Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Literally amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Every team in the NFL should have their own CableThanos

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Man, some people got a lot of spare time on their hands!

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Man I really wanted Fields to be good, I hope he and the Panthers find a way to win some games so he can survive the next coaching cycle and get one more chance

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just bring Lovie back. He has clearly been the best coach since Ditka got canned.

I had to look it up: they fired him after a 10-6 record (missed the playoffs)

What absolute loving hubris.

How is a godly man supposed to derive joy from his virtuous small town team's domination of this division if the Bears refuse to be a professional organization for an entire goddamn decade?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Hannibal: "Bottom line: I'm going to gently caress up Rome"

(proceeds to gently caress up Rome consistently)

Carthage: "We appreciate what Hannibal did for us but we're going to go in a different direction"

(razes itself to cinders)

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

I had to look it up: they fired him after a 10-6 record (missed the playoffs)

What absolute loving hubris.

Ahem

"The Lions finished with a 9–7 record... Despite this, Caldwell was dismissed by the Lions after the season, having accumulating a winning record of 36–28"

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Parallelwoody posted:

Ahem

"The Lions finished with a 9–7 record... Despite this, Caldwell was dismissed by the Lions after the season, having accumulating a winning record of 36–28"

..replacing him with Matt Patricia.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We've entered the job saving leg of the schedule.
One of these includes a mini bye, right?
https://twitter.com/MaxMarkhamNFL/status/1706665859572514841?t=zu-rsFaOTiBh5kAj36SHkQ&s=19
Lmao if the bears get above 500...
Thankfully, I feel the Vikings are real and just unlucky.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

This is a hard truth, and I love Lovie, but firing him to bring in an offensive HC was, in my opinion, one of the few things Emery got right. Your HC needs to be responsible for continuity in the offensive scheme as well, but Lovie couldn’t do that. Tice stunk obv and they were tapped of offensive talent in the building, meaning they’d have to bring in somebody from outside and install a whole new system.

Lovie getting fired had nothing to do with his competence personally. It’s a good thing the guy they brought in was also pretty competent at running a pro team oh wait

It’s a good thing the Bears learned their lesson and didn’t go hire another defense-only Tampa 2 guy oh wait

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

We've entered the job saving leg of the schedule.
One of these includes a mini bye, right?
https://twitter.com/MaxMarkhamNFL/status/1706665859572514841?t=zu-rsFaOTiBh5kAj36SHkQ&s=19
Lmao if the bears get above 500...
Thankfully, I feel the Vikings are real and just unlucky.

If the Bears go 2-2 in that stretch I think they should feel fortunate. They find ways to lose against bad teams and I don't know how bad Washington or Minnesota are

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The Caldwell one was fuckin malpractice though, that man was working miracles with some of those rosters

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Bears game will be a fairly comfortable "get right" game for the Bronco's and I don't think the Commanders are anywhere near the same level of bad as some of the other teams in the league. Getting stomped by Buffalo is one thing but I don't think they're a flat out bad team.

The Vikings will drop 40+ on them.

That Raiders game has such scope for hysterical fuckery that the Earth may simply fold in on itself.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

GNU Order posted:

The Caldwell one was fuckin malpractice though, that man was working miracles with some of those rosters

yeah i went back and forgot his first season he took the team to 11-5

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Every GM thinks they’re firing Mark Jackson so they can hire Steve Kerr, but none realize they’re actually running the Sacramento Kings

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Caldwell had issues as a coach. The team never looked prepared and always struggled to start games. I remember one year all the Lions had to do to make the playoffs was beat a Bengals team with nothing to play for and they came out EXTREMELY flat. It was bad and it was a consistent thing with him. There was room to feel like, okay, Caldwell has come in, he has brought a culture of expectations to the Lions but they've gone as far as they can with him, it's time to take another step.

The problem is, if you're gonna use that logic to fire the guy after a winning season, you'd better not hire a replacement who never even scratches his lowest win total.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The bears will lose all of those games because they are much worse than every other team in the nfl.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Raiders could be a complete disaster in 3 weeks and (hopefully) traded away guys like Devante, they are the Bears best chance.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah i went back and forgot his first season he took the team to 11-5

That 2014 team was probably the most pure talent I've seen on the Lions in my lifetime. Extremely disappointing that they couldn't win a playoff game with that squad.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Bears will have a chance to prove what they are made of against the Broncos! What do we think, wet toilet paper, or damp breeze?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

C-Euro posted:

That 2014 team was probably the most pure talent I've seen on the Lions in my lifetime. Extremely disappointing that they couldn't win a playoff game with that squad.

Joe Lombardi. :shepface:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I watched a Chase Daniel breakdown (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY0VYVlpO2A). He actually wasn't too bad, at least compared to the JT OSullivan Bucs video. Good lord.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Mayhew got a lot of poo poo for his draft picks (mostly his notoriously bad second rounds) but those teams had dudes at every position.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

The bears will lose all of those games because they are much worse than every other team in the nfl.

At least then we'll know that Fields isn't the answer and we can move on to ruining Caleb Williams' career.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

MJeff posted:

I remember one year all the Lions had to do to make the playoffs was beat a Bengals team with nothing to play for and they came out EXTREMELY flat.

That was his final year, right?

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My favourite Caldwell game was the london game against the Falcons where two head coaches went head to head trying to lose the game. Falcons fail beat same old lions.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Danny LaFever posted:

My favourite Caldwell game was the london game against the Falcons where two head coaches went head to head trying to lose the game. Falcons fail beat same old lions.

Didn't Caldwell like.

Run it on 3rd down, with no timeouts left and only a few seconds left, but the Falcons stopped the clock with a penalty, so the Lions could kick the walk-off FG?

Bumhead posted:

That was his final year, right?

Yeah. Might be the game that lost him his job, tbh.

That was ALSO the year with the loving 10-second runoff against the Falcons.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 27, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Last week was the first matchup with the Falcons in like a decade without an extremely weird ending. Remember Todd Gurley scoring on accident?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Henchman of Santa posted:

Last week was the first matchup with the Falcons in like a decade without an extremely weird ending. Remember Todd Gurley scoring on accident?

I DO!

Oh my god, he tried so hard not to score and was so, so mad when he did.

And he had even purposely NOT scored a TD against the Lions to end a game a few years earlier on the Rams!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I remember Matt Patricia being brought in as the guy to bring Patriots Magic to a Lions team that couldn't quite get over the hump, except he thought he was doing a full rebuild, called all the veterans bums and drove the best players out of town

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1707039187612930360

I believe the only fair thing to do is for SKULL.GIF and myself to fight to the death for Davante.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh lawdy, Adams on that Lions team would be amazing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

He’s never coming back to the Packers. He wouldn’t stay for any amount of money because he didn’t want to live in Green Bay, WI for half the year.

I wouldn’t either, and it’s not like you can realistically commute from Milwaukee or Madison.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In all seriousness, Davante got hosed pretty bad, he wanted to play with his friend and then they just forced his friend off of the team basically immediately. He deserves to just go to the 49ers and cruise to a ring on that offense.

Apparently he mentioned Cleveland, though, so, uh, maybe he actually sucks.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

He’s never coming back to the Packers. He wouldn’t stay for any amount of money because he didn’t want to live in Green Bay, WI for half the year.

I wouldn’t either, and it’s not like you can realistically commute from Milwaukee or Madison.

Green Bay is hit-or-miss for most players. Sometimes it's people like AJ Dillon or Ahman Green or Crosby who immediately fall in love with the area and just adjust to being an easy-going homebody, other times it's Javon Walker or Davante Adam('s girlfriend, allegedly) who want to be clubbing it up and are deprived of it up here.

I really don't think he's ever coming back to Green Bay though. I'm not particularly sure if I want him to, even if he was willing. He's an incredible talent and would be a huge improvement for this Packers offense, but at the same time he's turning 31 this season and he would be taking a lot of production and development away from the other WRs on this roster. Players like Romeo and Reed and Musgrave have flashed loads of potential and I don't think the Packers are set up to contend for a championship this year. Is racking up numbers for 1.5 seasons worth stunting the development of younger receivers who will be with Love for potentially most of the next decade?

He should just go to San Francisco, which is still relatively close to home. One team I didn't see mentioned as a possible destination is the Chargers, who just lost Mike Williams for the year to injury. I guess they don't have the cap space to take his contract, and Vegas would never trade him in-division.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Would bringing him aboard the lions just be a depth move? We have three good WRs in Sun God, Reynolds, and Jamo coming back soon

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Would bringing him aboard the lions just be a depth move? We have three good WRs in Sun God, Reynolds, and Jamo coming back soon

Adams is 3x better than Reynolds or Raymond could ever be.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Devante Adams is a top 5 wideout in the league. Reynolds is little more than a JAG and Jamo is still essentially an unknown.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Adams is 3x better than Reynolds or Raymond could ever be.

Holy poo poo wow I looked up his stats and yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
There's like zero chance Davante would play anywhere but the West Coast. A massive part of him going to the Raiders was his family finally being able to see him play in person. If memory serves his grandmother cannot travel by plane.