Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This wasn't really what you asked, but, I think it's reasonable to assume that next week's Part 7 of 7 is wrapping up the 'Getting Eris ready for the rumble in the jungle'

Then we probably have to wait for the weekend before New Season to stand on the plates that make Xivu die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

TopHatGenius posted:

Is the adept weapon from this week's GM good? I got an alright roll (perpetual motion/incandescent) but something about these latest adepts seem underwhelming.

It's weird.

The non-adept version has lower base stats than Strident Whistle, the only other legendary Solar Precision bow. However, its perk pool is better and considerably smaller, and the Wild Card origin trait should be very strong on bows.

(I have no idea why a NF weapon is getting out-statted by Vanguard loot pool junk. Bungo dot txt.)

Archer's Tempo with Explosive Head or Incandescent are tried and true combinations. Rangefinder/OpeningShot or Archer's Tempo / Successful Warmup look appealing in PvP.

My thought is "better than Strident Whistle, can compete with Raconteur / Under Your Skin / Stag if you get a good roll, but ultimately it's still a legendary primary bow and Wishender exists"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What would be funny would be if they end next week's story going "ok now spend the rest of the season sending Eris tribute," and then we get to the final week and turns out player engagement is so low that we failed to get enough tribute and Eris just gets loving eaten.

They haven't the balls to do that, but it would be funny.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What would be funny would be if they end next week's story going "ok now spend the rest of the season sending Eris tribute," and then we get to the final week and turns out player engagement is so low that we failed to get enough tribute and Eris just gets loving eaten.

When all seems lost, Drifter shows up with a bag of Ammits

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I remember thinking back during that community event in Season of the Worthy where everyone had to do its terrible public event enough times that I may be witnessing the first time I've seen one of these kinds of events fail.

Then they pretty much publicly said "gently caress it, we're juicing the numbers."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If they actually went through with killing Eris the community would unite to march on Bellvue and burn down the Bungie offices so I'm not that worried. Whether or not this plan actually works is another question, it's also been hinted that Ahsa is the weak link and in this kind of story the first try at the big fight never goes well

Pirate Jet posted:

Then they pretty much publicly said "gently caress it, we're juicing the numbers."

IIRC it was completions to unlock Felwinter's Lie and they had to cut the target because there wasn't enough shotgunning happening

Of course a lot of salty people in crucible wouldn't have been too sad if it had remained locked

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's going on with Ahsa, anyway? Did she end up doing anything of note last season, or start working on anything this season?

Friendship ended with Destiny Space Whale

Now Star Wars Ahsoka Space Whale is my new best friend

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's going on with Ahsa, anyway? Did she end up doing anything of note last season, or start working on anything this season?

She's somehow associated with Eris being able to turn into a hive god.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Paracelsus posted:

She's somehow associated with Eris being able to turn into a hive god.

She's related to the Hive worms, apparently, who are themselves in the same part of the foodchain as Ahamkara

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

At the end of last season, Ahsa had finally been given enough darkness seaweed to have the strength to tell Sloane that only Savathun knew the secret to beating the Witness. So we asked Immaru to resurrect her so she could fill us in, but Immaru is refusing to do it unless we deal with Xivu Arath first. All of this is according to Savathun's plan, which she made before being killed by gaming out various predictions for how the factions on both sides of the war would react to future events

It was revealed a couple of weeks ago that the only reason this tribute scheme is working at all, and the reason Eris has not yet gone insane and been consumed by the ~sword logic~, is that thanks to the ritual she cast in the opening cutscene, Ahsa is now her worm. And that's where all the tribute is actually going. She isn't part of the Hive pyramid scheme so it's just building up in her, which according to lore cards is very unpleasant but she still wants to help fight Xivu

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 27, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

haveblue posted:

At the end of last season, Ahsa had finally been given enough darkness seaweed to have the strength to tell Sloane that only Savathun knew the secret to beating the Witness. So we asked Immaru to resurrect her so she could fill us in, but Immaru is refusing to do it unless we deal with Xivu Arath first. All of this is according to Savathun's plan, which she made before being killed by gaming out various predictions for how the factions on both sides of the war would react to future events

It was revealed a couple of weeks ago that the only reason this tribute scheme is working at all, and the reason Eris has not yet gone insane and been consumed by the ~sword logic~, is that thanks to the ritual she cast in the opening cutscene, Ahsa is now her worm. And that's where all the tribute is actually going. She isn't part of the Hive pyramid scheme so it's just building up in her, which according to lore cards is very unpleasant but she still wants to help fight Xivu

Oh dang, that's cool! Thank you

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Also I'm pretty sure that Sloane threatened to attack the tower if anything happens to Ahsa because of Eris' scheme. So that would be fun to see.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

In a vacuum, I think "Eris loses" would make me super pissed off with the story, and would be worse story telling then all of Lightfall. The Hive, Xivu, and Immaru are all absolutely deserving of a good, strong dunking on. The Hive/Xivu getting wrecked because Sword logic is incredibly stupid and hypocritical is exactly what I want, and should happen.

But I'm assuming this season probably will end with Xivu being "tricked" and/or making her realize that The Witness' final shape is not the final shape she wants. I doubt we're killing her in a weekly story quest, but maybe she'll get stuck in a wack rear end crystal prison or something so she's off the table for awhile. Then again, I guess with the whole Throne World thing, we can kill her but she'll be able to come back for whatever future Hive story they want.

If there's any swerve with this season's story, I think it could be "Savathun doesn't get rez'd" and Eris somehow gets the info we need without rezing her. It feels like part of Eris' vengeance also applies to Savathun, and so much of the season is carrying a vibe of "Savathun is tricking us" for it to conclude "Savathun tricked us" might come across a bit dumb? (And was pretty much the plot of Season of the Lost anyways)

that said, I'm second guessing that prediction pretty hard cause I doubt they're throwing away a good character like Savathun away, not when they've done so much setup towards "there's not a lot of reason for her not to be working with us, or at least, not against us."

I wanted to think against Savathun being rez'd cause I couldn't see next season being Hive based, but it could just as easily be Savathun sending us on an treasure hunt of macuffins we need to get into the Travelussy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It'd be kind of funny from a "what did you expect" perspective though. A whole two months of tribute versus like a billion years of it. Yeah that'll do it good luck champ!!! Alternately everyone just forgets about the Oversoul and throne world respawn stuff and none of this matters in any way because Savathun and Xivu kill each other like all the time and we all have a good laugh and bury the hatchet and Xivu has her new sister.

ChaosReaper posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that Sloane threatened to attack the tower if anything happens to Ahsa because of Eris' scheme. So that would be fun to see.

I know models are hard but it's bullshit that Sloane's just Sloane with a Taken effect and not Sloane in her cool weird hosed up battle armor

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 27, 2023

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Oxyclean posted:

If there's any swerve with this season's story, I think it could be "Savathun doesn't get rez'd" and Eris somehow gets the info we need without rezing her. It feels like part of Eris' vengeance also applies to Savathun, and so much of the season is carrying a vibe of "Savathun is tricking us" for it to conclude "Savathun tricked us" might come across a bit dumb? (And was pretty much the plot of Season of the Lost anyways)

Go read this week's lorebook entry!

Immaru reviews Savathun's messages/instructions for him, and one of them is "Eris may actually figure out how to defeat Xivu / get into the Traveler without rezzing me, if she's willing to sacrifice the Vanguard / humanity to get the necessary tithes -- in which case, she's the new leader of the Hive and your new boss, sucks to be you"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

To be fair it seems extremely easy to trick anyone in Destiny, including Savathun herself. Just say anything at all and then do something else. Hell, do the thing you were going to do and say it was a trick anyway. That seems to work also. Maybe we'll just trick the Witness into making a final shape where he punches himself in the megaminds

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just looking at it from a meta/4th wall perspective,

This is Season of the WITCH. There is going to be a conflict between the two Witches (Savathun and Eris), and in order for Savathun to make an appearance, Xivu has to be defeated.

Xivu's getting swept off the board since the story demands it! She can be defeated-but-not destroyed this season, because we have a Dungeon to visit next season. Great place to go put the final kibosh on her.

This season is beating us over the head with 'Savathun is too tricky and Xivu is too strong' and also 'Eris wants vengeance' so if you ask me, Eris is going to win. We can't beat Xivu through fighting, and we can't beat Savathun via trickery. Eris just has to outsmart Xivu and overpower Savathun.

There's also Chekov's Oubliette. Someone is getting imprisoned. Or released?

Immaru doesn't like Savathun and doesn't want her to come back. He saw the appeal in being a free agent. He admires strength and cunning. Could he end up as ghost to a new witch queen? I'd love to see Eris empowered with the light. If she could cast off the Hive Taint, she would finally be totally, spiritually and physically, cleared of her trauma on the moon. The best vengeance is to live well.

Also, let's look at some parallels between our two Witch Queens this season (Savathun always loved reflections)

1. Eris is a former Guardian, now acting as a Hive God ||| Savathun's a former Hive God, now acting as a Guardian
2. Eris is powered by the Tithes ||| Savathun is infused with the Light
3. Eris has a paracausal creature (Ahsa), thought to have been hunted to extinction by the Hive ||| ... Can you think of a paracausal creature that Savathun might have hidden up her sleeve? Maybe one thought hunted to extinction by the Guardians? :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Of course! She's going to steal all the ahamkara exotics from the vault! Wearing a million young ahamkara bones, a bunch of skulls as kneepads, and dual wielding 1k voices, what a heist

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like they're also setting up a good / bad version of each faction for after the light saga finishes.

Mithrax / Eramis for the fallen, Calus / Caiatl for the Cabal and possibly Savathûn / Xivu Arath for the hive? The vex are kind of just there and keep fighting / having bits of their tech stolen by both factions although it's possible that vex mind that's embedded in neomuna's ark could end up as a seasonal story point?

Remember Savathûn doesn't actually need the imbaru engine or any of that stuff any more since Mara seperated her from her worm. She can do whatever the gently caress she wants, and if that means honest-to-god allying with the traveller, she can.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeha plus I think the first 4-month-season is called Heresy, which IIRC was a word that Xivu yells over and over and over in ghosts of the deep. Maybe that's a good time for some Xivu Killin'

In any case I REALLY don't think we're going to see any in-game xivu arath combat this year. We probably just get to fight that bigass Knight from week 3 that teleported away at low health and then hear Eris defeat her with facts and logic on comms

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like they're also setting up a good / bad version of each faction for after the light saga finishes.

Calus / Caiatl for the Cabal

I'm sorry isn't Calus dead?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think the Shadow Legion are semi-braindead clones grown in vats. Presumably the Witness controls them & can also promote a guy to In Control Of The Shadow Clones duty

The Wrathborn are similar carte blanche for having Enemy Fallen and Hive forever

Friendly Hive is a very weird concept to me though. I can't see it happening. Maybe we sever a generation of them from the darkness and they revert to Krill and those ones can be our buddies, but I really don't see any Acolytes hanging out in the Tower any time soon

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think the Shadow Legion are semi-braindead clones grown in vats. Presumably the Witness controls them & can also promote a guy to In Control Of The Shadow Clones duty

The Wrathborn are similar carte blanche for having Enemy Fallen and Hive forever

Friendly Hive is a very weird concept to me though. I can't see it happening. Maybe we sever a generation of them from the darkness and they revert to Krill and those ones can be our buddies, but I really don't see any Acolytes hanging out in the Tower any time soon

They just switch to worshiping and annoying the hell out of Eris instead, aiat

Dul Incaru, the Nothing Personal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

They just switch to worshiping and annoying the hell out of Eris instead, aiat

Season-ending cutscene preview found

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

She can be defeated-but-not destroyed this season, because we have a Dungeon to visit next season. Great place to go put the final kibosh on her.

We just had a hive dungeon, I don't think we're getting another anytime soon. We've had 2 hive, 2 taken, 1 cabal, 1 vex, and 1 fallen. I'd bet on fallen, since Grasp is older than Duality and Spire and its weapons weren't fallen-themed.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Listerine posted:

I'm sorry isn't Calus dead?

Yeah but you know they're gonna come up with some story excuse as to why his loyalists are still yukking it up

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Paracelsus posted:

We just had a hive dungeon, I don't think we're getting another anytime soon. We've had 2 hive, 2 taken, 1 cabal, 1 vex, and 1 fallen. I'd bet on fallen, since Grasp is older than Duality and Spire and its weapons weren't fallen-themed.

That's reasonable, but also I don't think Bungie considers this too much. We get lots of consecutive season/raid/dungeons focused on the same race and plenty that are long, long overdue

But a 'Dungeon that resolves Xivu plot' wouldn't necessarily be Hive. It could involve Eramis and the Wrathborn (Fallen + Hive), Scorn, Taken, hell even the Vex could make an appearance doing whatever goofy stuff they do!

At this point, with 1 dungeon, 1 season, and 1 Final Shape Campaign left to resolve the entire saga, I think they're gonna let plot beats dictate the content and not balance out enemy race appearances.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The Vex and the 9 seem like the biggest things that will be left over after The Final Shape.

Of course, Bungie is fine leaving behind fragments of obsolete factions. The Fallen and Red Legion in the EDZ are basically leftovers following nobody at this point.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ponzicar posted:

The Vex .. will be left ... after The Final Shape.

The Winnower made this post

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not really convinced Xivu will be dealt with in a dungeon. The dungeons so far haven't really dealt with anyone important directly. Duality was just some extra backstory on Calus, Spire of the Watcher was mostly just there to tease at some of the Neomuna stuff, and Ghosts was Xivu backstory.

I'm going to guess the next dungeon might give us more insight into The Witness, and be taken themed. Or maybe Eramis for some reason.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Throwing my shot: Next dungeon will be scorn / dreaming city and it'll be really dumb as we spin our wheels getting to final shape.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Was there ever any upshot from the temporal anomalies on Mars when it came back? It kind of seemed like that was going to be a huge thing, but then it's just briefly mentioned in the first level of witch queen and then you can kind of see it in the background of the enclave, and then just... Nothing?

The witness can cut holes in time and we're just not concerned about that?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Was there ever any upshot from the temporal anomalies on Mars when it came back? It kind of seemed like that was going to be a huge thing, but then it's just briefly mentioned in the first level of witch queen and then you can kind of see it in the background of the enclave, and then just... Nothing?

They were part of the Spire dungeon. I think the entire dungeon takes place in one?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We're actually very concerned with the Witness, and most actions we've taken since that time have been directly focused on him!

Also I didn't realize we had promo pics for the 3 Episodes already. Heresy is literally a hive sword so I guess my official prediction is Xivu Gets Dead-Dead in Year 7 Episode 3

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

ponzicar posted:

They were part of the Spire dungeon. I think the entire dungeon takes place in one?

Spire is just an old facility on Mars that's been there since the Golden Age. The time anomolies may be related to the relic we use to build guns but are never defenitivly explained.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We also use the time anomalies to bring the Osmium King's Worm Familiar back to life.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We also use the time anomalies to bring the Osmium King's Worm Familiar back to life.

Isn't that Savathun/Sathona's and it's just crusty? That guy wouldn't have one right

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RBA Starblade posted:

Isn't that Savathun/Sathona's and it's just crusty? That guy wouldn't have one right

The worm we find in the Temple of Sathona is the 'familiar' of the Osmium King. I don't know if it was implanted in the guy since they don't use the term Worm Familiar in other contexts. Maybe he just had one that hung out with him??

Savathun's worm was ripped out & kept by Mara, and was eventually tricked into occupying the Parasite weapon!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The worm we find in the Temple of Sathona is the 'familiar' of the Osmium King. I don't know if it was implanted in the guy since they don't use the term Worm Familiar in other contexts. Maybe he just had one that hung out with him??

Savathun's worm was ripped out & kept by Mara, and was eventually tricked into occupying the Parasite weapon!

The story went that the king had it and it spoke to him, it wasn't a symbiote or parasite like the ones the hive have now. The whole "king is making decisions based on his almost-dead pet" was why another set of krill set upon his kingdom and the sisters fled to the deep. There's more to it than that, but that's the gist of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I missed that part in Witch Queen, I thought they called out you looted it from a statue of Savona in her temple and just assumed from there it was old and grody

I also thought that same worm became Parasite, I'm coming from this way later I guess it wasn't very clear lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 28, 2023