Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

DesperateDan posted:

I thought I was a purestrain car luddite then I got a bunch of really cool features on my new car and I sold out harder and faster than I could have imagined

No regrets, goddamn modern cars are amazing

There are posts talking which features they want and which are unnecessary. These opinions are only valid concerning a feature you have gotten used to and have since given up, otherwise you just don't know what you are missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I still don't like traction control, but I've learned to live with it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

It's relevant to and much safer for 99%+ of drivers and easily turned off in most things. Good traction control is surprisingly good and a very useful feature. Even if you could react as quickly as it does you wouldn't have discrete control over each wheel independently.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Saukkis posted:

There are posts talking which features they want and which are unnecessary. These opinions are only valid concerning a feature you have gotten used to and have since given up, otherwise you just don't know what you are missing.

I guess the old audi had a little flip down visor above the rear view mirror for cutting out the sun between the headliner and top of the mirror, i miss that technical wonder, that good enough?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DesperateDan posted:

I thought I was a purestrain car luddite then I got a bunch of really cool features on my new car and I sold out harder and faster than I could have imagined

No regrets, goddamn modern cars are amazing

Right up until you can't change anything or fix anything because parts are "married", integrated, etc.
Which is fine if it's reliable. Not so much when it's, you know, a normal car manufacturer car.

The Door Frame posted:

Honestly, it's saved my butt in the Crown Vic. That car gets super tail-happy in the wet, and I'm a leadfoot. It'll actually let it slide/spin a bit before reigning it in, which is appreciated. And can actually, completely, really, truthfully be turned off.

DesperateDan posted:

I guess the old audi had a little flip down visor above the rear view mirror for cutting out the sun between the headliner and top of the mirror, i miss that technical wonder, that good enough?

Nowadays they just shade that portion directly on the glass. So, no.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 25, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Right up until you can't change anything or fix anything because parts are "married", integrated, etc.
Which is fine if it's reliable. Not so much when it's, you know, a normal car manufacturer car.

Are you talking about programming? Because, compared to the cost of these cars, the scanner(s) required to diagnose and code modules are not all that expensive. Yes, it's a different skillset that needs to be learned. Some people will, some people won't. There are probably still people out there pissed about fuel injection that refuse to learn how it works.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Are you talking about programming? Because, compared to the cost of these cars, the scanner(s) required to diagnose and code modules are not all that expensive. Yes, it's a different skillset that needs to be learned. Some people will, some people won't. There are probably still people out there pissed about fuel injection that refuse to learn how it works.

Some of it, yes. Not all of those tools are available to the consumer at a reasonable price, despite, you know laws.
Poor tractor guys don't even have those laws to protect them from John Deere being complete dicks about servicing their overcomplicated garbage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Some of it, yes. Not all of those tools are available to the consumer at a reasonable price, despite, you know laws.
Poor tractor guys don't even have those laws to protect them from John Deere being complete dicks about servicing their overcomplicated garbage.

edit:
But I mean, seriously: why does a fuel pump need to be introduced to the ECU? To be fair, I think the leader in overcomplicated WTF-ery is probably BMW, and that's just expected.

edit, mark II: Quote is not edit, but I guess it kinda worked?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

What is a reasonable price? Because for $1200 you can get an Autel or Launch that does everything. You can go cheaper for single manufacturer solutions depending on the manufacturer and how you feel about chinese USB devices.

It's WAY different than tractors and equipment, where I had to pay $300 for some idiot with a laptop to code $400 joystick I had already installed on my skid steer because there was simply no legal or even gray market way I could find to buy,, lease or otherwise use Bobcat software to code a module that has no reason to be coded (since there is only one of them on the CAN bus, making it trivial to know which it is).

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I like:

ABS
CarPlay
Reversing cameras
Power windows and locks
A/C

Thank you and goodnight

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Motronic posted:

Some people will, some people won't. There are probably still people out there pissed about fuel injection that refuse to learn how it works.

Back when I was in high school my friend's dad/family were like that. This was the mid-late 90s and with some exceptions, most cars had moved their drive wheels to the "wrong" end of the car, and the fuel systems were them commie fuel injectors and for some what in tarnation reason there was now more than one camshaft in an engine and they too were in the wrong spot.
As a "car guy" family, they had a bunch of old cars but the newest one was an 89 (I think) Oldsmobile wagon, which in fairness at the time wasn't *that* old and lots of people I knew at the time, including my parents had at least one carbureted 80s piece of poo poo probably, but they definitely didn't like any of that new fangled stuff, "fuel injection doesn't work worth a poo poo because the fuel injection in 57 Corvettes was awful and unibody cars are unsafe because they just crumple in an accident and that one car from like 25-30 years ago that was unibody, well they just plum broke in half" or something like that.

I haven't seen any of them since around the turn of the century or so, but whenever I go back home to visit and am out and about around town and see an old beat rear end car from 1987 or something I always wonder if its one of them. Or maybe they've moved up slightly and now drive 1994 Caprices/ and Crown Vics, which have that lovely fuel injection, but at least they still have the right set of wheels driving them, and theres still only one camshaft to deal with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Adaptive cruise control is the best thing ever, everyone can take their screens and shove it if I can't actually turn the loving thing off, or dim the instrument cluster at all.

Actually the coolest thing about the Lucid Air:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Adaptive cruise control is the best thing ever, everyone can take their screens and shove it if I can't actually turn the loving thing off, or dim the instrument cluster at all.

Oh man, the F30 generation of BMWs at least have a screen off option, and if you have the option highlighted you can set it to a hotkey. (My E90s didn't have screens, and I really kind of miss that.) As soon as the guy showed me that, I bound it to 8, and did it to the new car when I got it. Long highway cruise, wife and kids are asleep, just turn off the screen and enjoy the drive. I don't use it much, but it's so good.

CarPlay is better than the built in BMW stuff, but the navigation with the spinny wheel is still annoying and doesn't really follow what I want. I generally still like just using a phone clipped to the dash. old.txt

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I hate adaptive cruise. I'll take normal until we're at full autonomy, thanks.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Saab night mode ftw

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

What is a reasonable price? Because for $1200 you can get an Autel or Launch that does everything. You can go cheaper for single manufacturer solutions depending on the manufacturer and how you feel about chinese USB devices.

It's WAY different than tractors and equipment, where I had to pay $300 for some idiot with a laptop to code $400 joystick I had already installed on my skid steer because there was simply no legal or even gray market way I could find to buy,, lease or otherwise use Bobcat software to code a module that has no reason to be coded (since there is only one of them on the CAN bus, making it trivial to know which it is).

Man, yeah $1200 seems like a really cheap way for poor people to repair their cars. Good call.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Back when I was in high school my friend's dad/family were like that. This was the mid-late 90s and with some exceptions, most cars had moved their drive wheels to the "wrong" end of the car, and the fuel systems were them commie fuel injectors and for some what in tarnation reason there was now more than one camshaft in an engine and they too were in the wrong spot.
As a "car guy" family, they had a bunch of old cars but the newest one was an 89 (I think) Oldsmobile wagon, which in fairness at the time wasn't *that* old and lots of people I knew at the time, including my parents had at least one carbureted 80s piece of poo poo probably, but they definitely didn't like any of that new fangled stuff, "fuel injection doesn't work worth a poo poo because the fuel injection in 57 Corvettes was awful and unibody cars are unsafe because they just crumple in an accident and that one car from like 25-30 years ago that was unibody, well they just plum broke in half" or something like that.

I haven't seen any of them since around the turn of the century or so, but whenever I go back home to visit and am out and about around town and see an old beat rear end car from 1987 or something I always wonder if its one of them. Or maybe they've moved up slightly and now drive 1994 Caprices/ and Crown Vics, which have that lovely fuel injection, but at least they still have the right set of wheels driving them, and theres still only one camshaft to deal with.

Every Crown Vic since like '98 has two cam shafts.
One per head, mind you, but still...

God dammit. Sorry I am completely failing at editing today.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

Every Crown Vic since like '98 has two cam shafts.
One per head, mind you, but still...

God dammit. Sorry I am completely failing at editing today.

Originally I'd put '96 in there, but then I was like "hmmmm I wonder when they started putting the mod motor in the CV? Better subtract 2 years just to be safe".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Man, yeah $1200 seems like a really cheap way for poor people to repair their cars. Good call.

Are tools and parts free? Tires? How much is this compared to the car? Do places that rent tools even exist? Did $15 ODB2 readers used to cost $250 in 1997?

Baffling response there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Suburban Dad posted:

I hate adaptive cruise. I'll take normal until we're at full autonomy, thanks.

Curious to what you don't like about it? I mean I'd honestly rather ride a train an hour than sit on the highway but me steering and the car doing it's adaptive cruise control is pretty chill of an experience. Out of all the new stuff that's the one I really like.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

Curious to what you don't like about it? I mean I'd honestly rather ride a train an hour than sit on the highway but me steering and the car doing it's adaptive cruise control is pretty chill of an experience. Out of all the new stuff that's the one I really like.

Most I've tried are really conservative with following distance and slow down way too much if there's an ounce of traffic. I get why but it's more annoying than doing it myself at this point. I like to keep it at one speed and driving like I do normally with adaptive on is a more jerky experience.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I mostly liked the adaptive cruise in the rental Corolla I had last month. The only annoyance was if I had it set to maintain a decent following distance it got pretty aggressive about slowing down when someone merged in front of me even if they were going faster than I was. Not having to constantly adjust set speed on the highway made up for it though.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Adaptive cruise on the work 2018 Tacoma is pretty good.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

Most I've tried are really conservative with following distance and slow down way too much if there's an ounce of traffic. I get why but it's more annoying than doing it myself at this point. I like to keep it at one speed and driving like I do normally with adaptive on is a more jerky experience.

This is correct. A few annoyances I have with it, the shortest gap is a good safe gap, and will get eaten up by aggressive drivers. That I'm actually OK with in general but it took time to get used to it.

The frog in boiling water problem, you really have to pay attention to the actual speed as the slowdown from the car in front of you can be so gradual you don't notice. With standard you can just see the car getting too close and react.

False braking. Using it along a turn will sometimes cause me to slow down as the car "in front of me" is actually in another lane.

And my own habit of using regular cruise and just softly changing lanes doesn't quite work as well. I have to get over earlier, which is safer and good, and puts me in the passing lane longer than I normally would. The car also doesn't start accelerating as soon as I would. I just push the accelerator more often now.

It's fine now, but I did have to unlearn my less safe but more efficient habits.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You have to remember that adaptive cruise (like most driver aids in cars) is set that way for the dumbest/sleepiest driver so adaptive cruise leaving distance and braking is doing so to try and prod the driver to notice. The amount of drivers on the road who don't look ahead is truly stunning so noticeably braking is a subtle 'hey dude, you might wanna stop daydreaming and potentially do something' kinda deal.

If everyone was a good driver I'm certain we could sharpen up a lot of things about cars, alas the average person on your commute doesn't want to be driving and is dumber than a bowl of mice.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm too much of a control freak about operating machinery that can kill me to even use regular cruise control. I'll drive 1600 miles with my foot on the gas pedal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DJ Commie posted:

Adaptive cruise on the work 2018 Tacoma is pretty good.

Yeah on our 2018 Land Cruiser it's really nice, save for the fact it doesn't work under something like 38 mph which is dumb as poo poo because stop and go traffic adaptive cruise control IS something I miss from our V60 Volvo, but I also didn't have to glom adaptive cruise control on a vehicle originally from 2008 so perhaps they have a real reason for it.
I also know it's going to react far more in advance and faster than I ever could.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm too much of a control freak about operating machinery that can kill me to even use regular cruise control. I'll drive 1600 miles with my foot on the gas pedal.

100% same

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The adaptive cruise on my wife's CX-5 is fine. It has a limited range and as such will zoom up on a slower car and then hit the brakes pretty hard. I've learned to move over to pass earlier, which is good. It also detects cars using the offramp as "in my lane", which can be annoying. However, it's so tremendously useful in traffic that I won't buy a car without it in the future. My mom's old Volvo XC40's system was so much more refined, and I wish I could have transplanted it into the CX5. I'm not buying a new truck until it's implemented on them. I don't always use it, but for stop and go, it's like a cheat mode. Ditto when the kiddo is being distracting or needy, or I'm tied and need to concentrate more on everything else going on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Yeah on our 2018 Land Cruiser it's really nice, save for the fact it doesn't work under something like 38 mph which is dumb as poo poo

And baffling. Our 2013 does stop and go just fine.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It really does seem to be dependent on the model and year, I don't understand completely. Our 2022 Civic could start CC from a complete stop and would drive at any speed, at any distance, but our rented 2021(?) Accord would cancel if it went below 10mph

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The adaptive CC on the works Transit is a godsend, but am finding that I'm also using the speed limiter a lot more now for deliveries when I'm in built up areas.

But we have a few different brands and the speed limiter acts differently on each one.

Transit is the best, set the limiter plant foot to the ground and you just won't be able to go past it. Will keep it at the limit even if you are going down hill.

Iveco will hold like the Transit, but go past half throttle and it'll totally ignore the limiter.

Renault Master. Works the same as the Iveco, will blast past the limiter over half throttle and will just run away past it if you're going downhill. Dogshit to go along with the rest of this dogshit van.

Automatically controlled manual gearbox is by far the worst thing ever invented.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Chris Knight posted:

Saab night mode ftw

Really enjoyed this feature.

Really hated when the button got stuck driving into downtown Portland. Nothing like making my way around unfamiliar crowded streets at night with nothing but half a speedometer.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Puddin posted:

The adaptive CC on the works Transit is a godsend, but am finding that I'm also using the speed limiter a lot more now for deliveries when I'm in built up areas.

But we have a few different brands and the speed limiter acts differently on each one.

Transit is the best, set the limiter plant foot to the ground and you just won't be able to go past it. Will keep it at the limit even if you are going down hill.

Iveco will hold like the Transit, but go past half throttle and it'll totally ignore the limiter.

Renault Master. Works the same as the Iveco, will blast past the limiter over half throttle and will just run away past it if you're going downhill. Dogshit to go along with the rest of this dogshit van.

Automatically controlled manual gearbox is by far the worst thing ever invented.

The Sprinters were good too when i got to drive them, dogshit head unit in all of them tho

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gomi Day posted:

i'm gonna march right into what is probably the wrong thread because i have a serious soft spot for the original SV-1.

https://twitter.com/DMCMarty/status/1615172527487332352

it's probably gonna be a disaster and that pontiac aztek looking face is hilarious.

(i also have a soft spot for the aztek.)

[edit] rehosted images due to twitter embed stupidity

I mean, points for being different

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Mcqueen posted:

Really enjoyed this feature.

Really hated when the button got stuck driving into downtown Portland. Nothing like making my way around unfamiliar crowded streets at night with nothing but half a speedometer.

Oh, don't worry, it will lit up when necessary. Speed up beyond 140 and the rest of the speedo will show up, bounce against the rev limit and the rev meter will spring to life. Same for running low on gas.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Puddin posted:

The MCI J4500 Coach Buses I drove ten years ago were a mix of the same way with their limiters, plant your foot and you're not going over 65 or 66 mph. (depending on what it was set to at the garage) This was handy because the Cruise Control [ON] indicator on the dash was piercingly bright and ruined night vison, so I'd just wedge my boot between the pedal and the dash to hammer down.

Worked just like your Renault though, only limited throttle and didn't do anything for going downhill. Which scared the piss out of me in the hills when I saw I was approaching 80, with a curve ahead.

Oh and they had a ZF robotic manual, too... I swear sometimes it was like the throttle response was telegraphed to the motor via carrier pigeon.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Saukkis posted:

Oh, don't worry, it will lit up when necessary. Speed up beyond 140 and the rest of the speedo will show up, bounce against the rev limit and the rev meter will spring to life. Same for running low on gas.

Neat!

I didn't even think about the low gas light, lol.

I like trip computers and compasses built into the rearview mirror. Even when towing, the eye is drawn towards the mirror out of habit and I feel that's safer than searching around on the dash for miles-until-empty or compass heading.

Ditto on the little sunshades above the mirror. Even better when the sunshade in extendable. I can't quite remember which vehicle I drove that had this (1st Gen Mercury Sable/Ford Taurus?), but it had double sunshades, one nesting in the other, so you could block sun/glare from the sides and the front.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/GoodwoodRRC/status/1705477097689378995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Saab night mode ftw

I love that!
In my Mk2 Jetta I only ever replaced the light on the speedometer side of the instrument panel and if I crank the potentiometer all the way down I can black out all the heater/ventilation controls too.
On an empty highway with just the headlights + aux driving lights and a completely dark cabin is such a surreal feeling.