Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
if they can print "can be played as your commander" on planeswalkers whats stopping them from doing that with an artifact or enchantment

or land :sss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

starbarry clock posted:

if they can print "can be played as your commander" on planeswalkers whats stopping them from doing that with an artifact or enchantment

There's shorikai

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's shorikai

oh yeah

i was also thinking of the double faced cards where you can cast the other side which might not be a typically command zone legal card but itd be cool to have an uncounterable commander you can play turn 1 right

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want a Saga that turns into a Commander. Imagine having Kami War as your Commander.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

You'll have a Commander that turns into a saga and you'll like it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

You'll have a Commander that turns into a saga and you'll like it.

So, the MOM Praetors?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

starbarry clock posted:

The kaldheim gods are this?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
At some of the convention events (not mystery boosters) they’ve been using playtest cards that are supposed to be from R&D and the ones this weekend were exploring the commander design space. Saw a handful of people with spells that can be used as a commander and have partner (think like the oath breaker EDH variant). Guy across from me opened a red and blue one so he made a spells commander deck for the event. So they’re definitely experimenting with the idea and it may show up in a commander legends like set or maybe you see it in like the next strixhaven precons.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

pseudanonymous posted:

The kaldheim gods are this?

kinda! i mentioned them after, was thinking about prismatic bridge, but i think double face cards are against the spirit of what i was saying with adding the line of "this card can also be your commander" since they dont say it

even if they invisibly have that text on them by virtue of being part of a legendary creature

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Yiggy posted:

At some of the convention events (not mystery boosters) they’ve been using playtest cards that are supposed to be from R&D and the ones this weekend were exploring the commander design space. Saw a handful of people with spells that can be used as a commander and have partner (think like the oath breaker EDH variant). Guy across from me opened a red and blue one so he made a spells commander deck for the event. So they’re definitely experimenting with the idea and it may show up in a commander legends like set or maybe you see it in like the next strixhaven precons.

The Unknown Events aren't from R&D in the sense that they're proper playtest cards, they're silly fun ideas. In Barcelona (which I think was repeated for GenCon) we had things like Rampant, Growth which was a legendary sorcery that could be your commander. I imagine the LV pool is different again.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

starbarry clock posted:

oh yeah

i was also thinking of the double faced cards where you can cast the other side which might not be a typically command zone legal card but itd be cool to have an uncounterable commander you can play turn 1 right

There's the Battle for New Phyrexia that once beaten flips to a new Teferi.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
did someone already mention the blood avatar friend guy

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Technowolf posted:

So, the MOM Praetors?

Yes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

did someone already mention the blood avatar friend guy

Seems kind of cool, guessing you make yourself lots of tokens to sac and then pop off with those avatar tokens.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Spoilers for the upcoming Ixalan set:The new red God from today's previews feels like it's up there with commanders like Tergrid in terms of setting the mood at the table before you've even shuffled up, especially with all the punishment effects already available in red.

"Oh, you just played a land? That's 4 damage. You tapped it for mana? That's another 4 damage. It's a non-basic land? You guessed it, 4 more damage. You used that mana to cast a spell? Another 4 damage." It also seems ridiculously easy to close out a game with Grapeshot.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Skios posted:

Spoilers for the upcoming Ixalan set:The new red God from today's previews feels like it's up there with commanders like Tergrid in terms of setting the mood at the table before you've even shuffled up, especially with all the punishment effects already available in red.

"Oh, you just played a land? That's 4 damage. You tapped it for mana? That's another 4 damage. It's a non-basic land? You guessed it, 4 more damage. You used that mana to cast a spell? Another 4 damage." It also seems ridiculously easy to close out a game with Grapeshot.

Imagine getting to play like 20 games of Commander in the amount of time it used to take you to play one, though.

Mana Barbs, Burning Earth, Ankh of Mishra, Zo-Zu the Punisher, Sulfuric Vortex, Impatience, and Spellshock. Make sure you play a Blood Moon for extra salt.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Skios posted:

It’s mono red like just actually run interaction.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

:eng101: Doesn't work unless you also run Painter's Servant.

(I made the same mistake until someone on Discord pointed out that it only works with red sources.)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Skios posted:

:eng101: Doesn't work unless you also run Painter's Servant.

(I made the same mistake until someone on Discord pointed out that it only works with red sources.)

Run it anyway! Make them rue the day they ever decided to play a land.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

hey now, mono-red is a weirdly competitive color choice between Magda, Godo, and Slicer

that card seems like an upgraded Zo-Zu, where it'll terrorize people playing sufficiently inefficient battlecruiser magic but also tend to not win many games due incentivizing the entire table to band together to murder you and not being that fast a win (despite dramatically speeding up casual games as a whole)

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

pseudanonymous posted:

LGD posted:

hey now, mono-red is a weirdly competitive color choice between Magda, Godo, and Slicer

that card seems like an upgraded Zo-Zu, where it'll terrorize people playing sufficiently inefficient battlecruiser magic but also tend to not win many games due incentivizing the entire table to band together to murder you and not being that fast a win (despite dramatically speeding up casual games as a whole)

These peeps have it right, just play white or blue and the problem immediately goes away. It's way less obnoxious than Slicer is.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I deeply respect people who play decks which rarely ever win but always make the game take significantly shorter. You're doing a genuine public good.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

actually thinking about it a little more, and it does differ from Zo-Zu in that its effect inherently breaks parity on your red punisher spells and (probably more importantly) also has applications outside of that kind of strategy, since you can use it like an opponent-only Ghyrson Starn that empowers more proactive cards like Thermo-Alchemist or w/e (which maybe lets you play political games while whittling down life totals vs. just slamming permanents that immediately make you enemy #1, especially since it has the ability to make obnoxious-but-not-particularly-threatening permanents suddenly become very threatening)

still, you're trying to do that in mono-red and I don't see it being competitive, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it the threshold for "sufficiently inefficient"/lacking adequate removal ends up being higher than I initially thought

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

I deeply respect people who play decks which rarely ever win but always make the game take significantly shorter. You're doing a genuine public good.

I have a mono-red commander deck that's mostly a gimmick around dropping Chandra planeswalkers and doubling/tripling damage effects. It rarely ever wins but I go into the game with a "I don't need to win, I just need you to lose" mentality and aim at whoever's the biggest turd at the table.

Giving everyone emblems that damage them is a great way to put a timer on the game too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Making someone specific lose is the main way to win commander. Usually by the time someone wins everyone has checked out anyway and are just waiting for the next game or to wrap it up.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

Imagine getting to play like 20 games of Commander in the amount of time it used to take you to play one, though.

Mana Barbs, Burning Earth, Ankh of Mishra, Zo-Zu the Punisher, Sulfuric Vortex, Impatience, and Spellshock. Make sure you play a Blood Moon for extra salt.

Don't forget Pyrohemia. (more specific talk about the card behind the spoiler) It not expanding the damage to creatures is not necessarily a downside here since you could fire it off multiple times, and if you have enough manage to have enough mana I believe you can just re-transform it and keep going to at least keep the enchantment.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've already got a mono-red 'Finish Games Quickly' deck - Heartless Hidetsugu. I'm thinking it's time to take that one apart to create some fireworks.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Khanstant posted:

Seems kind of cool, guessing you make yourself lots of tokens to sac and then pop off with those avatar tokens.

Buddy at the card shop runs this deck, and yeah, it almost becomes like rakdos control because he's able to generate enough things to sac that he can cast the spell multiple times, even with commander tax.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I made an all sliver deck, literally aside from the lands its literally only slivers, so no artifacts, no enchantments, no auras, no sorceries, and its crazy fun. :haw: :cthulhu:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I made an all sliver deck, literally aside from the lands its literally only slivers, so no artifacts, no enchantments, no auras, no sorceries, and its crazy fun. :haw: :cthulhu:

Did you include the best Slivers, Chameleon Colossus and Taurean Mauler?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Batterypowered7 posted:

Did you include the best Slivers, Chameleon Colossus and Taurean Mauler?

If they aren't pure slivers they don't go in :colbert:

Except for Rukarumel, who I let in because she's a sleaboo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah gently caress it, I'm merging the Sliver and Eldrazi precons. Slivdrazi here we go.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Except for Rukarumel, who I let in because she's a sleaboo.

So you just name humans when you cast her I guess? Or do you go for the gusto and name slivers.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Raenir Salazar posted:

As a card carrying Sliver Snob myself, here's the Galaxy Brain meme version of this:
  • Tiny Brain: I'm putting in value creatures like Craterhoof Behemoth into my Sliver deck.
  • Sparking Brain: Sorry, but Changelings aren't Slivers in my book, so I'm not including Mirror Entity.
  • Shimmering Brain: Those terrible humaniform slivers from M14 are an abomination, and not in a cool way. There are a few reprints with better art, like Manaweft Sliver, at least.
  • Exploding Brain: "Slivers you control" is cheating and the worst thing Magic ever did. Symmetrical effects or bust.
  • Galaxy Brain: Those chumps at the Riptide Project were posers. As a true Sliver aficionado, I only put original Rathi slivers (or ORS, as we enthusiasts call them). Also, Metallic Sliver is my commander.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have a sliver deck that I originally made with the core being the old Sliver deck from the "premium deck series". It only has a handful of non-sliver/land cards, and mostly just stuff I found neat in college. Things like Coat of Arms and Akroma's Memorial.

I get told all the time it's a "bad" deck all the time because it's almost entirely creatures, but gently caress em. The bulk of the deck was made 10+ years ago and I think I've swapped out maybe 6 cards since then.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Raenir Salazar posted:

I did the same with elves (commander is Abomination of Llanowar). All-creature is a fun gimmick for deckbuilding.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pseudanonymous posted:

So you just name humans when you cast her I guess? Or do you go for the gusto and name slivers.

I name slivers of course! It's what she'd want.

Magnetic North posted:

As a card carrying Sliver Snob myself, here's the Galaxy Brain meme version of this:
  • Tiny Brain: I'm putting in value creatures like Craterhoof Behemoth into my Sliver deck.
  • Sparking Brain: Sorry, but Changelings aren't Slivers in my book, so I'm not including Mirror Entity.
  • Shimmering Brain: Those terrible humaniform slivers from M14 are an abomination, and not in a cool way. There are a few reprints with better art, like Manaweft Sliver, at least.
  • Exploding Brain: "Slivers you control" is cheating and the worst thing Magic ever did. Symmetrical effects or bust.
  • Galaxy Brain: Those chumps at the Riptide Project were posers. As a true Sliver aficionado, I only put original Rathi slivers (or ORS, as we enthusiasts call them). Also, Metallic Sliver is my commander.

I think I'm somewhat between Shimmering and Exploding :D I don't mind it being humaniform if it has an interesting effect and is at least Creature - Sliver and the distinction between "All Slivers" vs "You Control" doesn't matter too much in my groups meta.

It is REALLY funny though whenever my friends cast a "go through the top cards of your library until you find a instant or sorcery and then shuffle them into your library" and I just reveal my entire deck because I have none.

loving Blood Moon though cripples me. I only have 5 basic lands. :mad:

Its not a fast deck by any means but it has a certain narrative engagement to it, where its like a cosmic horror/tyranid invasion. It starts off slow and easily manageable but in a commander game with more than 2 players it often isn't worth the removal when the other player is progressing their game board faster, and by the time you're like Oh poo poo, the slivers are too powerful to be easily removed because they're now all invincible, uncounterable, invincible with shroud and are also like 10/10 fliers with double strike that can only be blocked by slivers :haw:

I call the deck Sliver me timbers.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I call the deck Sliver me timbers.

Lol my buddy named my sliver deck this exact thing :cheers:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

It is REALLY funny though whenever my friends cast a "go through the top cards of your library until you find a instant or sorcery and then shuffle them into your library" and I just reveal my entire deck because I have none.

A copy of patriarch’s bidding is fun as well, just something to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chakan posted:

A copy of patriarch’s bidding is fun as well, just something to consider.

only non-creature spell in my Sliver deck is Flying Crane Technique, because :getin: