Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mr. Pickles posted:

In truth all I want is to keep playing the game and the only mode Im willing to pour hours into atm is Hardcore, but I dont wanna play that and die in a cave by almost invisible arrows fired from offscreen

i just ran a sorc, up until the latest balance patch considered the squishiest class, to 100 in HC with a mediocre build and was never in any danger from corpse bows or red ghosts or the butcher, who i could face tank at 10+ levels higher than myself

if you don’t ignore defensive nodes in your paragon and you have 3 or 4 defensive stats on your chest and legs, you’re absolutely fine. it’s a fun/knowledge tax to have to build that way, but that’s HC in general

bamhand posted:

I mean you can call it whatever you want. It's just longer for people to type out "D4 is not an EA game but it has less content and less thought through design than a game that is literally in EA."

unfinished is pretty quick to type too. seems weird that people keep trying to co-opt a word with a distinct and different meaning instead. maybe it’s a roguelike vs roguelite thing and it’s a lost cause

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

I hate it when people call d4 early access because you are giving the devs too much slack. You are implying they rushed it out the door when some of the things that suck rear end in this game were intentional design decisions brought on by D2 grognards. Loot sucking and experience taking forever are both intentional callbacks.

No I don't think blizz cares about d2 grognards at all, d2r isn't even getting a patch for next ladder. They just made it bad on accident

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Failboattootoot posted:

I hate it when people call d4 early access because you are giving the devs too much slack. You are implying they rushed it out the door when some of the things that suck rear end in this game were intentional design decisions brought on by D2 grognards. Loot sucking and experience taking forever are both intentional callbacks.

It's not even like D2 because in that game you can easily power a character up to 70 in a few hours if you know what you're doing, and some of the best loot are in easily accessible runewords. Everything about D4 is like an MMO because its lead developers all come from WoW and think gated content on weekly resets with a chance to drop ilvl 803 gear instead of ilvl 776 is complete awesomesauce amazeballs.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ehud posted:

you deal 0.7% - 4.1% increased shadow damage for each vulnerable enemy within 7 yards whose total HP is a prime number

More conditional qualifiers than a Democrat “support” plan

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Failboattootoot posted:

It changed hands several times and most people who began development quit over it. It's been gridlocked for years and people tasked with making it into a releasable product were asking for more time to figure the game out.

I wouldn't poo poo on devs because that company is severely mismanaged.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

exquisite tea posted:

gated content on weekly resets with a chance to drop ilvl 803 gear instead of ilvl 776 is complete awesomesauce amazeballs.

Where do you see design elements like this in Diablo 4?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Who put Kamala Harris in charge of D4?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

:eyepop:

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Where do you see design elements like this in Diablo 4?

tbf the weekly reset cache system for world bosses has no place in an arpg

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

harrygomm posted:

tbf the weekly reset cache system for world bosses has no place in an arpg

Absolutely. It's especially silly since the rewards are straight garbage

Makes 'em easier to ignore, but I'd rather the rewards be GOOD and also have no weekly reset

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
or like make the cache a much higher chance to drop the mount/mount armor. the idea of giving otherwise geared players another carrot to do stuff that might not be 100% optimal to keep activities populated isn’ta bad idea natively. it’s what keeps things like old dungeons in FF14 populated, the roulette works well for that.

but that’s an MMO brained take that they just didn’t adapt to ARPG. you probably shouldn’t need to encourage people to kill bosses for loot in diablo

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

harrygomm posted:

or like make the cache a much higher chance to drop the mount/mount armor. the idea of giving otherwise geared players another carrot to do stuff that might not be 100% optimal to keep activities populated isn’ta bad idea natively. it’s what keeps things like old dungeons in FF14 populated, the roulette works well for that.

but that’s an MMO brained take that they just didn’t adapt to ARPG. you probably shouldn’t need to encourage people to kill bosses for loot in diablo

i feel like they had this very nascent idea about different activity offering different rewards and then just smashed it near the end of development. there was a short time where people were actually incentivized to do cellars or hunt super-elites in the world for alchemy reagents, and then they increased the drop rate and it became moot. item slot targetting and mob type exists but was never really meaningful. they could have done a lot more of this but they went the other direction which seems counter-productive in a game with tons and tons of worthless world content and not much of an end game

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
The games a mess from every angle. Who cares if it was mismanagement or any other reason - it's irrelevant.

If you truly think this will get turned into anything other than a polished turd I have several gallons of fresh breast milk to sell you.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
idk i think the art direction is pretty good all around. just killing poo poo is pretty satisfying too. some of the boss fights are neat

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

When this 4hr campfire chat drops there's gonna be so much egg on faces

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Holy poo poo, four hours is way too long

There's no possible way they have anything worth saying past the 45 minute mark

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Honey Im Homme posted:

When this 4hr campfire chat drops there's gonna be so much egg on faces

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

i bet we're getting 2 hours of rod talk and 2 hours (god willing) for the devs to talk without rod

if it's a full 4 hours of rod lol god help us all

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I doubt they'll be through the Diablo Immortal segments by then.

BlizCon is coming up first week of November and something tells me that every good announcement they have will be saved until then. S2 is stuff they had planned before the launch fiasco, as they've stated most of the first big changes will land season 3.

Maybe they'll announce the long awaited hearthstone x Diablo crossover now that HS is rumorly approaching the end of its wild ride.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Shodai posted:

The games a mess from every angle. Who cares if it was mismanagement or any other reason - it's irrelevant.

If you truly think this will get turned into anything other than a polished turd I have several gallons of fresh breast milk to sell you.

Eh, they turned D3 around so it's possible they sort this out too. I would be very impressed/surprised if they managed this before an expansion though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

KazigluBey posted:

I mean, even if this is 100% it, I still find it odd that a game that's as old as D3 does the numbers it still does on Twitch, vs D4.

Boy, you are gonna be shocked when you hear about CSGO and League of Legends.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

Eh, they turned D3 around so it's possible they sort this out too. I would be very impressed/surprised if they managed this before an expansion though.

All that talent has been long gone though. Unless you think a bunch of Full Sail grads can fix D4.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I've worked with some very talented Fullsail grads.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’ve seen the games people formerly of blizzard have made and i’m surprised they are the same people who made D1 and D2

there are probably people there that could change things for the better. there was the small team who understood the D2R assignment well enough to both port and implement positive changes. i don’t think the context is the same for D4, but there is clearly talent at the company (though i think that was VV who also has people leave)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Many, even most games that achieved classic status did so via happy accidents.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Barreft posted:

All that talent has been long gone though. Unless you think a bunch of Full Sail grads can fix D4.

Man at this point I'd have more faith in them than blizzard people, even the old ones people put on pedestals.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

harrygomm posted:

if you don’t ignore defensive nodes in your paragon and you have 3 or 4 defensive stats on your chest and legs, you’re absolutely fine. it’s a fun/knowledge tax to have to build that way, but that’s HC in general

That is interesting, also Congrats! Did you play on Eternal? Im thinking Eternal is better, because HC sucks if you start from 0 renown. 9 potions and a few skill ups from the get-go go a long a way

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The visual and sound design people at blizzard made this poo poo fly to superlative reviews though.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Looks like game is gonna be better in S2 whereas Season1 features are complete buffoonery

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mr. Pickles posted:

That is interesting, also Congrats! Did you play on Eternal? Im thinking Eternal is better, because HC sucks if you start from 0 renown. 9 potions and a few skill ups from the get-go go a long a way

i did it on seasonal and it was admittedly not my first character, so the points, potions, statues all being unlocked did make the early game easier. even still, and i know counter to most people’s experience with sorc, i found the run up to 50/60 range to be the slowest and hardest part. no risk for corpse bow one shots or other nonsense though, at least not with the same frequency as spamming NMD to level

one thing i saw that i liked, if you can spare the time or enjoy doing it, is focus on capping renown one zone at a time. that way if you die, you gotten a full zone of renown and statues done and saved for the next character. then on the new guy, go to a new zone to keep things fresh. idk maybe they’ll rebalance death prevention potions and scrolls so that is needed, but my experience was still more “i could have died if flame shield went off and my immune bubble went off and my death evasion procd and i didnt take those 9 seconds of immunity to use a potion/cooldown/scroll” so.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

harrygomm posted:

i did it on seasonal and it was admittedly not my first character, so the points, potions, statues all being unlocked did make the early game easier. even still, and i know counter to most people’s experience with sorc, i found the run up to 50/60 range to be the slowest and hardest part. no risk for corpse bow one shots or other nonsense though, at least not with the same frequency as spamming NMD to level

one thing i saw that i liked, if you can spare the time or enjoy doing it, is focus on capping renown one zone at a time. that way if you die, you gotten a full zone of renown and statues done and saved for the next character. then on the new guy, go to a new zone to keep things fresh. idk maybe they’ll rebalance death prevention potions and scrolls so that is needed, but my experience was still more “i could have died if flame shield went off and my immune bubble went off and my death evasion procd and i didnt take those 9 seconds of immunity to use a potion/cooldown/scroll” so.

To my experience, its that 50-60 bracket that gets you killed most times because T3 is a big step up in terms of difficulty, so characters are far more likely to get pwned when fresh from T2 at around 50

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

doomfunk posted:

I've worked with some very talented Fullsail grads.

could they convince the money men upstairs to stop being greedy shits who force out their products way too early and sell $20 skins in a game that costs $70 minimum? that's the wheelhouse that activision-blizzard needs

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Tonetta posted:

could they convince the money men upstairs to stop being greedy shits who force out their products way too early and sell $20 skins in a game that costs $70 minimum? that's the wheelhouse that activision-blizzard needs

People fail to realize that D4 was a great success. It make a fuckton of money already so the suits upstairs are content. Now all the devteam has to do is just laugh in everyone's face and provide bare minimum updates and support to the suckers who bought it until the time comes for the 1st expansion-cashgrab.

Like, all this pointless drama on streamer platforms, youtube and reddit and forums about how the game "should have been" or how it can "be improved" is nothing more than free promotion to them

4h fireside chat is a loud and clear "gently caress YOU" to everyone and a direct pass to youtubers and streamers to continue promoting the game for free, making twitch and utube pocket money

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 27, 2023

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I'm enjoying the game well enough, but I'm having the same feeling about it that I did with D3 - it's not deep enough to be that interesting to me long-term. Which is fine - if it's essentially a single-player game for me that I play through with my Sorceress and level up to 85 or whatever before I get bored, hourswise that's still been a fine value for my $70. But just like with D3 I'm yearning to return to PoE with limitless build potential and a hugely more fleshed-out endgame. (Which I realize isn't fair, given the relative ages of the two games, but that's the competition for player brainspace, so they have to know that.)

There are some truly baffling things I've come across, which may or may not have been the kind of things that the devs wanted more time to polish. For instance, I just had Sacred and Ancestral legendaries drop with the exact same aspect value, maxrolled. Why on earth did they decide to leave the same value range for two tiers of items and still have distinct icons in the inventory? Some overlap in the ranges, fine, I could see that, but why not have the ceiling for the Ancestral version be a bit higher than that for the Sacred version? It's just weird.

I guess that might fall into the same overall question I have of how the heck they managed to make some of the very same mistakes for D4 that they did with D3 and later corrected? Why not just learn from your prior iteration(s)? Why not learn from your competitors?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The thing I'm really struggling with is trying to get my glyphs expanded. Is there a trick to do it quicker or just drill through as many NMDs as possible?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The thing I'm really struggling with is trying to get my glyphs expanded. Is there a trick to do it quicker or just drill through as many NMDs as possible?

There is literally no other way to gain even 1 glyph XP, other than completing NMD. Higher NMD, more Glyph XP. This is also the only aspect of the game where others can boost you and you can boost others, I think. You wont get much XP when boosted in high tier NMDs, but you will rank up your Glyphs nicely.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
If they’re sticking with paragon board I hope whenever we get an xpac they give us more ways to level glyphs. Slamming NMDs suck, especially when you really start climbing and have to pay attention to affixes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Failboattootoot posted:

Loot in this game sucks infinitely more than in D2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

The initial story playthrough I enjoyed a lot and think they did a mostly good job of making it fun.

Not having a jewel tab out the gate is a very big indicator that it was rushed. Especially with the first season being additional gems, a loot filter would have fixed this as well I guess.

The camera zoom issue is really noticable the harder the NMD is. Boar changes start off screen and will one shot or knockdown. After getting destroyed by a pack of affix boars off screen in a random NMD I've sworn off HC until I can zoom out a bit.