Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

corona familiar posted:

is there such a thing as AAA for cyclists? e; they literally do AAA for cyclists, interesting

BWC is an AAA alternative that has a bike-only option or combo. I haven't had to use it yet though.

https://www.betterworldclub.net/nationwide-bike-roadside-assistance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

corona familiar posted:

yeah, I'm interested in new routes!

since I'm not very comfortable with field repairs and I'm waiting for a cyclist friend to get around to replacing a stolen bike, I've been trying to stay somewhat close to population centers so I can bail out via bus or ferry or visit a bike shop if I suffer mechanical failure or injury. some bits in the city and some segments coming back from Tiburon could do with a lot less traffic for sure. I've found paradise loop to be alright

if I were to go further out I think I'd pack more stuff and it would turn into more of a trip than a workout, but that's not a bad thing

is there such a thing as AAA for cyclists? e; they literally do AAA for cyclists, interesting

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1770391 - Point Reyes 120k

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1412868 - Paradise and China Camp 90ish-k

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42512989 - Take the train back from millbrae

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35142562 - When you're ready to take on Mt. Tam

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35142612 - China camp to Lucas Valley Road is a good loop

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42456926 - 6 slices of pizza

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28260637 - Mixed Terrain but it includes Marin Headlands - You oughta to attempt that.

All of these are randonneuring populaires but they're a good starter kit for really getting to know some of the regular routes around the area.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

are you riding outdoors with an elastomeric? that’s baller but also how are you alive

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shadowhand00 posted:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1770391 - Point Reyes 120k

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1412868 - Paradise and China Camp 90ish-k

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42512989 - Take the train back from millbrae

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35142562 - When you're ready to take on Mt. Tam

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35142612 - China camp to Lucas Valley Road is a good loop

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42456926 - 6 slices of pizza

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28260637 - Mixed Terrain but it includes Marin Headlands - You oughta to attempt that.

All of these are randonneuring populaires but they're a good starter kit for really getting to know some of the regular routes around the area.

Thanks for the recs! I'll take a look. I've starting looking at RWGPS routes recently and some of the longer more remote routes are intimidating so I appreciate the pointers

I'm wary of gravel since I have 700x28 road tires but have done a few kms slowly before (Los Altos creek trail to the reservoir)

evil_bunnY posted:

are you riding outdoors with an elastomeric? that’s baller but also how are you alive

it's not too bad :shrug: the secure click with D3091 has pretty decent airflow

since I only got into cycling after 2020, I've always worn it while biking long distances so I'm pretty used to it. it certainly helps with brisk weather and when people on the beach are burning god knows what

if I'm well away from others and I have a pannier to stow it I'll take it off, but my routes are either pretty busy or I don't pack so much so I only had the opportunity to do that recently on my San Jose - Santa Cruz trip.

I think for most trips it's fine, but evidently I can't reach indoor trainer "peak performance" while wearing it and that gap will probably grow wider unless I start training to maximize O2 efficiency. the other downside is that I need to stop to doff both helmet and mask before I can eat or drink so I schedule those

it's better than a disposable N95 imo and I can just wash it out afterwards

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

corona familiar posted:

it's not too bad :shrug: the secure click with D3091 has pretty decent airflow
I've got to get me one of those for the next time I need to exercise outside in the smoke. I've got a 7500 but always end up with a pool of sweat at the bottom if I'm exerting myself in the heat.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Priority Ace came in! Ground shipping took all of two days to get from PA to TX.

Overall, really impressed so far. Packing was perfect and setup from unboxing to riding took about 30 mins.

Components are mostly generic as expected for a $400 bike but seem to be of high quality (lock-on grips were a nice surprise). Saddle is super comfy and looks great. It even came with a little bottle of touch up paint!

The pedals that came with it were pretty dire (felt like grinding a pepper mill), so I threw a pair of trusty FOOKER’s on instead. The front chainring is plastic…not sure how I feel about that so might upgrade to a metal CDX version at some point.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I just ordered a replacement front sprocket and *ouch*

curiously the rear was totally fine.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mederlock posted:

Oh, I do get that above the knee strain a lot too.. what's usually the culprit for that, bike fit wise? Everything else seems comfy, but when I try to put power down I feel a lot of weird twinges and pain there if I'm not super careful with keeping my muscles around the knee tense and supportive of it

I'm not a doctor, but "above the knee" is often just quad soreness. Is it an acute pain or just more of the general area? How far above the knee, like a couple of centimeters or like the top edge of your patella/kneecap.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Hello bike nerds,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Ergon ST Core Evo Men's saddle to replace my Brooks B17 that I've put thousands of miles on, and unfortunately I feel like it just never reached that vaunted level of comfort their fanclub purports they have. The Brooks isn't bad per se, but on longer rides (~80mi+ or less if I'm climbing for long periods of time) my sit bones still get very irritated. As my primary interest in cycling is touring, I'm finally at the point where I'm considering other options.

Has anyone here used one? Any thoughts? I know everyone's anatomy is going to be different, but someone please enable me.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I've the Ergon road saddle and it's the best I've ever used.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Objurium posted:

Hello bike nerds,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Ergon ST Core Evo Men's saddle to replace my Brooks B17 that I've put thousands of miles on, and unfortunately I feel like it just never reached that vaunted level of comfort their fanclub purports they have. The Brooks isn't bad per se, but on longer rides (~80mi+ or less if I'm climbing for long periods of time) my sit bones still get very irritated. As my primary interest in cycling is touring, I'm finally at the point where I'm considering other options.

Has anyone here used one? Any thoughts? I know everyone's anatomy is going to be different, but someone please enable me.

Saddles and shoes are pretty much the most individual choices a cyclist can make. Unless the Ergon has a major design flaw or bad QC track record, no one's going to be able to say anything definitive about it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Some shops and fitting places have saddle rentals. When I got fit the guy running the shop was a brooks hater and pointed out how it was making my lower back compress without realizing it. I eventually bought a specialized power saddle and it was really wild how much better it is for me.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

TobinHatesYou posted:

I'm not a doctor, but "above the knee" is often just quad soreness. Is it an acute pain or just more of the general area? How far above the knee, like a couple of centimeters or like the top edge of your patella/kneecap.

Yeah it's more.. pinpoint soreness? And it's directly along that kneecap edge yeah. Usually starts if I pedal hard for a while, and then I berate myself and ease up for the rest of the ride

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mederlock posted:

Yeah it's more.. pinpoint soreness? And it's directly along that kneecap edge yeah. Usually starts if I pedal hard for a while, and then I berate myself and ease up for the rest of the ride

sounds like some tendonitis connecting your quads to your knee

https://sportsmedicine.mayoclinic.org/condition/kneecap-instability-patellar-tendinitis/

probably a good idea to ease into your efforts or do some stretches after 30 mins or so of activity, and try to avoid straining it for a few weeks so it can fully heal. if you are experiencing this on a recurring basis I'd see a physiotherapist if you can. there might also be changes to your bike fit or posture that could help

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 27, 2023

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
has the distance from this year changed(/decreased) in anyone else's strava dashboard? I suspect virtual rides are no longer counted towards the "this year" stat - though they are still included in the total distance on my profile page

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mederlock posted:

Depending on your health insurance and health care availability, find a PT who takes your insurance or get a referral from your doctor to one as soon as you can. Even if it doesn't feel like an emergency, and it goes away with care, little connective tissue joint issues can really benefit from a few weeks of PT visits, leaving with a good supportive exercise regimen, and staying on top of it. The worse end of the spectrum is continuing to do damage to a joint even when it feels like you're not, and discovering too late that maybe you messed things up worse than you thought.

I'm dealing with a possibly torn labrum in my shoulder from this right now, and the PT started too late but is still really improving life for me.

Also, my experience is that PTs are usually personally very exercise-oriented and can understand what your sport of choice means to you and exactly what's going on faster than a GP can. And with much more nuance.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
picked up my Surly Straggler from the shop today today, pictures once I get some of these dang decals removed. initial thoughts:

* Fit seems ok "out of the box," the main guy at my bike shop was out today and the mechanics don't do fits, so I took it home "stock" other than adjusting the seat post. will go back Friday to get a proper fit and maybe some stuff adjusted.
* I got some cheap flat pedals since I didn't realize the bike didn't come with any. Kinda weird to me that some bikes come with saddles but not pedals; you'd think on the spectrum of "just a frame" to "every piece you need" that bikes without pedals would also not have saddles, since they're both so personal-preference. They're fine but maybe a bit more slippery than I'd like, will know for sure after I get my bike fit.
* Holy poo poo this bike has a lot of toe overlap on 700C tires. I was having this issue with some of the other bikes I tried just because I have a lot of Brompton-based muscle memory and, obviously, toe overlap is not an issue on 16" tires, but with this I scrape my foot like 1 in 3 times I push off, because I have my front wheel at a slight angle. Thinking maybe after my bike fit my toe will fit more centered on the pedal than it does now. Apparently this is a super common issue with both the Straggler and Cross Check, to the point some people advise not to use fenders with large tires since there's a risk of jamming your toe between the front fender and the tire :ohdear:

all in all... I think I like this bike but it seems to have its quirks. I suspect what I might wind up with is some slightly thinner tires, these come with 700x41mm Knard tires that seem like they might be a bit overkill for riding 95% of the time on asphalt, even when some of that is bumpy-rear end NYC streets.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 27, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The knard is both brutally slow on pavement and honestly pretty useless on dirt as well ime, pretty much anything will be an improvement

I got caught out by the toe overlap initially, but after a couple of weeks it just stopped being a thing I noticed or cared about. I suspect that, much like falling over with clip in pedals, it's a thing people on the internet exaggerate about and really isn't a problem when you get used to it.

Worrying about your foot getting caught between the tyre and fender is some absolutely moronic poo poo imo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ah, that's disappointing. I kinda lucked out that I've been fine with the stock tires on my last two bikes and was hoping these would be good

then again, new tires could be a good way to add some color to an otherwise monochrome bike... what if i get some blue gravelkings lmao https://www.panaracerusa.com/pages/2023-limited-edition-tires

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mederlock posted:

You mean you're against the principles of the Velominati?! :arghfist:

This is the stupidest bike poo poo I've read since Bicycling's thing about the f150 being the ultimate cycling accessory

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is the stupidest bike poo poo I've read since Bicycling's thing about the f150 being the ultimate cycling accessory

yeah that would be the element

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Velominati rules have been around for at least 15 years and they aren't all that serious.

Some of them are dated and wrong, like "No Food On Training Rides Under Four Hours."

Others are deadly serious, like "Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp."

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dema posted:

Velominati rules have been around for at least 15 years and they aren't all that serious.

Some of them are dated and wrong, like "No Food On Training Rides Under Four Hours."

Others are deadly serious, like "Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp."

You're doing nothing to change my mind

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I only have 1 rule for bikes which is if you're going to get a headlight don't buy the brightest one you can find. If you have to buy that one don't leave it on during the day on a pedestrian trail. If you have to do that don't point it 20 degrees up in the air into my eyes. If you have to do all that don't leave it on blink mode.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My one bike rule is "don't gently caress things up for the rest of us"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you don't have 100,000 lumens strobing at 30hz you're not safe.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It was a pain in the rear end to setup, and the lead-acid car battery is heavy, but overall I've really been enjoying my new Garmin™ Pikachu Edition® bicycle headlight.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

You're doing nothing to change my mind
RULE #24 // Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in kilometers.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Salt Fish posted:

I only have 1 rule for bikes which is if you're going to get a headlight don't buy the brightest one you can find. If you have to buy that one don't leave it on during the day on a pedestrian trail. If you have to do that don't point it 20 degrees up in the air into my eyes. If you have to do all that don't leave it on blink mode.

counterpoint pedestrians still don’t see you even between the bell and blinky light

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

numberoneposter posted:

RULE #24 // Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in kilometers.

I agree with this on bikes (even though I'm "strange" and use metric as an American) because then it becomes way easier to think about elevation and grade when it's all km and meters

using feet to measure elevation and miles to measure distance is chaos

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

e.pilot posted:

counterpoint pedestrians still don’t see you even between the bell and blinky light

The pedestrian that can't see you:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If you’re used to the measurements I don’t think it’s “chaos” at all, even if in general it’s not as good a method of measurement

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Levitate posted:

If you’re used to the measurements I don’t think it’s “chaos” at all, even if in general it’s not as good a method of measurement

Yeah if it's your commonly used metric, it's perfectly normal. I use metric distances more than the average American and miles and feet makes no more or less sense than km/m.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

corona familiar posted:

I agree with this on bikes (even though I'm "strange" and use metric as an American) because then it becomes way easier to think about elevation and grade when it's all km and meters

Honestly meters for elevation are just discouraging imo. The difficulty of these climbs deserves numbers in the higher thousands

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I like traveling by inches, they're shorter

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

tildes posted:

Honestly meters for elevation are just discouraging imo. The difficulty of these climbs deserves numbers in the higher thousands
Let's meet in the middle and use cubits.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

corona familiar posted:

What's so hard about multiplying and dividing by 5,280? My last short bikepacking trip with a buddy had 1.12 miles of climbing over two days

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
1850m doesn't sound as impressive to my american brain as 6069 feet (Alpe Du Huez). Same with 3055m vs. 10023 feet. But... I'm able to flip my mind around to meters when I need to.

Counterpoint, its easier to say 100km than 62 miles. It gets more impressive to say I did a 600k vs. 372 miles.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Rule #10 “It never gets easier you just get faster” briefly made me wonder if I really wanted to continue with cycling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It kind of does get easier in the sense that the periods of suffering are over more quickly

If I lived in a place with actual mountains idk if I'd cycle. My mind boggles at the thought of going uphill for tens of kilometres, I don't know how people do it