Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Taylor Swift Boat Veterans for Truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is TheOnion still riffing on Taylor Swift? Many years ago they had a new article every other day about 'Taylor Swift now dating___'. This was the best one.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Just a guy shoeing a horse, up close so you can see the details. No, the horse does not suffer in any way during the process; it would let you know if it did.

https://twitter.com/paulsla1539372/status/1705998550293737818

God I loving love farrier videos. It's all I watched on youtube for two months last year. There are a couple channels that do hoof rescue videos, and they are the most satisfying watch.

killer crane has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Sep 27, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I know it's cliche to call schlubby middle aged men thumbs, but that for real looks like someone drew a face and glasses on a thumb.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

killer crane posted:

God I loving love farrier videos. It's all I watched on youtube for two months last year. There are a couple channels that do hoof rescue videos, and they are the most satisfying watch.

Doesn't really capture the smell, though. Great if you like the smell of burning hair.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Wait, explain this horse thingy.
So they walk on their toenails, basically, but sometimes they need to nail a metal thing over the toenail to stop it from being worn down? But sometimes things can go the other way and the hoof is too tough and needs to be trimmed back. And neither operation seems to upset the animal at all?
How do horses survive in the wild if their feet are either overgrown or wearing away??

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1706748942271099312

Coeus
Sep 21, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

How do horses survive in the wild if their feet are either overgrown or wearing away??

they survive by running in big open grassy fields if they choose to. we have since taken both of these away.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

So they walk on their toenails, basically, but sometimes they need to nail a metal thing over the toenail to stop it from being worn down? But sometimes things can go the other way and the hoof is too tough and needs to be trimmed back. And neither operation seems to upset the animal at all?

Wild horses have had plenty of time to evolve and be naturally selected for the right balance of hoof wear.

Domesticated horses have been selectively bred and look at any dog to see how we usually gently caress that up.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So what's the purpose of horses in modern farming? What do they do that machinery can't?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Aphrodite posted:

Wild horses have had plenty of time to evolve and be naturally selected for the right balance of hoof wear.

Domesticated horses have been selectively bred and look at any dog to see how we usually gently caress that up.

What are you talking about? My darling puggy-wug is perfect and gorgeous.
(Please don't pat his head, it puts undue pressure on his brain and eyes. And the wheezing and dribbling is a sign of happiness, I'll have you know)

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

grittyreboot posted:

So what's the purpose of horses in modern farming? What do they do that machinery can't?

Look majestic.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Humans evolved to to be the dominant endurance species on land while doing it barefoot. We still wear shoes now, though.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

grittyreboot posted:

They get the daughters of American landed gentry to STOP loving ASKING

E: Bonus: Dad also gets to channel his midlife crisis energy into Yellowstone cosplay instead of a harley or some poo poo

Pissed Ape Sexist has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Sep 27, 2023

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tree Bucket posted:

wild horses tend to stay off of hard stone and concrete surfaces

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Americans bred horses to do 1/4 mile drag races. Americans love drag races. It’s why the quarter horse was made: drag races. It’s why drag strips are still a quarter mile.

Racing rocks, and Americans are correct in all facets surrounding it.

Little known fact: most horse races are as loud as top fuel drag races. The alcohol used in most drag fuel is the same alcohol they put in mint juleps. It’s just corn and horses baby, and it always has been.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'm making this post entirely so you can hate-read it, happy early holidays.

I've heard a ton of her stuff over the years and while her success makes a lot of sense to me (she has a great team, she has the look, and she's obviously incredibly hard-working and driven), I still haven't run into any of the "incredible singing and songwriting talent" that people keep mentioning everywhere.

Lady Gaga, Sia, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Lizzo, etc. all exist in the same sort of pop landscape and absolutely sing/play circles around Taylor, while simultaneously avoiding the typical Swiftie pitfalls of clumsy meter, clichéd rhymes, super-compressed mix, and sterile production.

I don't know that I've ever heard her sing anything outside of her modal register other than her falsetto (and the super-cringe vocal fry toward the end of "Antihero"). Compared to someone like Gaga or Sia, who are constantly switching things up with belting, mixed voice, fry, trills, vibrato variations, etc. Taylor isn't even remotely on the same level. Even Miley Cyrus has much better power and control.

Anyway she's a fine performer and I have no beef with her, but that's not gonna stop me from seizing an opportunity to goon out about pop music and make myself look like a senile old fart.

See this is all actual criticism and it's fine. It's quite different from the much weirder criticisms which are just like, well yeah, it's pop music? Like "all she ever sings about is guys she's dated!" Or "I couldn't even name one of her songs" which is like, okay, good for you I guess? I mean she's not Frank Zappa, it still sounds like pop music, not sure what you were expecting. But like, are there better pop musicians? Absolutely.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

This is ai generated right

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s got the tie. There’s no way it’s real

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

No that's a real town that's just coincidentally exactly shaped like Donkey Kong.

It's a lot more common than you think.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Maybe Donkey Kong is shaped after that house.
Check mate nerds

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

TotalLossBrain posted:

Maybe Donkey Kong is shaped after that house.
Check mate nerds

mama mia

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1706750277330616703

https://twitter.com/Mesut_Ausil/status/1706633170039591392

wake up babe new bobson dugnutt just dropped
https://twitter.com/WeirdScotland/status/1705899006751043711

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
https://twitter.com/superloafcat/status/1706445731844735029

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Freaquency posted:

I am updating goons.xlsx religiously and I really need some of you to start including whether you think TSwift’s persona is fake or if she’s really good enough to be as popular as she is. If you could mix in a little bit of classic internet misogyny as well that would be great. :thanks:

Taylor Swift hates women.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I ain't seeing poo poo anyway

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mind posting more?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

quote:

Roarin Rab
Nanny Purple
Springhill Jake (Nanny's Brother)
Moudy Wardrop (a molecatcher)
Snadger Harvie
Piggy Logan (a teacher)
Toozy Jenny (a teacher)
Crocodile Skin McGee
Tack McGee
Shoogly Jock McLean
Flood Butler
Beetlenose Butler
The Wig
The Moose (The Wig's brother)
Carrot Donald and his nephew, Crack-o-Dawn
Winks Smith
Gudgen Grady o Netherplace
Guttie Rae
Baldy Ross
Puck Downie
Bum Stewart
Cuggs and Stripes McMeechan
Dr Cod McKinlay
Steak 'n' Kidney Murray
Willie "Boiler" Gill
Stainy Willie aka Auld History Stains
Bingy Close
Scud Crawford
Tory Malone (a Conservative voter)
Snig Banny aka Big Sandy
Whisky Rankin
Snek Raeburn
Sody McMeekin
Browntails Porter
Bumble Forbes
Howdy Henny Grady
Blue Goose Shand
Sand Shoe Pete Sinclair
Ghandi Sinclair
Steamie Kirkwood
Birdy Kirkwood
Icky Boaby McKelvie
Dykes McKelvie (Icky Boaby's Dad)
Spinnle Johnson
Luggy Barr
Teapot Lid
Caruso Byrne (a good singer)
Cadger King-all-Farmers
Laird Pollok (not a laird)
Baggy Britain
Spriggie Gordie

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So basically just make poo poo up and if someone says anything glass them with a pint

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Milo and POTUS posted:

So basically just make poo poo up and if someone says anything glass them with a pint

https://twitter.com/WeirdScotland/status/1705998457104671226

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

https://twitter.com/Behind_Pics/status/1705342936920010967

Zetsubou-san has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Sep 27, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

Horses and great apes have been evolving in a sympatric relationship for the last several million years. It's why the prehistoric horse ancestors in North America all went extinct, while the horses and zebras in Asia and Africa survived, because there were native populations of great apes to chase the horses down a couple times a year and trim their hooves for them.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Knormal posted:

Horses and great apes have been evolving in a sympatric relationship for the last several million years. It's why the prehistoric horse ancestors in North America all went extinct, while the horses and zebras in Asia and Africa survived, because there were native populations of great apes to chase the horses down a couple times a year and trim their hooves for them.

Zebra evolved their distinctive colouring to attract the attention of early farriers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Zebras strategy was to appeal to early humans by providing them with zebra striped loincloths

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Finally, the Northwest Passage

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

Finally, the Northwest Passage

I thought your mother was from the Northwest.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Inceltown posted:

I thought your mother was from the Northwest.

She does do a great job of taking loads across America...

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Terry Pratchett used this kind of naming scheme for his Nac Mac Feegles (coded HEAVILY Scottish) like Daft Willie, Wee Jock, and No'-as-big-as-Medium-Sized-Jock-but-bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Pretty sure the man with no hair suggests that you check out the treasure at the bottom of that pit over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Terry Pratchett used this kind of naming scheme for his Nac Mac Feegles (coded HEAVILY Scottish) like Daft Willie, Wee Jock, and No'-as-big-as-Medium-Sized-Jock-but-bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock

I read them all as PG Wodehouse characters