Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

WeaponX posted:

He is very good at driving other players insane and drawing penalties. He is also very good at taking bad penalties. He isn’t a total liability offensively but is a total liability with how much he gets himself suspended. Soooo it’s mostly because his last name is Lemieux.

So what you're saying is he could switch jerseys with Bunting and if it weren't for high-def closeups no one would be able to tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Lemieux could probably be an effective 4th liner agitator who pops in some points if he wasn't a spectacular dipshit

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

So what you're saying is he could switch jerseys with Bunting and if it weren't for high-def closeups no one would be able to tell the difference.

Eh, I’m no fan of Bunting but he literally almost eclipsed Lemieux’s 6 year career point total in one season. I would rather have neither on my team but Lemieux is particularly useless at this point. Much cheaper tho!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
If not for his last name and who his dad is Lemieux would have been out of the league already.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
gently caress Claude Lemieux

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fartknocker posted:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

fartknocker posted:

That's how we ended up with Brendan Lemieux in the first place!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres’ first round pick from this past draft, Zach Benson, has been awesome through two preseason games. Last night he played on the top line with Skinner & TAGE and the top PP unit. He might already be able to jump to the NHL. Pretty cool!

Also Levi was extremely good for the two periods he played. It’s just the preseason but it’s still a good sign.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess it's not unheard of for later picks to make the nhl right off the hop at 18 (Ryan O'Reilly did it from the second round)

but it seems like it would be a huge developmental mistake to do it with a kid that clearly undersized
even if he can read the game, as soon as it gets beyond pre-season levels of physicality he's got a good chance of getting really loving hurt

absolutely no need to rush him, but Buffalo will Buffalo

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

absolutely no need to rush him, but Buffalo will Buffalo

Actually Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Flames keep Backlund with a 2x4.5 deal. Name him captain.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres’ first round pick from this past draft, Zach Benson, has been awesome through two preseason games. Last night he played on the top line with Skinner & TAGE and the top PP unit. He might already be able to jump to the NHL. Pretty cool!

Also Levi was extremely good for the two periods he played. It’s just the preseason but it’s still a good sign.

Obviously way too early to say this but insane that Arizona could have walked out of day one of the draft with Michkov and Benson

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ryan Leonard was a fine pick but I feel like Washington would have done better selecting Benson at #8 once Philly drafted Michkov.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Benson rules but yes there is no need to rush him into an already loaded lineup. Preseason really means almost nothing, especially in the early games where there are minimal regulars in lineups and there's low physicality.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

oh preseason hopes and dreams :allears:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

*Checks opponents rosters* oh yeah totally. Just the highest level of competition. He's definitely ready....

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno I think it'd be pretty funny if the Sabres decided to rush their prospects based on looking good against ECHL players, kids from junior, and veterans winding down their careers.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

they've got him charitably listed at 160lbs, he'd get destroyed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jake Guentzel is listed at 5'11" and 180 which even that is a joke. He didn't weigh a pound over 165 soaking wet when he hit the NHL. He has been the physically weakest player in the NHL from the day he debuted in it to the present. Now injuries are already slowing him down and I think he's nearer the end of his career already than commonly believed, but being frail doesn't necessarily mean a guy will get killed to death immediately.

Combining frailty with being totally unprepared for how fast and strong NHL players are though, yeah that could be an issue.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 27, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno I think it'd be pretty funny if the Sabres decided to rush their prospects based on looking good against ECHL players, kids from junior, and veterans winding down their careers.

Come on the Bruins roster couldn’t have been that bad….*checks*….:dogbutton: My god

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

WeaponX posted:

Come on the Bruins roster couldn’t have been that bad….*checks*….:dogbutton: My god

It was their 4th and 5th string goalies and the best NHL forward playing was arguably Milan Lucic.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

The highest level of competition. I assure you.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It was their 4th and 5th string goalies and the best NHL forward playing was arguably Milan Lucic.

Excuse you, Canucks legend Jayson Megna was on the ice

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks legend Hunter Shinkaruk nearly made the team at 18 after a fantastic preseason. We all know of the storied career that followed.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

In have a memory of…John Simm? Being a preseason beast

Kale
May 14, 2010

Habs offense immediately just more existent with Caufield out. Wonder how long it takes him to score.

Ah yes that hallmark of a Habs game, the dumb early penalty.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 28, 2023

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Seeing a classic Caufield one-timer on the PP warms my heart.

Kale
May 14, 2010

neoaxd posted:

Seeing a classic Caufield one-timer on the PP warms my heart.

That whole power play was surprisingly good

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Hell yeah Slaf. Get that confidence back.

Kale
May 14, 2010

And Slafkovsky is here too. All your old Habs friends from before the mid season apocalypse.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Kale posted:

And Slafkovsky is here too. All your old Habs friends from before the mid season apocalypse.

Can I get my friend from before the 2021 apocalypse. He was a really good goalie. :smith:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I need the Habs to be good so that Boston-Montreal is interesting again

I also need them to stop having players I like. I just can't hate Suzuki or Caufield.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I need the Habs to be good so that Boston-Montreal is interesting again

I also need them to stop having players I like. I just can't hate Suzuki or Caufield.

Counterpoint: Boston just needs to decline real hard to meet Montreal on even terms.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

Counterpoint: Boston just needs to decline real hard to meet Montreal on even terms.

Too much talent for that sorry.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

William Trudeau is a very nice surprise.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Too much talent for that sorry.

Then you are going to have to suffer with a Leafs rivalry and nothing else. :colbert:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

Then you are going to have to suffer with a Leafs rivalry and nothing else. :colbert:

That's true. I hate those guys. The Leafs have definitely supplanted Montreal in recent years, even if it's been pretty lopsided in Boston's favor.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

even if it's been pretty lopsided in Boston's favor.

And that, in turn, made me appreciate the Bruins.

We really gotta fix this poo poo, guys. Nothing's right.

Kale
May 14, 2010

neoaxd posted:

William Trudeau is a very nice surprise.

I love that there's a player named Trudeau in this game. And sorry no I think that ship has sailed with the Cowboy good goalie guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Kale posted:

I love that there's a player named Trudeau in this game. And sorry no I think that ship has sailed with the Cowboy good goalie guy.

I'm still in denial, ok.