Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We're aware, the entire mainstream liberal movement is desperately trying to pretend this moment still exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Megamind also had the honor of releasing the same year as a similar animated movie that was about a supervillain that was better then it looked… it just had significantly more marketable minions.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's hard to believe these days for anyone under the age of 40 or so but there was a brief period in the prosperous Western world, let's say from 1991-2001, where people believed that most of society's major problems were pretty much "solved" and the struggle was for purpose in an increasingly automated, soulless world. Reality Bites, Office Space, Rent, Fight Club, even the Matrix to a certain extent were all the hallmarks of this particular Gen X end of history mindset in the 90s.

I'm 38, and I remember the End of History feel. It's really embarrassing for them how much people bought into it. The Boomers are the worst, but Gen X is the absolute lamest generation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to have being true to myself or whatever the only thing that keeps me up at night.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My brother is a Gen Xer and he still somehow acts like that time never ended. I legitimately ask him things like "aren't you worried about what future your daughter will grow up in" and he says "no, her future will be better than anything we have right now" with a straight face. It loving terrifies me.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It could have been true though; a small number of rich assholes are the only reason that things didn’t keep getting better for everyone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I'm 38, and I remember the End of History feel. It's really embarrassing for them how much people bought into it. The Boomers are the worst, but Gen X is the absolute lamest generation.

Generations are just astrology for marketing executives. The real problem, as always, is the people who make up and sell propaganda like the End of History. Some gen x are the bourgeoisie, it's true.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Also how were any of the characters in Fight Club failed men? They all had, like, jobs and stuff. They should just stop feeling unfulfilled.

Oh fuckin boo hoo, you have ennui because you work in a bank or whatever, go play videogames and watch cartoons you whiny sack of poo poo.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Aramek posted:

Also how were any of the characters in Fight Club failed men? They all had, like, jobs and stuff. They should just stop feeling unfulfilled.

Oh fuckin boo hoo, you have ennui because you work in a bank or whatever, go play videogames and watch cartoons you whiny sack of poo poo.

gently caress the bank! gently caress the b-b-b-bank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkb2X4YiRzY

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aramek posted:

I think there’s room in pop culture for frivolous depictions of spiritual death alongside ones that are better able to articulate the link between it and both capitalist alienation and the rise of fascism.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Aramek posted:

This is dumb. There is a reason why "material prosperity does not guarantee mental and spiritual well being" has been a pillar of basically every moral philosophy of the past 3000 years.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

AceOfFlames posted:

My brother is a Gen Xer and he still somehow acts like that time never ended. I legitimately ask him things like "aren't you worried about what future your daughter will grow up in" and he says "no, her future will be better than anything we have right now" with a straight face. It loving terrifies me.

I'm a gen Xer, and I'm not comfortable being lumped in with someone who more properly fits the description of 'oblivious moron'.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

This is dumb. There is a reason why "material prosperity does not guarantee mental and spiritual well being" has been a pillar of basically every moral philosophy of the past 3000 years.

Yeah they didn't have videogames and cartoons 3000 years ago, so I get it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imagine being the guy that just randomly asks his friends, "hey, do me a favor and imagine your daughter suffering horribly as a result of the actions of others for a minute".

I'm sure they don't do that kind of thing enough already.

Edit: you could just ask if they're as existentially frightened as you are without involving the kids!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Sep 27, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

Imagine being the guy that just randomly asks his friends, "hey, do me a favor and imagine your daughter suffering horribly as a result of the actions of others for a minute".

I'm sure they don't do that kind of thing enough already.

Shitloads of parents very clearly genuinely don't.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

This feels like it's getting close to that depressed goon "having kids at all is child abuse because the world is gonna end".

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Aramek posted:

Yeah they didn't have videogames and cartoons 3000 years ago, so I get it.

those are no substitute for a healthy social life and a useful role in society either

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel that I should add onto my previous statement to say I don't think people were wrong to make art questioning the merits of selling out, breaking middle class conformity, finding spiritual purpose in a comfortable but meaningless existence, etc. Those are all very valid feelings to explore and I like quite a bit of those movies. Just that they were emblematic of an uncommonly stable (for some) time and place in the world that seem a little more distant to us now.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Been rewatching Sex and the City. Lots of questionable stuff to me - like how they treat bisexuality.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

exquisite tea posted:

Just that they were emblematic of an uncommonly stable (for some) time and place in the world that seem a little more distant to us now.

In hindsight the 90s now feel a bit like the stagnation of Roman culture just before the empire started to crumble. Trump makes a pretty good Caligula.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Aramek posted:

This feels like it's getting close to that depressed goon "having kids at all is child abuse because the world is gonna end".

Losers. I'm having MORE kids so that they can form a mutant biker gang to rule the wastelands once society collapses.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In hindsight the 90s now feel a bit like the stagnation of Roman culture just before the empire started to crumble. Trump makes a pretty good Caligula.

Caligula was the third emperor.

If Trump is Caligula we have four more centuries of America. Which I think is overly optimistic.

or 1400 years if forums user Byzantine is reading this post

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Caligula was the third emperor.

If Trump is Caligula we have four more centuries of America. Which I think is overly optimistic.

:hmmno:

quote:

or 1400 years if forums user Byzantine is reading this post

:hmmyes:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

What should he do, worry constantly about poo poo he can't control? There are enough daily worries with kids without indulging in future doomer angst. You have to hold on to hope that things will work out good for your children's future even if it might be considered irrational.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Remulak posted:

It could have been true though; a small number of rich assholes are the only reason that things didn’t keep getting better for everyone.

This isn't any more correct. The meek aren't going to inherit the Earth - the kids of the rich assholes are.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Shard posted:

Been rewatching Sex and the City. Lots of questionable stuff to me - like how they treat bisexuality.

Yeah the sole episode where Carrie dates a bi guy aged like milk; everybody in the main cast writes it off as a flakey young person thing and she claims she's too old to really grasp it despite only being like 35 at best?? The love interest himself literally has no flaws IIRC, she just can't get past that he had at least one relationship with another dude before. It always struck me as a bit weird how close minded she was with regards to sex given she was literally a sex columnist, lol. Samantha was definitely leagues better in that regard (gets seriously involved with a woman for a handful of episodes) but she's not perfect either

That whole era of TV was pretty allergic to bisexuality in general though--see Willow in Buffy, a woman who is ostensibly bi but treated as irrevocably gay from the midpoint of the series onward

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Yeah the sole episode where Carrie dates a bi guy aged like milk; everybody in the main cast writes it off as a flakey young person thing and she claims she's too old to really grasp it despite only being like 35 at best?? The love interest himself literally has no flaws IIRC, she just can't get past that he had at least one relationship with another dude before. It always struck me as a bit weird how close minded she was with regards to sex given she was literally a sex columnist, lol. Samantha was definitely leagues better in that regard (gets seriously involved with a woman for a handful of episodes) but she's not perfect either

That whole era of TV was pretty allergic to bisexuality in general though--see Willow in Buffy, a woman who is ostensibly bi but treated as irrevocably gay from the midpoint of the series onward

The revival has gotten even WORSE believe it or not. In one episode they kept dancing around the word "abortion" despite it being casually used in the original show. Regardless of what you think the reasons are for the sudden change, they are all bad.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AceOfFlames posted:

The revival has gotten even WORSE believe it or not. In one episode they kept dancing around the word "abortion" despite it being casually used in the original show. Regardless of what you think the reasons are for the sudden change, they are all bad.
For reasons I refuse to explain I have seen the film sex and the city 2.

I don't know how to end this post because nothing I could type here would do it justice.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fwiw bi women only being able to get with girls bc men are weird about it is incredibly real

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Yeah the sole episode where Carrie dates a bi guy aged like milk; everybody in the main cast writes it off as a flakey young person thing and she claims she's too old to really grasp it despite only being like 35 at best?? The love interest himself literally has no flaws IIRC, she just can't get past that he had at least one relationship with another dude before. It always struck me as a bit weird how close minded she was with regards to sex given she was literally a sex columnist, lol.
I haven't seen it, but this sounds perfectly true to life.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Also in real life, even well meaning people can erase bisexual experiences really easily because nobody cares who you are attracted to, only who you are currently with. So a bisexual lady and bisexual man dating are just straight to everyone else.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

AcidCat posted:

You have to hold on to hope that things will work out good for your children's future even if it might be considered irrational.

Yeah, it's basically the sunk cost fallacy.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

Fwiw bi women only being able to get with girls bc men are weird about it is incredibly real

hell as a bi dude one time I was attempting to hit on a lady in a bar and mentioned I was bi.

her immediate, no-hesitation response was to ask if I'd been molested as a child.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean that is objectively a good way to get a creep to leave you alpne

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I used to be friends with a lesbian who had a strong mistrust of bi-women, I can't remember what the rationale was for it though, but it was before dating apps were really a thing, so it wasn't just because Bi was being used as code for "my boyfriend and I are looking for a third."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I, too, remember girlmecha.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Benagain posted:

hell as a bi dude one time I was attempting to hit on a lady in a bar and mentioned I was bi.

her immediate, no-hesitation response was to ask if I'd been molested as a child.

Jesus Christ lmao that's terrible. There's definitely a tinge of homophobia in the stigmatization of bi dudes and I hate it

Bi erasure itself is still a thing for sure, I'm a bi lady myself and still see it all the time. Speaking strictly about media though I think there's still a marked difference between how SATC handled sexual fluidity versus something like say Euphoria just a few years back. For all the issues that show has (and there's plenty) I can at least remember one character telling her boyfriend that him questioning his sexuality wasn't a problem for her

edit:

the_steve posted:

I used to be friends with a lesbian who had a strong mistrust of bi-women, I can't remember what the rationale was for it though, but it was before dating apps were really a thing, so it wasn't just because Bi was being used as code for "my boyfriend and I are looking for a third."

There's an unfortunate stereotype in the queer community that people who are bi either haven't "picked a side" yet and are just playing the field, or are too chickenshit to go Full Gay™ so to speak, so the label becomes a transitional marker. A lot of lesbians usually assume bi women fall into the former even when presented with all evidence towards the contrary; my stepmom was in two back to back serious relationships with women for nearly a decade in her 30s and every one of her friends on either end of the spectrum assumed it was just a phase for her. It wasn't, she's still very much into Isabella Rossellini and kd lang, she just also happened to settle down with my father. Both things can be true at once!

I think there's a lot of things factoring in to why this all or nothing mentality happens but I will say a lot of non straight communities tend to gatekeep out of a sense of preservation. Like they've gone through so much persecution they can end up cultivating an us or them mentality--you can see an example of this with Joey Lauren Adams's character and her friend group in Chasing Amy, or actually even SATC itself in that one episode where Charlotte attempts to befriend a group of super successful rich lesbians god I can't decide if that one is better or worse than the bi guy episode

Blood Nightmaster has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Sep 27, 2023

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Splicer posted:

For reasons I refuse to explain I have seen the film sex and the city 2.

sounds like the worst idea of all time

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The attitude I have encountered from straight guy locker room talk about bi women over the years from straight guys (typically in hypermasculine environments like the military*) is usually pretty starkly divided between "Sweet! She'll be up for threesomes!" and "guaranteed to cheat on you because liking both dick and vag means you want both all the time, and I've only got the one".

Both of which are incredibly stupid but that's prejudice and stereotyping for you. Sometimes you can talk someone through why they're stupid in the right circumstances and get them to change their mind a bit, but mostly not.

* Joking and stereotypes aside, most of the cishet dudes I worked with in the Navy and Marines had absolutely no idea what an outsized proportion of the military is LGBTQ compared to American society at large. Including me, at the start of my enlistment term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Lemniscate Blue posted:

* Joking and stereotypes aside, most of the cishet dudes I worked with in the Navy and Marines had absolutely no idea what an outsized proportion of the military is LGBTQ compared to American society at large. Including me, at the start of my enlistment term.

It is ludicrously true how ignorant some people can be about sexuality in the military, people are people, forced into similar action or not they still remain themselves. I've quite a few gay friends in the military and it is definitely a large group of cishet people ignorant of who they are serving with. I cannot stand our toxic culture around "masculinity" it serves only to weaken peoples acceptance and understanding of others.