Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Shad seems like such a weird dumb motherfucking weirdo dumb poo poo that I legitimately strain to imagine how he cultivated an audience in the first place before we went mask off bigot chud shithead.

IIRC, even before he went full mask off, nearly every time he tried to do a video on the actual history of weapons, Matt Easton from the youtube channel ScholaGladiatoria would put a correction of some kind because, guess what, he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to history. Surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

IIRC, even before he went full mask off, nearly every time he tried to do a video on the actual history of weapons, Matt Easton from the youtube channel ScholaGladiatoria would put a correction of some kind because, guess what, he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to history. Surprising.

Imagine my shock that a guy who can't grasp basic storytelling concepts and constantly lies to cover his rear end turned out to be sloppily ignorant in his chosen field of expertise.

MrQueasy posted:

yeah, it's not really that I felt betrayed, more like I got fooled by the exact same scam after thinking I had learned from the last time

Unfortunately it's a game of constant vigilance these days because people are more and more willing to either just let the mask slip or just randomly pivot into chudhood out of nowhere if they they think they can make bank off of it. The good news though is that these pubes tell on themselves constantly and loudly. So you can usually that a guy who makes YouTube thumbnails that look like this:

probably has unfortunate views on a lot of things polite society would go "Dude, what the gently caress is WRONG with you?" at if said aloud in, say, like the order line at a Subway restaurant or at the bus stop.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

nine-gear crow posted:

Imagine my shock that a guy who can't grasp basic storytelling concepts and constantly lies to cover his rear end turned out to be sloppily ignorant in his chosen field of expertise.

Unfortunately it's a game of constant vigilance these days because people are more and more willing to either just let the mask slip or just randomly pivot into chudhood out of nowhere if they they think they can make bank off of it. The good news though is that these pubes tell on themselves constantly and loudly. So you can usually that a guy who makes YouTube thumbnails that look like this:

probably has unfortunate views on a lot of things polite society would go "Dude, what the gently caress is WRONG with you?" at if said aloud in, say, like the order line at a Subway restaurant or at the bus stop.

yeah but unless I subscribe and regularly watch a channel, youtube seems to know to hide these thumbnails from me

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The first time I ever heard of Shadiveristy the context was "look at this loser streaming with Sargon of Akkad"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YggiDee posted:

The first time I ever heard of Shadiveristy the context was "look at this loser streaming with Sargon of Akkad"

Same-ish. I think it was someone in one iteration of this thread years ago was like "Oh wow, Shadiversity's a huge loving racist apparently" I think my response, posted or not was something like "Never heard of that guy before, but he sure picked an unfortunate screen name for that one..."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just stick to Matt Easton or Skallagrim. Matt is great for educational videos on swordsmanship and Skall has a good mix of goofy videos and blade tests and reviews.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

here is pig racing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jLNNMFur5A

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ariong posted:

God that's funny, why are they so loud?

My favorite part is how they cost $1400 and they couldn't be bothered to professionally film the instructional video about how to actually use them.

"Here's how you walk in them" *camera pans up so you can't see the guy's feet*

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

My favorite part is how they cost $1400 and they couldn't be bothered to professionally film the instructional video about how to actually use them.

"Here's how you walk in them" *camera pans up so you can't see the guy's feet*

I enjoyed the points in the promo videos that caught random bystanders looking down at them with clear expressions of "what in god's name are those people wearing on their feet"

the reveal of how noisy the things are made it even better

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember the first video I saw of him I realized he was a total tool right away because he was complaining about how he wants to move away from California because of the Covid lockdown that was going on at the time.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

YggiDee posted:

For me it was when I picked up his book while looking for something new to read. The setting and concepts in it were pretty interesting and original, but the writing itself was meh and for some reason there was a lot of time focused on rape and sexual violence.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, I think everyone still posting in this terrible thread has gone through that exact process of their favourite YouTuber milkshake ducking themself at one point or another. For example, a lot of people were similarly betrayed by Brad Jones turning out to be a cocksmear, etc. I do t think this thread is entirely lacking in empathy.

But like holy poo poo Shad Brooks is just like a next level rear end in a top hat in comparison to all that.

If cathode ray dude gets cancelled I’m destroying all my interesting but ultimately futile early 2000s technology in protest

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I like that I am constantly finding new apparently massive channels that I never knew existed. I recently got recommended a video from a channel with over 6 million subscribers that I had never heard of, that sort of thing.

my reaction to whenever i find a large yt channel that i never heard of is always "where the hell did this come from??". it's a bad habit, one that i have to get out of, but as someone who spends an incredibly unhealthy amount of time on yt, i figure i would at least be aware of all the million+ subscriber channels by now. it was the same with (albeit much, MUCH shittier) channels like Valuetainment, Whatever Podcast, and Fresh and Fit. They just showed up in my feed one day completely out of the blue, and then i start seeing poo poo from them ALL THE TIME now. and what's extra crazy is that i'm not even talking about this being the fault of the yt algorithm. i mean, yes, it definitely plays a role, but i mean i start seeing everyone talk about these clowns, whether on yt, twitter, tiktok. it doesn' t matter, they're EVERYWHERE now!

but yeah, cinema therapy is great. i highly recommend watching the mega mind video

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Z05Ik5r2U
Drew spends too much money on something stupid.

case in point, this channel right here too

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, I think everyone still posting in this terrible thread has gone through that exact process of their favourite YouTuber milkshake ducking themself at one point or another. For example, a lot of people were similarly betrayed by Brad Jones turning out to be a cocksmear, etc. I do t think this thread is entirely lacking in empathy.

But like holy poo poo Shad Brooks is just like a next level rear end in a top hat in comparison to all that.

wait, brad jones? cinema snob brad jones? ah poo poo, what did he do? :smith:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

my reaction to whenever i find a large yt channel that i never heard of is always "where the hell did this come from??". it's a bad habit, one that i have to get out of, but as someone who spends an incredibly unhealthy amount of time on yt, i figure i would at least be aware of all the million+ subscriber channels by now. it was the same with (albeit much, MUCH shittier) channels like Valuetainment, Whatever Podcast, and Fresh and Fit. They just showed up in my feed one day completely out of the blue, and then i start seeing poo poo from them ALL THE TIME now. and what's extra crazy is that i'm not even talking about this being the fault of the yt algorithm. i mean, yes, it definitely plays a role, but i mean i start seeing everyone talk about these clowns, whether on yt, twitter, tiktok. it doesn' t matter, they're EVERYWHERE now!

but yeah, cinema therapy is great. i highly recommend watching the mega mind video

wait, brad jones? cinema snob brad jones? ah poo poo, what did he do? :smith:

When it came out that Channel Awesome's leadership were abusing and exploiting their talent, and, among other things, straight up protected a known child molester in their midst, Brad was the one dude out of Channel Awesome's at that point close to 50 member talent pool who stuck by Doug, Rob and Mike Michaud and went "these are my guys, I stand with them". Even though it cost him basically all of his professional and personal friendships. Like there's a reason why people like Alison Pregler, Phelous, and Linkara just stopped collaborating with him cold turkey around May 2018...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

When it came out that Channel Awesome's leadership were abusing and exploiting their talent, and, among other things, straight up protected a known child molester in their midst, Brad was the one dude out of Channel Awesome's at that point close to 50 member talent pool who stuck by Doug, Rob and Mike Michaud and went "these are my guys, I stand with them". Even though it cost him basically all of his professional and personal friendships. Like there's a reason why people like Alison Pregler, Phelous, and Linkara just stopped collaborating with him cold turkey around May 2018...

Don't forget this was compounded by being years after most people mourning JewWario's suicide, with several CA members having tributes to him in their videos (eg; Bennet had a Wario hat on his background shelf for a long stretch of Anime Abandon), fully unaware he was a child molester and never so much as discreetly informed by CA's leadership in the time following his death.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget this was compounded by being years after most people mourning JewWario's suicide, with several CA members having tributes to him in their videos (eg; Bennet had a Wario hat on his background shelf for a long stretch of Anime Abandon), fully unaware he was a child molester and never so much as discreetly informed by CA's leadership in the time following his death.

Yeah lol you can tell the moment when Bennett found out JewWario was a sexual predator because that Wario hat just loving disappears from the background of his set like it got loving Thanos snapped between Anime Abandon episodes.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
My hobbies of weightlifting, hunting/bushcrafting and gaming makes it just so loving tiring to find new channels while weeding out the lunatics. And even when you find one, at any second they can just go all in on the chud crap.

If Steve Wallis ever turns out to be right wing I may just give up on the internet altogether.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, I think things like homesteading, woodworking, or those videos where people cook food on a farm are neat, but there's a non-zero chance Youtube will try to serve me videos from modern day secession and tradwife movements if I look any up lol.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Noodle weighing in on the whole "Baldur's Gate 3 should be the new standard and has AAA running scared" thing that's been happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f4N08TGtB4

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Or JewWario in a personal case. You Can Play This was really cool and a lot of folks weren't doing it at the time.

People still fling themselves at MarzGurl over it, which nobody will be surprised to learn. "YOU KNEEEEW." (That this is usually done in defense of Vic Mignogna makes it even more :psyduck:.)

Clerical Terrors posted:

Noodle weighing in on the whole "Baldur's Gate 3 should be the new standard and has AAA running scared" thing that's been happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f4N08TGtB4

Man, I wish AAA studios would give games BG3's dev cycle but haha.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Man, I wish AAA studios would give games BG3's dev cycle but haha.

I'm sort of expecting publishers to look at BG3 and conclude that the winning move is to just release incomplete games in Early Access so the consumer pays the other half of the development budget up front and you get a smash hit three years later.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

carrionman posted:

My hobbies of weightlifting, hunting/bushcrafting and gaming makes it just so loving tiring to find new channels while weeding out the lunatics. And even when you find one, at any second they can just go all in on the chud crap.

If Steve Wallis ever turns out to be right wing I may just give up on the internet altogether.

I know how that feels, I like watching/reading history of guns and/or firearms in general. Now that's a minefield of chuds that you gotta somehow avoid. Fortunately, there's Jonathan Ferguson and he frequently collabs with History Hit youtube channel when they cover those topics.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Clerical Terrors posted:

I'm sort of expecting publishers to look at BG3 and conclude that the winning move is to just release incomplete games in Early Access so the consumer pays the other half of the development budget up front and you get a smash hit three years later.

How is that any different from what happens now? Just look at how everyone's swearing up and down that cyberpunk was actually always a good game all of a sudden.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Nuebot posted:

How is that any different from what happens now? Just look at how everyone's swearing up and down that cyberpunk was actually always a good game all of a sudden.

The key difference being that they didn't call it "Early Access" but a full release, so they were judged by the standards of a full release at the time. Baldur's Gate 3 kind of shows that you can just skip past that and have your "release" several years later and you will instead be hailed for publishing a working, polished product.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Clerical Terrors posted:

The key difference being that they didn't call it "Early Access" but a full release, so they were judged by the standards of a full release at the time. Baldur's Gate 3 kind of shows that you can just skip past that and have your "release" several years later and you will instead be hailed for publishing a working, polished product.

Oh you havent heard about Acts 2 and 3 of BG3 yet huh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuebot posted:

More like the the game from patch 1.5 onwards put it in a playable state for the majority of users to the point where they could enjoy the parts of the game that were goof from day one, mainly the writing and acting. It's easier to appreciate what was always good when the poo poo surrounding it gets fixed.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

2's not bad, but 3 is where the wheels come the gently caress off. It's the feeling of having to stick another adventure onto the campaign but this one isn't nearly as good as the first one. Which isn't a surprise for Larian, honestly. I don't think I've ever played a game from them that didn't fall apart near the end, even when the whole thing was building to it like OS2.

Still by far their best work and I'd love an Icewind Dale by them, but it's not a surprise.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Alaois posted:

I was being snide, I've finished the game.

Larian got away with releasing BG3 in an unfinished state twice at this point.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Clerical Terrors posted:

No way on earth a AAA company leaves a team working on the same game as long as BG3, even in an early access form. They're shipped off the next salt mine within a year and the early access game would just be abandoned. The only possible change BG3 makes is that empty incomplete third person action games are replaced with empty incomplete crpgs.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Brace for more games to have visible dice rolls

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Release Cyberpunk was amazing if you like janky buggy messes. Say, if you're a Bethesda fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyr6A-onE18

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mr Interweb posted:

If you haven’t heard of Drew Gooden before today your knowledge of big youtubers is nowhere near as expansive as you think

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

~ 35,000 youtube channels have a million subscribers, if you're on top of who has a million or not in general you should probably go outside more.

Drew Gooden good
Eddy Burback good
Ted Nevison good

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

YggiDee posted:

My introduction to him was the Jack Saint videos utterly clowning on him. I had never beheld such a churlish oaf

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
john green is a loving badass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMvJ4PDr4g4&hd=1

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Lily Alexandre looks at 2010s pop feminism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmnsK74khNw

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Honestly don't even care if they're a bleeding-heart socialist: if you make a video thumbnail that looks like this I ain't clicking on that poo poo, lmao.

Alaois posted:

Act 2 was fine, Act 3 made me drop my first play through and between AC6 and CP77's 2.0 update + DLC, I've had little impulse to return. I will eventually circle back around and finish a game I imagine but man the instant quality drop off in like, every aspect as soon as you hit Act 3 is loving brutal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a tried and true Larian tradition. Except Fort Joy was not that good while Act 1 of BG3 was super great.

At least Act 3 in BG3 felt more incomplete than outright trash, like Original Sin 2's.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

To be fair having a last act suddenly drop in quality isn't uncommon in CRPGs at all. But the wierd story turns and the fact that you can clearly see traces of content that ended up being cut in Act 3 really undermines a lot of the good the game does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I was feeling fatigued but generally okay about it right up until it went and pulled a Fallout 3 style bullshit forced choice right at the end. In fact it was arguably worse than FO3 because that game was at least consistently railroad-y throughout its main quest but BG3 had previously been all about telling your own story and finding alternative solutions to problems.