Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can anyone explain to me how the gently caress Earwig and the Witch got green-lit at all? It seriously looks worse than any Dollar Store Pixar knockoff.

There are times I think it looks good, individual shots that aren't in motion and backgrounds and stuff, but the characters move in a very awkward way and it's not a particularly engaging story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I have no idea, but I appreciate that the name is close enough to Hedwig and the Angry Inch that somebody might watch that by accident.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

rydiafan posted:

Somebody saw it was by a Miyazaki and got confused.
This is what tricked me into watching it. Not to mention that the story ultimately goes nowhere because (I assume) they were planning on a sequel that never happened. Just an all around terrible experience.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

El Fideo posted:

I have no idea, but I appreciate that the name is close enough to Hedwig and the Angry Inch that somebody might watch that by accident.

It almost breaks the rule of not referencing something better in itself.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I don't suppose anybody ITT bought the blu-ray out of some misguided sense of completionism? I have a lot of Ghibli blu-rays now and Miyazaki can be downright dickish when they interview him (and others talking about him) in the special features. Real curious to see if he's in the special features of Earwig just going off on it. I myself have not seen it, sometimes morbid curiosity makes me want to though.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I remembered that and mentioned the Bane fight where we're shown that all the ninja poo poo is useless against him. But the fact that Bruce's body is all hosed and broken would lead him to lean even heavier into the stealth route, I would think, as opposed to giant crowd fights and face to face combat. I guess I just really liked how Nolan set all that "creature of the shadows" stuff up in Batman Begins and the loading dock takedown(s) was one of my favorite scenes, but I don't think we ever even got a callback to the main lesson of "mind your environment", did we?

I guess one could argue that Bruce figuring out Bane's breathing apparatus thing counts?

Even in TDK, where he's not beat up and broken yet, just about every confrontation he has is head on (the party, Hong Kong, final Joker confrontation) and we never really get the sneaky Batman we saw in the first film.

That’s a good point. I kinda feel that way about pretty much all of the Spider-Man movies. The two constants in the comics are that he’s a joking, dorky, goofball in costume, and that he should never be sitting in chairs or just standing on the ground.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

I don't suppose anybody ITT bought the blu-ray out of some misguided sense of completionism? I have a lot of Ghibli blu-rays now and Miyazaki can be downright dickish when they interview him (and others talking about him) in the special features. Real curious to see if he's in the special features of Earwig just going off on it. I myself have not seen it, sometimes morbid curiosity makes me want to though.

if you didn't know it was Ghibli, you would think it was just a really really bad film made by illumination dropouts. just the first few minutes of the beginning, how weird the motions are, makes you think film student with a million dollar budget.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

That’s a good point. I kinda feel that way about pretty much all of the Spider-Man movies. The two constants in the comics are that he’s a joking, dorky, goofball in costume, and that he should never be sitting in chairs or just standing on the ground.

Garfield is really the only Spider-man we've had that nails the goofy wisecracking side of things. Like, I don't mind Holland's take but he's a lot more in awe of everything around him instead of just making fun of it all constantly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also Garfield had the amazing SNL sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6NUQeb5noM

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
I can't remember exactly what I thought the Clone Wars might be like back when I was young but I can confidently state I never would have guessed "A endlessly-xeroxed Jake the Muss fights an army of slapstick three stooges robots"

CONJECTURE: Bill Watterson would make a better movie director than George Lucas because Bill understands the importance of leaving some stuff up to the imagination of his audience.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Diet Poison posted:

I hope not. Goro Miyazaki (the Earwig director) is Hayao Miyazaki's son, and they've had a difficult relationship.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Phy posted:

I hope not. Goro Miyazaki (the Earwig director) is Hayao Miyazaki's son, and they've had a difficult relationship.

"Difficult relationship" is one way of putting it. I said I have a lot of these blu-rays, and he is absolutely fuckin' mean at times to Goro in the behind the scenes stuff of Poppy Hill, which is Goro's good movie! They do not at all try to hide that Miyazaki's a dick. Which is... I mean, one might say that's better than covering it up. I don't think there's a single interview with him I've seen that he hasn't said something that made me think why the hell would you say that on camera?!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember him saying, when he saw his son's directorial debut, something to the effect of "I realize now my son is still a child."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Of course Miyazaki is a dick, that’s why the Souls games are so hard

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

Of course Miyazaki is a dick, that’s why the Souls games are so hard

I think you mean GRRM

GRRM is why Elden Ring is so cruel

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah Miyazaki makes some amazing films but does not sound like someone I'd want to know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lots of folks post that image macro wherein Miyazaki is saying that all anime is trash, not realizing that he was being completely serious. Guy went full No True Scotsman. In that interview, he's talking about how anime has been overrun by Western artists and otaku, and because of that true Japanese anime artists have become misanthropic and don't look at real people to make their work.

Ironic.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Sep 26, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My partner is watching Grey's Anatomy again and I'm still irrationally irritated by surgeon Christina Yang singing Like A Virgin

https://youtu.be/notKtAgfwDA?si=HFixuSAJ-62ySWNU

The song is RIGHT THERE

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Diet Poison posted:

"Difficult relationship" is one way of putting it. I said I have a lot of these blu-rays, and he is absolutely fuckin' mean at times to Goro in the behind the scenes stuff of Poppy Hill, which is Goro's good movie! They do not at all try to hide that Miyazaki's a dick. Which is... I mean, one might say that's better than covering it up. I don't think there's a single interview with him I've seen that he hasn't said something that made me think why the hell would you say that on camera?!

Yeesh, worse than I thought! And sorry for being Mister Explainy at you, I must have skipped over the bit where you said you had the Blu-rays.

There really is something to that whole Miyazaki vs Junji Ito thing, huh.

Phy has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Sep 27, 2023

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Len posted:

My partner is watching Grey's Anatomy again and I'm still irrationally irritated by surgeon Christina Yang singing Like A Virgin

https://youtu.be/notKtAgfwDA?si=HFixuSAJ-62ySWNU

The song is RIGHT THERE

I'm irrationally irritated by them using How To Save A Life for a surgery even though the lyrics are about failing to connect with a troubled teen and don't fit that kind of life-saving at all.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Grendels Dad posted:

That opening was really good for exactly that kind of acerbic humour, which kinda decreased as the movie went along. My totally rational irritation is how loving boring the ending was, considering it included RoboCop busting into a fascility guarded by the aforementioned giant deathbots. At least make their failure funny and not generically CGI-actiony!

My IMM is that I thought they were going to have the killbots malfunction horribly because they forgot the firmware update that day and the people with the 'don't kill me' transponders get murked. Or maybe suffering some fatal stack overflow issue from having killed 256 terrorists. Then they roll out the Robocop project to reassure the public that killbots are safe.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

aardwolf posted:

A endlessly-xeroxed Jake the Muss fights an army of slapstick three stooges robots"

When I was in college in the long ago, a package arrived at my door I hadn’t ordered. It was the soundtrack to Once Were Warriors, a movie I’d never heard of at that point. So I listened to the soundtrack and thought it was killer so I watched the movie.

Long story short I now also have a promo screener copy of Once Were Warriors on VHS, and a copy of the movie on laserdisc. So thanks random package delivery fuckup for introducing me to one of my favorite movies of all time.

I have no IIMM with Once Were Warriors.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm irrationally irritated by them using How To Save A Life for a surgery even though the lyrics are about failing to connect with a troubled teen and don't fit that kind of life-saving at all.
My girlfriend showed me this after we'd watched the Strange New Worlds musical and holy poo poo is it bad. Not only a jukebox musical but songs crammed in willy nilly, handed to people seemingly at random and I love Kevin McKidd in things but Jesus man you should have just said no when they asked you to sing. The whole thing manages to be lazy despite the effort that had to have gone in.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

When I was in college in the long ago, a package arrived at my door I hadn’t ordered. It was the soundtrack to Once Were Warriors, a movie I’d never heard of at that point. So I listened to the soundtrack and thought it was killer so I watched the movie.

Long story short I now also have a promo screener copy of Once Were Warriors on VHS, and a copy of the movie on laserdisc. So thanks random package delivery fuckup for introducing me to one of my favorite movies of all time.

I have no IIMM with Once Were Warriors.

My IIMM with Once Were Warriors is that Cliff Curtis doesn't get nearly enough roles, dude is great.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Fil5000 posted:

Garfield is really the only Spider-man we've had that nails the goofy wisecracking side of things. Like, I don't mind Holland's take but he's a lot more in awe of everything around him instead of just making fun of it all constantly.
I really liked Andrew Garfield's version of Spiderman as well (would have been interesting to see that one in the main-line MCU movies!), and didn't think The Amazing Spider-Man was that bad. Shame about the second one though...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zero_Grade posted:

I really liked Andrew Garfield's version of Spiderman as well (would have been interesting to see that one in the main-line MCU movies!), and didn't think The Amazing Spider-Man was that bad. Shame about the second one though...

I loved how the worked the responsibility thing in as you never see Uncle Ben angry, so that was as cool moment where Garfield gets home late and he's like "Because of your irresponsibility, MY WIFE had to walk home on her own in the middle of the night."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One of the more irritating bits of Spider-Lore is treating "With great power comes great responsibility" as some quaint saying Uncle Ben would give Peter all the time, when in the original comic origin story, it's simply the lesson Peter learned from Ben's death, and only appears in the narration.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Keromaru5 posted:

One of the more irritating bits of Spider-Lore is treating "With great power comes great responsibility" as some quaint saying Uncle Ben would give Peter all the time, when in the original comic origin story, it's simply the lesson Peter learned from Ben's death, and only appears in the narration.

"With great power comes great ricesponsibility" - Uncle Ben's

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!
I always thought "With great power comes great responsibility" and "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them" were both from the same Spider-Man issue.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Expend4bles was...bad

Like, not just a dumb action movie like I was expecting but actively bad like if you tried to make it bad

It makes actual dumb action movie Meg2 earlier this year look like a screenwriting and directing masterclass by comparison

But the real imm is just straight up murdering people for laughs. Not mission relevant combat body count, just.. murder

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked the first two movies for the most part but the third was loving garbage and I have zero expectations for this one.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

maybealabia posted:

But the real imm is just straight up murdering people for laughs. Not mission relevant combat body count, just.. murder

Every James gunn movie

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Grendels Dad posted:

My IIMM with Once Were Warriors is that Cliff Curtis doesn't get nearly enough roles, dude is great.

This but Rena Owen, she was great recently on The Orville.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Shippuden Episode 107:

Kabuto: I diagnose you with dead.

The three guys: Ok I believe you.

Not Irrational as they are clearly established as dorks who are mostly helpless without someone leading them, but still funny.

Also, how did Narari maintain his makeup and shaved eyebrows inside the death prison?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

On the other hand, I thought the way they spun (lol) this for No Way Home was incredible. It was already a great decision to forego Spidey's origin when we've seen it so many times already, and the lack of The Line was something that didn't really even register until they dropped it in the hardest way possible.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

aardwolf posted:

I can't remember exactly what I thought the Clone Wars might be like back when I was young but I can confidently state I never would have guessed "A endlessly-xeroxed Jake the Muss fights an army of slapstick three stooges robots"

CONJECTURE: Bill Watterson would make a better movie director than George Lucas because Bill understands the importance of leaving some stuff up to the imagination of his audience.

i was so stoked for Temuera Morrison to be Jango Fett based on Once Were Warriors... then i saw the prequels and they were... well... the prequels...

still glad to see Morrison getting more work. give him all the roles.

but i guess my IIMM is I will forever have my DVD of Once Were Warriors on my shelf gathering dust and i will never rewatch it because the initial watch was grim enough. put it up there with Graveyard of the Fireflies in that regard...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I liked the first two movies for the most part but the third was loving garbage and I have zero expectations for this one.

Chuck Norris ruined three with his dumb bullshit before it was even filmed

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So many Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments with Meg 2: The Trench. There's apparently amphibious dinosaurs living in the deep sea. Nobody involved in the making of this movie knows how underwater pressure works. In real life finding a giant octopus would be big, loving deal, but in this movie it's just another thing to blow up. And worst of all: There's actually not that much meg action going on in the movie.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alhazred posted:

And worst of all: There's actually not that much meg action going on in the movie.

100% the biggest sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

So many Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments with Meg 2: The Trench. There's apparently amphibious dinosaurs living in the deep sea. Nobody involved in the making of this movie knows how underwater pressure works. In real life finding a giant octopus would be big, loving deal, but in this movie it's just another thing to blow up. And worst of all: There's actually not that much meg action going on in the movie.

that ghost squid made the news for a while when they first identified it & still does once in a blue moon. idk if that counts as a big deal tho