Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The near recent gently caress ups is why I've been doing the lowest tier to get the pledge manager, saved me some the rat queens fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Azubah posted:

The near recent gently caress ups is why I've been doing the lowest tier to get the pledge manager, saved me some the rat queens fiasco.

Yeah, I got in on that. I don’t know if we’ll ever see a game at this point.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Desfore posted:

Yeah, I pledged to MonsterPocalypse, before people were REALLY weary of Mythic, but also at the point where they were already 3-4 projects behind. Thankfully, I only pledged at the $100 tier on Kickstarter, and I wasn't charged for the add-ons I ordered during the PledgeManager (as far as I can tell checking the GameFound page, and running through my bank statements & PayPal), because it was locked by GF due to all the questionable poo poo going on with Mythic. I can deal with losing $100 and seeing how bad poo poo turns out if/when they get around to actually producing MP, but if those charges had gone through and I was $600+ invested into this thing... I think that's the most I have ever planned on spending for a KS project, and this experience has really soured me on going above $100~$150 for anything from then on. Saved me from jumping in on RivenStone!

yeah the add on tidal wave is a bit much for a lot of these games. I was checking out the MH Iceworld pledge manager the other day and SFG had added another 2-3 ~$100 packs. and ITO's campaigns are each like $500+ easily.

oh and it reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyEffhRyQFI

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Funzo posted:

Yeah, I got in on that. I don’t know if we’ll ever see a game at this point.

The epilogue to the comic comes out this week, so it seems like Rat Queens is over as a property. Certainly won't help anyone push the game to get a release

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The epilogue to the comic comes out this week, so it seems like Rat Queens is over as a property. Certainly won't help anyone push the game to get a release
Oh wow, did that continue? It went completely off my radar after the spousal abuser got fired.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CODChimera posted:

yeah the add on tidal wave is a bit much for a lot of these games. I was checking out the MH Iceworld pledge manager the other day and SFG had added another 2-3 ~$100 packs. and ITO's campaigns are each like $500+ easily.

I understand that for a lot of this multi-box monstrosities there is a large portion of people who are just backing for the minis to paint.

I'd honestly be curious if there are any Goons who have gone all-in on one of these multi-box campaigns cause they thought there was a good game hiding under the 20 shelves of Kallax space you have to give up for them.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Infinitum posted:

I understand that for a lot of this multi-box monstrosities there is a large portion of people who are just backing for the minis to paint.

If anything it’s kept the supply of bulk miniatures from AliExpress varied and dirt cheap.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Oh wow, did that continue? It went completely off my radar after the spousal abuser got fired.

He's back, baby!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

He's back, baby!
Wait what.

I feel like I've missed a few steps. They rehired the abusive artist? How'd that go for them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

I'd honestly be curious if there are any Goons who have gone all-in on one of these multi-box campaigns cause they thought there was a good game hiding under the 20 shelves of Kallax space you have to give up for them.

Do you include Cthulhu Wars in that? Because there's a very good game there behind all the bling.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Infinitum posted:

I kinda liked the MHW, and still play it solo, and there's still a lot of content that I need to go through. I think going for the all-in pledge was still excessive, but I liked the system when I read the rules, and I still like it, even though I'm not in love with some of the random events that you can get. I like the combat system in it because of how the damage decks work, the weapon sharpness system is pretty cool, and the stamina system works relatively well in forcing you to space yourself and performing actions that swap aggro around when you are in trouble, since the resource for doing damage and avoiding incoming damage is the system, so there's a careful balancing act.

On the other hand, I have enough game already that I felt no need to get the MH Iceworld stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

Do you include Cthulhu Wars in that? Because there's a very good game there behind all the bling.

Honestly anything with more than 4 boxes/more than a kallax slot probably counts for this bit.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I know it may be sacrilege, but I'd happily play a version of Cthulhu Wars with no miniatures. Just generic "cultist", "old one", "big unit", "little unit", etc meeples in a variety of colors.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

If anything it’s kept the supply of bulk miniatures from AliExpress varied and dirt cheap.

Haha, link?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

rydiafan posted:

I know it may be sacrilege, but I'd happily play a version of Cthulhu Wars with no miniatures. Just generic "cultist", "old one", "big unit", "little unit", etc meeples in a variety of colors.

That's (sort of) Cthulhu Wars Duel

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

djfooboo posted:

Haha, link?

I've generally found them by searching for "[game] miniatures AliExpress," mostly Zombicide figures that I was trying to use for an 80s action movie Savage Worlds game. There's also an eBay seller called Retexchange doing something similar.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Sure have. I have no use or desire for minis but I've had a great time with all-in Glorantha: The Gods' War, Planet Apocalypse, Street Masters, Nemesis (and Lockdown), Middara, Aeon Trespass: Odyssey, Chronicles of Drunagor, and Sword & Sorcery. Aeon Trespass in particular is one of my all time favorites at this point and while I'm not all that into dungeon crawlers as a genre I think Middara is probably the best purestrain rendition of that experience I've played and Drunagor and S&S aren't half bad either. Certainly I've had a lot more fun with all three than I ever did with traditional retail crawlers like Descent. I also have all in Lords of Ragnarok, and The Edge Dawnfall (I don't have all in but even the base 1.6 box is ridiculous), but I haven't gotten those to table yet.

But again, if they offered standee/token/meeple/etc versions I'd skip the minis in a heartbeat. And I'd have much less stuffed shelves so I really wish they would. I was super glad that I went standee on Oathsworn, for example, when I saw the multiple additional giant boxes of just minis that the mini pledges entailed.

I don't think it's that hard to distinguish between "these people know what they're doing and have a great idea for a game (and also are sadly really obsessed with minis)" and "these people are selling a pile of minis with the veneer of a game over them", and I happily skip the latter.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I really enjoyed the street fighter 2 mini game. Fun solid rules and track with the game counterpart. I'm bummed that the compatible follow ups of mortal kombat and dbz have been quietly cancelled and memory holed.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

malkav11 posted:

I also have all in Lords of Ragnarok, and The Edge Dawnfall (I don't have all in but even the base 1.6 box is ridiculous), but I haven't gotten those to table yet.
Based on the review linked above, it sounds like maybe you should skip opening Lords of Ragnorak. Maybe you can get a few more bucks for it if you can list it as new in box.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood is pretty highly regarded and that's like 75% "mini"atures.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

malkav11 posted:

Nemesis (and Lockdown)

Nemesis Retaliation hits later this year on Gamefound apparently.
https://gamefound.com/en/projects/awaken-realms/nemesis-retaliation

malkav11 posted:

But again, if they offered standee/token/meeple/etc versions I'd skip the minis in a heartbeat. And I'd have much less stuffed shelves so I really wish they would. I was super glad that I went standee on Oathsworn, for example, when I saw the multiple additional giant boxes of just minis that the mini pledges entailed.

Honestly Nemesis I could see myself going all in on, as I love the base game, however I'd be A-OK with a standee version of the games/expansions to cut down on the costs & shelf space.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

gschmidl posted:

Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood is pretty highly regarded and that's like 75% "mini"atures.

Not my copy!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I went All-In (minus the giant Galactus) on all three Marvel United campaigns. Don’t regret it at all.

It’s one of the few things I can consistently get my wife to play.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bouquet posted:

Based on the review linked above, it sounds like maybe you should skip opening Lords of Ragnorak. Maybe you can get a few more bucks for it if you can list it as new in box.

I do not find NPI useful as a barometer of whether I will enjoy a game.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
AND WE'RE LIVE!

Paul Muller ghouls, by Bad Squiddo Games

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/ghouls

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Wait what.

I feel like I've missed a few steps. They rehired the abusive artist? How'd that go for them?

Pretty sure nobody noticed or cares at this point. It's a shame, it was a fun property. But you don't "hire back" a creator, he has always got a slice of everything.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Infinitum posted:

Yeah, whoops. I liked the minis and thought a game that used them might be cool. They of course contribute nothing to the game, and the game is nothing, and the fact that there's like 135 playable characters is irrelevant once you realize that a character consists of just 12 generally fairly samey cards.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

theironjef posted:

Yeah, whoops. I liked the minis and thought a game that used them might be cool. They of course contribute nothing to the game, and the game is nothing, and the fact that there's like 135 playable characters is irrelevant once you realize that a character consists of just 12 generally fairly samey cards.

Looking at the decks was fun. "wow they are all the same except half have one special card!"

at least I now have a Blink and a Sauron mini.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

MuscaDomestica posted:

Looking at the decks was fun. "wow they are all the same except half have one special card!"

at least I now have a Blink and a Sauron mini.

It's a *little* better than that. Characters have different distributions of the generic cards and three (four with the X-Men onwards characters) special cards. A couple joke characters have all special cards. But it's certainly not a game I think warrants all those boxes or the north of $1000 pricetag an all-in would command at this point, and I will never buy it. Or probably anything else CMON puts out at this point.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

theironjef posted:

I feel better about the ks decisions I've made all of a sudden

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

if you love the ip and aren't broke then i say go for it

Molrok
May 30, 2011

I've backed Oathsworn, Gloomhaven 2.0, Frosthaven and The Isofarian Guard by now.

I can make myself a home gym once they all get here :shepspends:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Molrok posted:

I've backed Oathsworn, Gloomhaven 2.0, Frosthaven and The Isofarian Guard by now.

I can make myself a home gym once they all get here :shepspends:

Can't speak about the other two, but X-havens are kind of the opposite of the super bloated KS the guy from NPI was complaining about. They are massive boxes, yeah, but they are so dense with actual game that, if Isaac was Fantasy Flight (or almost any other developer, really), those boxes would have been split in a core and like 10+ expansions.

EDIT: to the point that it kind of spoiled me when it comes to big budget/boxes crowfunded games, if you count price in "I could get X Gloomhavens for that amount".

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 28, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

big boxes you say?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/celestial-5

:stare:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:holymoley: that is the most I think I've scrolled in any Kickstarter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lol it’s already cancelled.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The_Doctor posted:

I read their statement and it's all "have to get our previous one out first" but one has to assume it was that they didn't hit their desired funding velocity in order to get 5x or 10x their stated (but not actual) goal or something?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

:laffo:

A post that screams 0 confidence in their product, and is just a rush to market for that sweet sweet Q4 suckerbacker funding

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Goddamn this update
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/celestial-5/posts/3920582

"Minis for last game have been sitting in a warehouse for over a year"
"We had to push production back to *checks notes* ensure a characters story was right"
"We're splitting the boxes up to get this to you sooner"
"We won't relaunch until the last game ships" <<Absolute biggest red flag

I feel really bad for mini painters, because painting multi-box nonsense is obviously going to take some time.
Why not ship the minis in a separate box to backers early so they can get started painting all that poo poo
Why keep wrapping non-complete games around obvious mini cash grabs
:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

there's a lot going on but my favourites are the fact that the previous game got delayed because of the *story* and the $650 scenery pack