Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bit difficult to call em maps when they dont have any pictoral content

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cessna posted:

No, in 1963 there were plenty of radio navigation aids available.

Edit: For that matter, radio navigation was in use before WWI.

True enough. Land based radio stations are just basically a giant lighthouse or landmark - you can just "see" them over the horizon.

It's truly wild out in the middle of the ocean especially with limited or no modern connectivity. You're really just alone.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

What evidence do we have for more local level stuff? Maps that do show coastlines are decently accurate and I can't imagine it's that hard to have a map that consists of 2 ports and a line showing the coast between them, and harbors along the way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There a Roman itinerary engraved on a cup

I would call that a map. It’s not too dissimilar from a subway map for example

Although I guess technically maps should be on sheet of parchment or a napkin given the root of the word

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What evidence do we have for more local level stuff? Maps that do show coastlines are decently accurate and I can't imagine it's that hard to have a map that consists of 2 ports and a line showing the coast between them, and harbors along the way.

Basically none. There are a couple references to nautical charts existing, though without having one it's hard to say exactly what the Romans considered a nautical chart. There are only two pre-medieval Roman maps that I know of, the Tabula Peutingeria (the one we have is a medieval copy of the original, as usual) and the Forma Urbis Romae. Both of which were decorations, not for practical use.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There were mile markers (milestones) on every Roman road that served as maps for the road system

Here is one in the far west of Iberia

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Basically none. There are a couple references to nautical charts existing, though without having one it's hard to say exactly what the Romans considered a nautical chart. There are only two pre-medieval Roman maps that I know of, the Tabula Peutingeria (the one we have is a medieval copy of the original, as usual) and the Forma Urbis Romae. Both of which were decorations, not for practical use.

Right, but given their accuracy inasmuch has the correct major land formations like the shape of italy and corsica/sardinia, they had to be pulling from other sources to create those.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Right, but given their accuracy inasmuch has the correct major land formations like the shape of italy and corsica/sardinia, they had to be pulling from other sources to create those.

Yeah. Probably a lot of information came from peripluses? Periplusii? Guides for sailors that listed locations, directions, travel distances. There were lots and lots of those, we have a few. You could take that information and render it into a visual form if you wanted to. Which is more or less what the medieval people did with Ptolemy's Geography to make the map I posted.

There were also land versions called itineraria that listed locations and distances on road routes. That was what people traveled with instead of maps.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Correct , the relationship between places plus the distances between them is sufficient to be a map imho

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maps with wildly distorted geography, intended to tell you how to get where you want to go at the expense of being a literal depiction, are still quite common. That's every subway map, for instance

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gaius trying to get to Pompeii to see a show using the directions he copied into his wax tablet from the Lonelius Planetius at the forum library.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

There a Roman itinerary engraved on a cup

I would call that a map. It’s not too dissimilar from a subway map for example

Although I guess technically maps should be on sheet of parchment or a napkin given the root of the word

Iirc english is a bit unusual, and most romance languages derive map from card, dunno how that works wirh latin

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Map comes from mappa which means sheet or napkin . Probably Semitic in origins

Synonymous with charta

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Cutting through country was a good way to get lost in foreign territory. Or even familiar territory. Suetonius recorded that Caesar got lost trying to find the Rubicon, spent all night wandering around trying to find it, and ended up needing a guide to get him there, and this is a relative big river like 150 miles from Rome.

Me in any open world video game

Tulip posted:

Oh so this is interesting.

The Chinese records are pretty robust and what we have for pre-Tang is 3 instances of Romans in China, one in Eastern Han (~166CE), one to Cao Wei (220CE), and one to Later Jin (286CE). The first of those is in a lot of ways the most telling: the Chinese were really unimpressed. The common theory is that the Romans left for China with some distinctive and valuable Roman goods but lost them in transit, and had to make do with some decidedly less impressive local goods as their tribute. And of course both states were about to enter into some Rough Times, so continuous contact was not a high priority for either and on the Chinese end, the fact that the 3 delegations functionally wound up in 3 different eras shows that setting up an actual continuing relationship was not going to be easy.

Going the other direction, there's a Roman record of a person from Seres (China) in the time of Augustus, but since the Chinese records are quite clear that the first official mission that got as far west as Mesopotamia was the utterly incredible Gan Ying in 97CE, I'd say this was most likely an independent merchant.

Anyway, there were a lot of obstacles to an actual direct relationship between China and Rome, even for individual merchants, that I think can be summarized pretty readily as "the many independent countries between the two that all had a vested interest in protecting middlemen operations." Its POSSIBLE there were some Roman merchants inside China more than those official embassies but they're not well attested. However Roman goods inside China are well attested, especially sea silk, so even if there were some Roman merchants in China, their goods were more often coming through intermediaries.

Am I right in thinking that the Parthians/Sasanians also had a hand in keeping them apart? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they got wind that Rome and China were making diplomatic overtures toward each other and basically said "Holy poo poo, we can NOT let these two become friends"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Parthians tended to try to dissuade Chinese envoys from going further than the Persian Gulf, yes. Contemporary Chinese envoys themselves noted that the Parthians blocked the route to them because they wanted to preserve their position for controlling the silk trade, and because the Parthians and Romans were rivals who were frequently hostile toward one another. It also just flat out took a long time to get there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Or even familiar territory. Suetonius recorded that Caesar got lost trying to find the Rubicon, spent all night wandering around trying to find it, and ended up needing a guide to get him there, and this is a relative big river like 150 miles from Rome.

Yeah it's incredibly easy to get lost at night even in familiar territory if you aren't on a road. You can only get kinda lost if you follow a road because roads tend to go somewhere. This is one of the reasons that the Roman solution to problems was, generally speaking, to build a road at it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

euphronius posted:

Correct , the relationship between places plus the distances between them is sufficient to be a map imho

IDK about you but I think if I tried to tell somebody that my travel itinerary was a map, that person would, reasonably, think I was not being serious.

Owl at Home posted:

Me in any open world video game

Am I right in thinking that the Parthians/Sasanians also had a hand in keeping them apart? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they got wind that Rome and China were making diplomatic overtures toward each other and basically said "Holy poo poo, we can NOT let these two become friends"

Yep! Hilder hit the specific thing we know from history, here's the specific quote from the Hou Hanshu as presented in wikipedia:

Hou Hanshu posted:

"In the ninth Yongyuan year [97 CE], during the reign of the Emperor He, Protector General Ban Chao sent Gan Ying to Da Qin (大秦) [the Roman Empire]. He reached Tiaozhi (条支) (Characene) and Sibin (斯宾) (Susiana?)[3] next to a large sea. He wanted to cross it, but the sailors of the western frontier of Anxi (安息) [Parthia] said to him:

"The ocean is huge. Those making the round trip can do it in three months if the winds are favourable. However, if you encounter winds that delay you, it can take two years. That is why all the men who go by sea take stores for three years. The vast ocean urges men to think of their country, and get homesick, and some of them die."

When [Gan] Ying heard this, he discontinued (his trip).[4]

Tiaozhi here is like southern Mesopotamia btw.

The main thing I wanted to add to this is that its not just the Persian empires who would be loving about with this. They were definitely the most powerful of the independent countries between China and Rome, but there were others and each of them had an interest in preventing Rome and China from having direct context. Not as some part of like, grand political strategy, but because direct contact would interfere with their ability to collect merchant taxes if merchants, well, didn't go through them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tulip posted:

IDK about you but I think if I tried to tell somebody that my travel itinerary was a map, that person would, reasonably, think I was not being serious.

If you want to get technical about it, that kinda stuff is considered a map all the time, though I would also accept it being a graph.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tulip posted:

The main thing I wanted to add to this is that its not just the Persian empires who would be loving about with this. They were definitely the most powerful of the independent countries between China and Rome, but there were others and each of them had an interest in preventing Rome and China from having direct context. Not as some part of like, grand political strategy, but because direct contact would interfere with their ability to collect merchant taxes if merchants, well, didn't go through them.

On the other side of Han China too, Gojoseon was said to have prevented groups further down the Korean peninsula from directly contacting Han, trying to guard its role as middleman.
Coulda been overstated — Han used it as pretext to launch an invasion — but it’s undeniable that trade with China was like, really important.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Owl at Home posted:

yes this is why the one official chinese diplomat who actually set foot in the roman empire had to do it by going thru the red sea

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Man, I hope some day we find a journal of a merchant who made it all the way from one empire to the other and learned enough of the language or had an interpreter and actually commented on it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thinking about Jimmy Yang's line in Silicon Valley, "This is my grandmother's recipe. She gave me before she died, in a horrible way."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Man, I hope some day we find a journal of a merchant who made it all the way from one empire to the other and learned enough of the language or had an interpreter and actually commented on it.

There were those monks who smuggled silk worms back to Rome

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There were enough missionaries from the empire that Nestorian Christianity established itself in China by the 600s or so. Never a lot of adherents, but still was a thing.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Grand Fromage posted:

There were enough missionaries from the empire that Nestorian Christianity established itself in China by the 600s or so. Never a lot of adherents, but still was a thing.

I imagine those missionaries more probably would have come from Sassanian lands rather than the Roman Empire. The Church of the East (Nestorians) was much bigger in Sassanian lands than it was Roman lands, and Iraq/Iran is a lot closer to China than the Roman empire. Really, they could even have come from Central Asia, since the Church of the East had a very big presence in Central Asia until around the 14th century. No reason the mission to China has to have been a long distance endeavor, there were a lot of Church of the East Christians not that far from China quite early on.

Edit: This is not to say that Christian missionaries from the Roman Empire can't have reached China, they may have, but I don't think the presence of the Church of the East in China in the 600s is evidence for this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Virgil:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Go check out the dickriding under that. Insane.

It’s not like it’s some mystery where Latins come from.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vahakyla posted:

No, thank you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vahakyla posted:

You can’t spell “Atlantis” without “Latins”. Coincidence ???

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Next you'll tell me that the archeological evidence tells us Rome was founded way before 753 BC. Pathetic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

Its funny because he's not responding to a post about the Aeneid or anything, it's like it just suddenly occurred to him. I know he has a history of taking creators names off stuff and pretending he invented it, from memes to Tesla, but it takes real grapes to pretend you invented the Roman Empire's most famous literary work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If rome were on the coast of Italy he may have a point

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You're telling me a Trojan fried this rice founded this city?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Guys, I've been thinking, maybe the Norse Gods came from Troy too?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

Considering the world was made by the Aesir slaughtering an ice giant and planting a tree on his corpse, I'm skeptical. As far as I know, Troy was founded long after the world was made.

And the Vanir are creepy Elf gods, they certainly didn't come from a Human city, either!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

No, they came from space. Except for Odin, he was just an old guy they met who told them who they should be.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Virgil Chad vs the Tesla Virgin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also all this reminds me of one of my favorite Onion articles

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Cessna posted:

This was how Snorri explained them, right? Because he was a Christian?

And Geoffrey of Monmouth said Britain was founded by a Trojan named Brutus.

I guess when the only old books you have are the Bible and Homer there's a lot of incentive to figure out where your people fit into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Norse gods, says Snorri, came from Asia and that’s why they’re called Aesir.

He also says the Vanir came from near the River Tana (Don, in Russia). Which you might think would cause them to be called Tanir. Luckily Snorri knows the river used to be called the Vana.