Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

Cope nets have begun appearing on Buk launchers now.

they should place them in front of missiles for maximum denazification efficiency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I see the Ruble is still rubble

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

weg posted:

I don't want to keep this cyberpunk derail going on too long, but I agree with your assessment. I also feel that that tankies and neo-fascists are the same or at least a similar type of person. "Oh wouldn't it be cool to be a part of such a strong a powerful organization, ruling over creation with absolute power and authority". They seem to see themselves as part of the elite ruling class in this situation, not the huge majority or losers being crushed under its boot either directly or indirectly. People that put stormtrooper helmet stickers on their pickups are one example of this.

The authoritarians are bad you dumbfucks, cool space future or not! The folks that look to the USSR as a misunderstood workers utopia are just the same morons who think Vader is a badass and not a villain, only they are into history and not science fiction.

I think the scary thing about cyberpunk fiction is that we are seeing the worst parts of it come true. The governments that haven't failed are becoming increasingly undemocratic and corporate control and business interests are paramount to human rights.

Unfortunately the lesson of cyberpunk is more applicable than ever to our world: You can't save the world, you can only try to save yourself.

I means what’s funny is 2077 actually nails a lot of that, the world is a awful capitalistic super hell where everyone and thing is exploited to some hosed up degree and your always gonna be a tiny fish who gets hosed and ate. Hell the only good ending is when you walk away from it all and learn family and friends matter. It’s good interesting game especially post patches and with the expansion.

Bug Squash posted:

:Oscar Schindler tears.gif:

Should have went to Mr burns. His work drat it.

celewign posted:

Ukraine continues the slow grind through defenses. I am curious if a true breakthrough will ever occur, this just seems like endless cauldron battles.

I assume at some point, eventually either putin runs out of workable poo poo or the men rebel. Ukraine probably has an easier time finding weak points.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

celewign posted:

Ukraine continues the slow grind through defenses. I am curious if a true breakthrough will ever occur, this just seems like endless cauldron battles.

Defenses will break down and lose cohesion eventually, and if Ukraine still has plenty of combat power when that happens things could change dramatically.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ukraine will have at least 80 combat power to work with

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1706960211687219227#m
:homebrew:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Interesting article on how Russian provincial/rural communities perceive the war based on first-hand account

https://twitter.com/MarkGaleotti/status/1706956451170668679

Somewhat shortened article:

quote:

Every time I hear ‘experts’ telling me from their warm studios in the Netherlands or Israel how people are suffering under the yoke of the Putin regime, and how these people have lost everything due to the war and sanctions, I think about this street.

I think about it when I watch the usual YouTube debates between “liberal” emigrants, where they say that because of the unbearable pressure of sanctions, the people will soon understand that the “Putin regime” took everything they had away. They will understand and hopefully rise up. Maybe not rise up, but at least sabotage the regime. Or something like that.

Recently, the well-known psychologist Lyudmila Petranovskaya tried to list all the losses of the Russian people in order to prove that “not all Russians are benefitting from this war.” The list included: the national currency and property values in “FX equivalent” collapsing; the world being “closed” for tourists; the prospects for children to study abroad being cancelled; civil rights and freedoms being curtailed; education and culture degrading; families being separated “due to emigration;” etc. After reading this list, I once again thanked fate that I was not born in Moscow and still had not lost touch with reality.

Because if we take two thirds of the Russian population as the “Russian people,” then the “Russian people” have not lost any of this. Because they had none of it to begin with.
And so what that prices in stores have gone up - the people never believed in stores. The people have potatoes and jars of pickles in basements for the whole winter. We will survive somehow.

So, overall, the people have not lost anything. They have nothing special to lose.

But what did they get? They got a lot. First of all, money. So much money.
Sure, tens of thousands of Russian soldiers did not come back, but hundreds of thousands did! And they came back with so many millions of rubles that they could not have imagined before.
In my wife’s hometown (not as big as ours, but much more industrial), one man came home with three million rubles, which he and his friends spent in 10 days. Three hundred thousand a day for the guys – limitless alcohol and prostitutes. That is life! Those who have families, meanwhile, come home and go to the sea, buy apartments, upgrade their cars.

Secondly, they get to feel like they are part of something great. Just as our grandfathers defeated fascism, we are defeating Nazism in Ukraine (or whatever is there now). At the same time, we are beating the gays, the Jews, the entire collective West, Freemasons, everyone. Those who are older rejoice at the revival of the pioneers, military training in schools, school uniforms and generally all the fixtures of their youth. It’s about time, or else today’s youth would completely let themselves go! And all these gains without any effort at all, usually without even getting up from the couch.

And what can be offered to the people who, thanks to the war, got rich and feel great, like kings? Clips about the palaces of corrupt officials? The people have known for a long time, since the 90s, that they were robbed, that is not news. Discussions about how the people (who remained) are to blame for the crimes of the regime? Interviews about democracy and human rights? The tragic stories of the imprisoned Berkovich or Melkonyants? Who even are those people – they did not say anything about them on the TV or internet (for example, on the Komsomol’skaya pravda website).
And it is this mixture that gives rise to a total misunderstanding between the thin layer of those who really lost everything from the war and the overwhelming majority of the population, which did not lose anything and in fact gained everything.
In our intellectual conversations, as we hope that the nightmare will end soon, we try not to remember this fact: the many hundreds of thousands of men and women who have already taken part in the current war and the process of “rebuilding the new territories” have millions of children.

These millions of children believe that their fathers and mothers are now doing heroic things. They sincerely believe it, as their parents cannot be monsters. These millions of children put on a tricolor tie on September 1 for the start of the school year, watch the same TV, listen to their fathers’ stories about “ukropy” (a derogatory term for Ukrainians) and travel through destroyed Mariupol on their way to vacation in Crimea (with or without their fathers).

For public repentance after the end of the war, we will have to wait until these children grow up and have their own children, so that these (not yet born) children can be told that their grandfathers committed undignified acts. For some reason, it’s easier to hear about grandfathers than fathers. Internal, rather than external, repentance in Germany began in the 1970s – just when the children of the children of the Nazis grew up.

Thus, by the end of the 2040s, it will be possible to talk to the people about the losses that Russian society actually suffered from the current war. At least some of them will really listen. In addition, by that time teachers whose careers began under Brezhnev will finally stop teaching.

In the meantime, the people are experiencing perhaps the best period in their lives. Sure, some of them periodically come back from the war in zinc coffins. On the other hand, the whole street will be out for the funeral – how is that for reviving traditional values.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

This is some loving grim and depressing poo poo to read.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lmao what in the gently caress

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

zone posted:

That's Russia for you. I've read similar things on how small town families got a massive boost in status and attention when one of their sons died. Mostly from grifters looking to get some of the cash they would receive but also geniune respect they could not get any other way.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

on a lighter note

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1707012013560398301

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Well I guess the upside is that the people who did lose out from this war in Moscow and St Petersburg matter more than the hillbillies, but probably still not enough to make a difference. There's only one way to end this.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think I remember the film.

And I said, well that's, one thing we've blyat

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Well I guess the upside is that the people who did lose out from this war in Moscow and St Petersburg matter more than the hillbillies, but probably still not enough to make a difference. There's only one way to end this.

Let's be realistic, Puccia will probably run out of usable equipment before they run out of mobiks to throw at Ukraine.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
This war won't end because Russians are suffering. It will end because super rich Russians feel the pain. As long as they don't feel the consequences of their actions, they see no reason to stop. Guillotines would be nice, but it's gonna be Putin making GBS threads himself inside out, or some rich folk realizing this can't go on, they might have to give up on the extra's on their 4th yacht!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

That was a good read. Grim, but interesting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

he looks like the old man when he is dying from radiation fallout in when the wind blows.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 27, 2023

Burns
May 10, 2008

As I said, this war is only about the money for these people as it has been demonstrated time and again. It has to be made unprofitable for them somehow.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I'm loving done, I swear to god. After 19 months of getting their asses kicked, this is all they can think of doing instead of somehow finding a means to win.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he looks like the old man when he is dying from radiation fallout in when the wind blows.

Mans liver is trying to escape from his body

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's literally feudal rear end distribution of war loot as the only infusion of wealth or connection to the real economy that isolated subsistence farmers will ever have.

It'll become unprofitable under Chinese soft occupation because extracting untapped wealth from subsistence farms that basically didn't participate in the economy before is extremely their thing.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

zone posted:

I'm loving done, I swear to god. After 19 months of getting their asses kicked, this is all they can think of doing instead of somehow finding a means to win.

been done

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1070330/Russian_Life_Simulator/

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Maybe rich Russian widows can buy up some houses in China to prop up that sector from collapse. WIn win for both sides!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

Maybe rich Russian widows can buy up some houses in China to prop up that sector from collapse. WIn win for both sides!

To be fair, I don't think China's real estate sector can be reasonably saved any more.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Me a failed Anglo-Saxon, gazing shame-faced at the Russian basement with glorious stacks of potatoes and jars of pickles. I've never felt so owned.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

the popes toes posted:

Me a failed Anglo-Saxon, gazing shame-faced at the Russian basement with glorious stacks of potatoes and jars of pickles. I've never felt so owned.

Leave the pickles and potatoes out of this.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

zone posted:

Fish bloc already perfectly integrated into stackable, isometric game play. Lower than average risk of spontaneously catching on fire too.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

the popes toes posted:

Make sure there is no solanine gas in the cellar before going down to get some... or you won't come back. :ohno:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

zone posted:

There is no way for Russia to win

Their army/armed services/government is rotten to the core. The last of the :airquote: elite :airquote: are being butchered defending a pointless village with infantry weapons. There's not another thousand hundred fresh T-90s, or T-72s, or Mig-29s, or Ka-52s or even Mi-24s. There's whatever mothball Soviet poo poo thats survival bias'ed its way through 60 years of rotting in a field, whatever they can beg/borrow/steal from Iran and China, and dumbshit grifts like the Armata. Thats it. They cannot win by force of arms, they cannot build or buy an army that can win through force of arms, its over. Even if Ukraine support evaporated tomorrow, and Ukraine had to fight with what they have in the field, it doesn't matter. There is literally no way for Russia to win.

Russia should just go home but they cant. This particular issue is a unsolvable problem - they can't win, but Putin says they must win, so they have to keep fighting until they can win, except they can't win. So rural Russians spend their war crime money on week long debauches, Muscovites bitch about cell phones, State department grifters leaders make their own Sims game, Poots chugs horse cum, and people ignore that their fathers/brothers/sons are all disappearing. Tragically, this particular doom loop can run for a whiiiiiile before it consumes enough of itself to break :sigh:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:allears:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1707045753263100205

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:byetankie:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

That was briliant

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

zone posted:

This is about reducing points of failure for FSB framing operations

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

This war is absurd

the "alright alright alright" got me

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1706637373080240338?s=20

Admiral Sokolov made an appearance. Just the latest entry in a long list of people claimed dead by their enemies who turned out to be still alive.

isnt like half the staff still dead though?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1707046807216226521#m

quote:

Footage emerged of a headmistress of one of the schools in temporarily occupied Enerhodar in Zaporizhzia region, reporting to the new educational authorities of the Russian Federation.

She says that Ukrainian schoolchildren refuse to stand to the Russian national anthem and ask teachers very provocative questions about Russian history.

Additionally, local directors (collaborating with Russia) are unhappy with the quality of education since teachers from Dagestan and Buryatia arrived.
:owned:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt like half the staff still dead though?

Special Management re-Organization.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

zone posted:

this is what i was talking about a few days ago when i was referring to a lot of "deaths of despair" in russia. for vast swaths of the country, the oligarch kleptocracy has instituted such a massively toxic and painful environment that people would genuinely prefer to simply die in numbness rather than live in it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

It’s the children sir - we are defenseless to their trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

If Russia does not have the capacity to arrest the parents of these children then how can the educational system possibly expect to keep such seditious young people in line?