Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lol at changing Amazon to Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Genthil posted:

I usually enjoy HausOfDecline's stuff but find that comic to be unfunny, I'm just tired of people invoking Godwin's Law on this cartoon even as a joke lol.
The comic is great because I can hear "I think we're gonna have to kill this guy, Steven" perfectly in Garnet's voice

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

KingKalamari posted:

I always feel like I'm in the minority, because I actually like Ronaldo. Maybe I just have a higher than average tolerance for watching Reddit weirdos being terrible?

I've always been willing to cut him some slack since he's not only just a teenager(and thus has an unfinished brain ravaged by hormones) but also one who is clearly suffering from untreated and undiagnosed mental illnesses

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

I always feel like I'm in the minority, because I actually like Ronaldo. Maybe I just have a higher than average tolerance for watching Reddit weirdos being terrible?

I feel like there's two very distinct Ronaldoes that are only vaguely connected by being weird nerds, but very different breeds of weird nerd.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

That would be odd because Yokai Watch stopped being super popular years before Ghost Game, not that there probably isn't some DNA of it in there, but I'd have to look at any major staff connections.
I'm not sure that's true. They've been making yokai watch cartoons continuously since 2014 and the tone of ghost game is perhaps most similar to the episodic plots in the show Yokai Watch Shadowside which aired in 2018-2019 and had a slightly darker tone than the original yokai watch show.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like there's two very distinct Ronaldoes that are only vaguely connected by being weird nerds, but very different breeds of weird nerd.

I think they're more related than you'd think, especially if you view it from the perspective that his core nerd archetype is "mall ninja who thinks ki powers are real". That's the archetype that really bridges the "weeb" and "Conspiracy weirdo" aspect of his personality.

What I'm saying is that Ronaldo has 12 black belts in martial arts that involve waving your hands at the instructor until he pretends to be immobilized by your psychic powers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Genthil posted:

I recently rewatched all of Steven Universe for the first time in years and can conclude that's it's still one of the best children's cartoons out there from beginning to end. I'm not going to even pretend to understand the people who think show went downhill after season 2/3. SU Future was also just as good as the main series, if not better.

I think Future wasn't good just because it seemed so strangely divorced from the previous series, especially near the end because I feel like the show was saying that no one was listening to Steven's problems and he had all this suffering inside, but like, that was never really shown at all? I mean I get that a lot could be explained by "well he's going through puberty, of course his emotions are going wild", but like, all people do throughout the series is be open to him. Like I guess you could argue that he ends up having all the gems trauma dump on him, but it's not like he's ever been some kid who's burdened with toxic masculinity views imposing that "boys don't cry" or anything, he talks about his emotions with everyone all the time. I mean literally up until the finale, every character's trying to talk to him, to get him to open up, etc., but the show is acting like they're not listening enough. I get what they're going for, it's ultimately a big message about mental health, and it's especially poignant in light of Zach Callison's actual mental health issues, but it just doesn't feel natural when placed in the show as it is.

Then the finale hits and the solution is a big hug. I forget who, but I remember someone on Twitter making fun of it saying "Oh so the answer was everyone needed to love Steven harder"

I think mostly my problems stem from an issue that I have with a lot of shows that go on for a long time (and particularly those that deal with teens) where they recontextualize/retcon jokes as "actually these were bad" moments. Like I know I've seen more than one show have a guy who drinks a lot for comedy (whether it's just for sardonic remarks or more over-the-top stuff) and then later the show tries to make it a serious message about alcoholism.

All that whining aside though, I loved SU Original Recipe and thought the movie was a perfect capstone for everything.... I just wish it would have ended there.

e: oh also I just remembered that I kind of hated how the show just kept revealing more and more ways that Rose was a piece of poo poo. And then Future just had to add "Oh she treated that white Pearl so badly she physically and mentally broke" to the pile, like here's one more for the road folks

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mystes posted:

I'm not sure that's true. They've been making yokai watch cartoons continuously since 2014 and the tone of ghost game is perhaps most similar to the episodic plots in the show Yokai Watch Shadowside which aired in 2018-2019 and had a slightly darker tone than the original yokai watch show.

I didn't say it stopped being a franchise, just that it's not the franchise powerhouse that it used to be. It's not exactly an original tone given that there's been more than a few kids oriented horror themed series with the most well known being Gegege no Kitaro which also aired it's most recent series from 2018-2020.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Why does Hitler have a handlebar mustache?

Also, I do not get where people think Steven is a wuss. Dude legit loses his temper and throws hands on the reg. And the guy is legit way more angry than he lets on. So many fans bitch that he was too easy to hand out unearned Zukos on character but bro was messed upinside about it and legit wished he ozaied the fools instead. Like, he's a kind person and he tries to be nice, but he don't gently caress around when people be acting like poo poo and he will throw hands if he need to.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've found it hard to follow the later Steven Universe stuff, since it wants to double down on trying to specifically follow Steven, when I've always found all the other characters more interesting. It's not like the show ever broke focus on him in the first place, and all of a sudden getting anxiety like he's been repressed doesn't really dovetail with how he has constantly been touchy-feely and in touch with his feelings for the entire rest of the series.

There is some point in the runtime of the show where its energy starts to drain out and it's just treading water. Steven stops being a kid at some point, and the other characters starting to develop their more erratic emotions helped to fill in the gap, but stepping back away from that really slows things down.

Covok posted:

Why does Hitler have a handlebar mustache?

Captain Planet was a loving wild series. It really jumped around on what kinds of issues it wanted to be relevant on without really having the depth or acumen to actually address them. There was one episode about IRA bombings that I don't remember how it went, but it's absolutely bizarre.

And Ted Turner threw around a lot of his influence trying to make his show to preach morals regardless of his lack of having much morals to actually preach, so he got a lot of big name celebrities on the show to help carry it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TwoPair posted:

e: oh also I just remembered that I kind of hated how the show just kept revealing more and more ways that Rose was a piece of poo poo. And then Future just had to add "Oh she treated that white Pearl so badly she physically and mentally broke" to the pile, like here's one more for the road folks

This was the part that kind of soured me on the back half of Steven Universe. I understand what they were trying to do - show us a character's character development and redemption arc, but in reverse - but they just kept piling on reasons Rose was a huge shithead without taking time to show us the ways Rose was a good person in the end. Honestly by the time they got to the cracked Pearl it just got darkly funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The main issue with Ronaldo is he gets treated as a mean spirited caricature in a show where everyone else gets to be more multi faceted. (Pun not intended)

And why is it weird to assume Steven hadn't been affected by toxic masculinity? He grew up in a society clearly meant to be modern America. That poo poo is background radiation at all levels. And then he's pulled into a millennia long intergalactic war and a society that disdains emotion at literally the highest levels, with his primary parental figures having shittons of repressed trauma and loss.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

This was the part that kind of soured me on the back half of Steven Universe. I understand what they were trying to do - show us a character's character development and redemption arc, but in reverse - but they just kept piling on reasons Rose was a huge shithead without taking time to show us the ways Rose was a good person in the end. Honestly by the time they got to the cracked Pearl it just got darkly funny.

They do kinda lean into that with Steven casually mentioning his mom was a war criminal. There's kind of a vibe that Rose was ready to end her existence because of how deep a hole she'd dug herself into.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

The proper Marvel name for them is Sleazoids.

I thought they were the Brood, and Sleazoids was just a nickname Kitty gave them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kitty Pride loves using slurs so that tracks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TwoPair posted:

I think Future wasn't good just because it seemed so strangely divorced from the previous series, especially near the end because I feel like the show was saying that no one was listening to Steven's problems and he had all this suffering inside, but like, that was never really shown at all?

That wasn't the problem, the problem was that they were willing to listen but Steven was so ashamed by how badly he was handling himself that he didn't want to let anyone in. The series didn't get "solved with a hug", the ending of I Am My Monster was most Steven realising that even after he hit rock bottom emotionally his family would still be in his corner (because a recurring theme in future is his irrational fear that if his family and friends see how bad things are getting they'll distance themselves from him), which allowed him to finally let them in and start to heal by getting therapy. It also didn't help that his powers were still developing, but he was finally hitting the core of his mother's Gem, aka the diamond powers that she'd repressed for so long which exacerbated the situation due to them being mostly destructive.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 28, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fired up Disney+ cause I suddenly had a hankering for old Disney toons

Pros: 60’s Goofy How To videos

Cons: no Runaway Brain still? Nothing with Ludwig Von Drake?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought they were the Brood, and Sleazoids was just a nickname Kitty gave them.

Their home planet is only ever referred to as "Sleazeworld".

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

BioEnchanted posted:

That wasn't the problem, the problem was that they were willing to listen but Steven was so ashamed by how badly he was handling himself that he didn't want to let anyone in. The series didn't get "solved with a hug", the ending of I Am My Monster was most Steven realising that even after he hit rock bottom emotionally his family would still be in his corner (because a recurring theme in future is his irrational fear that if his family and friends see how bad things are getting they'll distance themselves from him), which allowed him to finally let them in and start to heal by getting therapy. It also didn't help that his powers were still developing, but he was finally hitting the core of his mother's Gem, aka the diamond powers that she'd repressed for so long which exacerbated the situation due to them being mostly destructive.

Exactly, the problem Steven was dealing with wasn't one of toxic masculinity, but rather a toxic attitude can fall into when they regularly shoulder too much of the responsibility of the emotional wellbeing of those around them. Over the course of the series, and especially in the time skip between the original and Future, Steven had kind of taken on the role of the guy who helps everyone with their problems, and when you make yourself the rock that everyone else leans on it can put you in a position where you neglect your own mental health; if you don't have your poo poo together, what's that going to do for everyone who's depending on you to keep their poo poo together?

The ultimate message of the finale is that it's okay to not be okay all the time. Sometimes even the strongest people are a mess and there's nothing wrong or shameful about that.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They do kinda lean into that with Steven casually mentioning his mom was a war criminal. There's kind of a vibe that Rose was ready to end her existence because of how deep a hole she'd dug herself into.

See, I actually liked what they did with the reverse character arc of Rose, but I feel like they kind of left it unfinished by series end from Steven's perspective. By the end of Future the impression I got is that Steven kind of resents his mother, or at least doesn't have the best overall impression of her, which I feel kind of does a disservice to the character arc they set up for Rose. I don't think Steven should come out of the series thinking "Oh golly gee, my mom was just super swell" but more than anything what it felt like the theme they really wanted to impress on the audience about Rose was that she was a messy, complicated character who had good intentions but made a whole bunch of mistakes, but that story feels incomplete without Steven examining everything he's learned about her and developing a more complete picture of who his mom was as a person.

Leaving Steven with just the attitude of "Yeah, my mom kind of sucked" overall feels like it misses the larger picture of who Rose was as a character and works somewhat counter to the complexity of her story that the narrative had built.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

And Ted Turner threw around a lot of his influence trying to make his show to preach morals regardless of his lack of having much morals to actually preach, so he got a lot of big name celebrities on the show to help carry it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVzLzClY2E8

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I liked the idea of Future but I could only watch about half of it because I just found Steven's self-destruction too stressful to watch. I'd I can watch a guy get cut in half and it's fine but certain kinds of emotionally charged conversations make me wanna just leave the room. I don't know what that says about me as a person. The parts I saw were good, and the parts I read about also sounded good.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
it does leave things on a little more sour note compared to what came before

SU & the movie: you have problems with relationships, codependency, abuse, abandonment, fascism, genocide? no problem, go see Pagliacci
SU Future: Pagliacci is sad

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Future is a pretty interesting examination of how solving the plot of SU probably shouldn’t have been the responsibility of its title hero, but I think it also required the characters to not talk to Steven in-between each episode after he visibly and obviously self-destructs each week. The miscommunication and how trauma is hard to solve is really compelling, even when intentionally frustrating.

But it’s a sort of deconstructionist story that I didn’t think SU needed to be. We already knew Steven took too much on his shoulders. That was the text of the show, not subtext. Having that build into Steven manifesting into a monster of his own trauma just left a bad taste in my mouth.

When I want a show to examine the traumas of classic cartoon heroes, I kinda already have Venture Bros.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KingKalamari posted:

Exactly, the problem Steven was dealing with wasn't one of toxic masculinity, but rather a toxic attitude can fall into when they regularly shoulder too much of the responsibility of the emotional wellbeing of those around them. Over the course of the series, and especially in the time skip between the original and Future, Steven had kind of taken on the role of the guy who helps everyone with their problems, and when you make yourself the rock that everyone else leans on it can put you in a position where you neglect your own mental health; if you don't have your poo poo together, what's that going to do for everyone who's depending on you to keep their poo poo together?

Like I said, I get that. What I'm saying is that while Steven does play the rock that other people go to a lot, he's not a character who bottles his emotions or anything; he vents to plenty of characters about his problems and just tells others he's not equipped to handle certain problems plenty of times. Future Steven doesn't do that because... well, I guess he's older? I guess they try to justify it with the fact that he's been building his school and re-educating Gems non-stop so he's been acting as the rock to way more rocks (:rimshot:) to the detriment of his own mental health, but it kind of really requires them to change a lot of his character (imo) with a lot of this development just happening off-screen during the timeskip, which is just not good character building (again, imo). I kind of feel like Sugar/the team had the ending in mind for the show for a while and just twisted Steven/the other characters around to get there.

I know I'm coming off a little confused/all-over-the-place here, but I think what I'm ultimately trying to say is:

Nerdietalk posted:

But it’s a sort of deconstructionist story that I didn’t think SU needed to be. We already knew Steven took too much on his shoulders. That was the text of the show, not subtext. Having that build into Steven manifesting into a monster of his own trauma just left a bad taste in my mouth.

When I want a show to examine the traumas of classic cartoon heroes, I kinda already have Venture Bros.

Bingo, that's it, that's my problem with SUF, and I shouldn't have bothered typing the rest of this post out lol.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 29, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
However, SU:F also gave us Pearl fused with Pearl (Prince Pearl?) as one last Utena tribute and for that alone it is essential

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Assepoester posted:

The comic is great because I can hear "I think we're gonna have to kill this guy, Steven" perfectly in Garnet's voice

:same:

Estelle ftw

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

KingKalamari posted:

See, I actually liked what they did with the reverse character arc of Rose, but I feel like they kind of left it unfinished by series end from Steven's perspective. By the end of Future the impression I got is that Steven kind of resents his mother, or at least doesn't have the best overall impression of her, which I feel kind of does a disservice to the character arc they set up for Rose. I don't think Steven should come out of the series thinking "Oh golly gee, my mom was just super swell" but more than anything what it felt like the theme they really wanted to impress on the audience about Rose was that she was a messy, complicated character who had good intentions but made a whole bunch of mistakes, but that story feels incomplete without Steven examining everything he's learned about her and developing a more complete picture of who his mom was as a person.

It's hard to be too critical of anything in SU feeling rushed or incomplete, because CN cancelled the show before it could finish properly - there was supposed to be another whole season between Reunited and the finale.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I can't take credit for these (tumblr user nosleep83) but I love them anyway so:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Junpei posted:

I can't take credit for these (tumblr user nosleep83) but I love them anyway so:

Now got me wondering what the axes for Leo and Raph would be?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

YggiDee posted:

I liked the idea of Future but I could only watch about half of it because I just found Steven's self-destruction too stressful to watch. I'd I can watch a guy get cut in half and it's fine but certain kinds of emotionally charged conversations make me wanna just leave the room. I don't know what that says about me as a person. The parts I saw were good, and the parts I read about also sounded good.

Because you're much less likely to see a dude get cut in half or experience being cut in half yourself.

I think someone had it right that Steven Universe Future is about how you shouldn't want more Steven Universe, because best case scenario there's nowhere for him to go but to finally get therapy for his PTSD.

Junpei posted:

they'rethesamepicture.jpg

Also love they include the Batman vs TMNT ones.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When Venture Brothers deconstructs the childhood trauma of cartoon heroes, it has the advantage that it's actually working with its own original characters who are just tributes to the originals, so it has the freedom to emphasize its own ideas. Race Bannon never sliced dudes apart in front of Johnny Quest, even though you can imagine it happening as an extension of the fights the Quests got into.

When Steven Universe deconstructs itself, it kinda ends up contradicting how Steven was depicted in the earlier show in a way that rankles me.

fractalairduct posted:

It's hard to be too critical of anything in SU feeling rushed or incomplete, because CN cancelled the show before it could finish properly - there was supposed to be another whole season between Reunited and the finale.

On the one hand, I got the feeling like the show was doing a lot of treading water until it had an idea of how long it would have to work with, but on the other hand, the Diamonds being stuck on Earth would've been full of fun character moments and it would've given their character development more time to breathe.

drrockso20 posted:

Now got me wondering what the axes for Leo and Raph would be?

Leo I guess would be on an axis between stoic leader and wild crazyman with only one Leo being on the other side.

Most Raphs are angry, but the two main different Raphs are the 80s cartoon Raph who was a sarcastic funnyman and the Rise Raph being a goofy big brother. Archie comics Raph had an eyepatch, that was neat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Raph is obviously between Cool and Rude.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I blame a lot of the problems that SU had from season 3 onward is that they too quickly abandoned the show's original running aspect of them fighting and capturing corrupted Gems*, made a lot of the later episodes kind of dull(particularly since they made the power gap between the Crystal Gems and that of Homeworld all but insurmountable) and fed even harder into people's accusations that "Townie" episodes in the later seasons were mostly pointless filler(which while not quite true I can see why people think that way, early one the Townie episodes would still intersect with weird Gem stuff while later on it often felt like the writers were actively trying to overly segregate the two sides of Steven's life), basically kind of the accusations Adventure Time got in its later seasons of being "too artsy, not fartsy enough" except swap out the latter part with fighty and there being more merit behind the accusations

Also this one is more of a personal aesthetic preference than anything but I really feel they leaned to hard into straight sci-fi tropes and aesthetic later on compared to early on when they were more heavily riffing on Fantasy and Magical Girl stuff and it just made the show much less vibrant to look at

*in particular they resolved the whole Cluster situation too early and easily

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The line between fantasy and sci-fi is and always has been pretty much nonexistent for magical girl stuff. One of the OG Magical Girls, Cutie Honey, is a literal robot.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Raph would clearly be between Murder and MÜRDËR

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I blame a lot of the problems that SU had from season 3 onward is that they too quickly abandoned the show's original running aspect of them fighting and capturing corrupted Gems*, made a lot of the later episodes kind of dull(particularly since they made the power gap between the Crystal Gems and that of Homeworld all but insurmountable) and fed even harder into people's accusations that "Townie" episodes in the later seasons were mostly pointless filler(which while not quite true I can see why people think that way, early one the Townie episodes would still intersect with weird Gem stuff while later on it often felt like the writers were actively trying to overly segregate the two sides of Steven's life), basically kind of the accusations Adventure Time got in its later seasons of being "too artsy, not fartsy enough" except swap out the latter part with fighty and there being more merit behind the accusations

Also this one is more of a personal aesthetic preference than anything but I really feel they leaned to hard into straight sci-fi tropes and aesthetic later on compared to early on when they were more heavily riffing on Fantasy and Magical Girl stuff and it just made the show much less vibrant to look at

*in particular they resolved the whole Cluster situation too early and easily

To be fair, the cluster arm wrestling Yellow Diamond's ship was pretty rad.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Leo I guess would be on an axis between stoic leader and wild crazyman with only one Leo being on the other side.

Cyclops (8 pictures) - - - - - Jean-Ralphio (1 picture)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminds me that I liked Cyclops in X-Men Evolution. He's not that different necessarily, but the whole context of him just being a teenager still in high school changes so much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Clarence is so loving good you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It really captures something about the weird contextlessness/acceptance of whatever happens that is part of being a kid. It’s the only show brave enough to have kid leads who are as stupid and careless as real children.