Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

No spoilers in the 90s? Ha, that’ll put butts in the seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

People who post those memes are always the most tuned into the gossip mill, an active choice they're making and could stop at any time

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's not a bad take. We were kids and the Internet didn't exist to ruin everything

We did in fact have dirtsheets and spoilers when we were a kid.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's easier to hook yourself up to the hose because it's no longer 1-800 numbers and newsletters you get mailed but it's always existed

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Full picture

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I was like 10 when I first found out about the Smackdown spoilers existing

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Remember, folks.

Anything that happened in wrestling while you were a child was the golden age of perfect television.

Anything that happened in wrestling while you were between about 14 and 25 was the awesome disruption of a new generation leaving its mark.

Anything that happened in wrestling after you hit thirty is a bunch of disrespectful kids who don't know their history

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

yea ok posted:

I was like 10 when I first found out about the Smackdown spoilers existing

When I was like 13 me and my cousin would go to Rajah.com to look at every half formed rumor we could.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

my 6th grade teacher used to make "predictions" about episodes of Raw (what we didn't know was that they were taped episodes) that would turn out to be 100% true and we had no idea how he was doing it

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

my 6th grade teacher used to make "predictions" about episodes of Raw (what we didn't know was that they were taped episodes) that would turn out to be 100% true and we had no idea how he was doing it

He was a witch and should be burned or hanged.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

We did in fact have dirtsheets and spoilers when we were a kid.

I didn't find out about the existence of newsletters until the late 90s and neither did anyone else I knew who was a wrestling fan

I'm aware that they were around before then but up until I graduated from college we all just watched whatever we wanted and didn't know or care about backstage drama. I still don't care about drama. I just want good wrestling and I started enjoying wrestling a lot more after I stopped keeping up with the newsletters

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

not so tough without your SCISSORS

I think I learned that Smackdown spoilers existed maybe a year after I became a regular watcher? I wouldn't seek them out but whenever I'd go on TheWrestlingFan and WrestleZone Forums I'd catch a whiff of them. To say nothing of how dirtsheets and rumor magazines and newsletters have been existing since, like, the 70s.

Remember when WWE.com had their own insider info section that would talk about TNA? That was weird.

Gumball Gumption posted:

People who post those memes are always the most tuned into the gossip mill, an active choice they're making and could stop at any time

It's literally so easy

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Benne posted:

Pretty wild that ROH had Mayu Iwatani for an entire title run and absolutely nobody remembers it
The title run was less than two months in early 2019 and consisted of beating Kelly Klein for the title, beating Kelly Klein in a rematch, and then losing it back to Kelly Klein in a re-rematch. Then six months later the title Mayu held effectively got abandoned because of a combination of Kelly Klein having post-concussion syndrome/getting into a disagreement with ROH management. Also the title only existed for about a year and a half total. It's honestly pretty easy to forget all of it, which is also true of a lot of 2018-2020 ROH programs.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
back in the day we never used the toilet, we'd just go in a diaper and someone would come and change it for us. just another example of how societey has declined in the last 50 years

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

little munchkin posted:

back in the day we never used the toilet, we'd just go in a diaper and someone would come and change it for us.

ah yes, Harry Potter canon

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Jamesantongreen/status/1706995458436911405

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Probably

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

B...but Vince did buy a monopoly? He bought his two biggest competitors and most of the tape libraries for wrestling in North America from the last like 50 years. He did that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

B...but Vince did buy a monopoly? He bought his two biggest competitors and most of the tape libraries for wrestling in North America from the last like 50 years. He did that.

That was the WWF.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

little munchkin posted:

back in the day we never used the toilet, we'd just go in a diaper and someone would come and change it for us. just another example of how societey has declined in the last 50 years

https://twitter.com/KevinMarshall/status/1707069615820476487

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/ContrarianAlex/status/1707052857332044251

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Good point, Contrarian Alex

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Brace yourself for another round of All In attendance discourse:

https://twitter.com/shirleighshirlz/status/1707038772020248961?s=46

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Who?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
hello my name is Brent Council ama about Wembley ticket sales

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Brent London Borough Council, which is where Wembley stadium is.

Coolness Averted posted:

it's more like "hello my name is Brent Council ama because Tony Blair passed a law in 2000 which he now regrets".

tl;dr: people are using freedom of information laws to continue the "true attendance" slap-fights, because the local council basically has to manage the logistics of any event that takes place at Wembley.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 28, 2023

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Coolness Averted posted:

how many people attended all in?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/dajosc11/status/1706853153583362462?t=SjmnqJKbCNJpUxK9lfuTsA&s=19

Not this post.

The replies.

Holy gently caress the replies.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i dont have an account i cant see the replies, but also don't post them here

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

beepie:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lol

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

how many people attended all in?

a whole bunch

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

thank you for your service

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

the numbers dont lie

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

When I was a kid, my local newspaper had this line you could call into for like horoscopes and live sports scores and whatever and they had a wrestling option that would just read you dirtsheet rumors. I wish I knew what the actual source of that option was, or how I came to discover it existed to call it regularly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I keep seeing "he's legacy talent" and "he has an upside". No mention of what the "upside" actually is or why being legacy talent matters other than maybe name recognition

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I keep seeing "he's legacy talent" and "he has an upside". No mention of what the "upside" actually is or why being legacy talent matters other than maybe name recognition

They seriously think he’s just the same as his dad. That’s it. Anyone whos seen his dad obviously knows that’s not true but we are dealing with a generation who was raised in WWE documentaries.

And for the record, I think nxt is probably the best place for BPJ. If he can develop there it’ll be good for him but I don’t have very high hopes for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CopywrightMMXI posted:

And for the record, I think nxt is probably the best place for BPJ. If he can develop there it’ll be good for him but I don’t have very high hopes for him.

I agree, and I can see why people think he has an upside - he's only 30 and not a terrible worker, but he needs a lot of stage managing and NXT/WWE will provide that.