Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

anyone who wasn't the literal face of the lockdowns will have a significant advantage, but that won't stop those types from trying.

Anyway new chanting street gangs just dropped:

https://x.com/WhiteRoseSocAU/status/1706845281441181904?s=20

Never discount the nuttiness and racism of Hindu-Supremacists.

Normally they just hate Muslims, but recently they've turned their eye to Sikhs.

As I see it, (removed from it all and just following the bullshit that my dad spews/follows on facebook), it's an off shoot of the "Bharat" nonsense, which now includes "Khalistan" shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Why would anyone gently caress with Sikhs.

As well as being objectively the kindest religion, they're also the only one that's armed.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Why would anyone gently caress with Sikhs.

As well as being objectively the kindest religion, they're also the only one that's armed.

I like how they take feeding people seriously

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

GoldStandardConure posted:

arctic circle = bear circle

antarctic circle = not bear circle
The entymology is quite literally this.

Fun fact: :eng101: the scientific name for the Brown Bear Ursus Arctos comes from the Latin and Greek and means Bear Bear. :eng99:

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 27, 2023

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cable Guy posted:

Fun fact: :eng101: the scientific name for the Brown Bear Ursus Arctos comes from the Latin and Greek and means Bear Bear :eng99:

:shocked pikachu face:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

:shocked pikachu face:

The Marsican brown bear sub-species has the scientific name Ursus Arctos Arctos which means Bear Bear Bear... :supaburn:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cable Guy posted:

Fun fact: :eng101: the scientific name for the Brown Bear Ursus Arctos comes from the Latin and Greek and means Bear Bear. :eng99:

... yes, but to be clear, they're not actually talking about the presence and absence of polar bears, they're talking about the visibility of the constellation Ursa Major, which you can always see in the arctic circle.

The thing about the correlation to distribution of actual bears is a wild and wonderful coincidence.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

The thing about the correlation to distribution of actual bears is a wild and wonderful coincidence.

I mean, not really. People who have never seen a bear are unlikely to name a constellation after one.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cable Guy posted:

The Marsican brown bear sub-species has the scientific name Ursus Arctos Arctos which means Bear Bear Bear... :supaburn:

bufo bufo

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Captain Theron posted:

I mean, not really. People who have never seen a bear are unlikely to name a constellation after one.

The constellation was named independently of polar exploration, and the Arctic was named after the constellation.

The fact that there are bears there has nothing to do with it, and the fact that there are no bears in the Antarctic has nothing to do with its name meaning "not-bears".

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I have the most specific pet peeve with Jacinta Allan which is that she was transport minister for a long time while I was a postgrad student, and Vic is the only state in Aus that forces postgrads to pay full fee public transport rates even if they're full time students

Yeah, you can still get the concession if you have a health care card, but it's not a high threshold to get kicked off that, and you can also be in a frustrating position if your income varies throughout the year (eg taking on more shifts during the uni holidays) of continuously being kicked off and having to reapply for a health care card

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

The constellation was named independently of polar exploration, and the Arctic was named after the constellation.

The fact that there are bears there has nothing to do with it, and the fact that there are no bears in the Antarctic has nothing to do with its name meaning "not-bears".

People who lived in bear regions named a constellation they could see after bears. The bear constellation can be seen from bear filled regions. The Arctic was named after the constellation that can be seen there, that overlaps with bear regions, hence its name. It's really not that complicated.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Captain Theron posted:

People who lived in bear regions named a constellation they could see after bears. The bear constellation can be seen from bear filled regions. The Arctic was named after the constellation that can be seen there, that overlaps with bear regions, hence its name. It's really not that complicated.

If polar bears didn't exist, the Arctic would still have the same name.

And if those stars looked more like a bird, that region would be called Aviatic or something.

e - "Arktos Megale" as Ptolemy called it, or Ursa Major as we know it now, wasn't named after a polar bear, nor by people who live in polar region.

There are many species of bear that live in many different regions.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 27, 2023

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ill need to see more words and images to prove that.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

Ill need to see more words and images to prove that.

If it was a global security threat I'd give them to you

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

And if those stars looked more like a bird, that region would be called Aviatic or something.

e - "Arktos Megale" as Ptolemy called it, or Ursa Major as we know it now, wasn't named after a polar bear, nor by people who live in polar region.

yeah but bird-circle and not-bird-circle would be a bad way to name it as there are an awful lot of birds (at the moment) in the so called not-bird-circle

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

penguins are just birds who want to be fish

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

OK, let's try this one last time.
Yes, the region was named after the constellation. But what was the constellation named after? Bears.
The Greek word ἀρκτικός arktikos, means near the bear and also means to the north, because the bears were in the north, and the vaguely bear shaped constellation was in the north. Even if bears' range stopped just north of Greece, the important idea for the Greeks was that bears and the bear constellation were north of them. It's not a coincidence that bears are found in the areas that the constellation can be seen from, it's why the constellation was named such and why groups other than the Greeks continued to use the name.

It's like if Australia was called emu after the constellation (anti-constellation?) and then we were surprised that there were emus there. People name constellations after things their culture has a concept for, even if they're mythological. Greeks weren't naming stars after emus because they had no idea what an emu was.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

yeah but bird-circle and not-bird-circle would be a bad way to name it as there are an awful lot of birds (at the moment) in the so called not-bird-circle

Exactly, we're very lucky it worked out the way it did, otherwise that would be very silly indeed.

Aristotle really rolled the dice when he referred to "Antarctica" in 350 BCE, but boy did it pay off.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

penguins are just birds who want to be fish

given the way my parrot goes hog wild for showers and baths i think all birds have a yearning to be a fish

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
I'd just like to say that I appreciate the irony of Australians arguing about what counts as a bear....

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 27, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Captain Theron posted:

OK, let's try this one last time.
Yes, the region was named after the constellation. But what was the constellation named after? Bears.
The Greek word ἀρκτικός arktikos, means near the bear and also means to the north, because the bears were in the north, and the vaguely bear shaped constellation was in the north. Even if bears' range stopped just north of Greece, the important idea for the Greeks was that bears and the bear constellation were north of them. It's not a coincidence that bears are found in the areas that the constellation can be seen from, it's why the constellation was named such and why groups other than the Greeks continued to use the name.

It's like if Australia was called emu after the constellation (anti-constellation?) and then we were surprised that there were emus there. People name constellations after things their culture has a concept for, even if they're mythological. Greeks weren't naming stars after emus because they had no idea what an emu was.

It is a coincidence that there is a unique sub-species of bear that happens to live in a completely different environment to the one the greeks or romans saw their bears in, yes.

And it is also a coincidence (notwithstanding the real geographic barriers) that the almost identical environment at the opposite end of the earth does not have those same animals, while also having a name which literally translates to "those animals aren't here".

Greeks had no idea about polar bears. The fact they live there is a coincidence.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
whats the legality or lawfulness of bears moving from Bear Circle to Not Bear Circle?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I think Not Bear Circle has some pretty strict customs and quarantine regulations

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

It is a coincidence that there is a unique sub-species of bear that happens to live in a completely different environment to the one the greeks or romans saw their bears in, yes.

And it is also a coincidence (notwithstanding the real geographic barriers) that the almost identical environment at the opposite end of the earth does not have those same animals, while also having a name which literally translates to "those animals aren't here".

Greeks had no idea about polar bears. The fact they live there is a coincidence.

They didn't know about polar bears, but they did know about bears, who have a mostly northern distribution. Hence why bear in Greek also has connotations of north, hence the constellation found in the north, hence the geographic area.

It is a coincidence that there is a specific species of bear that is mostly confined to the Arctic circle, but not that there are bears there at all. Brown bears, the ones named arctos, are most commonly found in the Northern latitudes, including near the Arctic.

I don't think the Greeks knew of any southern hemisphere bears, maybe through stories through the silk road, but not first hand.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

whats the legality or lawfulness of bears moving from Bear Circle to Not Bear Circle?

I appreciate this callback

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Quick, there’s not much time to make sure bear is the biggest in the word cloud for the month!

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Coward posted:

Quick, there’s not much time to make sure bear is the biggest in the word cloud for the month!

Public bear transport

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

This is becoming un bear able.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Word cloud

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I have the most specific pet peeve with Jacinta Allan which is that she was transport minister for a long time while I was a postgrad student, and Vic is the only state in Aus that forces postgrads to pay full fee public transport rates even if they're full time students

Yeah, you can still get the concession if you have a health care card, but it's not a high threshold to get kicked off that, and you can also be in a frustrating position if your income varies throughout the year (eg taking on more shifts during the uni holidays) of continuously being kicked off and having to reapply for a health care card

Lmao ivory tower soysipper detected

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Coward posted:

everyones aware
about the bear
B b b b bear bear bear
bears aware

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Coward posted:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Recoome posted:

Lmao ivory tower soysipper detected

Pot calling the kettle white

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

This is becoming un bear able.

oh stop being grizzly

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Captain Theron posted:

They didn't know about polar bears, but they did know about bears, who have a mostly northern distribution. Hence why bear in Greek also has connotations of north, hence the constellation found in the north, hence the geographic area.

It is a coincidence that there is a specific species of bear that is mostly confined to the Arctic circle, but not that there are bears there at all. Brown bears, the ones named arctos, are most commonly found in the Northern latitudes, including near the Arctic.

I don't think the Greeks knew of any southern hemisphere bears, maybe through stories through the silk road, but not first hand.

Cool, so as long as we're clear the etymology comes from the constellation, not the animal.

And the constellation got its name independently of the bears that happen to inhabit the area that "arctic" now refers to.

Now where's a fucken mod to come and question the relevance of this to Auspol

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I wonder why they did this, since my gut feeling is that undergrads are mostly 18-22 and more likely to still be living at home with parents and not being financially on the brink, whereas postgrads are more likely to be mid to late 20s and no longer at "home"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Now where's a fucken mod to come and question the relevance of this to Auspol

Australian Not Bear Territory

now its relevant. also full of delicious delicious whales.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Wish the referendum was sooner... not sure I can bear the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Kill ur sine