Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Someday I'll learn more than the first 4 turns of the Nords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Someday I'll learn more than the first 4 turns of the Nords.

right? how the gently caress do you learn that thing. i don't have the patience. it took me a week just to learn sebring.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have never been able to grok that one. The lift-off oversteer just slays me.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Sunk Dunk posted:

right? how the gently caress do you learn that thing. i don't have the patience. it took me a week just to learn sebring.

you live in the german countryside and grow up driving on it i guess

or just drive around slowly a lot

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you've learned more than 4 other road tracks you've learned the equivalent of the Nordschleife already, stop letting yourself be intimidated.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Primarily, I'm extremely lazy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have everything up to Wehrseifen memorized because I always crash at Breidscheid

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do the n24 with goons and do like 5 hours that will teach you the track. And the meaning of fatigue.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Carth Dookie posted:

Holy poo poo the spec racer ford is hilarious.

I can't believe I've never raced it before - it feels really good to drive. A big lazy powerful go-kart. Guess I'm at the nordschleife this week.

It is quite fun, especially since the update that made it not be a serial killer anymore

MrYenko posted:

I have never been able to grok that one. The lift-off oversteer just slays me.

If you haven't driven it since it was updated (it has a sequential instead of an H-pattern now, that's when it got all its handling updates), It's a totally different car now, much tamer than it was before.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also less fun. If the car isn't trying to kill me in every corner what's the point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sunk Dunk posted:

You drive it endlessly and you don’t reset (iRacing helps with this by letting you reset to checkpoints instead of the start/finish line). You don’t want to be one of those people who is fast as hell in the first quarter of the track and then can’t stay on track for the rest of it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
You can also make use of active reset to work individual sections of the track if you're struggling with a particular spot

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Do the n24 with goons and do like 5 hours that will teach you the track. And the meaning of fatigue.

Not if you bin it on the first lap!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Also it's basically segments that are flat, segments where you lightly brake into every corner, and a couple of big braking zones. As long as you know the transition points you can be pretty fast without knowing each turn.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
random q - in high downforce cars, do you trail brake the same way as you do with low downforce cars? im assuming with high downforce you want to get off the brakes faster and let the aero get you through the corner at higher speeds, but im not sure how much i should be changing my braking technique

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i dont think i was meant to drive the super formula. it seems like in slow corners any amount of gas turns me into david spade - SPIN CITY

e: wait i dont think david spade was in spin city
e2: i was definitely thinking of just shoot me, which is also how i feel when driving the super formula

Sunk Dunk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 28, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Sunk Dunk posted:

i dont think i was meant to drive the super formula. it seems like in slow corners any amount of gas turns me into david spade - SPIN CITY

e: wait i dont think david spade was in spin city
e2: i was definitely thinking of just shoot me, which is also how i feel when driving the super formula

Av/post combo is pretty top tier.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah it is VERY twitchy in slow corners. You may want to try the indycar first, it'll teach you about proper throttle application without murdering you as fast

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/DannyBrennan72/status/1707804492207431692?s=20

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
netcode's a bitch

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

simply don't spin

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lol so this guy is complaining he didn't also wipe out the driver behind him when he lost control of his car for no good reason?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

kidcoelacanth posted:

simply don't spin

:hmmyes:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
anyone doing the iRacing Petit Le Mans next week?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
^^E: check the discord, I believe there are things happening for this there

Sunk Dunk posted:

anyone doing the iRacing Petit Le Mans next week?

I've had that happen a couple times on ovals where some accident happens and a car comes flying off the wall and right into my path and I have nowhere to go and some sort of magic happens where I get out of it with nothing and I chalk it up to the netcode gods giving me a get out of jail free card because it wasn't my fault and I wasn't involved so carry on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vando posted:

netcode's a bitch

Quite possibly the worst one I've ever had myself. Room for a third car between us, he's blinking on the inside, I get an instant 4x followed by a trip straight to the wall.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Sunk Dunk posted:

random q - in high downforce cars, do you trail brake the same way as you do with low downforce cars? im assuming with high downforce you want to get off the brakes faster and let the aero get you through the corner at higher speeds, but im not sure how much i should be changing my braking technique

I'm not the best driver but I trail brake in DF cars in the same way I do in GT cars, but its a little less aggressive depending on the car and corner. It feels like the car slows faster just off the throttle so it doesn't need as much brake to slow down, but trail braking in a DF car still loads the front and encourages the car to rotate in the same way it does in a non-GT car. The aero will give you a much higher apex speed to target and I do a more gradual "U" shaped line in a DF car vs a "V" in a GT car but still trailing the brakes all the way to apex.

If you aren't on it already garage61 is a great resource for free telemetry comparisons between yourself and some very very fast drivers, but I usually find it more beneficial to find someone ~1.5-2s faster than me vs the fastest driver on the service when do telemetry analysis.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Do we still have a goon league/series going?

Have been doing the Super Formula/Skippy/Falken GT4 Series/F3 & VRS Sprints this season. The SF is a beast and fun to drive

Looking at getting back into RBR too as some neat stages have been released recently and I just found out that it has VR implemented now

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 2, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gooncar is eternal get in the Discord.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

Gooncar is eternal get in the Discord.

Come post my lord.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Diet Crack posted:

Do we still have a goon league/series going?
Every Friday early evening (eastern US time) and every Sunday late afternoon (same).

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
https://streamable.com/1nlv3n

Doing my part to replant and regrow the poor overharvested LMP3s

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Nice.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
iracing single handedly carrying sim racing

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Heat 5 so bad it made NASCAR get iRacing to make NR2025.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Indycar when

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Woah that's pretty cool

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

just console :( I'd like to not pay monthly to run ai tracks.. I alwasy start and run for a bit then give up and do AI or just let my sub lapse

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
That could be a huge step towards an engine (or at least graphical) overhaul. I'd play the poo poo out of it either way. Basically NR2003, the best official NASCAR game, 22 years later lol.

Also am I nuts or is the default pit crew guy the same voice as from NR2003?

That corner on Okayama is a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tater_salad posted:

just console :( I'd like to not pay monthly to run ai tracks.. I alwasy start and run for a bit then give up and do AI or just let my sub lapse

It says Steam right on the format list.