Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I am currently punking the cyber. Check me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Putin licked GWB's anus once for a dare.

A skull and some bones.

Toxic Mental posted:

I am currently punking the cyber. Check me out.

I appreciate having a fellow orange-yellow themed poster, as opposed to the usual pink-purple-black of cyberpunk.

weg posted:

I don't want to keep this cyberpunk derail going on too long, but I agree with your assessment. I also feel that that tankies and neo-fascists are the same or at least a similar type of person. "Oh wouldn't it be cool to be a part of such a strong a powerful organization, ruling over creation with absolute power and authority". They seem to see themselves as part of the elite ruling class in this situation, not the huge majority or losers being crushed under its boot either directly or indirectly. People that put stormtrooper helmet stickers on their pickups are one example of this.

The authoritarians are bad you dumbfucks, cool space future or not! The folks that look to the USSR as a misunderstood workers utopia are just the same morons who think Vader is a badass and not a villain, only they are into history and not science fiction.

I think the scary thing about cyberpunk fiction is that we are seeing the worst parts of it come true. The governments that haven't failed are becoming increasingly undemocratic and corporate control and business interests are paramount to human rights.

Its scarier. Many of them know they won't be at the top, they're just happy to not be at the bottom and punching down. Consider how many humans don't want to serve in heaven or rule in hell; they want to be prison guards in hell.

quote:

Unfortunately the lesson of cyberpunk is more applicable than ever to our world: You can't save the world, you can only try to save yourself.

Hard disagree there, "save yourself" without "along with as much of the world as possible" tends to turn into "become a junior oppressor crushing everyone else." Secret police and skull cracker riot cops are saving themselves from being at the bottom.

Antigravitas posted:

Pictured: a good cyberpunk game.

I could do without the "WELL ACTUALLY, the giant capitalist demon lizards are necessary to keep the extradimensional spiky rape monsters from destroying the world" part of shadowrun lore.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 26, 2023

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

weg posted:

I think the scary thing about cyberpunk fiction is that we are seeing the worst parts of it come true. The governments that haven't failed are becoming increasingly undemocratic and corporate control and business interests are paramount to human rights.

I don't think this is even close to being as true as people will often throw it out as being a true thing.
This is also not even close to being something like the worst possible time to be alive despite how you see that come up.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Flyinglemur posted:

Alternate meme, "step shadow, help me I'm stuck in this dry dock. Step shadow, what are you doing?!"

After this led my brain down that path, I can't unsee how penile the Storm Shadow's head looks.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Computer viking posted:

After this led my brain down that path, I can't unsee how penile the Storm Shadow's head looks.

The entire thing still looks like Volvo 840 Estate roof box with glued in wings to me. And this even after it has been proven to be a very good weapon, which should get it some respect but no, it does not.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Computer viking posted:

tbh, it's still far less penile than Blue Origin, Storm Shadows look kinda deflated or squashed

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

weg posted:

The authoritarians are bad you dumbfucks, cool space future or not! The folks that look to the USSR as a misunderstood workers utopia are just the same morons who think Vader is a badass and not a villain, only they are into history and not science fiction.
This is totally the wrong thread for it but it feels appropriate.

The point of Vader is you see this powerful and intimidating figure but also with the full story he's also incredibly weak willed and subservient to an abusive and terrible master.

Palpatine is star wars Satan, and Vader is his enforcer. But the relationship you're supposed to realize is Vader is the pathetic guy who's role is likened to fetch Satan's cigarettes at the corner store.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Der Kyhe posted:

The entire thing still looks like Volvo 840 Estate roof box with glued in wings to me. And this even after it has been proven to be a very good weapon, which should get it some respect but no, it does not.

You're not wrong, but roof boxes don't have a delineated head with a stylized urethra.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
The storm shadow's square profile with the tiny wings rules. Yeah we get to pack more of those babies inside a train car in Poland, wanna have a nook tantrum about it ??

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Randarkman posted:

I don't think this is even close to being as true as people will often throw it out as being a true thing.
This is also not even close to being something like the worst possible time to be alive despite how you see that come up.
If this isn’t the nadir of history in the worst hell timeline, why do I feel sad all the time, smart rear end?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Randarkman posted:

Yes, consider the fact that the genre was formed during a time of far greater geopolitical conflict and a harder shift towards privatization and corporate influence.

If you were a baby boomer living in the 80s then you've only ever seen crime and drug usage increase over your entire life and the biggest expansion of corporate influence in generations. Plus proxy wars on a regular basis. If your (US) town had a train it went bankrupt when you were a kid. It was easy to predict that things would only keep getting worse. And they did get worse, before they got a lot better. And then worse again, but not as bad. But if you want an excuse to lay in bed and die twitter will give you all of them because the machine only wants your attention.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TBF if you're a baby boomer you're also responsible

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Strategic Tea posted:

TBF if you're a baby boomer you're also responsible

:hmmyes:

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Rad Russian posted:

In Russia, the spin is that the Nazi ethnic Ukrainians were not simply existing, they began genociding ethnic Russians inside Ukraine for daring to speak Russian and for opposing the gay agenda of the West. They're at war to "save our people".

An average Russian war supporter is not an imperialism supporter. It's a person who watches propaganda TV news and believes that Russian children were being systematically rounded up into Nazi re-education camps where they were forced to learn Ukrainian, worship Hitler, and change their gender. That storyline makes it much easier to get support for the war vs "we want land and buffer zone".

But propaganda TV also runs the narrative of 'Ukraine is not real and actually Novorossiya belongs to us' so I don't think you can say that the average Russian is brainwashed into thinking they are saving children in the Donbass. In fact there are plenty of Russians firmly behind the idea that Ukraine is rightful Russian clay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rad Russian posted:

An average Russian war supporter is not an imperialism supporter.

[Citation needed]

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Russian military expert: "target civilians"

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1706504750844215454

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
https://www.businessinsider.nl/russian-troops-raped-women-as-old-as-83-while-their-families-were-forced-to-listen/

Putin's a real piece of poo poo

Trigger warning: sexual violence and literal war crimes against civilians.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

Alternate meme, "step shadow, help me I'm stuck in this dry dock. Step shadow, what are you doing?!"

You inspired me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This military expert is unfair to Russians and doubtless in the pay of Britain

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Did this "expert" miss what Budanov had to say concerning Puccia's own infrastructure?

Burns
May 10, 2008

The studio this is filmed at insults me with its smugness. maybe Big Z can send them a nice remodelling package.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres a p good lp too

dragonfall is much better, and hong kong better than that. they wrote a whole engine and actually got value out of it

I dunno if I'd agree Hong Kong is better, Dragonfall feels like the better one to me.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Deltasquid posted:

https://www.businessinsider.nl/russian-troops-raped-women-as-old-as-83-while-their-families-were-forced-to-listen/

Putin's a real piece of poo poo

Trigger warning: sexual violence and literal war crimes against civilians.

The worst part is they were forced to do this by the US of A back in the 90s.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Cyberpunk 2020 is anti-capitalist as hell. The world is a dystopian shallow hell hole where it's preferable to die in a blaze of glory to become a legend instead of living out a meaningless consumer life

I haven't seen the complete history of Cyberpunk 2077 yet, but as far as I've gotten in the Let's Play it's pretty faithful to the source material.

What the author says

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1706797024409243999

This is normal, right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

In Russia, yes

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Yeah, they do it to keep warm at night

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

These days it’s pretty normal

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Whatever is on fire here isn't the airfield. The airfield is to the south east of the photo (location was geo-located on Twitter). The coordinates of the photo are: 55.9264432, 37.9573969 facing to the south west.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Unfortunately it means that there was no decision in the election of a new black sea fleet admiral

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

weg posted:

Keeping on theme of video game chat:

https://www.engadget.com/cd-projekt-red-apologizes-for-anti-russia-references-in-cyberpunk-2077-update-092347196.html

Oh no, Cyberpunk was too much of a dystopia for Russian players. :cry:

The funnier part is that the Russian players have to set it to Ukrainian to play as they can understand it kinda and also Russian is embargoed, and that's probably why it was even noticed :lol:

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

No, airfields only do this when they're in extreme distress.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PinheadSlim posted:

It wasn't a dare, Putin was told "Bush rides horses" and something got lost in translation

Wait until he finds out about Michael Pence.

Putin needs to be tortured to death. Fully given the treatment of Gitmo for his crimes against his people and the people of Ukraine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Wait until he finds out about Michael Pence.

Putin needs to be tortured to death. Fully given the treatment of Gitmo for his crimes against his people and the people of Ukraine.

If there was a way for Putin to feel all of the pain and suffering that he has caused, I would be all for that, but such technology does not exist yet.

Yet.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Randarkman posted:

je1 healthcare posted:

Yes, consider the fact that the genre was formed during a time of far greater geopolitical conflict and a harder shift towards privatization and corporate influence.

If you were a baby boomer living in the 80s then you've only ever seen crime and drug usage increase over your entire life and the biggest expansion of corporate influence in generations. Plus proxy wars on a regular basis. If your (US) town had a train it went bankrupt when you were a kid. It was easy to predict that things would only keep getting worse. And they did get worse, before they got a lot better. And then worse again, but not as bad. But if you want an excuse to lay in bed and die twitter will give you all of them because the machine only wants your attention.

We were on a real dark timeline for awhile, and we still need to pull up before we hit climate collapse. I really don't like the insinuation of "don't be so negative, it could be far worse!" Nestle and other megacorps are doing things like securing ownership of drinking water and making GBS threads across the poor nations of the earth. Just because there are still comfortable middle class people in rich countries doesn't mean people aren't right to absolutely be outraged by the horrors of late capitalism just because they aren't being flayed alive by attila the hun or whatever.

I'm disabled and probably going to die homeless in a couple of years and probably will need to go dumpster diving soon. For all the "all people despising the american system within america are soft well off tankies who think they're going to be in charge :smug:", honestly? It'd be easier to sell maoist action to the homeless. After awhile poo poo gets bad enough that a revolution where you know you will be killed/jailed forever/hurt beyond comprehension is still less awful than the status quo.

I don't want this to happen, but its becoming explicitly clear american society wants me to gently caress off and die. yes, russia and other places are even worse shitholes, no, that won't dissuade from the fact the situation is intolerable. People reduced to the level of scared, cornered animals are not going to be tut-tutted about how this isn't the worst timeline, that doesn't matter if the timeline they're on is going to inflict a hideous, early, pointless death upon them.

I really, really, really hope the lesson being taken from the past few years isn't "whew, okay that was spicy, but things are gonna be okay now :)" Biden doing things like backing unions is great but its just making hope even possible, hope that might not arrive quick enough to save a bunch of people at the bottom because non-workers who aren't retired/kids who don't have or run out of a family support network get to go die on a street corner.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 27, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vampire Panties posted:

Tbf noted dork Richard Garriott had flown to space successfully on a Soyuz capsule around that same time. It wasn't some insane death wish that Lance Bass created whole cloth.

A person I served on a non-profit board with did the Russian space tourist thing, and she said it was an amazing experience.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

A person I served on a non-profit board with did the Russian space tourist thing, and she said it was an amazing experience.

I really am too loving poor for these forums, aren’t I?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
subjunctive was employee number double digits at facebook. our very own extremely minor plute

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it was a non-profit board, nobody got paid, and I didn’t go to space

and my FB employee number had four digits

someone’s really gotta update their spreadsheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Serving on the kind of non-profit that has space tourists on the board is still a different universe from mine. I’m more of a condo board or church committee kind of guy.

I’m not jealous or criticizing, btw, I have a mortgage and should be able to retire at some point. I’m doing fine.