Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

maybealabia posted:

Euggggh why does he draw his daughter with separate teeth in that art style

Just trying to shame her for not wearing her braces enough as a teen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Elsewhere: Compare and contrast.

Also, video on discs? It'll never catch on.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i am not reading the cursed novel. why did it fall apart and what nonsense happened

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

This is from page one and I'm already regretting my life choices.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 24, 2001)

Rae The Doe

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Mister Olympus posted:

i am not reading the cursed novel. why did it fall apart and what nonsense happened
I skimmed 90% of it but tl;dr:
-Our "heroes" take a lyft to the camper van. The driver dispenses vague advice about couples working as a team or something.
-The next chapter opens with the displeasing sight of Gunther standing in a shower, waiting for Bets to fetch more quarters to turn the water back on. Excitement everywhere in this book.
-Their first night camping, Bets is scared by some of the campsite neighbors "getting rowdy", which as far as the text says, is them yelling and cussing. So Gunther and Bets haul rear end out of the campsite, terrified by the growing crowd of people staring at the weirdos hauling rear end out of a campsite in the middle of the night.
-
-They realize that the rowdy people at the campground were wearing a sports jersey like the one on the women's world cup game playing, and go back to camping in shame. Their snapgram fans have mixed reactions. Gunthre is glad his mommy doesn't follow their social media, and his tummy hurts so he takes a tums.
-There's friction over Bets having more freeform planning and also caring about social media, and Gunther wanting to Stick to the Plan and not approving of getting sponsored by some campsite chain(at the cost of having to stay at their campsites!!) Much later, they have a Talk about their relationship, where Bets proposes dropping out of college to do #vanlife and social media all the time. Gunther whines about his commitments(?) and proposes a compromise of taking another trip next summer.
-They go to Chilifest and eat a bunch of chili. Their drive back is interrupted by wildfires! But not in any remotely exciting way, they just find out a route ahead is blocked off by them and they have to go a different way. :geno:
-
-Bets wants Gunther to teach her how to drive stick shift. Later, the fans suggest a shortcut home and Bets takes it. The van finally decides it's had enough of hauling around these two fuckwits, and starts falling apart on them. Eventually it comes out that Bets wanted to drive to meet vans for a vote drive for whatever the gently caress the Summer Sizzle is. Gunther is Extremely Displeased. He yells at Bets that it's time to grow up and starts packing supplies into his backpack. They dramatically break a mug they made for the trip, and DO YOU GET IT THEY'RE SPLITTING UP.
-Gunther is walking down the road alone, and finally gets phone signal back, helpfully informing us that his alert sound is a lightsaber swoosh. He has a bunch of voice mails from Bets who's getting the van fixed and freaking out that they now have an actual sponsorship deal for real and Gunther just

-He takes a lyft home and gets there in time for dinner with his mom.

If that sounds really stupid to you, bear in mind I'm skipping over stuff and also everything is phrased really awkwardly. ("Do you have the lyft app?" said the social media obsessed college student) Team Evans really outdid themselves here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Another UNTRANSLATABLE FINGERPORI

This is another joke based on a word having multiple meanings. The word "luku" in Finnish means both chapter, and decade or century, both probably deriving from the original mathematical meaning of "numbers" or "group of numbers" (as in "natural numbers" etc). The word also has many other meanings, but these are the ones we care about for this joke.

And when someone says "kaikki 50 lukua" it can either mean "all 50 chapters" or "all (of the/set in the) 1950s", although in the latter case it SHOULD be written as "kaikki 50-lukua".

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Did Gunther break up with Bets through text? God, he's so pathetic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Hm, not sure fleshy pink was the right colour for that one, Holbrook.

Anyways, get hosed, Gunth.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

amigolupus posted:

Did Gunther break up with Bets through text? God, he's so pathetic.

We've known he's pathetic for ages, though. This is not new information.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 21, 1959)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

How loving long did those vows take

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol his commitments to being a momma’s boy and living in the shed behind her house

E: lmao I just remembered this whole thing was his mom’s idea to get her loser rear end son out of the house

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
My experiments with scanning Gasoline Alley has led to better quality scanning of Krazy Kat. I'm quite happy with how these came out.

Krazy Kat(January 6, 1918)

$82 in 1918 is $1,667.29 today.

Little Nemo(June 2, 1907)

:chloe:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

garfield hentai posted:

There's already plenty to dislike about neoNancy but having an anime OwO face on an early 20th century American comic character is jarring as all hell
What are you talking about? :confused:

JethroMcB posted:

Every modern "dramatic" comic in this thread sucks complete rear end but Mary Worth is the worst, because it only has two modes:
1) Absolutely nothing of consequence is happening (See: The old couple getting married and then just wallowing in "Isn't it great that these two got together?" while completely abandoning the dog fighting nightmare story for the last two or three weeks)
2) It's quickly established that something is going to happen, but the reveal is stretched across the course of a week (Beef Moustache has a big secret!) then the entire thing is rehashed on Sunday, and then the next week of the strip is repetition of the reveal.
The "nothing is happening" bits (mode 1) aren't great, but I love the long, drawn-out build-ups to really build the anticipation. It doesn't always pay off, but sometimes Mary has all her neighbours get together to menace a stalker who then drives his car off a cliff, or Wilbur falls off a cruise ship and decides not to tell anyone he's alive until he shows up back home, days later, leaving everyone to assume he's dead. :allears:

Are these reruns or is Peirce actually doing a series of comics about Wordle now?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

The Demons were losing their edge a bit from all the constant success. Now they can be powered by hate again! It's a win for everyone!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Tiggum posted:

What are you talking about? :confused:

Bad and wrong opinions.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/26/03

Brenda Starr 10/7/51

Still got the pre-revolutionary Chinese flag.

Smokey Stover 1/13/57

Everyday Movies 10/22/36

"If I could persuade the second floor front to switch rooms with the first floor rear, that would make the one floor all Democrats and the other floor all Republicans and keep peace until after the election."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/5/42

Bonus Ad! A couple of funny things about this promotion I found when reading up on it:

- The certificates are now worthless because Quaker Oats lost their right to the land when they failed to pay 40 bucks in back taxes. The Quaker folks still regularly get questions about the certificates, 50+ years later, when someone finds one in Grandpa's files or whatever.
- The land, allegedly in the wild, remote Yukon gold fields, is now part of a golf course.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 27, 2023

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

That last panel out of context sure is something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I thought the luann thing would be comics why the gently caress is it just a little novel

I guess i'm an idiot for expecting luann to be a comic

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I skimmed 90% of it but tl;dr:

Because I can't stop myself from touching the stove, it simultaneously manages to intensify everything I hate about Bets and Gunther while also somehow deviating from their established characters throughout.

Edit: I hate them both and I wish that the last chapter of this was Gunther's bones bleaching on the side of the road. The most fantastical thing about this adventure is that their phone batteries lasted as long as they did while constantly on social media and GPS.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 27, 2023

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

It's the text that's the worst part. Gunther's right to get out when the alternative is van life influencer.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Wow the text in that book is horribly writen :lmao:

Dunkin' on Sputter

Just developing film in the kitchen

Pluggers

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 10/7/51

Our villain for this arc is...going to make them do their jobs!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure this was around the time that Schulz got caught having an affair and was forced by his wife to end the relationship.

:stare: I wasn't aware of this bit of Peanuts lore...

e: Reading Wikipedia, it isn't quite as serious as it seems. Schulz divorced his first wife, Joyce, and married Jean, whom he stayed with until his death in 2000.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 27, 2023

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kammat posted:

Those were quick phone photos, but yeah she's definitely a good bit lighter in that drawing.

I've given it a quick read and I'll just give a summary of gently caress YOU GUNTHER
Oh come now, we all know that Gunther and loving are proudly mutually exclusive.

readingatwork posted:

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jul 14-17, 1970)
Fun fact: I'm pretty sure this was around the time that Schulz got caught having an affair and was forced by his wife to end the relationship.
Now THERE'S something you don't hear as much about when it comes to Peanuts. How the hell did his wife react when she opened up the paper and saw this particular week of strips? Or did she see them beforehand and was like 'sure, go ahead, do it.'

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol his commitments to being a momma’s boy and living in the shed behind her house

E: lmao I just remembered this whole thing was his mom’s idea to get her loser rear end son out of the house

Even better, going on a fun road trip in a van was an old dream of Gunther's mom and biological dad. She wanted him to experience something the two of them never got to and Gunther just decided he's better off living back in her basement.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

Even better, going on a fun road trip in a van was an old dream of Gunther's mom and biological dad. She wanted him to experience something the two of them never got to and Gunther just decided he's better off living back in her basement.

Guest house with Les.

Les should swirlie Gunty.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Shugojin posted:

I thought the luann thing would be comics why the gently caress is it just a little novel

I guess i'm an idiot for expecting luann to be a comic

Because the writers have crawled so far up their own asses they've found daylight again.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Thanks for the summaries, you're heroes. :911:

Relationship Pro Moves: deliver an ultimatum about your partners life passions vs satisfying you, especially when they're in a prime position of youth and extrovert super energy to immediately meet somebody who actually respects them.

If Gunther wants a homebody to grow old with him and die in his hometown, maybe literally his mother's garden and then house, he should at least make that clear after the first few dates.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NGL this Mary Worth story line is giving me anxiety in the same way that Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge does. Just leave the guy alone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I guess I'm going to be the lone voice in the woods that's (at least sort of) on Gunther's side. Sure, I enjoy open-ended free-spirited adventure... but I'm also mildly autistic, and so living like that for too long gets loving stressful. A few years ago my girlfriend and I got stuck on the other side of the country for several days due to bad luck with flying standby, and by the end of that I was a frazzled ball of anxiety and the only thing I wanted in the universe was to be home. That was after only about a week; Bets and Gunther have been doing vanlife all summer. And (judging by the over-organization and the schedule obsession and the Star Trek quilt) Gun is probably autistic too, and I can see how living like this would be fun at first but then gradually start destroying him. Also, what Bets is asking for at the end isn't reasonable -- she literally wants him to drop out of college on the spur of the moment, the day before classes start, to indefinitely continue living the most stressful way he can imagine. That's a little bigger than asking him to reschedule dinner with his mom.

Note that I'm not 100% (:haw:) on Gunther's side -- he's being a complete stick-in-the-mud and a mama's boy and generally no fun at all. But I do get where he's coming from.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

That guy's got a neck like a giraffe!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the problem (well, one problem out of an infinite number) is that there was no good reason for either bets or gunther to ever like each other in the first place

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kidcoelacanth posted:

the problem (well, one problem out of an infinite number) is that there was no good reason for either bets or gunther to ever like each other in the first place

This is the bigger thing. From all I've seen of Gunther I can't help but think "what's wrong with him" is a question with a genuine answer, he seems to have some level of anxiety, and his current miseries do garner some sympathy from me. But then how'd he get in that situation to begin with? Between the number of contrivances needed to engineer things and the comics disinterest in exploring any of it beyond the broadest "this happened and then this happened," it all feels aimless.

It feels kind of like Dustin in a sense, where a character clearly has a problem but the comic mistakes it as just a quirk. Dustin has punchlines, though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

You mean Manic Pixie Dream Girls aren't naturally attracted to twitchy, introverted mama's boys?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

"I can fix him!" isn't just for bad boys

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

This is the bigger thing. From all I've seen of Gunther I can't help but think "what's wrong with him" is a question with a genuine answer, he seems to have some level of anxiety, and his current miseries do garner some sympathy from me. But then how'd he get in that situation to begin with? Between the number of contrivances needed to engineer things and the comics disinterest in exploring any of it beyond the broadest "this happened and then this happened," it all feels aimless.

It feels kind of like Dustin in a sense, where a character clearly has a problem but the comic mistakes it as just a quirk. Dustin has punchlines, though.

what's wrong with gunther is that no one's pushed him off an overpass yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

what's wrong with gunther is that no one's pushed him off an overpass yet

if this seems cruel to you please understand that i feel this way about every character in luann