Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

**sorry misread post***

Umm haha oh and its a page snipe ok so I guess I'm bothered by... Baldurs Gate having bad texture loading problems on console?

Debunk This! has a new favorite as of 00:33 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gort posted:

Yeah, Cyberpunk's adverts are really obnoxious and badly-done in general. They don't fit the tone of the rest of the game at all.

I really disagree. They're obnoxious as hell but the game takes place in a capitalist hellscape, of course every available surface is going to be plastered with more ads than a cell phone browser without adblocker support.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

moosecow333 posted:

Picked up For the King with my friends and the game is really drat hard.

It’s a rougelike adventure game so your failure is to be expected, but the game gives you almost no breathing room. Like all other rogue likes the game gets harder as time goes on, but it will also introduce corruption that makes enemies harder/the map more difficult to navigate.

You need to be aggressively picking fights to continue gaining experience, but enemies hit so hard and you’re doing so much fighting it’s easy to hit a bad string of luck and have one of your characters take 80% of their hp before they even get a combat action. This means you have to waste another turn and some more money to heal.

There is an easier difficulty, but it’s insultingly easy compared to normal. We’re going from barely scrapping past the second dungeon to breezing to the final bosses lair.

It's a real bastard of a board game in terms of design. I assume you're playing the basic gameplay mode because you mention corruption? There are a lot of ways to mitigate it once you figure the game out a bit, but yeah once you start getting stacks of corruption the game really snowballs. A pro tip I can't recall the game telling me is that you can delay the corruption timer by quite a bit, and staying ahead of it is pretty important. Also, like in a lot of games: some stats and classes are just flat out better. Personally I love using strength based classes but holy poo poo are awareness or speed classes just better in most cases because those are the stats that govern your movement and turn order, and getting to go first in combat is very important as you've noticed. Also I'd really suggest experimenting with different weapons and classes - the game has a surprising amount of variety available to it and status effects are insanely good.

Gort posted:

Yeah, Cyberpunk's adverts are really obnoxious and badly-done in general. They don't fit the tone of the rest of the game at all.

There should have been an adblocker upgrade.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Giving up a cortex slot to an adblocker seems entirely in-line with the setting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rockman Reserve posted:

I really disagree. They're obnoxious as hell but the game takes place in a capitalist hellscape, of course every available surface is going to be plastered with more ads than a cell phone browser without adblocker support.

imo they emphasize this on purpose in one specific scene featuring Judy in an elevator. She's slumped against the wall talking about very real poo poo meant to touch you the player, and all around her are TV ads with a beer between rear end cheeks

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

There should have been an adblocker upgrade.

This would have been so awesome.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sound design is one thing a lot of games neglect and it’s so important. Properly mixing everything can be very difficult in a medium where you can move around and get closer to something and farther from another thing, but you do have to prioritize what the player needs to hear.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Like in Titanfall 2 where you can hear your teammate using their grappling hook at maximum volume from across the map through an infinite number of walls for no logical reason but meanwhile the giant robots stomping around are almost completely silent and can sneak up on you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sound design is one thing a lot of games neglect and it’s so important. Properly mixing everything can be very difficult in a medium where you can move around and get closer to something and farther from another thing, but you do have to prioritize what the player needs to hear.

In the original Doom/Doom 2, you can fire a shot, wake a bunch of enemies up, and get an accurate idea of what you’ve just woken up and where just by the sound effects. In a game from 1993.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lies of P, very petty complaint: the game's camera stick is tilted at a just slight 3/4ths angle, so moving the stick upward actually moves you a bit up and left. Makes platforming a little hard.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Arivia posted:

In the original Doom/Doom 2, you can fire a shot, wake a bunch of enemies up, and get an accurate idea of what you’ve just woken up and where just by the sound effects. In a game from 1993.

You don't need to fire anything; you can just fist-pump the air. Demons hate that!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I finally got around to trying out Save Room, the puzzle game knockoff of Resident Evil 4's inventory tetris. It seems as fun as I'd hoped, but one thing that keeps bugging me is that every level starts with the smaller ammo/grenade/health items grouped in the center of your limited inventory space, while the weapons are sitting off to the side. So after a while, it feels like every level starts off with the busywork of shuffling 8 or 10 small items out of the way so you can start placing the larger and weirder shaped weapons. Just let me start at that point, game, that's the fun part!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I somehow got my save data on Darkside Detective erased (nothing got corrupted, I just started up the game one day and it was as if I'd never played), which has put me off from picking it back up for the past six months or so.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I hate the way enemy attacks are animated in Lies of P. They tend to wind up, then snap into the hit almost instantly. The game wants to have a Sekiro-like parrying system, but the timing of the animations means it's often not possible to see the hit coming and react with the parry input; instead you have to memorize each attack's timing and press parry when your memory tells you the attack is going to hit. (Doesn't help that the parry window seems to be super tight so it's easy to gently caress up even when you know the timing.)

https://i.imgur.com/JZM5U8k.mp4

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Triarii posted:

I hate the way enemy attacks are animated in Lies of P. They tend to wind up, then snap into the hit almost instantly. The game wants to have a Sekiro-like parrying system, but the timing of the animations means it's often not possible to see the hit coming and react with the parry input; instead you have to memorize each attack's timing and press parry when your memory tells you the attack is going to hit. (Doesn't help that the parry window seems to be super tight so it's easy to gently caress up even when you know the timing.)

Yeah I really wish games stopped aping Dark Souls.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hel posted:

Yeah I really wish games stopped aping Dark Souls.

Wow, yeah. Just looking at the interface it's pretty blatant. I still want to check it out though

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lies of P is a Bloodborne clone it's not like they were trying to hide it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i havent a gun or a sword that shoots projectiles though so its mildly disappointing in that regard. my main gripe with it is the player character feels very weightless and part of this i think is sound design and part of it is the animation for rolling and dodging just doesnt have a satisfying look to it. its an ok soulslike but its certainly not great by any means

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

kazil posted:

Lies of P is a Bloodborne clone it's not like they were trying to hide it

lol not even slightly, but my animation gripe is one thing that fromsoft games do differently and better - they're pretty good at making enemies' movements readable in a way that makes it hypothetically possible to parry or iframe through an attack the first time you ever see it just by paying enough attention to the animation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Hygiene posted:

I finally got around to trying out Save Room, the puzzle game knockoff of Resident Evil 4's inventory tetris. It seems as fun as I'd hoped, but one thing that keeps bugging me is that every level starts with the smaller ammo/grenade/health items grouped in the center of your limited inventory space, while the weapons are sitting off to the side. So after a while, it feels like every level starts off with the busywork of shuffling 8 or 10 small items out of the way so you can start placing the larger and weirder shaped weapons. Just let me start at that point, game, that's the fun part!
Complete aside but you should check out backpack hero.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Arivia posted:

And GZDoom supports HRTF thru OpenALSoft so you can hear exactly where something is in both distance and direction *with just headphones*. The fact this is at all a notable accomplishment really shows how weak video game sound tech still is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Splicer posted:

Complete aside but you should check out backpack hero.

Wishlisted to check out later, that one's pricey enough to do some research first.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Triarii posted:

You know, back in the like early to mid 2000's we were all really down on the grey-brown modern military shooter. But now I'm really starting to get really tired of the grey-brown gothic souls-like.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wishlisted to check out later, that one's pricey enough to do some research first.

There was a demo, at least of a year or so ago. It was decently hard.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Triarii posted:

lol not even slightly, but my animation gripe is one thing that fromsoft games do differently and better - they're pretty good at making enemies' movements readable in a way that makes it hypothetically possible to parry or iframe through an attack the first time you ever see it just by paying enough attention to the animation.

There's been more than one time where I was in the middle of my weapon hitting a boss, watched the boss start doing the wind-up to an attack, stopped attacking well in advance so I could parry the incoming attack, timed the parry, but whatever attack animation I finished ages ago was still hogging the buffer the game uses between your inputs, so I didn't even begin to block. It's one thing if it's timed too early or too late, but when the game just eats an input like that I get a bit tilted.

I also got punished by a shovel-carrying miniboss a few times that pissed me off, because if you engage with the parry mechanic against its Fury Attacks (unblockable, iframes do nothing, it's parry or back way the gently caress up) then it will double-punish a missed parry. Miss the parry, get slammed into the ground. If it slams you into the ground, it will follow up with multiple overhead slam attacks. It seems about 50/50 whether I can mash the dodge button fast enough to get up, dodge sideways, and get out of the way. Otherwise it'll just hit a few more times. I was getting zero-to-death hit by the overhead fury attack -> slam -> slam -> slam combo until I just stopped trying to engage in good faith with the parry system and whittled it down with chip attacks for five minutes.

It also copies the bit from Sekiro where there's useful consumable items, but they are one-and-done items that are gone forever when you use them. If you waste your throwable items trying to get an enemy's health down before going toe-to-toe with it, then die, you're back at square one with zero consumables. They also fall in a weird in-between state where using the items on minibosses or bosses does gently caress-all to their health bars, but they one-shot regular enemies that you can two-shot with most weapons anyway. There's also a subweapon that lets you Scorpion-style grappling hook enemies directly to you at melee range, so if you're just trying to do specific enemy removal, they're not even useful on boss runs.

All of that on its own is pretty minor gripes with an otherwise enjoyable game, but I got to the start of Chapter/Area V and realized that it's all been one straight line with minimal exploration involved. Even when areas open up a little bit, the sidepaths are so short and such obvious dead-ends (and sometimes with gently caress-all at the dead-end) and the few times I thought I was actually going to go someplace interesting, it ended up spitting me back out onto the main path. Half the fun in Dark Souls for me was finding weird little nooks and crannies, and there's just nothing like that in Lies of P. :smith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Almost every non-fromsoft attempt at the soulslike genre that I've played just gets really basic aspects of the feel wrong. stuff that you never notice when it's done right but feels terrible when it's done wrong, like the Surge making every attack in the same basic combo take wildly different amounts of time, so it's really easy to find yourself trapped in an animation that's twice as long as you're expecting unlike souls/bloodborne/elden ring where combos are consistent and every R1 in your combo will take about as long as the last one. people are saying the pinocchio one is actually good so I checked out a stream of it, and the very first thing I saw was the player slamming a basic chump human-sized enemy with a fully-charged super swing that took 3 seconds to wind up, and the enemy did not even flinch from the impact, it just completely ignored it and smacked the player while he was stuck in the recovery animation. hopefully I'm missing something because yikes.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm playing resident evil 4 remake and trying not to use the inventory auto sort button because I think using it would be cowardly of me, but it's on Alt so I hit it by accident when I alt tab and come back to find my lovingly arranged flashbangs scattered every which way

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Owl Inspector posted:

the very first thing I saw was the player slamming a basic chump human-sized enemy with a fully-charged super swing that took 3 seconds to wind up, and the enemy did not even flinch from the impact, it just completely ignored it and smacked the player while he was stuck in the recovery animation. hopefully I'm missing something because yikes.

Sort-of. The R2 attacks will help fill up an invisible meter that, when filled, puts a white outline around an enemy's health bar, letting you know that you can do one more fully-charged R2 attack to initiate the game's version of Bloodborne's visceral attack. So while I thought Bloodborne kind of made them awkward to do (compared to Demon's/Dark Souls ripostes) because you had to fire, reposition, and then visceral attack, Lies of P makes them an entire process.

You gotta do a bunch of perfect parries, with R2 attacks interspersed wherever possible to help speed up the process, until the boss's health bar gets the white outline. Then you have to do a fully-charged R2 attack in order to finally stagger the boss, opening it up for a "Fatal Attack" which deals about 10 or 20 times more damage than a regular attack. It's a whole lot of extra steps that would make the combat feel more fluid/involved if it weren't for the fact that some weapon R2s take years to come out.

Oh, and bonus: the white outline can go away lol. Now imagine perfect parrying the boss from the gif post earlier a bunch of times and mentally try to fit in where you'd start charging the R2 attack

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

the very first thing I saw was the player slamming a basic chump human-sized enemy with a fully-charged super swing that took 3 seconds to wind up, and the enemy did not even flinch from the impact, it just completely ignored it and smacked the player while he was stuck in the recovery animation. hopefully I'm missing something because yikes.

I'm only about halfway through the game but the vast majority of human sized enemies get staggered very easily. There's a few that don't but that's their "gimmick" and they're pretty easily identified once you figure out that's their thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bawk posted:

Sort-of. The R2 attacks will help fill up an invisible meter that, when filled, puts a white outline around an enemy's health bar, letting you know that you can do one more fully-charged R2 attack to initiate the game's version of Bloodborne's visceral attack. So while I thought Bloodborne kind of made them awkward to do (compared to Demon's/Dark Souls ripostes) because you had to fire, reposition, and then visceral attack, Lies of P makes them an entire process.

You gotta do a bunch of perfect parries, with R2 attacks interspersed wherever possible to help speed up the process, until the boss's health bar gets the white outline. Then you have to do a fully-charged R2 attack in order to finally stagger the boss, opening it up for a "Fatal Attack" which deals about 10 or 20 times more damage than a regular attack. It's a whole lot of extra steps that would make the combat feel more fluid/involved if it weren't for the fact that some weapon R2s take years to come out.

Oh, and bonus: the white outline can go away lol. Now imagine perfect parrying the boss from the gif post earlier a bunch of times and mentally try to fit in where you'd start charging the R2 attack

That just sounds like an infinitely more tedious version of the Sekiro/Elden Ring “hit the bad man a whole lot without relenting to do a crit” which, I guess in a vacuum is fair if it’s such a huge number but Sekiro lets you be super proactive in going about it sand Bloodborne was just “do a backstab/gun parry for tripleish damage”.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

That just sounds like an infinitely more tedious version of the Sekiro/Elden Ring “hit the bad man a whole lot without relenting to do a crit” which, I guess in a vacuum is fair if it’s such a huge number but Sekiro lets you be super proactive in going about it sand Bloodborne was just “do a backstab/gun parry for tripleish damage”.

Lies of P lets you do that too, but you have to be pretty drat aggressive to build up a stagger on a big enemy without perfect parrying (and then you still have to land a full charge R2).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

You know, back in the like early to mid 2000's we were all really down on the grey-brown modern military shooter. But now I'm really starting to get really tired of the grey-brown gothic souls-like.

I think the shooters were worse. At least the myriad of 'almost there but we hosed up something really important' Souls-like games are copying from a series that's pretty good and worth playing. All those shooters were much more fundamentally skippable.

...But then again, all those shooters were also much shorter and asked less of you. If you got boxed in to trying one, you could beat it in a day with room to go out for dinner. With a bad Soulsborne you're in for most of a week at best, and if you don't finish it then anyone who got you to play it is just gonna say you didn't REALLY try it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I just cheat by playing until I get bored, looking up the ending on youtube, then telling people I've played it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Triarii posted:

God this is like every enemy. I swear one of the earliest puppet attacks has a tiny fake in its windup.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I think the shooters were worse. At least the myriad of 'almost there but we hosed up something really important' Souls-like games are copying from a series that's pretty good and worth playing. All those shooters were much more fundamentally skippable.

...But then again, all those shooters were also much shorter and asked less of you. If you got boxed in to trying one, you could beat it in a day with room to go out for dinner. With a bad Soulsborne you're in for most of a week at best, and if you don't finish it then anyone who got you to play it is just gonna say you didn't REALLY try it.

I just wish more soulslike games would try different things with their aesthetics. We had at least one space game, even if it was a dark and depressing space game. How about a cool bright future souls game? Or like, rad cartoony magical souls game. The cool gameplay can fit anything!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lol, I get that people took it as a general complaint against Dark Souls clones, which yes, but also because a lot of DS enemies have the same problem of attacks animations being long windup->snappy attack. But apparently, it's only becomes a problem when someone other than FromSoftware does it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I just wish more soulslike games would try different things with their aesthetics. We had at least one space game, even if it was a dark and depressing space game. How about a cool bright future souls game? Or like, rad cartoony magical souls game. The cool gameplay can fit anything!

Asterigos is a lot more colorful than most of them. I wouldn't particularly recommend it though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

It's hard to describe it, but I feel like a lot of the core elements of Souls games that really work feel most at home in a darker tone and more decrepit setting. This is a genre built around punishing mistakes, limited resources, very deliberate melee combat, and fairly spartan storytelling; there's a lot of individual elements you can borrow from and put into varied settings and tones, but it'd just feel a little incongruous to transfer that style of demanding gameplay into something tonally closer to Wind Waker, or to try to do that style of minimalist storytelling and resources into a sci-fi setting that doesn't have that sort of scarcity.

That's not to say that sort of style is impossible to move out of that 'dark fantasy' setting, you just have to recognize that not every part of that style is gonna be movable. As an example, I can immediately think of Gundam; that's definitely a property that could take the gameplay style of the Souls games and do well with it (even better than they'd suit Armored Core's gameplay, thanks to their love of giant robot sword fights), but it would have to take some losses; their action would be much faster, would have a lot more use of ranged weaponry, depending on which Gundam setting we're talking we'd lose elements of that scarcity of storytelling and resources. How much of that do we lose before it's not a Soulslike?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Triarii posted:

. (Doesn't help that the parry window seems to be super tight so it's easy to gently caress up even when you know the timing.)

I had a loving nightmare with parries until someone pointed out the trick - Don't tap the button like you would with sekiro, you have to briefly hold block. Think of it less like hitting parry, more like "start blocking at just the right time" . The timing is still tight, but if you whiff you'll at least get a normal block, which isn't much of a problem because you can easily get that health back.

I agree they lean a bit too hard on timing based windups, but at least they're consistent. None of ER's bullshit fakeouts.

(also where the hell did you get a tuning fork?)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

That's not to say that sort of style is impossible to move out of that 'dark fantasy' setting, you just have to recognize that not every part of that style is gonna be movable. As an example, I can immediately think of Gundam; that's definitely a property that could take the gameplay style of the Souls games and do well with it (even better than they'd suit Armored Core's gameplay, thanks to their love of giant robot sword fights), but it would have to take some losses; their action would be much faster, would have a lot more use of ranged weaponry, depending on which Gundam setting we're talking we'd lose elements of that scarcity of storytelling and resources. How much of that do we lose before it's not a Soulslike?

Gundam's setting is dark as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hel posted:

Lol, I get that people took it as a general complaint against Dark Souls clones, which yes, but also because a lot of DS enemies have the same problem of attacks animations being long windup->snappy attack. But apparently, it's only becomes a problem when someone other than FromSoftware does it.

Fromsoft enemies have the occasional bullshitty attack but here it seems to be the deliberate design intent and it's practically every attack. Like, you can beat your average dark souls boss pretty soundly by paying attention to its animations, not overextending yourself, and not getting baited into panic rolling (too much). The way you beat most bosses in Lies of P is by getting walloped over and over until you've built up a mental database of the timing of each attack, and then regurgitating that information accurately. It's frustrating because if the animations had been done slightly differently, it would be a whole different (and much more enjoyable) game.

Just for contrast, this is a clip of my first encounter with an Elden Ring boss. I had no information about this boss and had never seen its attacks. But I could time many of my dodges correctly because the frickin animation tells me when to press the button:

https://i.imgur.com/htzo8Ms.mp4

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I had a loving nightmare with parries until someone pointed out the trick - Don't tap the button like you would with sekiro, you have to briefly hold block. Think of it less like hitting parry, more like "start blocking at just the right time" . The timing is still tight, but if you whiff you'll at least get a normal block, which isn't much of a problem because you can easily get that health back.

I agree they lean a bit too hard on timing based windups, but at least they're consistent. None of ER's bullshit fakeouts.

(also where the hell did you get a tuning fork?)

That's kind of what I've been doing (and honestly how I approached Sekiro too when I wasn't confident on an enemy's timing) but I'll try to make sure I'm not letting go of the button too quickly.

No idea where I found the tuning fork. In a building somewhere? It's the blade part of the Blind Man's Double-Sided Spear.