Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wrong thread. This owns and I would have one.

first to ten etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/WiltsSpecOps/status/1706293492085842119?t=03dPKPghz76j0i_OybCtxg&s=19

https://twitter.com/WiltsSpecOps/status/1706310386427760804?t=Cy8DJZZhoWscC3d965-74Q&s=19

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lmao

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

For the V10 TDI - yes. For the 3.0 TDI, no. I don't think it was a cab off affair for the V8 TDI either.

And you don't remove the cab, you drop the engine. But to be fair, you have to do that for ANY of the accessories. I think you can replace the alternator without dropping the engine, but its in the middle of the valley.

Totally terrible car poo poo.

If I were asked to swap an alternator and I saw that, I'd kill everyone within arm's reach and then myself.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

CommieGIR posted:

For the V10 TDI - yes. For the 3.0 TDI, no. I don't think it was a cab off affair for the V8 TDI either.

And you don't remove the cab, you drop the engine. But to be fair, you have to do that for ANY of the accessories. I think you can replace the alternator without dropping the engine, but its in the middle of the valley.

VW EA888 engineer: “So we made the water pump out of really cheap plastic, hid it deep under the intake manifold, and drove it with a tiny belt off the rear of one of the balance shafts which can’t be removed without a very specific tool.”

VW V10 TDI engineer: “Pfft. Hold my beer.”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:laffo:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Catastrophe posted:

My god, there is so much doodie... so much. There's an avalanche of badness in this thread. Please allow me a pass on a palate cleanser with something beautiful

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It’s a day late but can I get a 911 sixxer for my birthday?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ether Frenzy posted:

So do all 6-wheel vehicles go in this thread or is it a case by case basis

https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/status/1703642589700952115

Such a wrong thread.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wrong thread. At least this has a chance to be a 4x6

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enos Cabell posted:

I mean, back at ya. You're the one trying to claim an insane point here.

We are not the general public here. We are car nerds. What we think isn't what they think.
See the washing machine analogy article.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wasn't the Touareg the one that had a turbodiesel where replacing the turbo was a cab-off job? I remember seeing one for sale locally last year that had been modified for offroad and seeing that it "just had some turbo blowby" and laughing that they were still asking like 15k for that.

CommieGIR posted:

I hate everything about that.

Bass Ackwards posted:

VW EA888 engineer: “So we made the water pump out of really cheap plastic, hid it deep under the intake manifold, and drove it with a tiny belt off the rear of one of the balance shafts which can’t be removed without a very specific tool.”

VW V10 TDI engineer: “Pfft. Hold my beer.”

:hmmyes:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I don't grant your "not known for being sporty" premise, that's just wild, but literally anything "nice" is an old man car, sure, because they're the only people with any money.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a34730461/income-inequality-is-killing-sports-cars/

Never thought of it that way, but this nails it.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Ether Frenzy posted:

right thread - passenger compartment is uncannily disproportional with a poo poo color and last but not least lol jag

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
[quote="Olympic Mathlete"
https://twitter.com/WiltsSpecOps/status/1706310386427760804?t=Cy8DJZZhoWscC3d965-74Q&s=19
[/quote]
:discourse:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

my broke brain says this should be in the awesome thread but i know the lot of you will most certainly disagree

the 80s caddy brainworms in my head see a magnificent luxury automobile when to every other beholder it is a tired old bustleback seville but bless his heart for still rolling it in tyool 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There is literally no way that generation Seville or anything with an HT4100 can ever be awesome.

edit: OK, if it's still running, that's a little bit of a miracle.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

coupedeville posted:

my broke brain says this should be in the awesome thread but i know the lot of you will most certainly disagree

the 80s caddy brainworms in my head see a magnificent luxury automobile when to every other beholder it is a tired old bustleback seville but bless his heart for still rolling it in tyool 2023

With those wheels the owner is half way to having a super unique donk and I'm here for it

I'm gonna say wrong thread

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I don't grant your "not known for being sporty" premise, that's just wild, but literally anything "nice" is an old man car, sure, because they're the only people with any money.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a34730461/income-inequality-is-killing-sports-cars/

This is a pretty great article tbh. Plainly spells out major economic issues and wider ranging impacts on an entire generation and does so by using proportions of income to different expenses. Also notes male / female income disparities and student debt pressures new to recent generations.

Also lmao since it was written the avg home price has gone up another $91,000.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Darchangel posted:

There is literally no way that generation Seville or anything with an HT4100 can ever be awesome.

it does have current registration on the handicap plate, yes

The Door Frame posted:

With those wheels the owner is half way to having a super unique donk and I'm here for it

agreed on all counts but however it goes I'd love an ht4100 sixxer because my brain is fundamentally broken

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Catastrophe posted:

My god, there is so much doodie... so much. There's an avalanche of badness in this thread. Please allow me a pass on a palate cleanser with something beautiful

Did a lot of driving yesterday, and saw a late 70s/early 80s 911sc out in the wild. It was noticed and it was beautiful.
I'm sure I passed by a dozen Cayennes as well. Didn't notice a single one. If one views cars as status objects, then Porsches will be identified as Cayennes. If one views cars as beautiful objects that one engages with in a symphony of human and mechanical interaction, then Porsches will be identified as 911s/their successors.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just can't get past the look of bustlebacks. They look like a pooping dog.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah it's sat firmly in the middle at the moment like pick a loving lane. If it was donked out it would be fully awesome.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Impound them all with a massive gently caress off fine, if they do it again, crush them

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Impound them all with a massive gently caress off fine, if they do it again, crush them
agreed but give away the cars after you're done with the drivers

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

kastein posted:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah it's sat firmly in the middle at the moment like pick a loving lane. If it was donked out it would be fully awesome.

something about em makes me feel funny in my pants

spotted this poor abandoned beast in an open-air storage yard and i lamented its miserable condition

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Darchangel posted:

Good thing there were other engine options, they couldn’t possibly be worse.

Olds 350 diesel

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Laziest parking job Ive seen ina a while

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

coupedeville posted:

something about em makes me feel funny in my pants

spotted this poor abandoned beast in an open-air storage yard and i lamented its miserable condition

So, like crabs, or gonorrhea?

Fornax Disaster posted:

Good thing there were other engine options, they couldn’t possibly be worse.

Olds 350 diesel

Yikes.
At least the previous generation (RWD stretched X-body [Nova]) had a real Olds 350 V8, with EFI, even!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Terrible shitbird has terrible opinion. News at 11.

https://twitter.com/theRealTavarish/status/1706747683002605720?t=h3BvZgzNBANh_stSC6XsBw&s=19

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what kind of "press drive" is allowed to go 100 mph on an open public road, pray tell?

kastein posted:

i agree. i think they're ugly as poo poo. like i think the rear end is bad enough on its own, but its forms and angles are different from the front end that it ends up looking like one of those hackjobs where they weld two crashed cars into one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

coupedeville posted:

It looks like they're specifically going for the hot wheels look.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So wait the bunch of McLarens wasn't a bunch of rich assholes, it was a press event?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So wait the bunch of McLarens wasn't a bunch of rich assholes, it was a press event?

The two closest plates end in MCL and the next one MTC (McLaren Technology Centre?) so maybe, but even then that doesn't excuse the alleged behaviour does it?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Isn't that the same thing in the UK? Their journos are mostly upper class wankers I thought.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The two closest plates end in MCL and the next one MTC (McLaren Technology Centre?) so maybe, but even then that doesn't excuse the alleged behaviour does it?

Oh hell no that's no excuse it makes it worse. The press scribblers get track time so being dickheads on a open road is inexcusable

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
When you have a nice car with some power, it's every man's god-given right to occasionally take it out on a rural highway or back road and let it stretch its legs. As long as you don't cause a crash the Five O should look the other way.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Darchangel posted:

So, like crabs, or gonorrhea?

Yikes.
At least the previous generation (RWD stretched X-body [Nova]) had a real Olds 350 V8, with EFI, even!

I got thinking, since Olds big blocks and small blocks are usually pretty interchangeable, has anyone ever replaced the 350 diesel in one of those with a gas 455. I couldn’t find a Seville but I did find an 80 Eldorado that had that done.

From a thread on Classic Oldsmobile, owner was told the swap was done by a dealer in the 80s, block is from 68.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/general-discussion-33/bought-cadillac-olds-455-a-130725/

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

BuckyDoneGun posted:

They are going to get so many angry boomer letters about this.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Number_6 posted:

When you have a nice car with some power, it's every man's god-given right to occasionally take it out on a rural highway or back road and let it stretch its legs. As long as you don't cause a crash the Five O should look the other way.

Safely. With caution. At 0200. One run and done. On roads you know. Maybe.

If a McLaren crashes in the woods, and there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jonny Nox posted:

ok, what the hell? This video is from this today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_tFb2ohx4

Literally never heard about this car before, now everyone is talking about it.

I had to dig up this old classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWI_jc4agYs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ether Frenzy posted:

:golfclap: My 20+ year old username is a HST reference, I couldn't get "Ether Binge" when I was making a username at the start of the Xbox Live era.

What does ether have to do with the Hubble Space Telescope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I had to dig up this old classic.

Yeah, it turns out I've seen the car a ton of times, and it never registered other than "Cute Tiny Eurocar" like all the other cute tiny eurocars.