Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Were there any decent horror anthologies from the past few years aside from VHS 94 and 99? I saw The Mortuary Collection but that was like 3 or 4 years ago already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CelticPredator posted:

If I saw it in the theater I might’ve been spooked. The grey scene in Nope where it was hanging upside down made me yelp

But it’s hard to be spooked when we watched it at dusk while I was eating super spicy hot wings lol

Should’ve had ghost pepper for spooky synergy.

Ghost peppers are actually just annoying to cook with unless you make them into a sauce first. Do not recommend unless you want spicy cred.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It might have been! Idk what was in the sauce bht it was very very good!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey just a heads up if you search " Japanese X rated banned films from the 70s" you get weird results.

I was trying to find gory 1970s Japanese horror. I was not successful

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Were there any decent horror anthologies from the past few years aside from VHS 94 and 99? I saw The Mortuary Collection but that was like 3 or 4 years ago already.

Tiny Cinema.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Basebf555 posted:

Scare Package on Shudder was fun. It's not scary but it was nice to see a horror comedy anthology

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Post-2018, other than the VHS releases, the only decent or better ones have been:

A couple parts of Horror Noire
The Mortuary Collection
Scare Package
The Field Guide to Evil
Tiny Cinema
Nightmare Cinema
Ghost Stories

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Feel like we can almost count the Cabinet of Curiosities, too

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So it's not a movie but is that creepshow anthology series any good?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

For some reason all the Corman Poe movies are leaving Criterion Channel on September 30th, so I'm gonna try and mainline as many of them as I can between Friday and Saturday.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So it's not a movie but is that creepshow anthology series any good?

Yes! It's not incredible, but it's very much in tone with the original movie where it's intentionally cheesy and campy and the effects are goofy as hell sometimes. There's definitely bad episodes, but Creepshow is up there with Cabinet of Curiosities producing some of the best anthology TV horror in years.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

How do you guys usually decide what you're going to watch for October?

I usually just set up everything I haven't watched in front of my TV and then randomly pick from there.

I tried to specifically plan each movie out one year, but it didn't feel as fun, and I like to have friends over and let them choose so they feel like they're involved.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

^ I bounce around with what seems interesting at the time. I did films from each decade, franchise watches, only on streaming. Lately I've been doing what I haven't reviewed yet on past challenges.

Hot Dog Day #89 posted:

Itching for the October horror movie marathon thread.

I'm ready to hit the ground running. Not sure if I'm going to actively complete challenges this go, but rather binge away and if I hit a challenge, it's just gravy.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 27, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I usually just set up everything I haven't watched in front of my TV and then randomly pick from there.

I tried to specifically plan each movie out one year, but it didn't feel as fun, and I like to have friends over and let them choose so they feel like they're involved.

About 70% of my to-do list just comes from stuff people mention in this thread that I note down. The rest is just noticing stuff is hitting streaming, or rewatches I wanna see again.

Then I like doing the challenges so I look for stuff to fill those too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Yea I tend to agree that scheduling things out too specifically can backfire, you end up watching stuff you're not 100% into in the moment just because you'd scheduled it for that day.

I skew more towards old favorites in October though, certainly at least half of what I watch will come from my existing collection. And I have fun with that, looking at the shelf each night and choosing which movie to watch feels like a special occasion because I don't really allow myself to watch Halloween stuff any other month of the year. So when October rolls around it sort of "unlocks" a whole shelf of movies that I'm not allowed to touch the rest of the year.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Having a unit running 24/7 helps, because that way you don't have to pick and the element of surprise can often be part of the fun. My partner and I have our movies we always want to watch around this time of year (classics, personal faves) and then if we hear good buzz around some we add them to the list, or we pick out a yearly theme and build from there. We maintain watchlists throughout the year and then pare things down to what feels reasonable, knowing there will be times where we're out of the house or unable to watch, so it's all a matter of catching whatever we can whenever we can. This year we started our focus around lesser-known or discussed horror films, foreign horror, and cult classics. Last year we focused on Stephen King films and movies that we were previously too scared to watch with the idea that "well, if they're on, we can brave them". Losing the choice paralysis is a HUGE boon.

So yeah, a combination of "hey this sounds interesting, should we add it", "this is a movie we know we love", and "this fits a theme idea we want to focus on". And we have the channel pump Monster Madness and Halloween commercials between each movie to mix things up, as well as have some Tales From the Crypt, Twilight Zone, and horror host stuff too.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I can’t plan them all out, I have to go off my mood that night. That means a lot of old favorites and comfort food genres (dumb, colorful, bloody, 80s-90s). But I do try to cross off some big blind spots while I’m in the zone, especially new releases from the past few years I missed.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Having a unit running 24/7 helps, because that way you don't have to pick and the element of surprise can often be part of the fun. My partner and I have our movies we always want to watch around this time of year (classics, personal faves) and then if we hear good buzz around some we add them to the list, or we pick out a yearly theme and build from there. We maintain watchlists throughout the year and then pare things down to what feels reasonable, knowing there will be times where we're out of the house or unable to watch, so it's all a matter of catching whatever we can whenever we can. This year we started our focus around lesser-known or discussed horror films, foreign horror, and cult classics. Last year we focused on Stephen King films and movies that we were previously too scared to watch with the idea that "well, if they're on, we can brave them". Losing the choice paralysis is a HUGE boon.

So yeah, a combination of "hey this sounds interesting, should we add it", "this is a movie we know we love", and "this fits a theme idea we want to focus on". And we have the channel pump Monster Madness and Halloween commercials between each movie to mix things up, as well as have some Tales From the Crypt, Twilight Zone, and horror host stuff too.

I’m so jealous of having a setup like this! I really miss programming making my decisions for me and the spooky commercials and such in between movies. So much wasted time flipping through libraries. It’s why no matter how crappy they can be I’m always drawn to 24/7 cable-style streamers like Pluto. Really need to get some system like this going.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 27, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Same way I GM RPGs : elaborate and careful planning that is immediately discarded once anything actually happens.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I do double features with a movie I haven't seen (and I haven't seen a lot of classic horror movies. I still haven't seen The Exorcist because I feel like I know the plot through cultural osmosis). And then I follow up that movie with Eraserhead

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deadite posted:

I do double features with a movie I haven't seen (and I haven't seen a lot of classic horror movies. I still haven't seen The Exorcist because I feel like I know the plot through cultural osmosis). And then I follow up that movie with Eraserhead

This year is the 50th anniversary of The Exorcist

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I go to my Letterboxd watch list and sort by shortest films first, I'm terrible

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I use the watchlist on my Letterboxd account exclusively for keeping track of any horror movies that look interesting so that I have a good pool of stuff to choose from in October. Then I just watch whatever sounds good based on how I'm feeling.

I might have some specific stuff I want to try and watch, for example each year I try to do a horror musical as well as watch something from the 50's or earlier, but nothing too firm or rigidly scheduled.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I go to my Letterboxd watch list and sort by shortest films first, I'm terrible

Love this feature on LB, I've fit so many more movies into my schedule thanks to it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
watch every single exorcist movie

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I use augury to decide my spooky movies in October

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I ask a Luigi board

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Biff Rockgroin posted:

filter for unwatched poo poo i have on a hard drive, streaming services, etc and just put them in a list. Don't think, just rattle me bones

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I fly by the seat of my pants and only seek to satisfy my desires in the moment, consequences be damned.

Just like in every other aspect of my life.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ve got a big list and I always end up kinda just doing whatever but the big list helps.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I make a huge list of movies I want to watch. This is the truly noble act which brings you closer to the gods. I then proceed to never watch any of them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do think making some sort of list is important because that's how I avoid the paralysis others have mentioned from endlessly scrolling through streaming menus. At least if you have a list you can easily reference what your options are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I do think making some sort of list is important because that's how I avoid the paralysis others have mentioned from endlessly scrolling through streaming menus. At least if you have a list you can easily reference what your options are.

The one thing I miss from Plex after switching to Jellyfin is that there isn't a (by deafult at least) a quick way to have it play a random movie that hasn't been played before.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I wing it almost entirely at random. Exceptions are big releases; I already have tickets booked for Exorcist: Believer and will for Five Nights at Freddy's as soon as available, I'm also prioritizing Pet Sematary: Bloodlines and Totally Killer, and I might also catch Dark Harvest and Dear David

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dear David is going to be a hoot

And I mean that in the bad way

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I basically just go through lists and if I see a movie I've never seen before on there I watch it

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
In the past I've done things like try to check off all the movies I haven't seen from various top 100 lists, or watch all the films in a particular franchise, but mostly I just watch whatever I feel like at the time plus whatever fits the challenges. If I plan it out too much it starts to feel like a chore by the end of the month.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I make an exhaustive list with multiple challenges and scavenger hunts. “Having” to watch something breaks my paralysis but having so many different challenges means I can still pick and choose a little. I’ll also watch what I want if the mood hits me. It’s a complicated puzzle that works in me accepting I won’t actually complete all my challenges but having them helps me through the doldrums of the month.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The one thing I miss from Plex after switching to Jellyfin is that there isn't a (by deafult at least) a quick way to have it play a random movie that hasn't been played before.

What's Jellyfin? Why use it over Plex? I love my plex

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just watch movies all the time and a lot of them are horror so I change absolutely nothing. Halloween is forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's always Halloween in my soul