Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Vandar posted:

City of Thieves has been my favorite episode so far but goddamn, the stupid horse episode made me laugh the hardest. That stupid loving face almost made me fall off the couch laughing at it.

Yeah that first zoom in loving killed me. The only other laugh out loud moments for me so far were with Marcy's Dad trying to take Gunter's soul and Jake showing up for the first time at the end of that episode by rolling over in Finn's pocket and farting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
the poobrain kate beaton horse ruled.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Adventure Time is amazing. I'm watching Fionna and Cake now and after three episodes I do not get the appeal at all. What am I watching? Does the writing stay this mean spirited the whole time?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They do come off very mean and selfish at first, yeah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm on my first trip through right now thanks to you weirdos

Tree Trunks seemed fine and funny, as long as I could dismiss the thought that her voice reminded me of the old man on Family Guy who tries to lure kids with popsicles

I don't ever want to watch the Jiggler episode or anything like it again though

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Data Graham posted:

I don't ever want to watch the Jiggler episode or anything like it again though

Yeah it was a reminder of how autotune used to be loving everywhere (especially in CN commercials), and I'm not sure exactly what it is but for me autotune is uncomfortable to listen to. At least they dropped the singing in autotune gimmick a couple seasons in (apparently)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Neeksy posted:

I've been rewatching the show, and Treetrunks shows up as an extra in episodes between her explosion and revival, so the show definitely wasn't entirely adhering to a strict continuity until it started to build up enough backstory.

those episodes actually aired out of production order; season 1's airing order and production order is a bit of a mess (it doesn't help that various season 1 episodes getting scrapped meant that their production codes would be recycled for later season 1 episodes). for example, according to the old frederator blogs (which nowadays you'd have to wayback machine to see), the first 4 episodes produced were The Enchiridion (which is "officially" episode 3 and ended up airing as episode 5), Prisoners of Love (officially episode 5 and aired as episode 3), Evicted (episode 12, and is one of the eps where Tree Trunks shows up even though it aired after her focus ep), and Ricardio the Heart Guy (episode 7)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

those episodes actually aired out of production order; season 1's airing order and production order is a bit of a mess (it doesn't help that various season 1 episodes getting scrapped meant that their production codes would be recycled for later season 1 episodes). for example, according to the old frederator blogs (which nowadays you'd have to wayback machine to see), the first 4 episodes produced were The Enchiridion (which is "officially" episode 3 and ended up airing as episode 5), Prisoners of Love (officially episode 5 and aired as episode 3), Evicted (episode 12, and is one of the eps where Tree Trunks shows up even though it aired after her focus ep), and Ricardio the Heart Guy (episode 7)

That explains it! Thank you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Huh, I never knew that but it makes a lot of sense. Did any of the other seasons air some episodes out of order?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Larryb posted:

Huh, I never knew that but it makes a lot of sense. Did any of the other seasons air some episodes out of order?

seasons 2-5 mostly aired episodes in order with the occasional odd episode out of place episode (usually not causing problems) but like the middle stretch of season 6 also had a bunch of eps pulled out of place early. Season 7 also appears to be a bit of a jumble at times (there's a few eps that were meant to be pre-Stakes and between Stakes and the Moe christmas special that didn't air until afterwards, for example)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

seasons 2-5 mostly aired episodes in order with the occasional odd episode out of place episode (usually not causing problems) but like the middle stretch of season 6 also had a bunch of eps pulled out of place early. Season 7 also appears to be a bit of a jumble at times (there's a few eps that were meant to be pre-Stakes and between Stakes and the Moe christmas special that didn't air until afterwards, for example)

Is there a guide or something out there that lists the proper watch order then? Fiona & Cake recently inspired me to do a rewatch of the series

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Larryb posted:

Is there a guide or something out there that lists the proper watch order then? Fiona & Cake recently inspired me to do a rewatch of the series

Here's a pastebin I just whipped up mostly based on the official episode parings for the first 6 seasons (because the first 6 seasons had credits for each half hour of episodes, rather than each 11 minute episodes), with some minor tweaks (like having those actual first 4 episodes produced at the start, taking into account the fact that like, for some weird reason the official pairings have the season 3 finale and season 4 premier where they fall in production order rather than as the actual finale/premier, etc). Meanwhile the season 7 list here (as by season 7 each episode had its own end credits) is mostly based off of a leaked photo of list of episodes on a wall in the crew offices that follows airing order closer than production code order (as season 7's production codes also seem to be a bit of a weird jumble) but still has some key differences.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks, also Stakes takes place after Varmints in Season 7 correct?

Related, is Diamonds & Lemons canon and/or worth watching?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Larryb posted:

Thanks, also Stakes takes place after Varmints in Season 7 correct?

Related, is Diamonds & Lemons canon and/or worth watching?

Yeah the individual episodes that make up Stakes are already on the list (Marceline the Vampire Queen to The Dark Cloud)

Diamonds & Lemons isn't canon (since it's some sort of Minecraft tie-in AU) but it's fine enough to be worth checking out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Yeah the individual episodes that make up Stakes are already on the list (Marceline the Vampire Queen to The Dark Cloud)

Diamonds & Lemons isn't canon (since it's some sort of Minecraft tie-in AU) but it's fine enough to be worth checking out

Around what season can you watch the latter then?

Also is Elements in Season 9 just a bunch of episodes from the series stitched together as well (and if so, do the specials add anything to the arcs or does it not make much difference whether you watch them all together or as individual episodes?)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Larryb posted:

Around what season can you watch the latter then?

Also is Elements in Season 9 just a bunch of episodes from the series stitched together as well (and if so, do the specials add anything to the arcs or does it not make much difference whether you watch them all together or as individual episodes?)

oh wait are you watching from a source that has the miniseries separate from the proper seasons? if that's the case Islands is between Jelly Beans Have Power and Orb, while Elements is between Orb and Abstract. Diamonds and Lemons you can just watch between the series finale and Distant Lands

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like it's weird people single out Diamonds and Lemons, since there were a number of probably not canon episodes that were just in a totally different style from the normal show because of a guest director.

My favorite was Food Chain, wherein Finn soul-bonds with and a lady caterpillar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFhd3X8p6g

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Food Chain is awesome because it was the first official production from Science Saru (anime GOAT Masaaki Yuasa's studio, currently working on the Scott Pilgrim anime) and is really just a Yuasa short film that happens to star Finn and Jake. Really excited to watch it now that I'm not a dipshit 10 year old

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the Islands miniseries, how important is the prequel tie-in comic out of curiosity?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

None of the comics are important to the show (I haven't actually gotten around to reading it), though since that specific tie-in was written by one of the show's writers it does have a higher chance of being Canon than most of the comics, so it's like "not required reading but may as well check it out". Same thing with a prequel comic to Stakes written/drawn by a storyboard artist in the 2015 Spooktacular

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

starkebn posted:

Adventure Time is amazing. I'm watching Fionna and Cake now and after three episodes I do not get the appeal at all. What am I watching? Does the writing stay this mean spirited the whole time?

They get a lot of character growth, and by episode 8 you can really see the difference. I dunno which episode really sold me on Fionna and Cake, I think I was pretty invested after episode 2, but it took until 7 and 8 for me to go "oh my god this show is incredible."

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

are the adventure time games any good?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I mean, they're not anything special in terms of normal games, but they're stellar in terms of kids licensed games

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

roomtone posted:

are the adventure time games any good?

The soundtrack for Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!! is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGhAUfiZ6rM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itAYA2wS2C4

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

They get a lot of character growth, and by episode 8 you can really see the difference. I dunno which episode really sold me on Fionna and Cake, I think I was pretty invested after episode 2, but it took until 7 and 8 for me to go "oh my god this show is incredible."

I liked the show from the start but the stupid sexy ice king is what made me realize it was gonna be fantastic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68OueL-Iv2o

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Michael Cera proving even a decade after the fact that he was the perfect choice to play Scott Pilgrim all along.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

My one complaint is that we've lost the 'hey Wallace, what's the web address for Amazon.ca?' gag, but it still looks great.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Just curious, do we have a dedicated Adventure Time thread?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

By the way, Krapopolis is up on Hulu with two episodes available now.

It's... eh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Just curious, do we have a dedicated Adventure Time thread?

Not that I’m aware of

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

We did, like 6 years ago

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I love you all but it might be time to make one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Warbird posted:

I love you all but it might be time to make one.

It might be a bit late though, Fionna & Cake literally ends tomorrow and there hasn’t been any indication we’re getting more AT related content afterwards

But if someone wants to then by all means go ahead

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Oooohh my god I'm so excited for this

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Larryb posted:

It might be a bit late though, Fionna & Cake literally ends tomorrow and there hasn’t been any indication we’re getting more AT related content afterwards

But if someone wants to then by all means go ahead

That’s fair. I suppose if they tease (or were initially ordered for) a second season there may be cause for it. /shrug

Isn’t the new Invincible season supposed to come out in the immediate future?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only solution is for everyone to watch all of Adventure Time + the follow-up shows

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

ah well, if i must

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

We did, like 6 years ago

Yeah, it's long dead/locked now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Escobarbarian posted:

The only solution is for everyone to watch all of Adventure Time + the follow-up shows

I mean this discussion is making me debate it based on what I'm skimming