Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Would bringing him aboard the lions just be a depth move? We have three good WRs in Sun God, Reynolds, and Jamo coming back soon

Davante is still one of the best WRs in the league, probably even better than Amon Ra (although Amon Ra may fit Goff's skillset better). Davante/Amon Ra/Jamo would be an absolute loving buck wild three-headed monster and it would demand so much attention that it'd take a ton of pressure off of Gibbs and Montgomery. It'd be super expensive but probably be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

He's gonna be a 49er and he's going to lose his mind when Purdy gets injured and he once again is left without a QB.

The 49ers have the cap space to take his contract... it makes too much sense.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MJeff posted:

Davante is still one of the best WRs in the league, probably even better than Amon Ra (although Amon Ra may fit Goff's skillset better). Davante/Amon Ra/Jamo would be an absolute loving buck wild three-headed monster and it would demand so much attention that it'd take a ton of pressure off of Gibbs and Montgomery. It'd be super expensive but probably be worth it.

I wonder if he would like to be part of a winning culture

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jamo has like two career receptions. We have no idea if he's actually good and he can't even practice until mid-October.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

He's gonna be a 49er and he's going to lose his mind when Purdy gets injured and he once again is left without a QB.

Do they have the capital? They traded a bunch to get CMC last year.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jamo has like two career receptions. We have no idea if he's actually good and he can't even practice until mid-October.

There's been a lot of false starts and he and Goff just couldn't connect last year, but all of the pieces are clearly there and I think Jamo is too talented, Johnson is too smart and Goff is too good for this to not work. it just needs time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

ADAMS: I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Rodgers's rear end clay. Mark Davis's van. All gone... like tears in the rain. Time to die (signs with Chicago Bears)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I really want Devante to win a championship.

SKULL.GIF posted:

There or the Cowboys I think. This is the kind of move that Jerruh likes to make. There's also history there with Fat Mike, whether or not that's a positive for Devante who knows.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
It would shock me if Brad Holmes tried to get Davante Adams, not because he's inept but because he hasn't been a "go all in" on a high price player type of GM. I mean... if he thinks he's that one player away maybe that changes. He could come with a side of "gently caress you Green Bay" maybe, bringing the Lions success? I'll take it!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Comfortador posted:

It would shock me if Brad Holmes tried to get Davante Adams, not because he's inept but because he hasn't been a "go all in" on a high price player type of GM. I mean... if he thinks he's that one player away maybe that changes. He could come with a side of "gently caress you Green Bay" maybe, bringing the Lions success? I'll take it!

No, he's very much been "build through the draft, only trade away capital to get more capital", with the lone exception being going up and getting Jamo.

Having said that....he's off the Les Snead tree. FTP is in that man's DNA somewhere and I don't mean gently caress The Packers.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

File transfer protocol?

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

File transfer protocol?

wouldn't the gopher protocol be more apropos in the NFC North

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

epic bacon posted:

wouldn't the gopher protocol be more apropos in the NFC North

Don't badger us with hyper-specific puns please

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
All of our defenses are bad, so FTP is correct.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

MJeff posted:

Didn't Caldwell like.

Run it on 3rd down, with no timeouts left and only a few seconds left, but the Falcons stopped the clock with a penalty, so the Lions could kick the walk-off FG?

Nearly, the Lions got caught for a delay of game as they ran to take the final field goal which Prater missed, they then scored the winning one from 48 yards out. Also, the Falcons were handily winning 21-0 at half time and oh

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Henchman of Santa posted:

He has one! He did have a second TD reception against the Packers last year that was nullified by a penalty.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

tinstaach posted:

He has one! He did have a second TD reception against the Packers last year that was nullified by a penalty.

Haha I had to look it up. He has 1 reception, and 1 rush attempt (I think it was a reverse)

edit: It burns me that we could have had Jordan Davis with that pick, and then Jalen Carter this year. I still think we could've gotten LaPorta because everyone said he was drafted earlier than expected, but who knows.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 27, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

This is a hard truth, and I love Lovie, but firing him to bring in an offensive HC was, in my opinion, one of the few things Emery got right. Your HC needs to be responsible for continuity in the offensive scheme as well, but Lovie couldn’t do that. Tice stunk obv and they were tapped of offensive talent in the building, meaning they’d have to bring in somebody from outside and install a whole new system.

Lovie getting fired had nothing to do with his competence personally. It’s a good thing the guy they brought in was also pretty competent at running a pro team oh wait

It’s a good thing the Bears learned their lesson and didn’t go hire another defense-only Tampa 2 guy oh wait

They literally hired Trestman over Bruce Arians. They absolutely hosed this up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tinstaach posted:

And a bunch of drops in between.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sataere posted:

They literally hired Trestman over Bruce Arians. They absolutely hosed this up.

Sorry I should have been more specific. "Firing Lovie even though he won 10 games because of a systemic lack of continuity at OC" was the correct idea, and one of like 3 things Emery was correct about, even if his next idea "hire an accountant from Canada to run an NFL team" was very bad

Maybe it's just because of how long ago it was, but Trestman just struck me as a geek with no charisma, I could see that kind of dude having a better chance of success in today's game. He had that offense humming, the downfall was that defense being completely void of talent anywhere.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GNU Order posted:

Sorry I should have been more specific. "Firing Lovie even though he won 10 games because of a systemic lack of continuity at OC" was the correct idea, and one of like 3 things Emery was correct about, even if his next idea "hire an accountant from Canada to run an NFL team" was very bad

Maybe it's just because of how long ago it was, but Trestman just struck me as a geek with no charisma, I could see that kind of dude having a better chance of success in today's game. He had that offense humming, the downfall was that defense being completely void of talent anywhere.

How dare you, look at this hunk
https://www.trbimg.com/img-1358366644/turbine/chi-trestman1970qb-20130116/600

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Comfortador posted:

Haha I had to look it up. He has 1 reception, and 1 rush attempt (I think it was a reverse)

edit: It burns me that we could have had Jordan Davis with that pick, and then Jalen Carter this year. I still think we could've gotten LaPorta because everyone said he was drafted earlier than expected, but who knows.

I don't think it was reported anywhere but I think it's safe to assume that Jalen Carter was off the Lions' draft board entirely. The FO loves guys who live at the team facility and work their asses off, and between Carter's legal issues and his disaster of a pro day he didn't fit that mold for them. It sucks in hindsight, because if you could take the Madden create-a-player and plop one guy into the Lions' roster it'd be a monster DT, but I wouldn't call not drafting him a mistake, just taking a lower-risk approach when it turns out the high-risk approach hit and is paying dividends (assuming, of course, that he would have thrived in Detroit the same way he is thriving in Philly).

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

tinstaach posted:

I don't think it was reported anywhere but I think it's safe to assume that Jalen Carter was off the Lions' draft board entirely. The FO loves guys who live at the team facility and work their asses off, and between Carter's legal issues and his disaster of a pro day he didn't fit that mold for them. It sucks in hindsight, because if you could take the Madden create-a-player and plop one guy into the Lions' roster it'd be a monster DT, but I wouldn't call not drafting him a mistake, just taking a lower-risk approach when it turns out the high-risk approach hit and is paying dividends (assuming, of course, that he would have thrived in Detroit the same way he is thriving in Philly).

Oh for sure I get that, I just see:

Aidan Hutchison - Jalen Carter - Jordan Davis - Houston/Rotational DE

and I salivate. :)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1FFr2Oc7Bg

Good Secret Base Rewinder episode dropped day

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I kind of felt bad for Trestman. He seemed like a nice, meek old guy who just got completely steamrolled by the NFL and Chicago. lovely coach but have to blame Emery for putting him in that position. If they had hired Arians, it would have been the right move.

People talk about firing Lovie after a 10-6 season, but his best days were behind him and the fact he bombed out in his next 3 jobs kind of proves that it was the right move.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

On second thought, I'm kinda glad his achilles exploded.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
It was a blatant face mask penalty.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1707128559620292728?t=dzRB4u2N1eZVsjJURnWXmA&s=19

Need some only okay news outta Wisconsin to counter DAME TIME DAME TIME DAME TIME I suppose

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

tinstaach posted:

(assuming, of course, that he would have thrived in Detroit the same way he is thriving in Philly).

I feel like he's thriving in part because he's on the Philadelphia Bulldogs and the familiarity that brings.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

So… I guess GB should’ve traded Bahktiari in the offseason. :sigh:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Jason1Goff/status/1707136728660947229

yuuup.

also lmao hub

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Trestman did nothing wrong

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

I don't know who Seiya Suzuki is, but a quick Google search has lead to:

So I'm even more confused now

e: I suppose this is the "Yes I saw the error" part.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

MJeff posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MJeff posted:

At least use a gif or something instead of a single frame that's clearly after the moment of contact.

(Ignore the filename, I thought I had the gif saved but didn't so had to pull it from a search.)

As far as I can discern what happened was there was actual facemask contact from his hand (thumb), which is what rattles his helmet and swings it slightly further to the right than his actual head has turned, but no grasping of the facemask. But at full speed the refs are gonna call that every single time, though, given how he gets twisted around and hits the ground with his helmet and chinstrap ajar.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MJeff posted:

Pretty hosed up to not show this or mention it in your deep rewind

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Shrimpy posted:

I don't know who Seiya Suzuki is, but a quick Google search has lead to:

So I'm even more confused now

e: I suppose this is the "Yes I saw the error" part.

Seiya was having a bad season and the Cubs sort of benched him for 2-3 weeks and he has been one of the best hitters in baseball since. He made a terrible error yesterday which is where the headlines are from, but I think Hub is arguing that benching Fields will magically make him good because Hub is dumb.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Hub posting should be an automatic 6er

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Niwrad posted:

Seiya was having a bad season and the Cubs sort of benched him for 2-3 weeks and he has been one of the best hitters in baseball since. He made a terrible error yesterday which is where the headlines are from, but I think Hub is arguing that benching Fields will magically make him good because Hub is dumb.

I think he's hoping that, with no real reason to think it's true.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

At least use a gif or something instead of a single frame that's clearly after the moment of contact.

(Ignore the filename, I thought I had the gif saved but didn't so had to pull it from a search.)

As far as I can discern what happened was there was actual facemask contact from his hand (thumb), which is what rattles his helmet and swings it slightly further to the right than his actual head has turned, but no grasping of the facemask. But at full speed the refs are gonna call that every single time, though, given how he gets twisted around and hits the ground with his helmet and chinstrap ajar.

The lions could have simply defended the following hail mary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

But at full speed the refs are gonna call that every single time, though, given how he gets twisted around and hits the ground with his helmet and chinstrap ajar.

The ref literally staring at the play as it happens didn't even call it.