Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Veotax posted:

The two that I'm aware of is them banning the mods that replace the LGBT+ pride flags in Spider-Man with an American flag (or any other flag) and more recently banning mods that remove the pronoun selection from Starfield.

Has there been anything else since those?

They've been banning mods that do things like, as an example, turn Wyll in Baldur's Gate 3 into a blonde haired blue-eyed white guy as well. Between that and starfield, idiots are getting really mad a tiny handful of sites are being less bigoted lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Combat Lobster posted:

https://twitter.com/FortunesRun/status/1706771462617518140

I guess it turned out fine in the end. Though this public display soured any desire to try it.

yeah there is no way I'm playing this game now, lmfao.

Endorph posted:

incidentally that guy seems like a moron but also i cant blame him for being testy when theres poo poo like https://twitter.com/RWSstudios/status/1706696362765549739 the postal devs (of all people) accusing him of 'glorifying rape'

in general the post was goofy but also the moral condemnation people were rushing to for daring to question steam or daring to have a scene like that in his game when it seems like the situation was literally exactly as he portrayed it is incredible. everything he said in that post is basically accurate even if the phrasing was goofy so it owns that people were acting like they were the problem, not steam

they had a mid off

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

YggiDee posted:

I just saw someone say it was Islamophobia to ban mods that remove LGBT content

well, that's a new one, to me at least

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
conservatives in the us have been using that same argument forever (but with their own preferred religion)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

conservatives in the us have been using that same argument forever (but with their own preferred religion)

Oh, true yeah

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Mod sites banning bigoted poo poo is cool, and good. Glad they're taking a stand on it.

Veotax posted:

The two that I'm aware of is them banning the mods that replace the LGBT+ pride flags in Spider-Man with an American flag (or any other flag) and more recently banning mods that remove the pronoun selection from Starfield.

Reminds me of the impotent gamer rage that frothed over when that one driving game had an option to toggle pride flags, that made every flag into a pride flag :allears:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Orv posted:

Those are the two big news item ones but from a very brief look it seems the Starfield one has brought the bigots to a full boil.

given the reaction that one streamer had where he had an on-camera full meltdown over pronouns i am extremely unsurprised.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

given the reaction that one streamer had where he had an on-camera full meltdown over pronouns i am extremely unsurprised.

this sounds incredible

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

this sounds incredible

How you’ve not seen it yet I don’t know but it’s great https://youtu.be/DLeT09s-zJU?si=cKyJqUl7SFfOIUX-

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm happy that Nexus takes a pro-active moderation stance. There's a good reason why I never put any of my mods up on steam workshop.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

teethgrinder posted:

This is exactly the song I was thinking of when writing that post lol.

Ha! Well, here it is: https://file.io/oVKwDDuSFhx8. It's in Tuxguitar format, and exported as a wav. Stupid thing's meant to be able to export to midi, but what it spat out crashed VLC when trying to open it. It had no problems creating a midi-recorded-to-wav, though, somehow.

e: ha, no it's not, it's been deleted already? Oh well.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 27, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
God is real because the universe must be structured and planned if it made a guy whose logo is stomping on a babys face this much of a giant infant. :allears:

Also immersing myself into an utterly fantastic sci fi world and being unprepared for something as fantastical as existing people and terms. FTL travel? Makes sense. Societal norms? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 27, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

RIP FIFA :rubby:

https://twitter.com/syacvg/status/1706815482744238221

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Hoping for a retro revival of "Eric Cantina"-style player renaming

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bobson Dugnutt's time has come once again

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/FortunesRun/status/1706776485611110417

and also it seems like it really was just them warning for the SA in the steam description, if removing it got them through. Which is hosed up! Regardless of what you think of how he framed it or how he acted, he wanted to warn for a scene that was in the game and valve denied him for it.

So... wait... the game was originally denied because it had a warning about a SA scene in the game that Steam didn't think justified the warning, so then they cut the SA but left the warning in... which Steam then allowed?

I'm just wanting to make sure I'm understanding their narrative correctly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isn't FIFA responsible for like 75% of EA's yearly revenue?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The game, not the license.

FIFA license does not come with any markets team licenses, which EA has rights to completely separately.

Edit: its like how EA would not lose the rights to NFL players and logos if they stopped paying the Madden family

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Ultimate Team makes huge amounts of money specifically, I believe

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Barudak posted:

The game, not the license.

FIFA license does not come with any markets team licenses, which EA has rights to completely separately.

So they just need the FIFA license to include the bribery and corruption mechanics?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ultimate Team makes huge amounts of money specifically, I believe

It made tons even before that, I think fifa has been EAs bestseller for decades at this point. And if they have licenses for the real teams, it probably still will even under a new name.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Randalor posted:

So... wait... the game was originally denied because it had a warning about a SA scene in the game that Steam didn't think justified the warning, so then they cut the SA but left the warning in... which Steam then allowed?

I'm just wanting to make sure I'm understanding their narrative correctly.

I'm reading it as the other way around, the scene and the in-game warning are there but the warning on the steam page is not

i don't think i'll be playing it to confirm, mind you

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If only the NFL was next.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
A quick google search says EA decided not to renew the license last year? https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-sports-fc-fifa-split-reasons No idea if that's a rear end-covering lie or what.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

A quick google search says EA decided not to renew the license last year? https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-sports-fc-fifa-split-reasons No idea if that's a rear end-covering lie or what.

Basically FIFA (the organization) decided to massively jack up the price to renew the license. EA told them to get hosed. Last I checked, FIFA has sold their name to a bunch of NFT games and mobile crap so lol.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 27, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The whole FIFA/EA thing is pretty much the platonic ideal of let_them_fight.gif

FIFA think that blessing a game as an ~official licensed FIFA property~ is some kind of magic pixy dust that is worth taking a loving massive slide of EA's pie over.

EA is, well, EA and doesn't want to share the billions of dollars that it makes enabling gambling in children and addicts.

It's literally a mafia-like consortium that has been caught red handed taking bribes from dictators and theocrats trying to shake down a massive company that makes most of its money skinner boxing gambling addicts and people with an obsessive devotion to an IP (be it soccer or star wars) into flushing their rent money down a digital toilet.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Is the FIFA license similar to the NFL or NBA license in that without it they cannot use actual team and player names?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Is the FIFA license similar to the NFL or NBA license in that without it they cannot use actual team and player names?

No, its as mentioned above as relevant to player names as madden the name is to the NFL

Literally all losing this license does is prevent EA from calling the game FIFA and they can't talk about the world cup by name.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

EA is, well, EA and doesn't want to share the billions of dollars that it makes enabling gambling in children and addicts.

EA was already sharing the billions. The number FIFA was asking for on the new contract however, was an ELEVEN digit number, according to friends that still work there.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Literally all losing this license does is prevent EA from calling the game FIFA and they can't talk about the world cup by name.

Here we are for the first game of the GLOBAL TROPHY.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

wilderthanmild posted:

Here we are for the first game of the GLOBAL TROPHY.

World Championship Foot Bowl

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Call it the International Soccer Federation Cup.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Electronic Arts Football Association Global Cup

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

EA was already sharing the billions. The number FIFA was asking for on the new contract however, was an ELEVEN digit number, according to friends that still work there.

Yeah I want to say that at the actual time of the announcement the general feeling was "lmao FIFA are a bunch of loving morons". They basically turned off a money spigot for no reason other than pure idiocy.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah I want to say that at the actual time of the announcement the general feeling was "lmao FIFA are a bunch of loving morons". They basically turned off a money spigot for no reason other than pure idiocy.

FIFA are galaxy brain genius business people. It’s no longer enough for numbers to go up every year, the percent number that the numbers go up, must also go up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Keep in mind that FIFA are the ones who every time it comes out that Putin or some Saudi royalty or whatever bribed them with a dump truck full of money, somehow it's FIFA who comes off looking scummy. There was a joke a bit ago that this event happened so that Putin would have someone to look good in comparison to:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm reading it as the other way around, the scene and the in-game warning are there but the warning on the steam page is not

i don't think i'll be playing it to confirm, mind you

Okay, yeah, I must have misread it as they took out the SA material rather than removing the SA tags on Steam. I thought they had a tweet saying they took out the specific scene but I can't find it now so I must have misread it. That makes sense now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brianna Wu just got outed as a massive transphobe.

Group DM where she mocks random trans people's appearance, comparing trans people to gamergate, retweeting UK terfs.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 27, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The whole EA / FIFA thing is funny because this already happened once before, and it certainly didn't stop Madden from blowing up.

(Madden Football 64 was a football game that was NFLPA-licensed, but not NFL-licensed, so the teams are all generic cities but all of the players are there and in their usual spots.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Endorph posted:

Brianna Wu just got outed as a massive transphobe.
I will never understand how these people’s heads don’t explode from the sheer force of all the cognitive dissonance. Have fun trying to bond with all the bigots you’ve spent decades getting death threats from over the one hatred you share, I guess.