Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

I will never understand how these people’s heads don’t explode from the sheer force of all the cognitive dissonance. Have fun trying to bond with all the bigots you’ve spent decades getting death threats from over the one hatred you share, I guess.
in her case shes going for some dumb 'im friends with the Good trans people, so its okay for me to make fun of any trans people who dont fit our very narrow definition of whats acceptable'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
least surprising turn of events

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
She's probably not going to be friends with the 'Good trans people' much longer and then whine about how she's being cancelled. She'll fit right in with the terfs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

Brianna Wu just got outed as a massive transphobe.

Group DM where she mocks random trans people's appearance, comparing trans people to gamergate, retweeting UK terfs.
ugh gently caress her

e: i was gonna ask if she still had much to do with the gaming industry post-gamergate and i forgot that she did put out an RPG called Revolution 60 back in 2016

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 27, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm getting deja vu, I could have sworn that Brianna Wu already did something problematic (I think transphobia again) and was already known as a scummy person, it just didn't make waves because she's basically irrelevant

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly, I really never understood how she got any notoriety at all.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think it would be nice if these absolute asshats would at the very least admit that they are bigoted instead of trying to pretend that being transmedicalist is not the same type of bigotry used against "acceptable" trans people. It's not like they actually care if you experience dysphoria or not if you don't conform to the exact binary they expect in my personal experience with people telling me to "choose a lane".

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Feels Villeneuve posted:

She spoke out against gamergate and got a lot of attention (both positive and negative) which really makes comparing “trans twitter” to gamergate even more beyond the pale

why is being transphobic always the end result of being Too Online

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are, in my experience, a lot of people who want to a) be seen as a progressive, good person, and b) be bigots towards queer people they don't personally like, and that's the lane they tend to end up in

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought she was either the original "female developer who hosed a game reviewer for good press" or one people of the accused of being one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ugh god gently caress her. Horrible.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mycot posted:

I thought she was either the original "female developer who hosed a game reviewer for good press" or one people of the accused of being one.

that was zoe quinn, creator of depression quest. (and the loving-journalists-for-reviews accusation came from her angry ex boyfriend)

as far as i can tell brianna wu was originally just some twitter nobody who said "gamergate bad" and somehow that went viral in a bad way and lead to the frothing hordes hyperfocusing on her and sending rape and death threats for years

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

she basically inserted herself into the gamergate stuff and naturally since a bunch of assholes harassed her that meant she was a good person

then she proceeded to make

this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest part of that game was people going 'i mean these characters have really tiny waists and big hips/tits' and she went 'ugh, sorry... i guess our artist learned how to design characters by WATCHING ANIME...'

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that was zoe quinn, creator of depression quest.

as far as i can tell brianna wu was originally just some twitter nobody who said "gamergate bad" and somehow that went viral in a bad way and lead to the frothing hordes hyperfocusing on her and sending rape and death threats for years

Ah, right, thanks. Come to think of it if I'm getting them mixed up then the gossip I saw was probably about Quinn as well :sweatdrop:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Wu was also the weird technocrat who tried running for office off of that notoriety, right, or did I mix up a third person somehow?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

claw game handjob posted:

Wu was also the weird technocrat who tried running for office off of that notoriety, right, or did I mix up a third person somehow?

I believe that's a different Brianna

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tarezax posted:

I believe that's a different Brianna

Nope, same one

She ran for Congress twice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no brianna wu did run for office. resulting in this insane tweet

Orv
May 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

The SDI alive and well.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Orv posted:

The SDI alive and well.

A reboot was announced?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.D.I._(video_game)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh, sure. You just let go of something on the moon and away it falls, up, towards the earth.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If the moon really had such a strategic military advantage The Moon People would of destroyed us when we first invaded during the late 60s.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yeah, you're gonna play as Reagan's ghost dropping moon rocks on Soviet installations. Pretty much just reverse Galaga.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Um... What the gently caress?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that was zoe quinn, creator of depression quest. (and the loving-journalists-for-reviews accusation came from her angry ex boyfriend)

Zoe Quinn also partnered up with Lowtax post SA sale to write about being chased out of internet spaces by awful mean people.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Um... What the gently caress?

It's just physics.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Jim Ryan is quitting

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1707149244996505858

Official statement here:
https://sonyinteractive.com/en/press-releases/2023/new-management-structure-of-sony-interactive-entertainment-2/

quote:

(September 28, 2023, Tokyo / September 27, San Mateo, CA) – Sony Group Corporation and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that SIE President and CEO Jim Ryan has made the decision to retire in March 2024 after almost thirty years with the PlayStation business. To support Mr. Ryan in his transition, Sony Group Corporation President, COO and CFO Hiroki Totoki will assume the role of Chairman of SIE effective October 2023. Effective April 1, 2024, Mr. Totoki will be appointed Interim CEO of SIE while he continues his current role at Sony Group Corporation. Mr. Totoki will work closely with Sony Group Corporation Chairman and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida and the management team of SIE to help define the next chapter of PlayStation’s future, including the succession of the SIE CEO role.

Jim Ryan joined Sony Interactive Entertainment’s Europe-based legal entity, Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) — which was then Sony Computer Entertainment Europe — in 1994. Since then, he has held a number of senior positions at the company including President of SIEE, Head of Global Sales and Marketing at SIE and Deputy President of SIE since January 2018, before being appointed SIE President and CEO.

Comment from Kenichiro Yoshida

“Jim Ryan has been an inspirational leader throughout his entire period with us, but never more so than in overseeing the launch of PlayStation 5 in the midst of the global COVID pandemic. That extraordinary achievement made by the entire SIE team has been steadily built on and PlayStation 5 is on track to become SIE’s most successful console yet. I’m immensely grateful to Jim for all his achievements. Respecting Jim’s decision to finish his long career at Sony leaves me with an important decision regarding his succession given the significance of the Game & Network Services business. We have discussed intensively and have determined the new management structure. We aim to achieve Sony Group’s further evolution and growth through bringing even greater success to the Game & Network Services Business.”

Comment from Jim Ryan

“After 30 years, I have made the decision to retire from SIE in March 2024. I’ve relished the opportunity to have a job I love in a very special company, working with great people and incredible partners. But I’ve found it increasingly difficult to reconcile living in Europe and working in North America. I will leave having been privileged to work on products that have touched millions of lives across the world; PlayStation will always be part of my life, and I feel more optimistic than ever about the future of SIE. I want to thank Yoshida-san for placing so much trust in me and being an incredibly sensitive and supportive leader.”

Comment from Hiroki Totoki

“I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to Jim Ryan for his outstanding achievements and contributions over his 30-year career at Sony, including the great success of launching the PlayStation 5. The PlayStation business managed by SIE is an essential part of Sony Group’s entire business portfolio. I will work with Jim and the senior management team closely to ensure our continued success and further growth. I am also looking forward to creating the exciting future of PlayStation and the game industry together with everyone at SIE and its business partners.”

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 27, 2023

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Conspiracy brain - Is this rumored Sony hack going to be loving enormous?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Nybble posted:

She spoke out against gamergate and got a lot of attention (both positive and negative) which really makes comparing “trans twitter” to gamergate even more beyond the pale

why is being transphobic always the end result of being Too Online

I think it's just a being too opinionated thing. Accepting the variety of trans and gender queer people involves a lot of accepting that you just don't know everything and you don't have to personally understand everything. You just gotta be all "okay" when someone tells you what their life is and just accept that if that's who they believe they are and this and that are what they need to get by then that's cool. And some people just can't let go and cede the floor to the other person, they gotta have their own opinion about everything and everyone and can't accept anything that lies outside of that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

AngryBooch posted:

He’s hanging around until March, so I don’t think this is getting out in front of anything.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

pentyne posted:

Zoe Quinn also partnered up with Lowtax post SA sale to write about being chased out of internet spaces by awful mean people.
Do you have a source on this? It sounds like a hilarious read but I couldn't find it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://medium.com/@richkyanka/trent-reznor-dork-4c53aa8c076f

It's Zoe and Lowtax in a medium article.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lowtax died 6 weeks after this was posted.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

Remember when one of the Apollo astronauts took a golf swing an destroyed Buenos Aires?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OddObserver posted:

Remember when one of the Apollo astronauts took a golf swing an destroyed Buenos Aires?

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill the moon!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AngryBooch posted:

If anything I'd assume the more likely but still conspiracy brain is "good job loving up opposing the actiblizz acquisition"

The thought of a CEO retiring in penance over a security failure with massive personal data impact is almost quaint nowadays, I know some people who wanted to frame their $2 recompense check from the equifax thing but never actually got it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The 7th Guest posted:

ugh gently caress her

e: i was gonna ask if she still had much to do with the gaming industry post-gamergate and i forgot that she did put out an RPG called Revolution 60 back in 2016

finally, the daz3d rpg we've all been waiting for

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
its an iphone game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

its an iphone game

They got those graphics to run on a phone? Hell of a technical achievement for a '94 game.