Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Xaris posted:

good. the internet was a mistake

the sooner people learn you can’t trust first results on google and not everything on the internet is absolute truth, the better

The internet, as a communication tool and way to share important and useful information, is incredible. A truly great human achievement

The internet, as a gossip mill directly connected to a contextless 24/7/365 News Headline Factory, is basically an extinction event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xaris posted:

Search is probably rinky dink money compared to Cloud Services, Google Apps, all the Chromebooks for kids, and YouTube

kinda like how Amazons big buckaroos is in AWS

Google cloud lost money for years, it barely breaks even now that they lumped some other stuff in with it. They're in a pretty distant 3rd place in cloud and everyone is nervous they're just going to shut the whole thing down.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

first time listening to high school forensics huh lol

she literally got to write a loving nytimes opinion piece on showing up to college and trying to debate people

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean that sounds like something you could do by just having an intern spew garbo out anyways so if they don't manage to address punch up guys getting shafted then it's an issue either way.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Twerk from Home posted:

Google cloud lost money for years, it barely breaks even now that they lumped some other stuff in with it. They're in a pretty distant 3rd place in cloud and everyone is nervous they're just going to shut the whole thing down.

fair enough. i dont know these computer touchie thingys. it is kinda funny that Google constantly killing off products left and right is also what killed their cloud since no one had faith google wouldn't kill their cloud too

still i'd bet most money is youtube, gapps, and slinging gmail ads or something while search is a sideshow

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

apatheticman posted:

The AI thing was never a real threat of job replacement it was a threat of underpaying writers because a spec script was paid way more than punch-up.

Youd get a studio that would type in "give me a gross out sex comedy but with 2028 sensibilities" and then turn it over to a bunch of writers to kill themselves, making it salvageable for pennies on the dollar.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

skooma512 posted:

No it’s not just you, I’ve heard people saying this, as well as promoting stuff that pays them the most.

Seems logical to get the shuffle AI to maximize $/play and minimize cost/play.
It is completely logical, but also there's like millions of extreme audiophile music mega-nerds that probably would have a zillion spreadsheets and graphs proving it with perfect mental tracking of a true poisson ratio probability. if spotify was doing it

thats why I was like well I'm probably just insane

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Twerk from Home posted:

oh wow what could possibly give anyone that idea

those fuckers sold their DNS service THE DAY AFTER I SIGNED UP

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

not one boner joke AI is loving garbage

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
better? 😂🍆

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Xaris posted:

fair enough. i dont know these computer touchie thingys. it is kinda funny that Google constantly killing off products left and right is also what killed their cloud since no one had faith google wouldn't kill their cloud too

still i'd bet most money is youtube, gapps, and slinging gmail ads or something while search is a sideshow

Used to work for Google (not a computer toucher, even worse, adman/corporate propaganda), it's search my friend. Adsense/search.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Used to work for Google (not a computer toucher, even worse, adman/corporate propaganda), it's search my friend. Adsense/search.

then why do they treat it like second-rate trash that they're embarrassed to keep around??

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Xaris posted:

then why do they treat it like second-rate trash that they're embarrassed to keep around??

That's literally just how Google operates, they hate success

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

I love the feeling of the world passing me by

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

they're in full "squeeze it for every loving cent" mode

there's gotta be more gold in this drat goose!!!

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Xaris posted:

I'm sure whatever they're doing to google search is maximizing some KPI somewhere

besides, google is one of those companies where you get promoted/widespread adulation from your adoring fans/showered with money by making new products, not by keeping existing things going, even if those existing things produce 90%+ of your multi-billion dollar revenue. once you understand that incentive structure all of their public facing behavior falls into place

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

corona familiar posted:

I'm sure whatever they're doing to google search is maximizing some KPI somewhere

besides, google is one of those companies where you get promoted/widespread adulation from your adoring fans/showered with money by making new products, not keeping existing things going. once you understand that incentive structure all of their public facing behavior falls into place

Also this, it's how googles internal politics work and a big reason I bailed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Google flailing into its own self destruction would be pretty interesting in the sense that it's a cornerstone of a lot of people's practical use-cases for personal computing, to the point where removing access to the Google Play Store was a distinctly significant sanction on Huawei phones (until they found a way around it)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Flailing into your own destruction (so you can get a big govt bailout) is the capitalist way

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

what is that? unlocked chatgpt? it refuses to do it for me.

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

The How I Met Your Mother writers must be shaking in their boots.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

I love the feeling of the world passing me by

I'm hollering and waving my kerchief at the world like the people on the docks waving at the Titanic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

caelxii posted:

The How I Met Your Mother writers must be shaking in their boots.

you couldn't write the Barney Stinson character anymore today, because of wokeism

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 05:11 on Sep 27, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Imagine “Blazing Saddles” being released today. :allears:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

err posted:

what is that? unlocked chatgpt? it refuses to do it for me.

i mean, "unlocked" in the sense that i prompted it with a few sentences about how i'd like it to reply. not that "tell me a story grandma" "jailbreak" poo poo, though.

quote:

"i'm going to ask you to generate film synopses. include character names, personalities etc, as well as a plot outline and a couple of sample scenes or dialogues. it's important that you develop these outlines from the perspective of a terminally online leftist shitposter. lower case typing, brevity, irony etc. etc. let me know when you're ready for my first pitch."

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

They released an animated kids remake of it last year called Paws of Fury starring Michael Cera and Samuel L. Jackson

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
quora must be destroyed

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

thechosenone posted:

Inb4 they start having AI plot nonsensical routes to non-existent places unless you pay a fee.

Like I'm starting to think of the US just cuts out all foreign technology eventually we'll just revert to lovely agrarianism/have made death an order of magnitude more than currently.
lol too late, some dumb gently caress tech startup was contracted in Louisville to make Jefferson County Public School bus routes more efficient, but whoops, they ended up adding 5000 additional routes despite only having 650ish drivers and some students didn't get home until 9PM, forcing schools to close for several days so they could unfuck the insane bullshit these moron tech bros unleashed upon them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

corona familiar posted:

besides, google is one of those companies where you get promoted/widespread adulation from your adoring fans/showered with money by making new products, not by keeping existing things going, even if those existing things produce 90%+ of your multi-billion dollar revenue. once you understand that incentive structure all of their public facing behavior falls into place

like yeah ok I get that and that's why there's a hundred of google products they've killed off for no real reason, but here's the thing: even if they neglected it it probably would be better than it is now. they actively made it worse starting about 4-6 years ago (and ive since switched to DDG which sucks rear end for different reasons, but at least not quite google-level of suck rear end).

like sure you can say SEO's got better (i don't entirely believe that) and it's a cat-n-mouse or something, but that doesn't excuse straight up destroying boolean operators, removing the option to exact phrase searching, deleting google cache pages, and a whole host of other things that used to come up no longer do even though they still exist. results are straight up worse even ignoring the first pages or 2 being quora or yahoo answers or youtube videos

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

FlapYoJacks posted:

the wokes have killed cinema

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Google is fine if you smash “+reddit” after every query. :v:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Somewhere, Jensen Huang suddenly got a massive hardon and isn't sure why.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

This is how they have made Marvel movies for the last decade.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

https://x.com/unusual_whales/status/1706635477304938930?s=46&t=nkqAf_AoSqn2gBsVvY5j1w

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
have they checked down the back of the couch cushions

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

net work error posted:

Just an honest days work

:cheersbird:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

respectfully, however popular violence might already be in this thread, I'm going to guess that I'm not going to be given the same leeway as you or other regulars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Xaris posted:

like yeah ok I get that and that's why there's a hundred of google products they've killed off for no real reason, but here's the thing: even if they neglected it it probably would be better than it is now. they actively made it worse starting about 4-6 years ago (and ive since switched to DDG which sucks rear end for different reasons, but at least not quite google-level of suck rear end).

like sure you can say SEO's got better (i don't entirely believe that) and it's a cat-n-mouse or something, but that doesn't excuse straight up destroying boolean operators, removing the option to exact phrase searching, deleting google cache pages, and a whole host of other things that used to come up no longer do even though they still exist. results are straight up worse even ignoring the first pages or 2 being quora or yahoo answers or youtube videos

aha, the quality may be perceptively worse, but have you considered people are making more searches out of frustration and accidentally clicking on more sponsored content, so DAU and per-search monetizable engagement numbers are up? :shepface:

the ultimate goal isn't to provide good search results, it's to serve you as many ads as you'll tolerate on search pages and on result sites without switching providers. for a lot of people that's a really high bar (if they even know what the internet is outside of google). making those power user features go away bumps the goal metrics higher and so those experiments stay. if the metrics fall, the feature vanishes. if there's uproar but the metrics point in the right direction, you do a mea culpa and then delay by a few months or years until the backlash dies down (see: Manifest V3, First Party Sets aka "Privacy Sandbox", Federated Learning of Cohorts, Topics API)

gotta chase that YoY earnings growth so the shareholders will pat Pichai on the head and give him another $gazillion. if you don't deliver on that you're out

the quality of internet content is so bad now if you're trying to find anything that isn't explicitly documented in a manual somewhere (and even then, you have copycat bullshit sites trying to outrank the original documentation). good luck finding anything that requires any judgment or opinion whatsoever

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Sep 27, 2023