Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

A Moose posted:

hearing goons age out of the coveted 18-36 demographic where EVERYTHING ON EARTH is targeted at them is pretty funny ngl

Joke's on them I was broke when I was in that demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Dameius posted:

The worst period of music was when what I like was not popular. The best period of music was when what I like was popular.

The best period of music was when what I like was popular, the worst period was when the generation after me started making music influenced by the music I liked.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

How often do you think about the Nickelback?

I'm thinking about Nickelback right now

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
More like trash metal.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There was a shitload of good rock and rock derived music, it just wasn't what was super popular. You're talking about the golden age of thrash metal, etc

Exactly, it wasn't super popular then, pretty much everyone only heard about it after. The mainstream stuff was dire. All the stuff that thrash was made as a response to.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I've been seeing a lot of young folks wearing Nirvana t-shirts lately and I'm genuinely curious if kids these days are discovering them or if it's just a "this looks cool" thing.

:corsair:

Most older band logos have been licensed out to loads of different companies - H&M, Primark, Boohoo, etc. I'd assume it's just a design for some people

My 2.5 year old has a Nirvana tee shirt that they picked out themselves, for instance

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I've been seeing a lot of young folks wearing Nirvana t-shirts lately and I'm genuinely curious if kids these days are discovering them or if it's just a "this looks cool" thing.

H&M has been selling them here so there has been some sort of licensing deal made somewhere to pump them out for fast fashion places.

Kmart has been selling GnR shirts but this is Australia so you only really notice because a different sort of kid is wearing their shirt, the overall number of them doesn't appear to have changed much.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I spent the first 30 years of my life assuming that when I grew up I would eventually come to understand why the term "rock" can refer to anything from heavy metal to thrash to like, the Beatles or Frankie Valli

Then I gave up

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Golden Girls comes on after Full House

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Dameius posted:

The worst period of music was when what I like was popular. The best period of music was when what I like was not popular.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

They're probably Buddhists

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

My teenage nephew loves Nirvana and Eminem. My sibling clearly failed as a parent.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dillbag posted:

Golden Girls comes on after Full House

Is next on Лиса

edit:

steinrokkan posted:

I'm thinking about Nickelback right now

Is Nickelback in the room with us now?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The best thing to come out of Nirvana is Foo Fighters

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nenonen posted:

How often do you think about the Nickelback?

about half as often as the roman empire

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Data Graham posted:

I spent the first 30 years of my life assuming that when I grew up I would eventually come to understand why the term "rock" can refer to anything from heavy metal to thrash to like, the Beatles or Frankie Valli

Then I gave up

Generally: instrumentation is drums, bass, guitar, vocals, and the rhythm accentuates the backbeat and is not syncopated.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Is next on Лиса

\

No thanks, I watch PBS :agesilaus:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Is next on Лиса

edit:

For some reason, German TV did its own "German A Bundy" show and it looked similarly awful

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Loving the braces-wearing skinhead version of Al Bundy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my daughter is 15yo and has Nirvana and Bob Dylan shirts, and is going to see Dylan live next month

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Is the music I grew up with now retro and thus cool again?

Oh no.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Trabant posted:

No thanks, I watch PBS :agesilaus:

What, did Mrs. Slocombe not want to have her pussy showing in the photo?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

TotalLossBrain posted:

For some reason, German TV did its own "German A Bundy" show and it looked similarly awful

german comedy is a contradiction

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Listen:

• The death of rock and roll was the instant guitar players started loosening the strap so that they held it lower than nipple height.

• True R&B requires at least one trumpet player.

• Every rap song released after Pigmeat Markham's Here Comes the Judge is manufactured corporate pablum.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Antigravitas posted:

Is the music I grew up with now retro and thus cool again?

Oh no.
It's funny to me that fun "retro" music was from the 80s when I was growing up in the 90s, and often less than ten years old.

But I guess 1991 was a really hard line.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Lmfao

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol at so many German versions of shows being called "Help, ______________________!"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

hawowanlawow posted:

lol at so many German versions of shows being called "Help, ______________________!"

Help I am stuck to my mattress

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"Help, I awoke as a giant vermin!"

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Every decade since the advent of recorded music has been loaded with multitudes of diverse, interesting artists, very few of whom received generous radio airplay.

The decade during which I experienced pubescence, however, is objectively the best decade for music.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Every decade since the advent of recorded music has been loaded with multitudes of diverse, interesting artists, very few of whom received generous radio airplay.

The decade during which I experienced pubescence, however, is objectively the best decade for music.

I was into recorded music before recorded music existed.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

I was into recorded music before recorded music existed.

Sitting in the towne square just headbanging my absolute rear end off to 200+ sheets of orchestral notation in complete silence

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I read somewhere that the best background music for a party consists of songs popular when your guests were in college (or would have been, age-wise).

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Sitting in the towne square just headbanging my absolute rear end off to 200+ sheets of orchestral notation in complete silence

I read sheet music to enjoy my music because it is the only way that you can ensure that you're experiencing the music the way the artist intended.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dameius posted:

I read sheet music to enjoy my music because it is the only way that you can ensure that you're experiencing the music the way the artist intended.
Same but I haven't really learned enough to read anything more advanced than 4'33".

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Help I am stuck to my mattress

Oh no buddy, you made your bed (sticky), now lie in it

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Nenonen posted:

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

Jabberlock posted:

german comedy is a contradiction

Well, they did try and kill all the funny people.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Subjunctive posted:

my daughter is 15yo and has Nirvana and Bob Dylan shirts, and is going to see Dylan live next month

Be prepared to console her. Dylan's live performances these days are... not so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Nenonen posted: