Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ty Smith sucks. He is an okayish, unremarkable player at the AHL level and totally overmatched in the NHL. If there's any competition at all it's only because Sullivan hates POJ so much.

Sexy Hexy got taken to the cleaners by the Devils

I know it's "lol hfboards" but there was a time when Devils fans there said they'd rather have Ty Smith than Adam Fox for ~reasons~

Anyways, Panarin and Chytil also went out with injuries and people are already squawking that "firing Jim Ramsay is creating more injuries!" and "Laviolette is running the team too hard in practice!" or the flip side "This is just proof Ramsay used to push injured players back out on the ice instead of letting them heal!" and "these players are all soft and will have to harden up to handle Laviolette's practices!"

love the preseason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

rex rabidorum vires posted:

He sure did!

Cool. A ton of NHLers on the backend too lol. CBJ trotted out maybe 4 of their top 6 and their star draft pick so interested to see how the plugs do against an even better roster.

It used to be that teams would play their AHLers and prospects for the first few games (sprinkling in the bare minimum number of "NHL" players required by the rules) but now the trend seems to be play like 85% of your first team at home and when you're on the road you use the camp filler.. kind of an agreement between teams maybe to let everyone look good at home.. Kind of feels like these types of matchups lose most of their significance for roster evaluation in favor of just getting the veterans some easy reps against players from lower leagues but what do I know.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Red Wings have been pretty bad for a while. Its amazing how far their late-90s to early-00s draft picks took them.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

I know it's "lol hfboards" but there was a time when Devils fans there said they'd rather have Ty Smith than Adam Fox for ~reasons~

Anyways, Panarin and Chytil also went out with injuries and people are already squawking that "firing Jim Ramsay is creating more injuries!" and "Laviolette is running the team too hard in practice!" or the flip side "This is just proof Ramsay used to push injured players back out on the ice instead of letting them heal!" and "these players are all soft and will have to harden up to handle Laviolette's practices!"

love the preseason

There are enough bad opinions here, including my own, it’s wild you are spending anytime reading that nonsense. I would pull a veteran player out of a training camp if he got a hang nail.

Now with that being said, let me go through 20 different line combo possibilities….

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My opinions are always great and I've never been wrong about any player trajectories

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Preseason is hilarious

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Cory Schneider announced his retirement today. He'll be blocking pucks in heaven :dings:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Mr. Fish posted:

Cory Schneider announced his retirement today. He'll be blocking pucks in heaven :dings:

is he dead or retired?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if Canucks started Schneider in 2012. Kings put up 7 on Luongo in 2 games. Then only 4 on Schneider in 3 games.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I turn the Ranger-Isles game on a few minutes late and the Rangers already scored 3 lol

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

why so serious?

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

WeaponX posted:

I turn the Ranger-Isles game on a few minutes late and the Rangers already scored 3 lol

Isles in peak midseason form already I see

clean ayers act posted:

is he dead or retired?

Just retired, sorry if I got you nervous!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just splurged myself some tickets to the Pens at Caps opener on the 13th since it's close to my birthday. Front row of the 200s, center ice. Only other time I've been to capital one for hockey was in the 400s behind the net so this'll be a... bit of a step up.

Gonna be a lot of old talent on the ice. Old yes, but talented.

Look forward to seeing all you capitals brethren there

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Starsfan posted:

It used to be that teams would play their AHLers and prospects for the first few games (sprinkling in the bare minimum number of "NHL" players required by the rules) but now the trend seems to be play like 85% of your first team at home and when you're on the road you use the camp filler.. kind of an agreement between teams maybe to let everyone look good at home.. Kind of feels like these types of matchups lose most of their significance for roster evaluation in favor of just getting the veterans some easy reps against players from lower leagues but what do I know.
I'm guessing a lot of it is that the veteran players really don't want to travel for preseason games.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

:laugh:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
All the new Rangers looked good tonight.

Wheeler and Pitlik scored and I like Bonino a lot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

All the new Rangers looked good tonight.

Wheeler and Pitlik scored and I like Bonino a lot.

BONINO BONINO BONINO

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
pre-season doesn't matter etc etc but zach benson has looked extremely good so far. i'm still surprised he lasted until pick 13

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Carnie racism

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Starsfan posted:

It always made those first 2-3 games kind of boring though. There might be something to forcing rookies or plugs to sink or swim. Maybe you see more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

By gawd, that’s Think Tank’s music !

“There it is Canucks fans, the moment you’ve been waiting a long time for: a 50 percent chance at making the playoffs. Bask in it.”

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Unsurprisingly the Pens got shelled. Ned held the fort for a long while before a 5-3 led to goals against. Friedman isn't a good Pker, but whatever. Smith was barely noticeable in a positive way. Thanks Ron. Otherwise solid job creating some opportunities and staying in the game with Zahorna and Puustinen being the major standout players up front. Good enough not too much learned other than confirming a lot of what was already known.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/hockeyfeedhf/status/1706675746930860529?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Sometimes acquiring all the pieces of poo poo in the league doesn’t pay off

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

A 50% chance of making the playoffs means a 10% chance of making the playoffs and a 90% chance of going all-in at the deadline.

I dunno if Kuzmenko picked it up late last season but the eye test showed he was benefitting a lot from Pettersson. I mean, sure, getting open down low and being a target is a skill, I just have my doubts that he's the #2 driver on the team. Then again, looking at the rest of the lineup, maybe he is.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

I dunno if Kuzmenko picked it up late last season but the eye test showed he was benefitting a lot from Pettersson. I mean, sure, getting open down low and being a target is a skill, I just have my doubts that he's the #2 driver on the team. Then again, looking at the rest of the lineup, maybe he is.

Kuzmenko had the highest single season shooting percentage in history last year. Either he's the greatest sniper ever, or he's a 20 goal scorer. I think most would lean towards the latter.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/hockeyfeedhf/status/1706675746930860529?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Dirty Burger posted:

Trust Rod

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey, Burns broke it up so getting at least one league shitbag worked out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's always funny when teammates fight in practice. Imagine getting so mad at a coworker you beat them up and your boss praises you for it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't really hate certain teams like I used to. Except Carolina.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Don Cherry is vindicated once again

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

It's always funny when teammates fight in practice. Imagine getting so mad at a coworker you beat them up and your boss praises you for it.

I imagine this daily.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Why would Bunting even bother with a guy like Lemieux, all you gotta do is say "hey I had nearly as many points in a season as you have your whole career" and skate on
leave the punching for the punchmen

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
1. Lemieuxs are mammals.
2. Lemieuxs fight ALL THE TIME.
3. The purpose of the Lemieux is to flip out and punch people.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm just impressed Lemieux has hung around this long. If pressed I'd have guessed he'd last played in 2020.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Every time Brendan Lemieux comes up, I immediately think of him biting Brady Tkachuk and smile.

https://youtu.be/7YNaQlGV9lI?si=QQM7eHfFy8km6SKv

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

They really have started to get a little obnoxious, and I still like them even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

I'm just impressed Lemieux has hung around this long. If pressed I'd have guessed he'd last played in 2020.

He is very good at driving other players insane and drawing penalties. He is also very good at taking bad penalties. He isn’t a total liability offensively but is a total liability with how much he gets himself suspended. Soooo it’s mostly because his last name is Lemieux.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 27, 2023