Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

imo it would've been better if it was a solo duty. it'd let the game call out the line changes better and also give you a sort of measuring stick of how far you've come as the protagonist (this guy that took seven other dudes to take on last time? now you can basically handle him solo).

ofc if they wanted to do that it probably would've come with the ARR msq touchups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mainwaring posted:

Making you do an old level 50 fight during Heavensward is just silly. If they wanted to do it like that they should have made it a solo duty or cut the whole fight bit.

The whole point is you're fighting a weak version of Titan. You could easily unsync and solo the fight for that solo duty feel.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Haha yeah, it's a sad fight

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's also just not a big deal to be asked to do an easy story trial again, something you've probably done on your own a few dozen times with trial rou.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Mainwaring posted:

No it's still really stupid, a tiny bit of dialogue doesn't fix it

Yeah I mean the actual mechanics of the fight could be improved. I was more speaking to the understandable reaction of "AGAIN?" when the game tells you it's time to fight Titan in patch 3.2 or whatever

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Shadowbringers I don't think anyone had that reaction to Eden 4 though, lol. What a good fight

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

johnny park posted:

Shadowbringers I don't think anyone had that reaction to Eden 4 though, lol. What a good fight

I'm still convinced Soken listened to a bunch of Prodigy albums before doing the music for that and the fights immediately before and after it.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Urianger whips loving rear end lmao. I always liked him but THANK you for sacrificing Minfilia Absolutely based lmfao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
It’s crazy it took 200+ hours for the story to get good but I stuck with it lol

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That Little Demon posted:

Urianger whips loving rear end lmao. I always liked him but THANK you for sacrificing Minfilia Absolutely based lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4p1Lg0Y9A&pp=ygUNdXJpYW5nZXIgbWVtZQ%3D%3D

(spoilers for people who aren't in late HW)

edit: broke the embed because thumbnail kinda spoilery too

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah once you power through all the worldbuilding in ARR the story never really hits those gameplay and narrative lows again. Some people dislike Stormblood but tbh I like it better than Heavensward. Based on the stuff you've liked about FF14 so far I have a feeling you're gonna like SB, TLD

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I had my issues with parts of StB but in hindsight I had a good time

Also Eureka fuckin owns

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

My biggest criticism of Stormblood at the time was that I felt Zenos' sudden appearance and unexplained overwhelming strength felt a bit forced/contrived and I didn't really like him, but they really knew what they were doing with that character

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

johnny park posted:

My biggest criticism of Stormblood at the time was that I felt Zenos' sudden appearance and unexplained overwhelming strength felt a bit forced/contrived and I didn't really like him, but they really knew what they were doing with that character

I actually liked that Zenos was that strong, both because it makes the world feel bigger and cut down on the idea that the WoL is literally the strongest being in existence.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

That Little Demon posted:

How about the fuckin' FACE reveal for Urianger, too. Pretty sure this plotline is the first time we see him without hood and goggles.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

I actually liked that Zenos was that strong, both because it makes the world feel bigger and cut down on the idea that the WoL is literally the strongest being in existence.

Sure but at that point we had (canonically) defeated the god-king Thordan and all of the transformed Heaven's Ward singlehandedly, so the story had definitely established that the wol was really really really strong. So for Zenos to show up with no foreshadowing and literally just toy with us was a bit jarring imo

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

johnny park posted:

Sure but at that point we had (canonically) defeated the god-king Thordan and all of the transformed Heaven's Ward singlehandedly, so the story had definitely established that the wol was really really really strong. So for Zenos to show up with no foreshadowing and literally just toy with us was a bit jarring imo

That's the point though. The very fact that you're going "wtf how is he so strong" is exactly the feeling you're meant to be feeling at that point. I'm the Warrior of Goddamn Light! I eat Gods for Lunch! And this rear end in a top hat shows up and chumps me? Hax!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I feel like I need to go back and NG+ the whole Heavensward experience now.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
StB: We knew more foes like Gaius had to exist. He was one legion that was practically stranded and he was fighting an alliance of 3+ nations simultaneously and doing pretty well at it and when we fight him he empowers himself by sheer magitek/.. jokingly but not really sheer force of will into a raid boss. It's also an authority = rear end kicking setting so whoever was at the head of the Empire was going to be a big deal. I also appreciate that forces arose that the WoL can't assume narratively they'll always triumph over. Meta-narratively well yeah, it's a video game designed with success points to progress and no permadeath.. but you get the idea!

The real point of contention is that Square writes very specific You Must Lose villain encounters for story building and if you don't like a specific one you never will.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Did my first runs through a treasure map dungeon today.

That's some fun stuff

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

johnny park posted:

"I defeated an impressive sounding enemy, therefore that should be the end of it and no other singular force should be able to challenge me" is an insane loving thought to have imo. Have you ever encountered like, escalation before?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

my brother in christ that isn't even remotely what I said lol. I said I don't like that he toys with the wol and that he defeats the wol with minimal effort, not that I dislike that the wol was challenged or defeated period

I love this game but people get SO defensive of it that they literally don't even read lol

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Neo_Crimson posted:

The one thing I would change about Stormblood would be that we'd hear about Zenos in the leadup to Stormblood before actually meeting him. For example, Yugiri describing how they didn't lose to the Garlean army, no they beat their asses - but then this one guy showed up after the battle was almost won and just singlehandedly destroyed the entire Doman rebellion. Because I do like that Zenos is a thing and he makes the world feel bigger, but I also wish that he was part of the worldbuilding before Stormblood.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GilliamYaeger posted:

The one thing I would change about Stormblood would be that we'd hear about Zenos in the leadup to Stormblood before actually meeting him. For example, Yugiri describing how they didn't lose to the Garlean army, no they beat their asses - but then this one guy showed up after the battle was almost won and just singlehandedly destroyed the entire Doman rebellion. Because I do like that Zenos is a thing and he makes the world feel bigger, but I also wish that he was part of the worldbuilding before Stormblood.
The one thing I would change would be giving Lyse's roll in the story to Raubahn. There's an ARR character who absolutely deserves a story arc about a legendary warrior only coming back to their home when their hand was forced, and needing to grapple with their legacy and whether they can live up to it and make things right... and it's not Boring Yda.

It'd also make (post-Stormblood spoilers) Fordola an actually interesting foil, with both of them as Ala Mhigans who fell in with a larger power and got wrapped up in the politics. Make something of the primary difference between them being that Raubahn got the support of a good person like Nanamo while Fordola only had negative influences twisting her more and more, and not only do they make good foils, it also serves as foreshadowing for Raubahn's internal conflict about whether or not he's abandoning Nanamo by leaving her to return to lead his homeland. It'd also make Fordola getting a second chance in 4.1 actually make sense. Lyse doing it always felt paper-thin, but if Raubahn did it, it'd be very easy to make it about how he sees her as "how I'd have turned out if things had gone even slightly differently."

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 27, 2023

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Shinjobi posted:

Also Eureka fuckin owns

:yeah:

Krile Krew is still running! If you're interested in progressing through Eureka/Bozja with the help of experienced and knowledgeable folks, we're here to help! We can get you through Eureka from elvl 1-60 in about 9 hours total across 4 saturday evenings.

We've also added BLU content to our weekly schedule! Saturday evening Eureka, Sunday evening BLU mage! No experience required to join and we're always happy to assist completely fresh people with forays or BLU mage!

We operate on the Excalibur server on Primal, so you must be from a NA datacenter to participate! https://discord.gg/9FjjDQthhF

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Players new and old, if you want to do Eureka, get with Frida. Krile Krew is legit.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

When does the last tier of tome gear(augmented credendum in this case) become available for poetics? Does it usually drop with the expansion or sometime before/after?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

When the new expansion comes out. So when EW came out, we got aug cryptlurker.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
This was my first time playing the expansion as it was released, is the normal raid set the one that gets augmented? I haven't been running any savages, so the only pieces I've been upgrading are the relic set and the weird token thing they do for weapons.

Though the poster above said augmented credendum, which means it's the highest end token gear right now? I've only got one role fully equipped with the credendum stuff, everyone else has normal raid gear.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Duodecimal posted:

This was my first time playing the expansion as it was released, is the normal raid set the one that gets augmented? I haven't been running any savages, so the only pieces I've been upgrading are the relic set and the weird token thing they do for weapons.

Though the poster above said augmented credendum, which means it's the highest end token gear right now? I've only got one role fully equipped with the credendum stuff, everyone else has normal raid gear.

Default token gear is 10ilvl lower than the gear that drops from savage raids released at the same time but you can augment the token gear to make it equivalent ilvl. Once the next expansion releases it's that augmented token gear that becomes buyable with poetics.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I was wondering if it there was any advantage to spending months gearing up/augmenting all my favs leading up to Dawntrail, though now it looks like I'll prob just stick to 2 or 3 jobs.

on that note, I'm looking forward to corsair #ninjaproblems

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Duodecimal posted:

Normal raid gear cannot be upgraded. The upgraded, dyeable +20IL version drops in Savage. This will not change with patches.

Once 6.5 hits on Tuesday you'll be able to upgrade a single Credendum piece to Augmented Credendum every week by using Alliance raid coins. E: You can also get upgrade tokens in Savage, which is how people get them currently.

In 6.58 the one/week restriction on Alliance and Savage raid drops will be removed and you can farm coins and other drops freely.

In 7.0 you'll be able to buy Augmented Credendum for poetics.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 27, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Speaking of gear and getting ready for 7.0, I'm coming up on finally hitting level 90 omnicrafter but probably won't bother doing any of the grinds for splendorous tools since I'm pretty far behind. What's the deal with 6.x crafting gear carrying over to 7.0, will purple scrip gear be sufficient for leveling or is there something else I should be aiming for like a crafted set?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Xerophyte posted:

Once 6.5 hits on Tuesday you'll be able to upgrade a single Credendum piece to Augmented Credendum every week by using Alliance raid coins. E: You can also get upgrade tokens in Savage, which is how people get them currently.

In 6.58 the one/week restriction on Alliance and Savage raid drops will be removed and you can farm coins and other drops freely.
Adding to this: The upgrade materials for armor and accessories will also be available for Sacks of Nuts, the hunt mark currency. The upgrade material for tomestone weapons will be available via alliance raid coins in a later patch, probably 6.58 when the alliance raid drop restriction is lifted.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

iPodschun posted:

Adding to this: The upgrade materials for armor and accessories will also be available for Sacks of Nuts, the hunt mark currency. The upgrade material for tomestone weapons will be available via alliance raid coins in a later patch, probably 6.58 when the alliance raid drop restriction is lifted.

Right, thank you. I always forget about the hunt path to upgrades, since I never use it myself. In total the "endgame" gearing ladder in 6.5 and after is going to look like this, if I didn't forget anything:

Armor
640: Crafted, Normal Raid Set
650: Augmented Crafted (Crafted + Causality), Credendum (Comedy), Alliance Raid Set (leftside only)
660: Savage Raid Set, Augmented Credendum (Comedy + Savage, Alliance or Hunts)

Weapon
640: Crafted
645: Relic 3 (Causality), 6.4 Extreme Trial
650: Augmented Crafted (Crafted + Causality), Normal Raid + Comedy
655: 6.5 Extreme Trial
660: Augmented 650 raid (Savage. Alliance & Hunts in 6.58)
665: Relic 4 (in 6.55. Causality), Savage

E:

quiggy posted:

Speaking of gear and getting ready for 7.0, I'm coming up on finally hitting level 90 omnicrafter but probably won't bother doing any of the grinds for splendorous tools since I'm pretty far behind. What's the deal with 6.x crafting gear carrying over to 7.0, will purple scrip gear be sufficient for leveling or is there something else I should be aiming for like a crafted set?

The scrip gear will be more than sufficient for leveling in 7.0. The crafted set is only better than the scrip stuff if you overmeld it, which is only worth doing at this point if you intend to craft a lot of end game equipment in 6.5. Or if you really like more numbers and don't mind spending a few million on them, I guess.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 27, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

quiggy posted:

The latest scrip gear will be more than ample to cover the entire 80-90 range, and still be good enough for you to craft your 90 set.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Poppers posted:

Anyone play on a new Mac? I don't really want to get a PC to play but my home computer is due for an upgrade at some point.

Only new-ish, but I play on a 2021 Mac mini with Ventura (haven't upgraded to Sonoma yet) and it works just fine. You'll want to look for XIV on Mac, which I've found more stable and easier to use than the official Mac client.

Also, (StB and EW spoilers related to the discussion in the last few posts) my main objection to Zenos is not that he's stronger than the WoL, but that he's so goddamn boring as an antagonist. He's got no personality beyond "me strong, fight me WoL." My favorite Zenos scene is the one in EW where Jullus calls him out for being completely useless as Emperor and Zenos just stares at him like a golden retriever being scolded.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

on the other hand, him as a giant world-ending wyrm glancing sidelong at the avatar of entropic despair and going "lmao, you haven't killed this thing yet?" is pretty funny

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think that one's a bit too recent for this topic, spoiler tags or no, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

johnny park posted:

my brother in christ that isn't even remotely what I said lol. I said I don't like that he toys with the wol and that he defeats the wol with minimal effort, not that I dislike that the wol was challenged or defeated period

I love this game but people get SO defensive of it that they literally don't even read lol

I have no idea how your complaint is any materially different from what I said.