Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

WGA TA is out. quick skim of the MOA summary on their website makes it look like they got just about everything they wanted. maybe not the staffing parts? but the AI portion is pretty conclusive - studios basically can’t use AI in any way that replaces a writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

WGA TA is out. quick skim of the MOA summary on their website makes it look like they got just about everything they wanted. maybe not the staffing parts? but the AI portion is pretty conclusive - studios basically can’t use AI in any way that replaces a writer

studios cost themselves a half year of production for zero reason lmao.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

studios cost themselves a half year of production for zero reason lmao.

again, my read on this strike is that the studios bought the AI hype (likely, because they’re all credulous dumbasses) and thought the time was ripe to break the WGA once and for all and start the transition to an all-robot writer’s room. WGA called their bluff, studios put in a few months experimenting with AI-written or -assisted scripts, then panicked when they saw the results.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

again, my read on this strike is that the studios bought the AI hype (likely, because they’re all credulous dumbasses) and thought the time was ripe to break the WGA once and for all and start the transition to an all-robot writer’s room. WGA called their bluff, studios put in a few months experimenting with AI-written or -assisted scripts, then panicked when they saw the results.

I also think the Vibe of this strike was a lot different than 07. writers seemed United.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I hope the directors guild feels like the useless assholes they are for getting crumbs like "assistant director days are only 13 hours instead of 14" instead of supporting their weaker members with a real contract

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I wish IATSE had been able to sync up with WGA and SAG

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

I also think the Vibe of this strike was a lot different than 07. writers seemed United.

That, more public support, California on the edge of passing unemployment payments for strikers, they finally couldn't ignore that oh poo poo they actually don't have the upper hand. SAG will probably get a similar deal soon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

I wish IATSE had been able to sync up with WGA and SAG

IATSE is the weakest of the bunch. on the east coast they're basically a company union, not sure what the West Coast is like. also probably depends on what trade & local you're part of. they've done absolutely nothing for decades to meaningfully fight back against worsening work conditions on sets + the expansion of non-union PA roles encroaching on union labor. I don't work in movie production but have a lot of friends who do (or used to bc they got burned out mentally and physically to the point of just dropping the career) and have heard many horror stories

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

IATSE is the weakest of the bunch. on the east coast they're basically a company union, not sure what the West Coast is like. also probably depends on what trade & local you're part of. they've done absolutely nothing for decades to meaningfully fight back against worsening work conditions on sets + the expansion of non-union PA roles encroaching on union labor. I don't work in movie production but have a lot of friends who do (or used to bc they got burned out mentally and physically to the point of just dropping the career) and have heard many horror stories

my understanding is that IATSE members who do Broadway / Classical in NYC have great pay / bennies but the hours are terrible, and it's controlled by 2 families. I think it's much worse in film

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
iatse isnt really set up to take actions like this because every local has a different contract with every venue, not really with the companies putting on the shows. not sure exactly how it works with movies in la, but i don't think all of local 1 in nyc could strike all of broadway, its dozens of separate contracts.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

pink noise posted:

iatse isnt really set up to take actions like this because every local has a different contract with every venue, not really with the companies putting on the shows. not sure exactly how it works with movies in la, but i don't think all of local 1 in nyc could strike all of broadway, its dozens of separate contracts.

it's how all of classical music is set up in the USA - stage artists, orchestras, techs, etc each in their own union with their own contract with their venue / management. it's terrible

at least with Equity and AFM the stage artists and orchestras have Broadway / Off-Broadway / Tour / etc CBAs

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

webcams for christ posted:

it's how all of classical music is set up in the USA - stage artists, orchestras, techs, etc each in their own union with their own contract with their venue / management. it's terrible

at least with Equity and AFM the stage artists and orchestras have Broadway / Off-Broadway / Tour / etc CBAs

it makes sense in some ways. this theater has a big orchestra pit and complex fly rail, the musicians and riggers need different terms compared to that other blackbox with no pit or rigging. but yea, it means a company like live nation never has to negotiate with the unions to put on their international stadium tours, so the strength of the iatse locals in nyc, la, chicago, have no influence anywhere else.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

pink noise posted:

it makes sense in some ways. this theater has a big orchestra pit and complex fly rail, the musicians and riggers need different terms compared to that other blackbox with no pit or rigging. but yea, it means a company like live nation never has to negotiate with the unions to put on their international stadium tours, so the strength of the iatse locals in nyc, la, chicago, have no influence anywhere else.

for the first arg- Germany has an order of magnitude more theater performances per year in a wide array of large - small & modern - ancient theaters with industry and nationwide CBAs. it's not that hard. it's like saying that Marvel/Green Screen actors need a different SAG CBA than Ethan Hawk when he does a low budget indie film on 35mm film or w/e

geography does have a big impact but even if you're in Little Rock Arkansas at their one Equity theater, you're on the equity CBA. vs classical music with AGMA who has no nationwide bargaining

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
it could certainly be better, but it was initially organized this way in the 19th century

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

pink noise posted:

it could certainly be better, but it was initially organized this way in the 19th century

yeah, and folks are starting to agitate. I know of a ballet company in my region that went AWOL against their own union and ran wildcat actions with the organizational help of the largest construction / utilities union and they won a 20% pay bump. still small and mostly not out in the open, but lots of folks at old institutions with old structures are feeling like they are backed into a corner without much more to lose

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its cuz iatse has been run by the mob and studio owners from the 1930s and they are structured this way to extract maximum dues with limited class struggle. worsening labor conditions will probably cause from further internal fissures or alternative unions/organizations will take up the fight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

yeah, and folks are starting to agitate. I know of a ballet company in my region that went AWOL against their own union and ran wildcat actions with the organizational help of the largest construction / utilities union and they won a 20% pay bump. still small and mostly not out in the open, but lots of folks at old institutions with old structures are feeling like they are backed into a corner without much more to lose

Sick

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

In Training posted:

its cuz iatse has been run by the mob and studio owners from the 1930s and they are structured this way to extract maximum dues with limited class struggle. worsening labor conditions will probably cause from further internal fissures or alternative unions/organizations will take up the fight

the difference between iatse and teamsters isnt how corrupt their leadership used to be. the teamsters have the exact same kinds of contracts in entertainment.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I am local 700, the editors guild under iatse. the big thing is that each local’s leadership has different views on how bad conditions are and how much is worth fighting over. My local was extremely organized and pushed hard to strike at the last contract negotiation but got out-voted by other locals who “just wanted to work”. Also the voting system is electoral college which is honestly hosed. A lot of people also blamed the IATSE negotiator for rolling over. My locals prez is a badass lady and they let her back on the council last year so she’s been monkeying with the procedures and bylaws to set us up for a better fight next year. Fingers crossed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Something Else posted:

I am local 700, the editors guild under iatse. the big thing is that each local’s leadership has different views on how bad conditions are and how much is worth fighting over. My local was extremely organized and pushed hard to strike at the last contract negotiation but got out-voted by other locals who “just wanted to work”. Also the voting system is electoral college which is honestly hosed. A lot of people also blamed the IATSE negotiator for rolling over. My locals prez is a badass lady and they let her back on the council last year so she’s been monkeying with the procedures and bylaws to set us up for a better fight next year. Fingers crossed

yeah didn't the iatse TA get voted down by like 49.5% to 50.5% but won on EC style weighted locals?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

well made pro-union propaganda making a comeback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fVc8kmR3ds

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In Training posted:

yeah didn't the iatse TA get voted down by like 49.5% to 50.5% but won on EC style weighted locals?

Exactly

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

so apparently Trump isn’t actually addressing striking union workers tonight

he’s addressing scabs

may I say: lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so apparently Trump isn’t actually addressing striking union workers tonight

he’s addressing scabs

may I say: lmao

I thought it was just a non-union shop (is that the same thing as scabs??)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I thought it was just a non-union shop (is that the same thing as scabs??)

I think it’s just non union yeah. scab anyone doing the work of striking workers, the worst thing you can do in a workplace.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

as far as I’m concerned non union auto workers are scabbing right now but fine, technically he was visiting a non union plant. still: lmao

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
is this good

https://twitter.com/SBWorkersUnited/status/1707517138708181239

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.inferse.com/732634/news-us-labour-board-gloves-off-stance-threatens-amazon-e-theloadstar-com/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
wait, increased benefits for non-union stores by providing... credit card tipping? what the gently caress

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Xaris posted:

wait, increased benefits for non-union stores by providing... credit card tipping? what the gently caress

yah for a long time you could only tip in cash, and who uses that. one of the earliest union demands was tipping via credit card. so they rolled it out… only to non-union stores.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

kingcobweb posted:

yah for a long time you could only tip in cash, and who uses that. one of the earliest union demands was tipping via credit card. so they rolled it out… only to non-union stores.
i thought they always had machines that let you tip via credit card on the on screen display? maybe i'm thinking of Peets or literally every other coffee shop for the last 10+ years

anyways that's significantly less nefarious than what I thought it meant when I read it, so ok that's not as bad. i was thinking it implied that they weren't distributing credit card tips to the baristas in union stores but were for non-union stores. schultz wins this one

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:59 on Sep 29, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

UAW strike expanding to 7000 Ford & GM workers in Midwest, sounds like Stellantis came to the table this week in a significant way

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJwPfRASeII&t=960s

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Xaris posted:

i thought they always had machines that let you tip via credit card on the on screen display? maybe i'm thinking of Peets or literally every other coffee shop for the last 10+ years

anyways that's significantly less nefarious than what I thought it meant when I read it, so ok that's not as bad. i was thinking it implied that they weren't distributing credit card tips to the baristas in union stores but were for non-union stores. schultz wins this one

They are denying the ability to accept credit card tips at stores that unionized before an arbitrary date sometime through 2022. Some stores even got it for like a day or two and then it turned back off, so they couldn't even implement their illegal solution without goofing it up a bit. Without going too much into specifics, credit card tips have created a noticeable bump in paycheck size at my store (we unionized after the arbitrary date), and many of the stores being denied are in dense high-traffic areas that would almost certainly stand to gain even more from their implementation. Like overnight paychecks could jump up a couple hundred bucks, and they've been denied that money for over a full year now. There was also just a straight-up raise they didn't get, either!

I'd like to be enthused about this decision but sbux has already said they're going to appeal and I know that's going to be another long, drawn-out fight where they basically say "nuh uh!" for months.

Geight has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Sep 29, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
petition against the LGBTQ Bar Association giving an award to a starbucks lawyer: https://act.aflcio.org/petitions/ho...ce=direct_link&

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattletimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fstarbucks-illegally-kept-wages-benefits-from-union-workers%2F

quote:

Starbucks has denied all legal wrongdoing in public statements and to labor board officials. It argued before the judge that giving the pay raises to unionized baristas would have been illegal because federal law prohibits the company from making unilateral changes to union workers’ jobs.

But Anzalone concluded this argument wasn’t lodged in good faith, and would require her to presume that Starbucks and its attorneys “so misapprehended basic labor law concepts that it considered itself compelled to deny wage and benefit increases on the basis of employees’ union activities,” she wrote in the decision.

tell em

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haha what a garbage excuse

"we so do want to give everyone raises but we cant single out unionized workers, so i guess that means we can only give raises to non-unionized workers!"

love to see the nlrb actually doing something about blatant bullshit like that, its more than i expected from america

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

"we so do want to give everyone raises but we cant single out unionized workers, so i guess that means we can only give raises to non-unionized workers!"

love to see the nlrb actually doing something about blatant bullshit like that, its more than i expected from america

it’s even worse than that. Starbucks is telling workers, “well we’d LOVE to give you more money but we can’t because of LABOR LAW” and anyone who knows something about labor law is like “you absolutely can that’s bullshit” so Starbucks is telling the judges “no YOU don’t LET ME do this” as the judges are like “yes we do??”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kingcobweb posted:

it’s even worse than that. Starbucks is telling workers, “well we’d LOVE to give you more money but we can’t because of LABOR LAW” and anyone who knows something about labor law is like “you absolutely can that’s bullshit” so Starbucks is telling the judges “no YOU don’t LET ME do this” as the judges are like “yes we do??”

christ..

but im stoked it didnt work out :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Carthag Tuek posted:

it's a fabulously brazen argument that has no chance of getting past the NLRB