edit: and then it should switch to color when the gig is up.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 29, 2023