Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"You can take my toilet browsing from my dead, unwashed hands!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I'm generally not one to complain too much, but I'm kind of shocked about how nicked up the screen on my 15 Pro already is. Mostly around the bezels and some superficial scratches throughout that you can only see at certain angles. Actually looks worse than my 2 year old 12 Mini. I guess I need to stop carrying handfuls of sand in my scrub pockets 🤷‍♂️

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I'm generally not one to complain too much, but I'm kind of shocked about how nicked up the screen on my 15 Pro already is. Mostly around the bezels and some superficial scratches throughout that you can only see at certain angles. Actually looks worse than my 2 year old 12 Mini. I guess I need to stop carrying handfuls of sand in my scrub pockets 🤷‍♂️

This is really disheartening to read not even a week in.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I didn’t have a phone while pooping my last post would have been in 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Blurb3947 posted:

This is really disheartening to read not even a week in.
For real :smith: Between this and the video I saw of the 15 Pro Max back glass shattering from being bent...yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS0SItAzEXg&t=601s

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are several more videos trying to break the phone exactly the same way and being unsuccessful, and just the one where it was.

He probably got a defective one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The susceptibility to fine scratches the past few years is real though. It feels like they've prioritized shatter resistance and it's reduced the scratch resistance.

I'm just talking anecdotally though. I don't got real data.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My 14 pro did get a lot of phantom scratches while my previous ones did good. So yeah I agree on this possibly baseless claim.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Rageaholic posted:

For real :smith: Between this and the video I saw of the 15 Pro Max back glass shattering from being bent...yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS0SItAzEXg&t=601s

To be fair, Zack is a pretty buff dude.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You can get four tempered glass screen protectors for $4. They take a minute to apply. I don’t notice them at all.

This isn’t the same thing as putting a case on. There’s zero increase in weight.

It’s so different from years ago when a good protector would cost you like $20. I won’t begrudge anyone for still preferring a ~naked~ phone but you should know that there’s a cheap, high-quality solution to your problem.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah screen protectors are good nowadays

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Na I have Apple care.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I didn’t realize screen protectors came with cool plastic guides and poo poo now, I may actually give it a go.

What’s the go to Amazon whatever brand? I don’t want the belkin 40 dollar one from apple.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
People do a "I broke the phone too easily" thing on the internet literally every year. I hate it because it makes it more difficult to tell when there's an actual systemic issue with the phone and not just time to harvest the yearly clicks from the people with short memories.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Rolo posted:

I didn’t realize screen protectors came with cool plastic guides and poo poo now, I may actually give it a go.

What’s the go to Amazon whatever brand? I don’t want the belkin 40 dollar one from apple.

My experience (and I could be wrong) is that any of the cheap options on Amazon is basically identical and works well. Been using them for years now

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
having a timer always visible via the dynamic Island isa Godsend. Apple has done it again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I have been heavily considering switching to team Apple since I have both an iPad and now an AppleTV and love them both. I am also planning on doing some smart home stuff and the other players are kind of a mess in that regard. Is right now a good time to take the plunge? I'm kind of worried about the fragility and heating issues. Is that overblown?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Aren’t Siri and the homepods widely known to be kinda poo poo? I don’t know if that’s what you meant by home automation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Is that overblown?

100%

Vegetable posted:

Aren’t Siri and the homepods widely known to be kinda poo poo? I don’t know if that’s what you meant by home automation.

No they aren’t. I love my HomePods.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What are some recommendations for those 3 in 1 MagSafe bedside charging stations?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vegetable posted:

Siri's kinda whatever but the Homepods are great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anker, or Belkin (for like double the price) if you don't want the cube aesthetics.

They both have actual 15w Magsafe certified stuff.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Yes. However, at least it seems that Apple won't kill off features like Google is doing. Alexa looks better but it's also not as available in Norway. Hopefully Thread allows me to get the best of both worlds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Siri's kinda whatever but the Homepods are great.

My only real gripe with Siri is when I ask her something and she tells me to ask again from my phone.

My Google screen thing will just give me what I want if I ask the same question.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

illcendiary posted:

My experience (and I could be wrong) is that any of the cheap options on Amazon is basically identical and works well. Been using them for years now

What about the little protectors that go over the camera bump? Do they add glare and stuff? Ordering this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC91QX42?psc=1&smid=AG8AYSVS7E5IO&ref_=chk_typ_quicklook_imgToDp

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

What about the little protectors that go over the camera bump? Do they add glare and stuff? Ordering this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC91QX42?psc=1&smid=AG8AYSVS7E5IO&ref_=chk_typ_quicklook_imgToDp

Why?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

AceOfFlames posted:

I have been heavily considering switching to team Apple since I have both an iPad and now an AppleTV and love them both. I am also planning on doing some smart home stuff and the other players are kind of a mess in that regard. Is right now a good time to take the plunge? I'm kind of worried about the fragility and heating issues. Is that overblown?

It's unfortunately too early too tell for sure as far as the fragility; there have definitely been models that break more often than others but like I said above every time this year it's always a story and it's hard to tell if it's a meme. Heating is probably a software issue that will probably be taken care of.

As to how good for smart homes, well, I'd probably try really hard to stay agnostic if you can for a bit. Homekit works for me, but the odds of me switching phone brands ever is very very low, and the things that don't work natively on the platform I can make work pretty easily via homebridge. But the truth of the matter is that if you can build everything with Home Assistant (and you aren't unlucky like me and have home assistant die and die hard), you are going to have the most devices able to live under one app and theoretically the most community support to make things work with it (unless, you're unlucky like me, and people just never help you fix your bug and you have to move to something else).

E: although if you're already using homepod then you should go with homekit/apple, you're already there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m using one of those camera protectors because it came free with my screen protector. I haven’t noticed any glare yet. But I’ve read that the camera glass is some sapphire poo poo and my 13 Pro’s camera lenses survived a thousand drops without one on. So I’ll probably just take it off when my case arrives. Gotta get the best possible picture quality :hehe:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

I use amfilm for all my devices. Good quality, cheap, and comes with application guides

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I simply won’t use all my brute strength to crush my phone in my hands.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The only problem I’ve had with HomePods is that they get confused on mesh networks. I’ve had consistent connectivity issues with multiple units on both netgear and ASUS systems.

Edit how sick would it be if the HomePods could also be nodes/repeaters. Get sound and WiFi all over your crib with them shits

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 27, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Detective No. 27 posted:

I simply won’t use all my brute strength to crush my phone in my hands.

coward

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The only problem I’ve had with HomePods is that they get confused on mesh networks. I’ve had consistent connectivity issues with multiple units on both netgear and ASUS systems.

Edit how sick would it be if the HomePods could also be nodes/repeaters. Get sound and WiFi all over your crib with them shits

Google did this with one of their mesh router models and it was a pretty good idea.

Funny you mention the HomePod and mesh WiFi issues - a family member reached out to me a few days ago about this exact issue. Is this actually a known thing with HomePods?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I use amfilm for all my devices. Good quality, cheap, and comes with application guides

That’s what I ordered, for under 10 bucks I can just try it and give the other one away if I hate it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I'm still surprised Amazon hasn't done this with Echo speakers, might actually make people buy them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I don’t think Amazon has any trouble getting people to buy Echo speakers.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have plenty and I don’t even use them.

Spy on me, Jeffrey Bezos

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rolo posted:

lol don't do this to your camera lenses

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Anker, or Belkin (for like double the price) if you don't want the cube aesthetics.

I'm in the camp warning people away from Anker now. I've had enough of their charging gadgets fail after 1-2 years that I'll never buy their stuff again.. up to two phone stands and one power brick.

Phone stand sits on your desk never moving and then one day it's all "nope, no more power for you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

I'm in the camp warning people away from Anker now. I've had enough of their charging gadgets fail after 1-2 years that I'll never buy their stuff again.. up to two phone stands and one power brick.

Phone stand sits on your desk never moving and then one day it's all "nope, no more power for you".

I've had zero bad experiences with Anker and I've got:
- 3 port charger
- big rear end power bank
- more cables than i could shake a stick at

:shrug: