Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/canadianpolling/status/1706723629948715432?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

I know he already resigned but it’s very funny to see who is casting the blame here.

It's probably because he didn't Slava hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Who else could take the fall? Freeland sure as hell isn't going to. The speaker is the obvious scapegoat.

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012

uninterrupted posted:

libs in 2016: "i'd definitely punch a nazi!"
libs in 2023: "i want a nazi to cum in my rear end!"

IN THIS HAUS WE BELIEVE
Aryan lives matter
Fuhrer's rights are human rights
Most humans are illegal
Race science is real
Befehl ist Befehl
KINDNESS IS EVERYTHING

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

FrancisFukyomama posted:

is the speaker in Canada a less important role than it is in the us? that seems like a pretty high level party official to make fall on his sword for something that clearly wasn’t even him

Maybe Freeland has some dirt on this guy and made him take the fall for it.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Alpha 1 posted:

IN THIS HAUS WE BELIEVE
Aryan lives matter
Fuhrer's rights are human rights
Most humans are illegal
Race science is real
Befehl ist Befehl
KINDNESS IS EVERYTHING

Lebensraum, lachen, lieben

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

there should be a Victims of Russian Disinformation Foundation (VORDF)

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Maybe Freeland has some dirt on this guy and made him take the fall for it.

the nazi lives in Rota's riding and hometown in North Bay and it's likely that Rota was the one who suggested the invite. obviously he's in no position to go above the party leaders so he had to have gotten an OK from them first especially since this is for a very high profile delegation and political event so there's no way he went behind everyone's back and snuck in a nazi when nobody was looking.

also his job as speaker of the house of commons is responsible for the security of parliament hill so they definitely ran a background check on this dude before letting him set foot in the HoC

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/canadianpolling/status/1706723629948715432?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

I know he already resigned but it’s very funny to see who is casting the blame here.

:discourse:

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukraine - Ukraine soldier Andrii's account of disaffection and desertion highlights the problem Ukraine faces as it tries to preserve its veteran units and mobilise thousands more soldiers for a long war ahead, while public anger over corrupt officials, draft dodgers and the treatment of exhausted soldiers grows

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ukraine-draft-dodgers-dream-up-extreme-ways-to-avoid-the-front-p87kdjxgj

Ukraine draft dodgers dream up extreme ways to avoid the front
Anthony Loyd, Lviv
Saturday September 23 2023, 12.01am BST, The Times

The first wound Andrii suffered was a shot in the shoulder fired by a Russian infantryman in eastern Ukraine last spring. The second came minutes later, as the 20-year-old sergeant lay writhing in pain in the mud: he was hit in the back by shrapnel from an exploding Russian shell.

If he is ever wounded again, he says, it will probably be by his own hand.

“I am absolutely ready to shoot myself in the leg rather than ever go back to the front,” said Andrii, who deserted from his unit after he was discharged from hospital with bullet fragments in his left shoulder and ordered to return to the front.

“I was a contract soldier, a professional,” he said from his refuge in Lviv, speaking on condition that his full name was withheld. “But after seeing so much corruption and incompetence involved in the system that paid no attention to me or my wounds, why should I go back to be meat in a trench?”

His voice is rare in a society whose civilians and soldiery remain largely committed to President Zelensky’s aim of driving Russian forces out of Ukraine. But his account of disaffection and desertion highlights the problem Ukraine faces as it tries to preserve its veteran units and mobilise thousands more soldiers for a long war ahead, while public anger over corrupt officials, draft dodgers and the treatment of exhausted soldiers grows.

Andrii, who saw repeated action until he was wounded, with all but one other man in his six-man team killed in action, blamed much of his anger on the way he was handled by a Ukrainian military medical commission.

Most of the bullet passed in one side of his shoulder and out the other, but it fragmented against bone, leaving shards of metal pressed against the joint. An operation to remove the fragments at a hospital in Vinnytsia was only partially successful, and months later he still had persistent pain and numbness down his left arm. A doctor suggested he pay a bribe to have himself released from the army.

“The doctors said that they couldn’t take all the bullet fragments out without the risk of damaging nerves so badly that I’d lose the use of my arm,” said Andrii, who had joined the army as an 18-year-old volunteer. “One doctor offered to write me a certificate saying I was unfit for future service if I paid him $1,500. But I didn’t take his offer. At the time I was still angry, keen to fight the Russians and to get my revenge for my dead friends.”

Ukraine’s military medical commissions, which assess the fitness of mobilised men for active service as well as the health of serving soldiers, became the focus of a corruption scandal this year.

It is alleged that a system of kickbacks paid by unwilling draftees or soldiers to doctors to issue “white ticket” exemptions from service enabled the head of Odesa’s regional military mobilisation office, Yevhen Borysov, to buy a $4.35 million villa in Marbella. Borysov was arrested in July and is under investigation.

Ukraine’s National Agency for the Prevention of Corruption said Borysov acquired illegal payoffs totalling $5 million — and he was far from alone. Subsequent investigations have caused Zelensky to sack the head of every regional mobilisation office.

Anti-corruption activists investigating the military’s medical commissions after Borysov’s arrest were appalled at what they found. Valeriy Bolhan, an associate at the Centre for Public Investigations, an anti-corruption NGO in Odesa, told The Times that more than 50,000 white tickets exempting men on medical grounds had been issued by commissions under Borysov’s jurisdiction.

“We don’t know how many of these have been issued illegally, or how many were issued due to real health issues,” said Bolhan, adding that Odesa’s corruption was not exceptional. “Until the scandal broke and the investigations began, the price for an illegal white ticket for someone wanting to escape mobilisation was around $7,000 to $8,000. Since the authorities began clamping down, the price has risen to more like $20,000.”

The flaws with Ukraine’s military medical commissions and mobilisation departments cut both ways. On the one hand, corrupt officials take money to allow men to escape the draft; on the other, eager to retain experienced troops, they often ignore or seek to exploit legitimate medical concerns among wounded soldiers like Andrii, or others with legal reasons to be discharged.

“The system has been so riven with problems that we’ve discovered many instances of soldiers who should have been released due to their injuries being asked to pay bribes to get out,” Bolhan said. “In some cases men who want to fight but are not healthy enough pay bribes to be allowed into the army.”

The massing and retention of manpower is essential to Ukraine’s war strategy. Since martial law was declared in February last year, most men between 16 and 60 are forbidden from leaving the country.

Theoretically, any man in that category can be drafted to fight. Exceptions include parents with three or more children under 18, carers of disabled dependents, and those deemed medically unfit. However, last month a change in the law extended military eligibility to Ukrainians with viral hepatitis, thyroid gland diseases, clinically cured TB, mild mental and neurotic disorders, and those with HIV but no symptoms. From the start of next month, Ukrainian women in selected medical professions will also become eligible.

Since the Russian invasion, this policy has allowed Ukraine to gather an army of 700,000 soldiers, in addition to a force of border guards, police units and National Guard units of about 250,000. But the need for fresh troops is constant: in August, US officials estimated that nearly 70,000 Ukrainian soldiers had been killed and 120,000 wounded so far.

Small wonder, as Kyiv amasses these fresh forces, many lacking previous experience and given only four weeks’ training, that the pressure is on to keep as many experienced troops as possible, and to deny the likes of Andrii treatment abroad.

“I had heard that I could get my arm properly operated on in Germany to regain its full use,” the wounded sergeant said. “So I started planning to go there. But then I was not allowed clearance to leave the country.”

The authorities considered Andrii to be neither badly wounded enough to be discharged, nor deserving of extensive surgery abroad. Instead, he was ordered to return to his combat unit on the front in Donbas.

Embittered and in pain, he asked his battalion commander for help. “But the commander told me to f*** off and not to bother him about my injuries,” he said. “My wounds were not being properly dealt with. My commander couldn’t care. That’s when I started to question ‘why am I doing this?’

“That finished it for me. I suddenly realised that of the six friends I had joined up with, all but one was dead. My arm was messed up, my home lost. Some doctors wanted money I didn’t have to let me out. Others insisted I was good to fight despite my injuries.

“So why should I go back to the front? I stopped caring. They know where I am. Let them come for me. I’ll never fight again. I won’t be their meat anymore.”

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1706356462304276701

Epic Euromaidan independent journalism fact checks and debunks Putler tankie propaganda

Was the nazi a real nazi? Let's ask noted Bandera apologist and head of the Litopys UPA Foundation.

https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1147549451038470150

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Secondly, they get to feel like they are part of something great. Just as our grandfathers defeated fascism, we are defeating Nazism in Ukraine (or whatever is there now). At the same time, we are beating the gays, the Jews, the entire collective West, Freemasons, everyone. Those who are older rejoice at the revival of the pioneers, military training in schools, school uniforms and generally all the fixtures of their youth. It’s about time, or else today’s youth would completely let themselves go! And all these gains without any effort at all, usually without even getting up from the couch.

hmmm tell me more about how the war in ukraine is striking a blow against freemasons

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Staltran posted:

Who else could take the fall? Freeland sure as hell isn't going to. The speaker is the obvious scapegoat.

After realising he was set up to take the fall the speaker should have gone "gently caress it", apologised for nothing, double, triple, quadrupled down. Goose marched into work on Monday morning wearing full ss regalia, salutes Justin Trudeau, loudly praises Freeland.

Then after a full week of this turn up in regular attire and insist absolutely nothing happened.

"We had a lunch it was very nice"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thinks she is mad he resigned so is demanding he resign for resigning

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

"I know they put our fascist leaders in Sachsenhausen for declaring independence, but at least they didn't send them to Siberia, we might still get a good deal out of this." - Yaroslav Hunke, definitely not engaged in war crimes while 1.5 million Ukrainian Jews inexplicably vanished, 1943

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

I thinks she is mad he resigned so is demanding he resign for resigning

If you think you're going to resign on me then I demand your letter of resignation on my desk mister!

(Looks down to see letter on desk)

Uh, I meant my other desk! And in a different font!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

don't we have a bunch of decommissioned a-10s sitting around that we could send to ukraine? that seems like a perfect plane for loving up entrenchments. oh wait, we don't intentionally contaminate white people countries with uranium dust and spall

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Best Friends posted:

easy: Ukrainians in the red army were forced to by the evil Russians.

There's also the far easier route of just saying "no they didn't" and claiming that anything saying they did is Russian propaganda

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
“We wondered why they were running away from such a civilized Western nation as the Germans,” Hunka wrote.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

FrancisFukyomama posted:

is the speaker in Canada a less important role than it is in the us? that seems like a pretty high level party official to make fall on his sword for something that clearly wasn’t even him

This smells like a right wing op where somebody knew exactly who this guy is and snuck him onto a list to discredit the government and create a Ukrainian-Nazi talking point. The house speaker is going to take the fall but he was probably just reading off a piece of paper. It's the protocol staff who either didn't catch it or are complicit.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Officer Sandvich posted:

This smells like a right wing op where somebody knew exactly who this guy is and snuck him onto a list to discredit the government and create a Ukrainian-Nazi talking point. The house speaker is going to take the fall but he was probably just reading off a piece of paper. It's the protocol staff who either didn't catch it or are complicit.

I didn’t realize this guy was doing a bit until now

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

ore
don't we have a bunch of decommissioned a-10s sitting around that we could send to ukraine? that seems like a perfect plane for loving up entrenchments. oh wait, we don't intentionally contaminate white people countries with uranium dust and spall

there's a reason neither side is using manned aircraft for anything much more than lobbing cruise missiles and rockets from afar. cas would be suicide.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

oh wait, we don't intentionally contaminate white people countries with uranium dust and spall

Yeah, about that...

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Officer Sandvich posted:

if by "right wing op" you mean canada's natural centre-left governing party, then yes someone knew exactly who this guy was and put him on the list

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iirc they fly low and slow and need total air superiority to not get downed immediately

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A10s are much more effective in vertical scrolling shoot em ups where enemies fire little glowing balls at the plane in arcade patterns instead of modern anti air.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

DancingShade posted:

A10s are much more effective in vertical scrolling shoot em ups where enemies fire little glowing balls at the plane in arcade patterns instead of modern anti air.

the a stands for air superiority fighter.

still dubious, is modern radar and targeting stuff able to deal with planes flying tree top level?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

they already sent DU shells for their western tanks fwiw

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
what news from the front? Last I heard from the ISW Ukrainian equipment was pouring over the last defensive lines in the south and the situation was very dynamic!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

La Louve Rouge posted:

if by "right wing op" you mean canada's natural centre-left governing party, then yes someone knew exactly who this guy was and put him on the list

“The diaspora’s highly successful campaigns to have the Canadian political elites affirm its historical memory have not settled the matters of historical controversy…”

:thunk:

“Russia, either in its Soviet incarnation or now under Putin’s rule, has spared no effort to defame the Ukrainian nation and its global diaspora, including the Ukrainian Canadian community [...].To dismiss these attacks and not respond would be a prudent course, so as not to draw further attention to them. By responding, it also could be constructed as giving credence to the accusations. However,
to allow lies and disinformation repeated ad nauseam to go unanswered, especially by a campaign of Russian hybrid information warfare, can create a veneer of credibility that can be taken at face value by unaware Canadians, and that has even led to acts of violence against monuments and memorials.”

- LUC

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Sep 27, 2023

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Starsfan posted:

what news from the front? Last I heard from the ISW Ukrainian equipment was pouring over the last defensive lines in the south and the situation was very dynamic!

The UAF is remarkably close to severing the east west rail link through Zaporizhia Oblast. They have previously disrupted the rail bridges in and out of Crimea. If sustained, that leaves the Russians at the end of an untenable logistical chain in southern Kherson, and they could likely be forced out. Essentially a replay of northern Kherson last year. Having been visibly losing for two years and with continued high visibility attacks into Crimea, the war may become politically impossible and bring the Russians to the table.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

oh wait, we don't intentionally contaminate white people countries with uranium dust and spall

https://twitter.com/truthout/status/1706742933435658327?t=lrRe_6xIW32ZeUmit2H6PQ&s=19

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

why doesn't ukraine ask for attack helicopters like the apache or eurocopter tiger

those seem pretty wunderwaffen

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

do you have a map showing how close ukriane is to this strategic railroad

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like Canada being controlled by seceret cabal of Ukrianian Nazis is knowledge I have no idea how to explain without sounding like a crazy person

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1706813963369922589

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Officer Sandvich posted:

neoliberalism can't even do basic fact checking anymore

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Russians have been using Su-25s pretty close to the front lines, the issue is that Ukrainians have a tough time getting within 100km of Russian lines. It is why the Stormshadows/SCALPs are that important.

Admittedly, as much as people like the A-10, it would be chewed up in a conventional war.

The railroad goes through Tokmak (30-35km from the current front line), the current salient probably has gotten about a kilometer closer to it in the last month. The issue with railroads is you practically need direct fire control over them because they can essentially be repaired within hours.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:18 on Sep 27, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

I feel like Canada being controlled by seceret cabal of Ukrianian Nazis is knowledge I have no idea how to explain without sounding like a crazy person

The mechanism for their control being Official Multiculturalism rules so loving hard because liberals will have a tonic-clonic seizure before that fits into their worldview.

“A pioneer of normative multiculturalism, in 2021 Canada celebrated the semi-centennial of multiculturalism. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (b. 1971) argued that the policy, introduced by his father half a century earlier, “continues to give vitality to Canadian society, refect its multicultural reality, and inspire people and countries around the world.” The Canadian multiculturalist movement was initiated by Ukrainian nationalists, by far the most active group in the pursuit of multiculturalism. The Ukrainian lobby in Canada remains one of the most powerful in that country. “

“Since its introduction in 1971, Canadian normative multiculturalism has been a boon to the LUC and other OUN(b) front organizations, which have obtained substantial funding from the Canadian government. Multicultural funding co-fnanced, among other things, construction of the Roman Shukhevych Youth Unity Complex in Edmonton. The funding is ongoing.The Government of Canada currently funds 19 UCC programs, amounting to CAD 1,082,500.83.56”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

uhhh... bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ardennes posted:

The Russians have been using Su-25s pretty close to the front lines, the issue is that Ukrainians have a tough time getting within 100km of Russian lines. It is why the Stormshadows/SCALPs are that important.

Admittedly, as much as people like the A-10, it would be chewed up in a conventional war.

"close" maybe but i haven't heard of them doin' gun runs which is what most people think of when it comes to the a-10. ballistic rocket barrages and glide bombs seem to be favored

tho iirc the ukranians actually lost some frogfoots getting too close to the russians' defensive lines lately