Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

sasha_d3ath posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one this bugged. It doesn't mean anything? It's just an obligatory shout-out? Why is he thus??

He is Vader's son though. To quote Lucas, it's like poetry, it rhymes. He's similar to Vader but has different motivations, so he fucks up a hallway in a similar manner but does it to save Grogu instead of to stop rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And that specific self declared moff had been cosplaying Darth Vader complete with cape and stolen lightsaber and then suddenly he's got the one person in the galaxy not scared of Darth Vader tearing through his wunderwaften like tissue paper.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That sequence works, but it's at odds with the context of the sequels. The scene is effectively filmed as if he's become Darth Vader Jr after Jedi.

But we already know he's a good guy, so there's no suspense. Instead of the intended reveal that the scary Jedi was Luke Skywalker, the twist is that Disney did a neat face thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also my point here, besides the whole sequence being pandering nerdbait (and most likely a sop to the people still shriekingly mad over The Last Jedi and Luke not being the ultimate badass they wanted him to be), is that he doesn't even perform any "brutal executions on fascists" because that wouldn't be properly Light Side enough, so they let him do it on robots instead so they can eat their cake and have it too.

Traveller posted:

Frying droids was a light side power IIRC, the Force doesn't care about that kind of sentient beings

Basically I think it's kind of funny that they wanted the "wow cool violence" bit but also had to make sure that it was only droids that got force-crushed, in much the same way that many RPGs will give you dark side points for doing this or that heinous act (poisons, force lightning, etc)...but will also carve out exceptions or give you "good-aligned poisons" or something.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 27, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Remember in Solo when the comical "Women Droids are people and deserve rights and bodily autonomy" joke character had her brain ripped out and implanted in a ship she has no control over which was subsequently gambled away to the main character.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 27, 2023

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
the dark troopers aren't droids though, they're hosed up guys.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Nah, the ones in the Mandalorian were stated to be droids. It's one of those "sometimes they're piloted powered armor, sometimes they're droids" things but the ones Luke mowed through were all droids.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Splicer posted:

Remember in Solo when the comical "Women Droids are people and deserve rights and bodily autonomy" joke character had her brain ripped out and implanted in a ship she has no control over which was subsequently gambled away to the main character.

When we watched Solo my mouth was on the floor about that, the way it’s depicted is so gross. The attitude towards droids in star wars is all over the place, people casually threaten to dismember them, they’re slaves in places that slavery is illegal, etc. but KOTOR 2 makes a point that the force flows through droids and they are connected to it, and has scenes where droids are hopeless gambling addicts and hiding from their boss and poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Love what the Auralnauts did with the L337 plotline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwsMYJdmutQ&t=617s

"I told you I'd get her back Han."

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 27, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Love what the Auralnauts did
Just in general, yes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

thatbastardken posted:

the dark troopers aren't droids though, they're hosed up guys.

They're droids.

Death Troopers are the hosed up guys.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, Dark Troopers have always been droids. Some people did not play Dark Forces and it shows. :smugdog:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Dark Troopers have always been droids. Some people did not play Dark Forces and it shows. :smugdog:

"*Ahem* Well akshewally, the final boss, General Rom Mohc wore combat armor that was also a Phase III Dark Trooper, showing that not all of the Dark Troopers were strictly robots.

Why are you shoving me into the locker?"
:goonsay:

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The Imperial jet pack guys in the Battlefront games were also referred to as Dark Troopers.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
More like dork troopers

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

??

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Donald, no! You were always an antifascist!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's fine, he's just infiltrating to save Princess Daisy from the Death Star prison.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Star Wars chat always hits different if you replace the word Droids with Slaves.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hate that sometimes Droids are stupid one-task automatons like Battle Droids and other times they're emotionally complex, intelligent, self aware creatures capable of love.

Like, just pick a lane.

Also that 9 year old Anakin Skywalker built C-3PO in his garage. A child creating life and sentience from scratch would be the whole-rear end movie anywhere else.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Millennium Falcon is canonically the trapped sentience of a former sex bot Lando had unrequited feelings for that spent its life fighting against droid slavery :lol:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bottom Liner posted:

The Millennium Falcon is canonically the trapped sentience of a former sex bot Lando had unrequited feelings for that spent its life fighting against droid slavery :lol:

It's 1/3rd that! Canonically she's one of three droid brains in that thing. Presumably the other two are also sad stories.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

moths posted:

Also that 9 year old Anakin Skywalker built C-3PO in his garage. A child creating life and sentience from scratch would be the whole-rear end movie anywhere else.
The problem with auralnauts is that nothing else they ever do can live up to their interpretation of that scene.

Well, apart from all the other creepio scenes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, to be "fair" the setting is internally consistent, in that there don't appear to be any hard, clearly enforced rules about treating other living sapient beings as slaves either. You can pretty much just enslave and murder people in star wars, the only court scene we've ever seen was in Andor and it does not inspire any confidence. So people just doing whatever they want with no consequences is just the harsh, hardscrabble dirty galaxy the stories are immersed in, right? If you live in a society where people always wander around open carrying and the "police" are a religious sect of sword-weilding ascetics, and then cloned fascist troopers, and then later, just like... surplus fighter pilots I guess? Maybe you'd just become so jaded that you don't have the mental energy to be upset about the flagrant exploitation and murder of the robot people.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

moths posted:

I hate that sometimes Droids are stupid one-task automatons like Battle Droids and other times they're emotionally complex, intelligent, self aware creatures capable of love.

Like, just pick a lane.

I thunk its more that druids are supposed to be built for a specific task but can learn and adapt so theyll be better at their functions, and reset to factory conditions periodically, it's just that people tend to... not reset them, which leads to things like droids realizing "wait, this job sucks!" Or "wait, what if I don't WANT to kill?" Or "gently caress you all, I'm mother-loving R2-D2 and I'm more the main character than any of these losers!"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Splicer posted:

:psyduck:

Suddenly especially glad I skipped that one.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

I thought the Dark Troopers were inbetween droid and human, aka cyborgs

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Splicer posted:

Yep...

And hilariously I think the intent behind doing that scene was literally the exact opposite of the text of the scene. I had to wonder watching it why nobody in production realized how deeply hosed that bit was.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Randalor posted:

I thunk its more that druids are supposed to be built for a specific task but can learn and adapt so theyll be better at their functions,

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Omnicrom posted:

Yep...

And hilariously I think the intent behind doing that scene was literally the exact opposite of the text of the scene. I had to wonder watching it why nobody in production realized how deeply hosed that bit was.

The thing is with droids in Star Wars is you gotta not bring attention to the premise or poo poo falls apart conceptually at best

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is with droids in Star Wars is you gotta not bring attention to the premise or poo poo falls apart conceptually at best

FTFY

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe you'd just become so jaded that you don't have the mental energy to be upset about the flagrant exploitation and murder of the robot people.
That's the thing. As far as the people in the setting are concerned, they're not people. They're tools that if not properly memory wiped will eventually go rampant in weird ways. it's the ones who get emotionally attached to them that are weird. I mean, since when have you cared about the opinion of your hammer?

This is the same attitude everyone had towards the clones, by the way, likely helped by the fact that they are clad in identical dehumanising armour that conceals their faces. The whole setting is extremely depressing when you look at it from a civil rights standpoint. Even the good side are monstrous when you think about their actions and the consequences.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

He probably found a build-a-droid kit in the trash or something. They don't say he invented C-3PO.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

:psyduck:

Suddenly especially glad I skipped that one.

It's got some really good basic ideas and the acting is fine for the most part, but it is also a real hot mess. The whole movie should've been: signing up for the military and then going AWOL, the train heist and Woody Harrelson mentorship thing, and then the showdown at the end. A solid, self-contained Space Western. Lando could just be another part of the heist crew, or if it needs padding they do the whole side quest to get him in on the job. And sure maybe Han gets his blaster the same way, whatever, that ties into the whole Woody arc.

None of this lost love, Darth Maul cartel poo poo, or explaining where Han got every little bit of iconic gear down to his vest, or whatever was going on with Kessel I don't even remember why they had to go there and do the droid revolution bullshit. No gambling for the Falcon, and no more attempts to try to explain away Han being an internet science crank in the first movie telling Ben and Luke his ship is so fast it makes measures of distance shorter.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

moths posted:

I mean battle droids are also clearly people. The only ones that aren't (clearly people) are the ones in the background that just do some monotonous task - but, then you have to question whether or not they're just not given a chance to express personhood.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That Old Tree posted:

or explaining where Han got every little bit of iconic gear down to his vest
God, this. Second worst thing about the film and such a common symptoms of prequelitis.

Original Trilogy Han probably lifted that blaster out of the bar's lost property box 30 seconds before he shot greedo with it.

That Old Tree posted:

whatever was going on with Kessel
A fun part of prequels jamming everything ever mentioned about a character into a single film is that it makes the characters incredibly pathetic. It turns Han's bragging about the kessel run from a throwaway line referring to a minor aspect of a lifetime of adventure, to a sad, middle aged man yet again pulling out his one story about the only cool thing he ever did.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The thing is, I don't think every feature that features violence has to be a particular meditation on violence, so 'are droids, or random bad guys, etc people' just feels like a weird distraction.

Also the Kessel Run line is much, much better when it's bullshit(as the script says) and the 10 zillion people trying to find a way for Han to not be full of poo poo don't understand anything about media.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Omnicrom posted:

Yep...

Somebody might have originally but Solo's production was 'troubled' and they brought in Ron Howard to shove the thing out the door who probably didn't care so much about implications as what was on the shooting list that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I enjoyed Solo more than Rogue 1, which people seem to really like.