Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for driving away without my wife because she can't plan?

quote:

For the past week, my wife and I had been anticipating a baseball game for which we had purchased tickets. We like baseball, but we don't attend many games, so traveling into the city to see games is a rare treat. I know, though, that it would take time to drive there and find parking, due to traffic. Because the game started at 7 PM, and we live about 45 minutes from the stadium, I told her this morning that she needed to be ready to get in the car and go by 6 PM.

Well, my wife is an avid gamer, so she was engrossed in her latest video game when the clock struck 5:45 PM. She has struggled to plan in the past, and I get tired of reminding her that she needs to budget time to get ready. It's as if she has no concept of time at all, similar to a young child. Well, I was ready to go by 6 PM, and she was in the bathroom. I saw this as an opportunity to teach her personal responsibility, so I simply left the house without saying a word, got in the car, and started driving to the game.

It took my wife a few minutes to figure out what I had done, but when she called me, she was absolutely furious. She said that it was a completely unacceptable move for me to leave without telling her and that she now had no way to get to the game without paying for parking. I told her that I got tired of constantly waiting for her and that she would plan better next time if she didn't want to get left behind. I also reminded her that I had told her that morning when I expected her to be ready to leave. Absolutely none of this seemed to matter, though, and she rudely hung up on me after yelling out more insults.

Frankly, I think it's completely insane that a grown woman is unable to budget her time, and I'm starting to suspect that she is doing this on purpose because she's a narcissist who expects me to accommodate her. After all, she's not a dumb woman. She has a science degree. Well, she never showed up to the stadium, and I didn't hear from her the whole game, but when I got home, there was a note on the door. She told me that I wasn't welcome in the bedroom and that I should sleep on the couch. I can't believe she wants to be this much of a pill. If I had waited for her, I would have missed the first pitch. I made my expectations clear, and she couldn't be bothered to meet them. I feel like she should be apologizing to me. AITA?

hope the beginning of that game was the best ten minutes of baseball you ever saw, 'cuz you just torpedoed your marriage for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I hope they still meet the occasional farmer's daughter (or son).

FarmDauCon 2023 in Singapore was wild

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

hope the beginning of that game was the best ten minutes of baseball you ever saw, 'cuz you just torpedoed your marriage for it

As someone that’s spent years living with a best friend that used to have zero ability to perceive the passage of time or how long it would take him to get ready (he’s gotten better over time, thankfully), the only rear end in a top hat move here was leaving without at least knocking on the bathroom door.

If you’re constantly making other people late to things because you can’t plan for poo poo, don’t be shocked when they decide to stop being late because of you!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The first question I ask is "are you late for things that she organises?".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

As someone that’s spent years living with a best friend that used to have zero ability to perceive the passage of time or how long it would take him to get ready (he’s gotten better over time, thankfully), the only rear end in a top hat move here was leaving without at least knocking on the bathroom door.

If you’re constantly making other people late to things because you can’t plan for poo poo, don’t be shocked when they decide to stop being late because of you!

My friend's dad will show up hours late for stuff and it's so bizarre to me. When other people are involved is the only time I can actually be punctual. My friend's just learned to deal with it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

When people at the social function you’re going to are literally making bets on how late you’ll be, you are officially That rear end in a top hat

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for telling a bounty hunter where to find my brother when he apparently lied and listed my address on his paperwork to the bail bonds company and then skipped his court date?

quote:

My (22M) brother (35M) has spent his life in and out of jail. He was arrested again a couple months ago for god knows what. He posted bail through a bondsman and was released.

Long story short, I just happend to be sitting in my dinning room eating dinner, when there's a knock on the door. I open it and it's a man wearing a bullet proof vest . He looks confusingly at a piece of paper, and asks, " is ____ here right now". I told him that ___ is my brother and he dosent live here, the man then proceedes to tell me that my brother missed court and the bondsman is out for $25,000, and they're looking for him. He asked if I knew where to find him

I gave the man an address for a friends house that my brother goes to 90% of the time for parties, drugs, etc.

Well they caught him there and now his bail has been revoked and he's back in jail. No bail bonds company will lend to him now and no other friends or family can afford to give him the money. I'm sure as hell not giving him anything after the stunt he pulled. He'll just have to stay in jail untill his trial now.

My mom, aunt, sister, and grandma have all been blowing up my phone the past few days with messages on facebook about how much of a "terrible person" I am for "getting my poor brother in trouble".

I'm starting to feel a little guilty now, but I don't appreciate him possibly getting me arrested or worse by lying and using my address.

AITA?

The title was really all I needed, but nice to have some context.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for telling a bounty hunter where to find my brother when he apparently lied and listed my address on his paperwork to the bail bonds company and then skipped his court date?

The aunts whinging about "You got your poor brother in trouble"

gently caress that. OP did literally nothing wrong.

He even technically didn't snitch. just said "This is not his house. He's not here. He sometimes goes to X address. Please fix your records please." If the brother had chosen anywhere else, he would still be free.

I would bet the aunts are hearing a sob story about how the brother is an innocent victim, and OP set everything up. As opposed to the brother being a lying bail jumping arsehole, and OP just saying "He is not at my house, try somewhere else."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

It's not just the baseball game though, is it?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Someone willing to name their child gaylord in the 21st century

I'm distantly related to a (long dead) Gay Kreamer.

If my daughter complains about being named after one of her great aunts when she gets older I'll be sure to point out how much worse it could have been.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I gotta ask: outside of reddit posts, I have never once encountered or even heard of a bunch of people all piling on and "blowing up someone's phone" over poo poo that they're not directly involved in. Is this just something that reddit posters make up to add drama or justify their validation seeking, or is this really a common group/family dynamic in the US? Because it seems loving insane to me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Little Gaylord will either grow into the name and become lord of the gays indeed or grow up straight, hate his mom, and then get sued for false advertising

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do traveling salesmen, even on a business-to-business level, still exist?

Sort of. Most account managers are responsible for a region, and they'll try to touch base with customers in person once or twice a year. There are probably fewer sales people doing 80%+ of their time traveling like pre-pandemic, but it's creeping back up from what I've seen.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't talk to police applies and then some to some random dude showing up at your door and demanding answers. The courteous thing for the brother would have been to give OP a heads up, but the family is right to get on him for not telling this person to gently caress off. Who gives out details to strangers like that?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 27, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, the only questionable part is him not telling her he was leaving now, and quite honestly from the rest of the story she wouldn't have listened anyway and made them late again, or if he'd actually left it would now be "How could you leave after explicitly telling me you were going to? You should have reminded me earlier!".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If she called him angry a "few minutes later" than she was ready at like 6:05 instead of 6. They wouldn't be missing anything. This idiot just said "It's 6 I'm sick of this poo poo" when they wouldn't have even been late. Went off and pouted in silence while his wife was in the goddamn bathroom without even asking if she was nearly ready.

The vibe I get from his tone and behavior is that they constantly get to the movies and miss the Maria Menounoz commercials but not even the trailers, and he felt the need to "teach a lesson"

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for telling a coworker that I have no interest in forming friendships with colleagues?

In the comments:

I live in Germany and actually this is the traditional culture here - coworkers are coworkers, neighbors are neighbors, friends are friends, they segregate everything. For example, traditionally coworkers would address each other with the formal You. Things are changing (for the better) and anyway it was not necessarily that rigid. This guy is an extreme example of this mentality.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If she called him angry a "few minutes later" than she was ready at like 6:05 instead of 6. They wouldn't be missing anything. This idiot just said "It's 6 I'm sick of this poo poo" when they wouldn't have even been late. Went off and pouted in silence while his wife was in the goddamn bathroom without even asking if she was nearly ready.

The vibe I get from his tone and behavior is that they constantly get to the movies and miss the Maria Menounoz commercials but not even the trailers, and he felt the need to "teach a lesson"

Yeah, that he doesn't actually go into any examples of her supposed tardiness strikes me more as him being a 'hurry up and wait' type as well as seething contempt for her having a life outside of him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

edogawa rando posted:

That's literally in the reddit post. OP is very specific that this is a pattern of behavior.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Don't talk to police applies and then some to some random dude showing up at your door and demanding answers. The courteous thing for the brother would have been to give OP a heads up, but the family is right to get on him for not telling this person to gently caress off. Who gives out details to strangers like that?

Lol,no. OP's brother is the one who sent the bounty hunter to OP's doors. He doesn't deserve any courtesy after that

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Capilarean posted:

Lol,no. OP's brother is the one who sent the bounty hunter to OP's doors. He doesn't deserve any courtesy after that

It's this. If you arrange for a bounty hunter to show up at someone's house you don't get to be mad or claim to be a victim when they point the bounty hunter to the correct address.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 27, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fugitive is mad the bounty-hunter didn't shrug "good enough" and take his brother.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

8one6 posted:

It's this. If you arrange for a bounty hunter to show up at someone's house you don't get to be mad or claim to be a victim when they point the bounty hunter to the correct address.

Like when they show up all greased up in linen pajamas and their dick slips out? Yeah you can't really call victim on that poo poo. :thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A bounty hunter has approximately zero authority and there’s never any reason to talk to one except to ask them to remove themselves from your property.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A bounty hunter has approximately zero authority and there’s never any reason to talk to one except to ask them to remove themselves from your property.

Have you considered that the brother had like bad vibes should be put away behind bars?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you skip bail and go straight back to your usual hangouts instead of actually doing a runner then you're a huge moron

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mllaneza posted:

That's literally in the reddit post. OP is very specific that this is a pattern of behavior.

That's kind of the point isn't it? Saying "I hope the baseball game was worth it, OP!" is quite disingenuous, and clearly misses the point being made by the guy who posted the story.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Jabor posted:

if you skip bail and go straight back to your usual hangouts instead of actually doing a runner then you're a huge moron

We don't know if he skipped bail, he just didn't pay back the bondsman

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Sekenr posted:

We do know - says right there that the brother didn't show up to court.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sekenr posted:

Title of post:
text:

quote:

my brother missed court and the bondsman is out for $25,000,

quote:

his bail has been revoked
Well maybe he *DIDN'T* skip bail and there's some other kind of skipping the court case that causes your bond to be revoked!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Issaries posted:

Have you considered that the brother had like bad vibes should be put away behind bars?

The court could have been wrong but it already ruled he didn’t need to be put away yet, he just couldn’t afford not to be, thus the bail bond.

It would have been equally understandable if the OP chose not to reveal the location and just said “he’s not here, this isn’t his house, you need to leave”

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that he doesn't actually go into any examples of her supposed tardiness strikes me more as him being a 'hurry up and wait' type as well as seething contempt for her having a life outside of him.

Bold move siding with the "avid gamer" with poor time management skills. But I repeat myself.

I half joke, but like regularly being late without reason is kinda disrespectful. What you're effectively saying is that your time is worth more than the people's you're inconveniencing. It's an incredibly short-sighted move to do what that reddiot did but I do understand the frustration.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Badly Jester posted:

I gotta ask: outside of reddit posts, I have never once encountered or even heard of a bunch of people all piling on and "blowing up someone's phone" over poo poo that they're not directly involved in. Is this just something that reddit posters make up to add drama or justify their validation seeking, or is this really a common group/family dynamic in the US? Because it seems loving insane to me.

This has never happened to me, but I could plausibly see it happening to my boomer cousins who a) use Facebook and b) let Facebook send notifications to their phone. All it takes is one disgruntled person posting a "it is such a shame how family will stab you in the back" message with the right tags. Next thing you know, all the aunties are posting about how that IS a shame, kids these days just don't have values, why would you stab someone that's just rude, etc.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Charles Leclerc posted:

Bold move siding with the "avid gamer" with poor time management skills. But I repeat myself.

I half joke, but like regularly being late without reason is kinda disrespectful. What you're effectively saying is that your time is worth more than the people's you're inconveniencing. It's an incredibly short-sighted move to do what that reddiot did but I do understand the frustration.

I'd say it's an ESH. Wife is definitely rear end in a top hat for always being late. Husband is an rear end in a top hat for not saying anything, like "It's 6 now, we need to leave, I am leaving in exactly 5 minutes with or without you"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

therattle posted:

I'd say it's an ESH. Wife is definitely rear end in a top hat for always being late. Husband is an rear end in a top hat for not saying anything, like "It's 6 now, we need to leave, I am leaving in exactly 5 minutes with or without you"

Yep, lacking any meaningful context it seems like he's been stewing on it and never adequately communicated how annoying it is to him and just escalated to the nuclear option.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The brother probably signed paperwork giving both the bounty hunter and actual police the right to search his home for him if he has his bail revoked. And a lot of states give bounty hunters broad powers including the right to enter property they think a fugitive is on without a warrant. His brother set him up for a shitload of trouble by using his address.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sorry Not sorry you got caught after trying to send the bounty hunter after your brother.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for taking potatoes off a guy's plate at a wedding?

quote:

I just got back from my friend's wedding in Mexico. It was at a fancy all inclusive. Everyone mostly did their own thing with only a few group events planned, other than the wedding and reception obviously.

One of the group activities was dinner out at on of the restaurants that required a reservation. It was beautiful and the service was fantastic.

One hiccup. The best man did not want potatoes. He wasn't allergic, potatoes did not take out his parents in a dark alley, and he hasn't sworn to avenge them. As far as I know anyways.

I speak spanish and after he asked me I asked the waiter to please not serve him potatoes. Well you know where this is going.

He was maliciously served potatoes. And he would not shut up about it. He pointed out to everyone at our table that he had been served a starchy tuber against his will. Other tables were watching him and listening to him getting upset about the potatoes.

He ate the rest of his meal but would not drop the potatoes. I couldn't take it any more. I reached over and grabbed the potatoes with my hand and put them on my plate. And then I ate them. He just sat there stunned. Then he got up and went to his suite.

He avoided me the rest of the time there but he made sure to tell everyone what an rear end in a top hat I was and how unladylike my behavior was.

I just wanted him to STFU about the potatoes.

My friend wants me to apologize for causing drama.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Should’ve grabbed the potatoes and slowly crushed them with one hand while maintaining eye contact, juice dripping from between your clenched fingers.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

thats small potatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He missed a chance to really up the drama by yelling “Don’t fingerling my potatoes!”