Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Japan doesn't really age-segregate its media as much as the US does, it doesn't generally seem to feel the need to do "mature" editions of longrunning franchises. That being said, there was a thing for Medabots, which I sure liked as a kid when the show was brought over. Only one of the mainline Medabots games ever made it over here because translating RPGs is a pain and modern TV channels are garbage at co-marketing. Anyways, one of the more recent Medabots games had a lot of softcore, and that sure sounded weird. https://hardcoregamer.com/news/medabots-girls-mission-is-far-more-perverted-than-expected/190446/

They definitely do age segregation of media as much as the US does, it's just that what slots into those age categories differs from what the US would. There's not usually a need to do official mature versions of long running franchises since there's always a core contingent of otaku who stay consumers as the franchise goes on and they generally prefer it being as it is and trying to do a more mature version might be alienating to them. Tokusatsu is sorta the exception to that as their origins were based on more mature themes and then redirected towards kids to sell more merchandise, but they'll still put out specials and the like that would be considered more mature (e.g. Amazons, Shin Kamen Rider, Akibaranger)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember reading that in general, blood and violence aren't really seen as 'bad' for 6-and-under kids in Japan like it is here. Mostly it's about how much of a role model the lead hero is, which is why the biggest flaws a Kamen Rider lead can have are being a bit passive/wimpy (Shinji from Ryuki, Eiji from OOOs) or being snarky (Sento from Build, Ace from Geats).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mild swearing in kids cartoons is also acceptable over there from what I’ve seen (though literally translated a lot of Japanese swears are basically just ruder ways of saying the word “you” and thus can be adapted in number of ways)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
A good example of the differences in how Japan and the US view violence as being acceptable for children(especially back in the 80's) can be seen when you compare Voltron with one of its component series Go-Lion, Voltron is only slightly more violent than the average American action cartoon of the era, but that's only after they did a lot of editing and censoring of the source material, Go-Lion is a bloodbath to a degree that stands out even by Japanese standards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

A good example of the differences in how Japan and the US view violence as being acceptable for children(especially back in the 80's) can be seen when you compare Voltron with one of its component series Go-Lion, Voltron is only slightly more violent than the average American action cartoon of the era, but that's only after they did a lot of editing and censoring of the source material, Go-Lion is a bloodbath to a degree that stands out even by Japanese standards

Was Go-Lion even considered a kids show in Japan? That series was dark as gently caress

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

After rewatching all of Adventure Time I'm now trying to fill the hole with Steven Universe. There's some stuff about this show I like, but overall I'm having to keep to the episodes considered part of the main plot because the one off random adventures don't really interest me in the same way that random adventures in Adventure Time could. They just feel a bit aimless. The ones that are leading to something and revealing a bit of the mystery and suggesting longer continuity and simmering conflicts are interesting though, and the fact that its a long series with a lot of time to grow is promising. It's not very funny though. I think Rebecca Sugar was a crucial part of injecting emotion into Adventure Time but in her own show its so much about the emotions and hardly any laffs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ccs posted:

After rewatching all of Adventure Time I'm now trying to fill the hole with Steven Universe. There's some stuff about this show I like, but overall I'm having to keep to the episodes considered part of the main plot because the one off random adventures don't really interest me in the same way that random adventures in Adventure Time could. They just feel a bit aimless. The ones that are leading to something and revealing a bit of the mystery and suggesting longer continuity and simmering conflicts are interesting though, and the fact that its a long series with a lot of time to grow is promising. It's not very funny though. I think Rebecca Sugar was a crucial part of injecting emotion into Adventure Time but in her own show its so much about the emotions and hardly any laffs.

Regret to inform, there are no episodes that don't lead to something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People, if you have to make complex lists of which episodes of a show you might want to watch, just don't bother watching it.

(no but seriously if you don't enjoy the townies don't watch Steven Universe)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Steven Universe wants you to engage with it holistically. Even if strict plot cause-and-effect don't tie two episodes together, Steven's (and the audience's) emotional understanding of the world and the connections between people are important. Peedee the fries kid is a thematic keystone to the entire series and you wouldn't know it from any skiplist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mayor Joel Hodgson is a delight. All aspects of that show are equally delightful imo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah the townies are incredibly important to what the show is doing, but also, as the show goes on it the distinction between "plot episodes" and "townie episodes" blurs heavily. There's a lot of overlap there and there's quite a few metaplots with them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Even as someone who’s cooled a lot on Steven Universe, yeah there’s no such thing as non-plot episodes in Steven Universe. The journey of emotional intelligence is the plot. The townie episodes are vital to Steven being the person the plot requires him to be. They don’t work without each other.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, there is no such thing as filler in Steven Universe. If you’re not down with the way the show’s set up after a few episodes it’s not for you (also it has Joel Hodgson and the woman who would later go on to play Catra in SPoP AJ Michalka)

Edit: Actually I take that back, there’s an episode where they crossover with Uncle Grandpa which was terrible in my opinion

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 27, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, there is no such thing as filler in Steven Universe. If you’re not down with the way the show’s set up after a few episodes it’s not for you (also it has Joel Hodgson and the woman who would later go on to play Catra in SPoP AJ Michalka)

Edit: Actually I take that back, there’s an episode where they crossover with Uncle Grandpa which was terrible in my opinion

Which is also unskippable as it contains a key plot development!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately yes because otherwise it’s the only episode of SU I flat out hated

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I ended up preferring Adventure Time's one-off adventures more than it's "main plot", not because I don't like proper plots, but because I just didn't like the type of story that the lore episodes wanted to be about, and a lot of what originally brought me to the show.

You end up with a lot of weird bits that started out as just silly jokes having to carry a lot of dramatic weight.

DoctorWhat posted:

Steven Universe wants you to engage with it holistically. Even if strict plot cause-and-effect don't tie two episodes together, Steven's (and the audience's) emotional understanding of the world and the connections between people are important. Peedee the fries kid is a thematic keystone to the entire series and you wouldn't know it from any skiplist.

Yeah, the groove of Steven Universe is all about being in a small town on the beach. Not a lot happens, Steven has a lot of days where just nothing happens. But every so often poo poo kicks off.

The episodes about the gems definitely are more interesting than the episodes about the townies or just Steven on his own, but the show is very resolute about being about Steven.

Ccs posted:

I remember that show mostly just for how iconic certain english voice acting was. And later learned a lot of heavieight animators worked on it. It wonder if it was a nice break for them because of how simple all the designs are.

I think that the show got a lot of mileage out of being able to insert in dialogue for characters whose mouths aren't showing, and there's some topical references thrown in.

The kids in Medabots always felt more like kids to me compared to the characters in pokemon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Confession I have about early 2000s mon shows:

I will absolutely 100% cop to the fact that Digimon Tamers is a better show than the original Adventure. Stronger plot, better dramatic voice acting, does more interesting things, gets darker, has a stronger core cast by virtue of a smaller one.

But I find Adventure more... rewatchable? I guess? Maybe it's just because Tamers requires more effort but Adventure is much more easy for me to just pick up and watch when I'm in the mood.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Steven Universe was incredible for its first two seasons then almost immediately falls apart from season 3 onward

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

steven universe is good imo but any discourse about it is insufferable, watch it or don't, nothing matters

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

steven universe is good imo but any discourse about it is insufferable, watch it or don't, nothing matters
correct

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What was the key plot development?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Covok posted:

What was the key plot development?

Steven masters a power that he was previously unable to use intentionally, and which he is able to use at-will after that episode, so if you skip it he just randomly stops having trouble using it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Junpei posted:

Confession I have about early 2000s mon shows:

I will absolutely 100% cop to the fact that Digimon Tamers is a better show than the original Adventure. Stronger plot, better dramatic voice acting, does more interesting things, gets darker, has a stronger core cast by virtue of a smaller one.

But I find Adventure more... rewatchable? I guess? Maybe it's just because Tamers requires more effort but Adventure is much more easy for me to just pick up and watch when I'm in the mood.

You are describing the exact dilema I had about two years ago about Digimon. Tamers is and remains my favorite series, but its so dark and heavy that it can be much harder to get through. It's also more serialized. You can't watch a random episode because it has very few one-off episodes. And I think that's partly because there are less kids so you have less "focus" episodes that only care about one kid.

Have you watched Ghost Game or Adventure 2020? The former is really good and the later is better than people realize.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Covok posted:

You are describing the exact dilema I had about two years ago about Digimon. Tamers is and remains my favorite series, but its so dark and heavy that it can be much harder to get through. It's also more serialized. You can't watch a random episode because it has very few one-off episodes. And I think that's partly because there are less kids so you have less "focus" episodes that only care about one kid.

Have you watched Ghost Game or Adventure 2020? The former is really good and the later is better than people realize.

I was watching Ghost Game for a bit but I fell off (no cardinal sin, just sorta fell to the wayside). Didn't watch 2020, not for any particular reason, just didn't.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The criticism about the townie episodes feeling more disconnected and less relevant overall to SU is one of the general criticisms I can at least understand. I see with what they're going for with the townie episodes, and they're important to Steven's character growth, as well as the show's themes and pacing, but I think that they missed a major opportunity by making so many of them disconnected from the Crystal Gems. Ostensibly Steven's interactions with the townies are supposed to reinforce the theme of him, as a half-gem, being a bridge between humanity and the gems and his interactions with the human folk of the town being something that largely shape the worldview that allows him to challenge the ingrained biases of gem society, but too many of these episodes ended up completely side-lining the Crystal Gems when making them more directly involved in Steven's interactions with the townies could have further strengthened the themes they were building.

And it's not like this idea of Steven as a conduit for the Crystal Gems to connect with humanity is something the creators didn't think of or didn't want to pursue: It's actually something that happens from time to time, it just doesn't happen as often as I think it should have. It's a minor quibble overall, but definitely something I think could have been done better if they had the chance to do things again.

As a contrast: I think Amphibia ended up pulling off a similar setup much more gracefully, with Anne's various one-off misadventures with the people of Wartwood serving to push forward her growth as a character without having those episodes feel disposable or disconnected from the ongoing plot of the series.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, a big part of the first season of Amphibia -- the only one I've seen so far -- is about Anne integrating with her new community; the episodes with the various frogs aren't a distraction from the arc, they're the arc.

Sidebar, based on having recently finished the first season, but I thought the finale weirdly dropped the ball in this regard. It's a decent enough episode, sort of this story where Anne finally stands up to an overbearing childhood friend / bully, and charts her journey from a character who's easily peer pressured (in flashbacks that take place in the hours leading up to the first episode) to one who's capable of standing up for herself and for her own beliefs (in the present).

Like I said, it's a fine idea for a finale, except Anne's actually never had much of a problem with standing up to people. If anything, her arc's been about learning to listen to authority figures instead of dismissing them out of hand (most often in the form of her conflicts with Pop Pop), and about adapting to the ways of her community instead of insisting upon her own needs and ways of doing things. The finale reads like the culmination of a character arc from a completely different season of television.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The 5th series of Digimon, which I think is Data Squad (the one where the protagonist punches the opponent to get Agumon to evolve) is also pretty rad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Covok posted:

Ghost Game seems decent but it also feels like it was created because someone was like "we have to make a yokai watch ripoff using the Digimon ip"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters is also pretty good in my opinion

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Digimon Adventure and Digimon Tamers are very different stories, it's simple as that. In retrospect Adventure may seem bloated but having a big cast and lots of very different kids gives it a lot to do, and every character gets their arc and exploration. The name is really fitting as it's basically a big quest across a vast and strange world that always has something new over the horizon, and it does the classic anime stuff with character development reflected with external power and agency.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also the writer behind Tamers who also wrote Serial Experiments Lain did a cast read-through sequel script special where the villain is called Political Correctness with a special attack named Cancel Culture, so... that kinda puts a damper on things.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

Yeah, there is no such thing as filler in Steven Universe.
this is true on some level but also anything with Ronaldo is bad

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sivart13 posted:

this is true on some level but also anything with Ronaldo is bad

He had an interesting aspect in that he was obsessed with things being aliens or an ancient conspiracy, but when told that those things were due to the Crystal Gems and therefore it WAS aliens, he lost interest because it was "Just" those aliens, aliens that have been around so long they've become well known. It IS aliens, but there is no secret knowledge, so it doesn't make him special so he loses interest.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__ztikjTok

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is actually a thing in the show that Captain Planet is weak to pollution, defined somewhat conceptually, and given Heart is an element among them is weakness to hatred, pollution of the heart. It's actually very key to his whole deal and Ma'Ti may be a punchline but he has flat out mind control powers at times.

...weirdly reminded of when I was playing with capsule machine toys with some kids in a holiday park and used an orange ring to declare Heart, and a kid played it out deciding to act nicer to me, and I still have no idea how to process it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mystes posted:

Ghost Game seems decent but it also feels like it was created because someone was like "we have to make a yokai watch ripoff using the Digimon ip"

That would be odd because Yokai Watch stopped being super popular years before Ghost Game, not that there probably isn't some DNA of it in there, but I'd have to look at any major staff connections.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scott Pilgrim series teaser:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=68OueL-Iv2o

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I recently rewatched all of Steven Universe for the first time in years and can conclude that's it's still one of the best children's cartoons out there from beginning to end. I'm not going to even pretend to understand the people who think show went downhill after season 2/3. SU Future was also just as good as the main series, if not better.

Ronaldo is fine, my favourite episode involving him is easily Rocknaldo because it's about allies who try to make everything about them.

I usually enjoy HausOfDecline's stuff but find that comic to be unfunny, I'm just tired of people invoking Godwin's Law on this cartoon even as a joke lol.

DoctorWhat posted:

kidcoelacanth posted:

True.

Anyways, here's Rebecca Sugar showing some storyboards for an unproduced episode made before the show aired. Cool to see a couple of concepts making its way into series eventually.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1706437895932850226

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I always feel like I'm in the minority, because I actually like Ronaldo. Maybe I just have a higher than average tolerance for watching Reddit weirdos being terrible?