Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Keep the government out of my business but force other businesses to sell me parts. Right to repair is good, but he's only invested in it because it affected his repair business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He's like if that Maddox guy repaired laptops instead of started a website in the 90s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Louis Rossman thinks that teachers being in a union is a direct reason why he got bullied in school, and that if he’d been at something like a charter where the teachers don’t have job security he would’ve had a better time.

As somebody who taught at a charter many moons ago I don’t have the time or the thumb typing strength to enumerate all of the layers of how wrong he is, but it strikes me that he has a very instrumental view of people.

He treats compassion and interpersonal awareness in an educator as a competence issue that could somehow be solved through the free market

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sorta off topic but since we are kinda in laserdisc/DVD chat:

How good were/are Superbit remastered DVDs vs normal DVDs?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

slidebite posted:

Sorta off topic but since we are kinda in laserdisc/DVD chat:

How good were/are Superbit remastered DVDs vs normal DVDs?

They skimped on features in the name of bitrate, and it pays off: within the limits of the format they’re visually sharp with good color accuracy and a lack of artifacting in general, and feature DTS 5.1 as well as Dolby Digital audio.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

He's like if that Maddox guy repaired laptops instead of started a website in the 90s

Maddox actually turned out to be a pretty chill guy

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Louis Rossman thinks that teachers being in a union is a direct reason why he got bullied in school, and that if he’d been at something like a charter where the teachers don’t have job security he would’ve had a better time.

As somebody who taught at a charter many moons ago I don’t have the time or the thumb typing strength to enumerate all of the layers of how wrong he is, but it strikes me that he has a very instrumental view of people.

He treats compassion and interpersonal awareness in an educator as a competence issue that could somehow be solved through the free market

He comes across as a guy who knows he is an rear end in a top hat and tries to direct it in a positive direction, with limited success.

Small business owner brain is definitely on point though :v:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Really? Out of all 2000s internet personalities, I expected him to have become a super big chud the most

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

gradenko_2000 posted:

The word "chill" is doing a lot of work there.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering so sorry Maddox if I am libelling you but didn't he try and relaunch his brand during peak Twitter and just kind came off as a weird relic of the male-centric 'I love bacon' era of the internet? Like a dude wearing a Female Body Inspector t-shirt to his high school reunion

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hasturtium posted:

They skimped on features in the name of bitrate, and it pays off: within the limits of the format they’re visually sharp with good color accuracy and a lack of artifacting in general, and feature DTS 5.1 as well as Dolby Digital audio.
Thanks, I actually have a couple but never of the same movie on "regular" DVD so I couldn't really compare but they did *seem* really good. IIRC, Das Boot and Dracula.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a Denon DVD player (DVD-1930) with an HDMI port and one of those magical Faroudja chips in that I bought for £40 off eBay, and it worked magic on DVDs of The Wire.

Of course nothing will beat a proper re-scan of the 35mm source, tidying up scratches and putting it out on Blu-ray.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
ulmb 2 at 540hz is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqa7QVwfu7s

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

This is begging for a blind comparison.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm sure that guy can totally tell 540 vs 360hz and isn't just shilling that for some affiliate money

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Doubleblind ABX test or gently caress off.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
LTT actually did a reasonably scientific test of whether high refresh rate makes a difference and they found that it does, but returns dimish after 144 Hz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

LTT actually did a reasonably scientific test of whether high refresh rate makes a difference and they found that it does, but returns dimish after 144 Hz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA

Citation needed for it being remotely scientific in the slightest

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

it has paul in it, automatically unscientific

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I absolutely believe that there is a diminishing return on FPS.

You can definitely tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. 60 and 90 do look a bit different. 90 and 120? Maybe? 120 and 150? Probably pretty hard to tell

And so on

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lots of people believe they can’t tell a difference past 30fps and lots of people have the sensory experience of a vegetable.

Actual research on fighter pilots puts the max distinguishable frame rate at something like 200 FPS+ but video games complicate this because they tie control responsiveness to frame rate so you can perceive differences in hand eye coordination.

I’m not going to watch the LTT video to see how much rigor they put into setting up an experiment but you could do worse than getting an office full of 30-year-old dudes together and having them hit a buzzer when they think a video’s frame rate has changed.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I can definitely tell a difference between 120 and 144, and 144 and 240. I limit my games to 200 though, I don't play twitch shooters anymore

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

MarcusSA posted:

It was done blind (test subjects did not know which refresh rate they were using) and they collected actual data about the test subject's accuracy in various tasks that required aiming with a mouse. By LTT standards, and I think by Youtube standards in general, it's very scientific, though it has an admittedly small sample size.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Inept posted:

I'm sure that guy can totally tell 540 vs 360hz and isn't just shilling that for some affiliate money

This but unironically. Ali seems like a good dude, and his opinions seem genuine. He's just really enthusiastic about this kind of stuff and he's also an obsessive and ridiculously good competitive fps player.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would like to register my dissatisfaction with the tech channels falling back to graphics settings guides and my recommended videos being full of CYBERPUNK OPTIMAL GRAPHICS SETTINGS videos right now. Some of that is probably me being too old to want to gently caress about min-maxing graphics settings instead of just dropping to a lower preset if I'm not getting what I want.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This but unironically. Ali seems like a good dude, and his opinions seem genuine. He's just really enthusiastic about this kind of stuff and he's also an obsessive and ridiculously good competitive fps player.
It's trivial to do a blind ABX test for him to prove that he can, if he wanted to.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Here's the most useful study I can actually find on the matter of high refresh rates:
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep07861

It certainly isn't a great study (10 subjects only) but from what I can understand of it: Humans can detect a light flicker up to 500hz under absolutely perfect conditions, (singular large blocks that flicker back and forth.) Like maybe the only useful gaming application of a 500hz monitor would be pong.

But perhaps most interestingly, is the fact that if you don't have crisp edges that sensitivity goes down. So it's very possible that a 500hz 1080p monitor is actually worse than a 1440p 360hz monitor because you lose the ability to distinguish the change/speed the muddier the image is.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

In the video, he says it's like looking through a window instead of at a screen. It's a decent hypothesis that there's some fps threshold far beyond the 120/144hz rates where suddenly your brain is tricked into thinking it's real life. But that needs to be backed up with something more rigorous than just some bloke's impressions of the product. And if he does say how he got the thing and what his sponsorship for the review is, I missed that. Basically, I'm interested in the concept, but this video doesn't come close to making the case for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

It was done blind (test subjects did not know which refresh rate they were using) and they collected actual data about the test subject's accuracy in various tasks that required aiming with a mouse. By LTT standards, and I think by Youtube standards in general, it's very scientific, though it has an admittedly small sample size.

Honestly I’m sure it was I just don’t trust anything LTT does.

Personally I definitely notice the difference between 60 and 120 but beyond that :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
At some point, the LCD layer doesn't change fast enough between desired states, to enable these framerates. Overshoot or not.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Here's the most useful study I can actually find on the matter of high refresh rates:
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep07861

It certainly isn't a great study (10 subjects only) but from what I can understand of it: Humans can detect a light flicker up to 500hz under absolutely perfect conditions, (singular large blocks that flicker back and forth.) Like maybe the only useful gaming application of a 500hz monitor would be pong.

But perhaps most interestingly, is the fact that if you don't have crisp edges that sensitivity goes down. So it's very possible that a 500hz 1080p monitor is actually worse than a 1440p 360hz monitor because you lose the ability to distinguish the change/speed the muddier the image is.

This study doesn't take into account other factors relevant to monitors such as persistence blur.

Combat Pretzel posted:

At some point, the LCD layer doesn't change fast enough between desired states, to enable these framerates. Overshoot or not.

Except this one seems to, judging by the measured response times.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

I would like to register my dissatisfaction with the tech channels falling back to graphics settings guides and my recommended videos being full of CYBERPUNK OPTIMAL GRAPHICS SETTINGS videos right now. Some of that is probably me being too old to want to gently caress about min-maxing graphics settings instead of just dropping to a lower preset if I'm not getting what I want.

I think it's because everyone would want to use RT, but not everyone can. It's not as simple as "drop it to Medium" like it is for any other game because even Ultra rasterized can be a different graphical experience from RT with compromises.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The new Linus video is about Wendell's KVMs. There's a strange amount of Wendell talking to the camera and promoting himself and talking himself up. It looks like a good product but it's a very strange thing to put in your video. Maybe it's a big thank you for standing by LTT.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I have a LevelOneTechs KVM. I don't use it because it sucked and couldn't produce a half decent audio signal.

vvv
Yeah, although it appears that Overwatch has a hardcap at 600fps?

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 26, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you even drive a modern 3d game at anything resembling 500fps at high resolution?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

games like overwatch, valorant and counterstrike, sure, and players of those games are the primary market for such a fast monitor

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You can be mad at Ian for shilling FN’s new bullshit HiPower with its plastic guide rod and surface finish that looked like my toddler made it out of homemade playdoh.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's because everyone would want to use RT, but not everyone can. It's not as simple as "drop it to Medium" like it is for any other game because even Ultra rasterized can be a different graphical experience from RT with compromises.

Not only that, but there's multiple options for rt as well as dlss and frame regent and ray regen and regen regen and so on
Looks lovely with all the fixins, makes me wish I had a mega computer

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

You can be mad at Ian for shilling FN’s new bullshit HiPower with its plastic guide rod and surface finish that looked like my toddler made it out of homemade playdoh.

drat Dr. Cutress has fallen far indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I have a LevelOneTechs KVM. I don't use it because it sucked and couldn't produce a half decent audio signal.

mine is working great so far (4 computer, 2 monitor, USB-C), fingers crossed