Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

loquacius posted:

I don't have too huge of a dog in this fight since in the original TMNT run I was not quite old enough to care whether April was hot, but this seems 100% like they were trying to stir up poo poo for culture-war hateclicks from rightoids and of course it worked because rightoids loving love being given inconsequential poo poo to get way too mad about

Interestingly this is exactly the argument that the rightoids use while making their culture-war hate posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

something about s2 of the bear feels so pretentious to me idk. I’ve watched like 3 eps and have no desire to finish it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not the first time April's been black, and apparently she was racially ambiguous in the original (black and white) comics anyway. (where she was also an illustration brought to life. Ah, comics.)
yeah that was the first like 10 issues iirc (its been ages since ive read the original run) that she was drawn black/racially ambiguous. it wasnt until the childrens cartoon they made her a white / red-headed lady in no uncertain terms then everything that came after was her in the cartoons but in live action or updated in every comic/cartoon run going forward.

the new movie was great though. it really balanced all the nostalgia bait (90's hip-hop/cartoon series enemies appearing), but also "this is a new version for new kids get over it" attitude. It would've been a lesser production just trying to do the cartoon or 90's movie again in a new style. 40 year olds not reckoning with time and their childhoods being just that can stay mad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pussy Quipped posted:

something about s2 of the bear feels so pretentious to me idk. I’ve watched like 3 eps and have no desire to finish it.

Try being stoned out of your gourd OP

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Interestingly this is exactly the argument that the rightoids use while making their culture-war hate posts

sure it is

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"I love being trolled, I am jumping like a seal at the prospect of being trolled" -- Ben Shapiro or whatever

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

loquacius posted:

"I love being trolled, I am jumping like a seal at the prospect of being trolled" -- Ben Shapiro or whatever

lol no they're just like "nobody wants diversity, the only reason anyone does it in media is too piss people off" because they can only conceptualize non-whites in any role as a troll of them

Sassbot Alpha
Sep 2, 2011
Fallen Rib
Some ultra nerd wrote a pretty thorough essay on the April O'Neil thing here which breaks down the supposed misconception.

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2018/02/was-april-oneil-originally-black-in.html?m=1

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

lol no they're just like "nobody wants diversity, the only reason anyone does it in media is too piss people off" because they can only conceptualize non-whites in any role as a troll of them

oh yeah sure that's exactly what I was saying, thanks outrage machine jaxyon

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

GO NINJA GO NINJA GO

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

loquacius posted:

oh yeah sure that's exactly what I was saying, thanks outrage machine jaxyon

not exactly but close enough :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

if your goal is to get in arguments on the internet maybe

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

loquacius posted:

if your goal is to get in arguments on the internet maybe

yes them deciding that anyone caring about race is just doing it to start argument is entirely different from you deciding that i'm just doing it to start arguments

pleasure slapfighting with you buddy

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Popy posted:

GO NINJA GO NINJA GO

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

yes them deciding that anyone caring about race is just doing it to start argument is entirely different from you deciding that i'm just doing it to start arguments

yeah it's some kind of a compulsion for you

quote:

pleasure slapfighting with you buddy

seems to be, you do it a lot

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

loquacius posted:

yeah it's some kind of a compulsion for you

seems to be, you do it a lot

sorry for disagreeing with you in this thread, i'll try to do better in the future sir

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

sorry for disagreeing with you in this thread, i'll try to do better in the future sir

why aren't you posting about wheel of time? season 2 is way better than the first

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

I meant the thing where you're constantly accusing people of being gators or whatever, but yeah this is a good rule of thumb and should help

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

i say swears online posted:

why aren't you posting about wheel of time? season 2 is way better than the first

Haven't watched it yet

loquacius posted:

I meant the thing where you're constantly accusing people of being gators or whatever, but yeah this is a good rule of thumb and should help

mostly i just point people being lovely and then they complain about me forever and remember me more than i remember them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some people would take that as a signal they should change their needlessly combative behavior but I guess you're built different

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

loquacius posted:

Some people would take that as a signal they should change their needlessly combative behavior but I guess you're built different

Nah, people would always rather complain than admit they did/said something lovely, I'm used to it. And they never let it go.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Nah, people would always rather complain than admit they did/said something lovely, I'm used to it. And they never let it go.

There are not possibly enough ironicats

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Bans for you both

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

this looks neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOsZVmVPn4E

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Just watched Wheel of Time s2e6. I hate what they did to Elaida. In the books she was a driven zealot who thought she was the smart one and everyone else was a reckless idiot at best, or actively working for satan at worst, and she rode that energy and overwhelming ego to loving over world politics and the main characters during the end times crisis. Now shes just another dumbass who works for the devil to protect a loved one. Oh no, shes tragic. I guess a girlboss who almost got everyone killed because it was her turn was a step too far for the showrunners.

Theres another dark sister whose story was she only joined up with the devil cult for career advancement and was never ideologically committed but gets executed anyways and I hope the showrunners don't turn her tragic too.

I am conflating characters, but I still feel Liandrin has an incredibly dumb motivation

Kudos on making Elayne competent and likeable though

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Sep 28, 2023

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

wasn't there a trailer for this 2 years ago

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Creator looks good

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
wheel of time looks particularly mediocre, even for ya fantasy stuff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

tristeham posted:

wheel of time looks particularly mediocre, even for ya fantasy stuff

true to it's source material then lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I just watched the short film it's based on. Really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRzemJbUsw

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watching strange new worlds and am a bit unnerved by how the relationship between spock and tpring is just them talking in strange planet voices basically

the anachronism only really looks bad because strange planet is presented as weirdly aspirational therapist speak its pretty clear thats not what strange new worlds is trying to do but ugh even over just a single year this language has become obnoxiously mainstream

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
what

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

what the hell is strange planet

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

what the hell is strange planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTLO-21XSk

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

cant believe everyone already forgot all about dan harmons new hit show the season finale just came out today

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

there’s some funny people involved with that which is strange because the comic it’s based on was very bad

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if only there was a comedy website about all the things which are awful that exist for some reason in this age of limitless content

we could call it terrible stuff

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

there’s some funny people involved with that which is strange because the comic it’s based on was very bad

gave it a shot because of this, thinking maybe they'd elevate the source material. nope, made it about three minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NolanAnalyst/status/1707087442170331290?t=kX9QnaVKPJ1MR30oxRUIWg&s=19