Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Tokelau All Star posted:

Latest Rez Dogs was incredible. Now that I have kids, this hit me right in the chest. Devery Jacobs and Ethan Hawke both need Emmys for this. It would have been so easy to just write Elora's dad as some piece of poo poo guy. Instead, we got a real picture of a flawed man who knows he hosed up real bad, knows he can't ever make up for it, and is barely holding it together trying to do better with the kids he does have. I really felt for both him and Elora.

This was masterclass writing and acting. Just real humanity on screen. This season has been fantastic. Give this show all the awards, there's nothing better on TV this year.

Agreed on all counts. The acting in this episode was just phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah that was fun insanity. I appreciate that the aliens basically just give her therapy at the end.

That's interesting, my interpretation was they didn't, they realized that she was so hosed up and alienated that she wouldn't care if the body snatchers won. She's already controlled by her trauma and that's why she could spit the bug out.

I liked No One Will Save You. Great movie? Absolutely not. Nice visuals with good alien spooks that knows what makes Greys creepo? 100%

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's interesting, my interpretation was they didn't, they realized that she was so hosed up and alienated that she wouldn't care if the body snatchers won. She's already controlled by her trauma and that's why she could spit the bug out.

I liked No One Will Save You. Great movie? Absolutely not. Nice visuals with good alien spooks that knows what makes Greys creepo? 100%
I figured the journey thru her thoughts and memories gave her emotional catharsis. First she gets the chance to kill herself, then she gets the chance to comfort herself.

She's clearly hosed up tho for that to be her Happy Ending yeah

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Holy poo poo Paramount+ on my Roku shows ads for stuff when I pause what I'm watching. That's incredibly evil and ingenious

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
My interpretation is that the aliens think they have some higher calling to make other races as happy as possible that they're actually improving the universe and they *prefer* to not murder the people they're trying to save but in this case nothing worked so that one grey was just like "I have a better idea" and the boss was like "Alright whatever I don't have time for this poo poo."

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Upsidads posted:

Mr.Inbetween
Im late to this train but this show is well edited, well written and well performed. Also child actor who acts like a child is such a rarity.

Yeah, it’s great. I binged it a few weeks ago. Crazy how the lead actor/writer has done pretty much nothing except the show and the old movie it was based on.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Papercut posted:

My 7-yr-old loved Elemental and my 10-yr-old liked it

Basically the same in my household. They never finished the new Little Mermaid, but I've seen them watch Elemental a couple of times. You don't even have to dig deep on the allegory, D+ literally has a little special that autoplays after where the creator of the movie talks about his inspiration of the movie being him as a kid in his NYC apartment building imaging items around him coming to life and playing out his daily life.

Turning Red is also a really excellent movie that got hosed by COVID and being released straight to streaming. I really think that one would have made some bank if it had gone into theaters. Elemental was almost a victim of the movie oversaturation we've talked about a couple times in the Greenlighted thread, where good movies can't make their money back because too many high budget movies are getting released at once and there's not enough audience money in circulation for them all to make enough. I think Elemental managed to pass that threshold, but several other perfectly fine movies got hosed by this in 2023.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched The Clearing and Three Pines. My name for this genre that I have just invented is "gray tv". My next gray tv adventure I'm about to depart on is Top of the Lake. Was that a good show? Did it have a satisfying ending?

Any other similar recommendations?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched The Clearing and Three Pines. My name for this genre that I have just invented is "gray tv". My next gray tv adventure I'm about to depart on is Top of the Lake. Was that a good show? Did it have a satisfying ending?

Any other similar recommendations?

I didn't watch the second season of Top of the Lake but the first one was good.

And if I understand you correctly, you could add Les Revenants to the list.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egy3n-7DQAU

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 25, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I'm a guy who sort of like horror, but like A24 like horror like Men, Under the Skin, and especially It Follows. Always looking for more stuff like that. Found this list that's giving me a couple ideas: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/a24-horror-movies-ranked-best-worst/

Robert Altman's 3 women is possibly the most A24 movie that predates A24. Eerie rather than outright scary. Anyone who has every cast Mia Goth or Anya Taylor Joy in a spooky movie has almost certainly watched it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
lol i love this

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1706299250470945174

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Upsidads posted:

Skinamarink might be considered the worst honest attempt at making a horror movie I have seen. It reminds me of Battlefield Earth where the director thought that the entire movie should be Dutch angles. This is as fundamentally unsound.
The movies subjects are almost never in frame. Not even partially in frame. Its mostly just odd angle shots of nothing with pounds of film grain added.
There is audio so poorly mixed (intentionally) the movie has captions.
It starts with a statement that it had covid protocols in place to ensure the safety of the crew and actors. I could argue that that is very accurate as over the course of 130 minutes it almost has no actors and frankly evidence of a crew beyond a camera

You really gotta stop and think about some of this stuff.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's a cheap movie and marble hornets looked better

Good for them on the cost to develop to profit ratio.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s very deliberate in what it’s trying to do. But what it’s trying to do I can’t relate too because being up that late as a kid and being weird wasn’t scary to me but fun. :shrug:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Would it have been fun if there was an actual monster that killed everyone in the house? Use your imagination drat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's really funny to say "half the time the characters are not in frame, and they don't speak clearly". This movie sure is made in a strange way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The director forgot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And there was no crew (?)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The boom mic guy was there. Barely

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think you can understand the intent and still not be terribly interested in 10 minute static shots of the corner of a room with subdued old timey music playing or whatever

In other horror streaming news I saw No One Will Save You and thought it was a pretty good romp but I don't really know if it totally earned its ending

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sure, but you should probably not make it seem like you were actively trying to not understand the intent. Use your words better than that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

High Warlord Zog posted:

Robert Altman's 3 women is possibly the most A24 movie that predates A24. Eerie rather than outright scary. Anyone who has every cast Mia Goth or Anya Taylor Joy in a spooky movie has almost certainly watched it.
Definitely seconding this

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sure, but you should probably not make it seem like you were actively trying to not understand the intent. Use your words better than that.

Oh that wasn't me it was someone else I've never seen Skinamarink because both the positive and negative reviews are about how deliberately tedious it is and I barely even like regular horror movies so it was an easy miss for me

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Randomly watched Im a Virgo. What an interesting piece of filmmaking. Bottoms Riley is his own universe of pointed surreality, and he's so effective in communicating that visually. The ending seemed a little sermonizing, tho I def agree with his point. It seemed the logical riposte to superhero vigilantes but still oddly deflating nevertheless. I guess that's the point. Either def worth watching and then thinking about.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Shageletic posted:

Bottoms Riley

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Field Mousepad posted:

The boom mic guy was there. Barely

now I want to see a horror movie where people think there might be a boom mic guy showing up in their house at random times of night

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This third season of Picard is good, but every time I hear "Frontier Day" I involuntarily think of Tom Goes to the Mayor

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.slashfilm.com/1400801/no-one-will-save-you-director-brian-duffield-exclusive-interview/

Director of No One Will Save You about questions he got from streaming studios when he pitched the idea of a film with no dialogue:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.slashfilm.com/1400801/no-one-will-save-you-director-brian-duffield-exclusive-interview/

Director of No One Will Save You about questions he got from streaming studios when he pitched the idea of a film with no dialogue:

lmao perfect

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve Yun posted:

Been saying this forever

brian dufffield posted:

Yeah. I love the Grays. It's maybe my favorite monster design. Maybe it's real, based on Roswell, who knows? I just love it. I felt like there had been such a lack of it for a really long time. I would hear about an alien movie coming, and then I would see the trailer and be kind of disappointed that it was this other thing. After so many of those trailers and movies that I loved, I was like, "I just miss my boy." It came out of being like, "Where is this?" I know you can get the keychain and the emoji of it and all those things, but it was because that was the first thing that people were like, "We found this thing," in '45, was it? I can't remember the year. I'm so bad with years. There's something really fun and exciting about that.

[

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watched it tonight, rippin good time.

I loved that every 5-10 minutes there was a new WTF moment

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I hate hate hate the state of movies right now.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

New season of Sex Education is out on Netflix. Hoping it stands up to the others!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I hate hate hate the state of movies right now.

I went to the theater to see Mission Impossible recently. It is amazing that Tom Cruise did that stunt bike jump to base jump. But the rest of the movie was so telling that writers are on strike.

It was soooooo loving lame by the train scene which was just viscerally wrong somehow. Just pathetic how the jump cuts made zero sense.

Basically don't spend that money at the theatre or you will be punished.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I agree it was the weakest of the recent MI movies, but it was finished long before the writers strike so that had nothing to do with it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah I thought MI:Dead Reckoning was ok. Not the best one in the series but passable. They've always been kind of a loose excuse for Cruise to do wild stuff and run and stare intently while going after a apocalyptic object code-named The Seven Leafed Clover or The Dragon's Tail or My Sister's Scrunchie or what have you.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The MI issues were because it was made at the height of covid restrictions so every dialogue scene between more than two people is edited to death to try and hide that fact, I don't think Ving Rhames is literally ever in the same room as another person (and of course the cast + crew health and safety is paramount but it really messes up the kind of slick momentum and practical effects stuff this series is known for)

The biggest failing though is that submarine scene at the beginning which was apparently originally the opening to the next film, but Cruise insisted they put it at the beginning of this one because I guess he thought audiences would be confused? But it's such a bad mistake in several ways: it ruins the central mystery of the film, it makes the opening feel way too long, and it just undermines the entire structure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

10 Beers posted:

New season of Sex Education is out on Netflix. Hoping it stands up to the others!

I didn't love it. They spend a lot of time with new characters who are kind of annoying and the older characters don't really have much to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wolfsheim posted:

The MI issues were because it was made at the height of covid restrictions so every dialogue scene between more than two people is edited to death to try and hide that fact, I don't think Ving Rhames is literally ever in the same room as another person (and of course the cast + crew health and safety is paramount but it really messes up the kind of slick momentum and practical effects stuff this series is known for)

The biggest failing though is that submarine scene at the beginning which was apparently originally the opening to the next film, but Cruise insisted they put it at the beginning of this one because I guess he thought audiences would be confused? But it's such a bad mistake in several ways: it ruins the central mystery of the film, it makes the opening feel way too long, and it just undermines the entire structure.

It was doomed to begin with once they decided to break it into two parts.