Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Only two hours into The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood, but it's really cool so far. Haven't seen many hosed up little guys to put on my cards yet, unfortunately.

e: and immediately after posting I unlock The Penitent One from Blasphemous, but I'm not sure how hosed up and/or little that guy really is

very hosed up, tiny compared to the bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
he's catholic so maxed up on the hosed up scale, yeah

e: pretty sure blasphemous also had a bunch of homages to other indie games (spanish ones in particular) tucked in a corner, i think it was a gallery of paintings behind a hidden tunnel. it had a spot for red strings club (previous game from the CWS devs) iirc

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 17, 2023

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

MegaZeroX posted:

Oh I forgot to post about it, but Attorney of the Arcane released yesterday https://store.steampowered.com/app/1590230/Tyrion_Cuthbert_Attorney_of_the_Arcane/

Basically, its Ace Attorney but with a D&D-style magic system.
Overall, I've had fun so far, and I would recommend it to AA fans, with the caveat that the characterization is maybe like 10% AA in case 1, and up to 20-25% in case 2 (in terms of letting the characters breath), so don't go in expecting that.

Just wanted to say thank you very much for recommending this! As someone who really likes both AA games and spending hours nerding out about D&D spell mechanics, Tyrion Cuthbert is pretty much an instant purchase for me. Won't be able to play it for a bit, but definitely going to give it a try.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

all I know about T-Penny is that he's a simp for Miriam Bloodstained

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

avoraciopoctules posted:

Just wanted to say thank you very much for recommending this! As someone who really likes both AA games and spending hours nerding out about D&D spell mechanics, Tyrion Cuthbert is pretty much an instant purchase for me. Won't be able to play it for a bit, but definitely going to give it a try.

Yeah I enjoyed it! I'll add that (since I finished all 5 cases since that point) IMO the writing mostly improves as the game goes on. The cases were written in order, and it kind of shows, as the writer improves over time.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

avoraciopoctules posted:

It was pretty solid, but I do think it suffers overall for not having actual danger on most things (minus certain sections where you actually have a health bar).

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Cyouni posted:

It was pretty solid, but I do think it suffers overall for not having actual danger on most things (minus certain sections where you actually have a health bar).

As someone who save scums in AA regularly, that was more of a positive for me than a negative.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood is super good! About 4 hours in so far and it has already made me cry multiple times and there some pretty cute witches 🥺

when i played the demo i was hoping there was a way to get in a relationship with the arbiter (maybe there is, dunno) but this has been a wonderful alternative.

she has so much swagger...

anyway there is a bit with a pre transition trans person where everyone sings happy birthday and this happens:

lmao

(for those not in the know the dev's previous game was accused of being transphobic because there is a puzzle involving a creep using someone's deadname as their password and that you should never deadname, even in fiction lol)

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A few other VN nobody's mentioned:

I quite liked Fatal Twelve. Pacing was a bit off and the lead is a bit ineffectual, but the characters are all likable and it's got some neat mystery stuff (though sadly it's a straight VN, you don't actually get to investigate stuff ala Phoenix Wright, that'd be cool). It's not a yuri VN but it does have elements of it, if that's a plus to you. I could totally have gone for a bit more low stress interactions, but that's just how I roll.

Soundless - a modern day salem in a remote area. An EN visual novel that tries to go for the vibe of JP horror VN like Higurashi. I think it more or less succeeds from what I've played.

One Night Hot Springs - It's free and less than an hour. If stuff about being LGBT in Japan interest you, go play it!

Ones I have had rec'd to me but haven't played and might be worth checking out to see if they'd be your vibe:

Corpse Factory (Horror, I liked the demo)
Aoishiro (yuri)
Shinrai - Broken Beyond Despair (mystery)
Sound of Drop - fall into poison - (horror, same dev as Fatal 12; I think this one is older and not as polished?)
SeaBed (It was compared to Haibaine Renmei, in terms of energy-level and being kind of a mind bender)
Lucid9 (mystery)
A Light In the Dark (Thriller? It's about a guy who's been kidnapped lol)

There was another kind of interesting one about two college game devs that had some platforming sections I thought was cool, but it also felt about a third finished.

Green Wing posted:

Have you tried Hate Plus, the sequel? Its pretty good! I like all of Christine Lor's VNs very much though (wasn't too keen on GITCL though, the combat felt dull.)

Personally it's not bad, but it's missing something compared to Analogue because neither Mute nor Hyun-ae have a direct connection with what's going on, and you also are only with one of them the entire time ||other than the fanservice feel good route.||

It's nice if you just want to like, sit and read a history text book with Hyun-ae, though. I mean there is something nice about that. :3:

It's not ero!! is also a great song.

Shastahanshah fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 17, 2023

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Shastahanshah posted:

A few other VN nobody's mentioned:

I quite liked Fatal Twelve. Pacing was a bit off and the lead is a bit ineffectual, but the characters are all likable and it's got some neat mystery stuff (though sadly it's a straight VN, you don't actually get to investigate stuff ala Phoenix Wright, that'd be cool). It's not a yuri VN but it does have elements of it, if that's a plus to you. I could totally have gone for a bit more low stress interactions, but that's just how I roll.

yeah i'll second fatal twelve as 'pretty good'

the protagonists were fine enough but i was a big fan of the villains, which was cool because they got almost equal screentime

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

dmboogie posted:

the protagonists were fine enough but i was a big fan of the villains, which was cool because they got almost equal screentime

the pirate lady with the pointy teeth was so cool

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

dmboogie posted:

Thirded, I enjoyed my time with it but wasn't blown away, perfectly reasonable to play.

It also contains one of the most "settle down, fellas" localisations of "itadakimasu" I've seen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's a classic meme

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
question for other people playing cosmic wheel, does the Grethe romance still happen if you don't choose romance earlier in the story? I saw multiple people say that scene feels railroad-y, but i thought that was the point because it was fulfilling your pact and Grethe even has a line where she asks if you put a love spell at on her.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does that happen when you exorcise her Behemoth, or later on?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

update: I believe I have acquired a truly excellent hosed up little guy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hwurmp posted:

Does that happen when you exorcise her Behemoth, or later on?

It's the follow up to that when she gives you a major arcana

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Midway through Case 3 in Attorney of the Arcane. The writing feels a little rough, and it's definitely nowhere near as polished as an entry in the games it is drawing inspiration from, but I'm having a great time. If the developers iterate and make another lawergame, I think they could build on this and create some really fantastic stuff!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

It's the follow up to that when she gives you a major arcana

In that case it does not happen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hwurmp posted:

In that case it does not happen.

OK thought so, I think people are just bad at reading between the lines lol.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Today's the day for Goodbye Volcano High and I'm happy to say that it's running pretty decently on my old computer. The demo had a lot of performance issues but this is good.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

question for other people playing cosmic wheel, does the Grethe romance still happen if you don't choose romance earlier in the story? I saw multiple people say that scene feels railroad-y, but i thought that was the point because it was fulfilling your pact and Grethe even has a line where she asks if you put a love spell at on her.

As far as I can tell, it's not defined by picking Romance during your contract, but by the answer you give Grethe when she asks what you think about romance. I was like "eh, can take it or leave it" and didn't trigger her romance. Terrible choice imo. But I'm hitting the end of this run and it seems like terrible choices were kind of a trend, except for my deck, which looks baller as hell

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There was some discussion about hidden gem VNs a little while ago. I was browsing the Hidden Gem website and found this game called South Scrimshaw:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2443110/South_Scrimshaw_Part_One/

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Speaking of hidden gems, I just finished The Midnight Sanctuary, which I got on recommendation from someone in this thread. Definitely a unique experience, for the surreal atmosphere and art if nothing else. A 3D VN where most characters are transparent outlines into colorful shape dimension doesn't sound like something that should work but it does. It absolutely does.

The narrative is decent too. A very solid entry into the creepy Japanese village folk tale genre.

A solid recommend.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I’m two days off of Goodbye Volcano High and I can’t stop thinking about it. While I had frustrations with it as I played and I think it doesn’t live up to all its potential, I was very touched by the story in the end. Now that I’ve seen credits and I can zoom out and look at the bigger picture, some of my problems with the story don’t seem so severe and the overall effect and emotional core has stuck with me.

One of the ways I judge the quality of art is if it “feels” bigger than the screen (or page or whatever) it is depicted on. Just because it’s about the apocalypse doesn’t mean that’s easy. Through all of the drama, GVH is about being true to yourself no matter what the obstacle– whether it be disapproving parents or the literal end of the world. It’s a defiant celebration of humanity.

The more I contemplate on this game, the more I love it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Gnosia is coming to PS4, PS5, and the Xboxes! :dance:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Oh wow

https://twitter.com/VisualArtsUSA/status/1704666840616886371?s=20

This one is by the main writer of Rewrite, which I really liked.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Started playing Stella of the End.

This game is going to make me cry at the end isn’t it?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Finished Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood a while ago and very much recommend it. Here's a few cards from my deck with which I definitely didn't break the universe it was like that when i found it stop asking

As expected, I didn't get the best ending, so I might give it another go after I let the experience rest a bit. It's going to be painful since in order to explore other routes I'll have to make choices that I find morally repulsive, like letting an influencer witch vibe check my political campaign. Then again the game forced me to become a witch liberal* so how bad can it be

*To clarify: The game did not force me to become a witch liberal. My witch friend told me she was running for office and asked if I wanted to help and I said "sure" without asking about her platform, and I got multiple chances to take it back but that would have been rude so I got stuck as campaign manager for incremental witch change, which I'm pretty sure it's the exact same experience as doing a Moralist run in Disco Elysium. In short, I forced myself into becoming a witch liberal.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood was good until the election subplot went into full effect. The only part that really stuck out to me after that was a scene where the MC thinks she's back in the real world after trying to kill herself at the beach (I think my memory sucks) and her friends are trying to help her process it, but the MC keeps telling them about witch life. At the end of the scene it just turned out to be witchy subterfuge which felt kind of deflationary.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I need to finish it, I got distracted by other game >.<

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Spiggy posted:

Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood was good until the election subplot went into full effect. The only part that really stuck out to me after that was a scene where the MC thinks she's back in the real world after trying to kill herself at the beach (I think my memory sucks) and her friends are trying to help her process it, but the MC keeps telling them about witch life. At the end of the scene it just turned out to be witchy subterfuge which felt kind of deflationary.

Yeah, I've noticed quite a few players not vibing with the election subplot. Story-wise I don't mind it, since it serves as a good excuse for you to keep doing the things that the game's already good at, that is hosting witchy guests and trading witchy gossip. Gameplay-wise, though, the mechanics felt a bit off. It's not that the election system was underbaked - if anything, it was a bit of the opposite. You get all these bells and whistles to plan your electoral strategy and that's great but it just gave me the impression that this was something designed for a different game and somehow ended up getting recycled into this, for a section that's maybe one third of the game's runtime, if that? Also I can't confirm this since I've only done a single run, but I got the impression that your electoral performance matters extremely little short of getting you an achievement, since the final act makes those poll numbers dance like crazy anyway.

That said, I still had a good impression of the ending. As expected of a ~choices matter~ kind of game, near the end you start getting, uh, what's the technical term, 'funneling' of the branching paths down into a more reduced set of options, but from what I could see through my furious savescumming there was still a pretty healthy dose of variation in how things could turn out. There's a reasonable balance between coming to terms with the consequences of your own choices and constantly getting ratfucked by the RNG will of your cute custom tarot deck.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I probably sounded harder on the game than I meant- it has great world building, good dialogue, and there are a lot of cute scenes, but the central conflict and gameplay shift was not for me and that's ok. If anything I'm glad I picked it up so the developers know that the people want pixelated gay space witches.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This new track rules
https://twitter.com/MisericordeVn/status/1707125032508592266

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Finally getting Hate Story & Hate Plus out of my backlog after seeing them mentioned upthread -- thanks whoever recommended them! The first was a quick fun/depressing read although in the course of getting all the endings the game's scripting skeleton really started poking through

I've just now powered down after day 2 in the sequel and am (vague spoilers for an 11 year old novel) seriously concerned about *Mute's mental state. Hoping she doesn't do anything drastic overnight. I thought I'd dislike the irl time gating but honestly it's working for me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Make sure you bake the cake

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Some life stuff happened, but I finally finished the main story of Witch on the Holy Night.

Responses to my earlier posts about this VN suggested that I consider Aoko’s circumstances and upbringing before condemning her as harshly as I did. That’s a fair point, one that I tried to keep in mind in the last quarter of the story. (I think Soujyuro’s conversation in the church with the rather creepy priest was also meant to underline this point.)

The final battle between Aoko and Touko was spectacular, but the aftermath of the battle and especially the epilogue left me with a lot of questions. For example, it’s not clear to me why Soujyuro retained his memories at the end of the story. I got that Aoko and Alice never found the spell to remove his memories because they never wanted to find it; they genuinely enjoyed having him around and didn’t want to lose him as a companion. But why didn’t Aoko’s “grandfather” remove them? He didn’t seem to care who won Aoko and Touko’s fight or have any kind of emotional connection to anyone for that matter.

I noticed the change in Aoko’s demeanor at the very end of the story. It’s subtle but unmistakable. For the first time in the story she’s smiling at Soujyuro with a genuine warm smile, maybe her first since she was basically forced to become a mage.

I’m going to read the side stories before giving Mahoyo a final grade, but I wound up enjoying it more than I thought I would earlier on, and I am looking forward to the English release of Tsukihime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

hepcat posted:

But why didn’t Aoko’s “grandfather” remove them? He didn’t seem to care who won Aoko and Touko’s fight or have any kind of emotional connection to anyone for that matter.
This is the sort of thing that tracks if you're more familiar with how messed up mage families can be in this setting (FSN being the most prominent example). Siblings fighting it out to the death over some topic of magical significance would at best bring indifference to a mage parent and at worst be actively encouraged by them. Also in this case the dude is just a spirit with no body or whatever and seems kind of checked out in general.

As for why he didn't erase his memories it remains to be seen, it's the sort of thing that you'd imagine would get elaborated upon the sequels that we never got. For now safe to just chalk it up to finding it interesting or at least not liable to "dilute the mystics" or however they phrase it since clearly Soujyuro's past is not that of just a standard civilian.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having watched the Kara no Kyoukai movies I think 'mages are huge dicks' is the most consistent aspect of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Technically an adventure game, not a VN, but WOW, Norco is really good. :stare:

I'm also diving deep into Fata Morgana due to the spooky season....meanwhile my partner and I will be playing Paranormasight together.