Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I feel like this is an instance where the fans had a better idea of what to do with the characters than the show runners did, which is usually the opposite of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Perhaps it'll need to settle in a bit? The first season of Frasier could be a bit rough too, with Marty being noticeably more sour than in the rest of the show.

Cautiously optimistic.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Wouldn't an intellectual snob like Frasier know that saying "the hoi polloi" is like saying "the the commoners"? Well, I'm nit picking already, but the whole thing looks pretty uninspired.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nah he'd just blather about it being idiomatic and not literal usage of an ancient greek term

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Chicken! I believe it was LaRouchefoucauld who said...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Achmed Jones posted:

nah he'd just blather about it being idiomatic and not literal usage of an ancient greek term

After Niles calls him out about it.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

fraiser is going to lead his son fredrick into the light of christ

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

didn't need to know Frasier smelled emphatically good.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

KoRMaK posted:

didn't need to know Frasier smelled emphatically good.

He has a proprietary bath blend after all

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

For cleaning that HUMONGOUS rear end of his

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pretty sure fraiser smells like terminal alcoholism slathered in a luxurious greek aftershave balm

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Saucer Hovers posted:

fraiser is going to lead his son fredrick into the light of christ

Lilith eloped with Brent Spiner and joined the Church of the Jedi, no more Jewish influence in Freddy's life, Frasier found Christ in re-hab. This is a season's worth of plot-line already!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Rappaport posted:

Lilith eloped with Brent Spiner

Picturing them together, he's still wearing the Data makeup of course

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Norm!

I welcome you into house.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
OHGOAGHHG OIHM SHOIMON OIM EENGLEESH AND OI AM PISH DRUNK OI AM *shits self loudly*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cheers cast reunion with inexplicable recastings, and instead of Norm it's Morn

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Craig T Nelson as Coach

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cheers cast reunion with inexplicable recastings, and instead of Norm it's Morn

Use the actors they used for when Diane did her play! Them applauding at Frasier's bluster worthy of Macbeth is a moment that still cracks me up no matter how many times I see it.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 17, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Use the actors they used for when Diane did her play! Them applauding at Frasier's bluster worthy of McBeth is a moment that still cracks me up no matter how many times I see it.

"So, drink hearty, Franklin, and laugh! Because you have made a pact with Beelzebub! And her name ... is Mary Ann!"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Craig T Nelson as Coach

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dr. Huxtable for can't miss Thursdays.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

the trailer didn't get me excited for new stuff but we did click a random point in season 2 and now we're five episodes deep

this stuff was so good. i love marty and all the hot chicks

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The trailer looked fine. It’s going to be tough to capture the show since it’s designed to pack in as many jokes as possible. But it does seem to have some life to it.

One of the key aspects of Frasier and Cheers is that they were willing to let scenes have emotions that weren’t just funny. You could have a serious and heart wrenching scene in Cheers, like when Sam says “goodbye, Diane.” If this show is willing to have those moments, it could be fantastic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TBH I kind of feel the opposite way, it seems like comedies aren't allowed to just be comedies anymore and are expected to provide moments for clickbait headlines about 10 Times This Show Unexpectedly Gave Us All The Feels.

It is important for the show to have some tender moments, but I just feel like that's a given at this point. I'd be far more surprised if it didn't.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sometimes I think about why the Simpsons were so much better in the beginning. Part of it was the emotional aspect, there were some moments that held weight in that regard, think of the ending of When Flanders Failed for example. Frasier doesn't have a ton of those moments but there are some. I suppose it isn't really a prerequisite for making something funny, but it definitely elevates the show to another level.

Safe money is on the show being bad, I really hope its not, but I think the proof is in the pudding. That they've abandoned the core cast who played such a huge role in making the show great (hopefully thats just a red herring and they just have kept it under wraps- unlikely in todays world of online leaks), thats a big red flag. Then when you think about who Kelsey is as a person, and the absolute stinkers he's attached his name to in recent years. Doesn't fill me with confidence that he or certainly any executives would bother to try and hold this version to any sort of high standard, as long as the money comes. We'll see

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

It looks like a perfectly serviceable 90's sitcom.

Are sitcoms even a thing anymore? If you asked me to name a single sitcom currently running on network TV I don't think I could.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
The last thing I saw close to a sitcom was Kevin Can F**k Himself, which was more of a dark deconstruction of the premise.
The last straight up sitcoms I remember were Fresh of the Boat, and Young Sheldon, which were last decade pre-pandemic.
I couldn't name a single post covid sitcom.

Just had a look at what NBC is offering because they're sure to have sitcoms.
They have Lopez v Lopez, a vanity project for George Lopez and his daughter playing fictionalized versions of themselves.
Kenan, a vanity project for Kenan Thompson playing a fictionalized version of himself.
And Young Rock, a vanity project for the Rock portraying his childhood.

Vanity projects for celebrities where they get to play themselves seem to be where sitcoms are these days.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 18, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like with a lot of TV the audience is probably exclusively boomers who reliably press the button to see a familiar face make the voice and reinforce all their biases.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

bring back my name is earl you cowards

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

GolfHole posted:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

GolfHole posted:

Give me closure dammit. They've rebooted nearly everything else from that era.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Marenghi posted:

Give me closure dammit. They've rebooted nearly everything else from that era.

Sorry, the money for that has been earmarked for a remake of Ed :twisted:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dokapon Findom posted:

I feel like this is an instance where the fans had a better idea of what to do with the characters than the show runners did, which is usually the opposite of this thread

It should have been Niles and Roz

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Niles Per Hour: Niles finally opens that auto body shop he's secretly had planned

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Dokapon Findom posted:

the theme song should have been "flesh is burning"

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
nah nah nah nah nah nah

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't think My Name Is Earl was ever big enough for streamers to think they could leverage it to draw eyeballs to their platform, but damned if I don't want to see Earl cross the very last thing off his list.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Marenghi posted:

The last thing I saw close to a sitcom was Kevin Can F**k Himself, which was more of a dark deconstruction of the premise.
The last straight up sitcoms I remember were Fresh of the Boat, and Young Sheldon, which were last decade pre-pandemic.
I couldn't name a single post covid sitcom.

Just had a look at what NBC is offering because they're sure to have sitcoms.
They have Lopez v Lopez, a vanity project for George Lopez and his daughter playing fictionalized versions of themselves.
Kenan, a vanity project for Kenan Thompson playing a fictionalized version of himself.
And Young Rock, a vanity project for the Rock portraying his childhood.

Vanity projects for celebrities where they get to play themselves seem to be where sitcoms are these days.

Abbott Elementary is both the best and most popular sitcom running at the moment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I don't think My Name Is Earl was ever big enough for streamers to think they could leverage it to draw eyeballs to their platform, but damned if I don't want to see Earl cross the very last thing off his list.

Yeah I really enjoyed the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I finally remembered to show my wife that preview and she just said "oh no" at the end. :negative:

codo27 posted:

Sometimes I think about why the Simpsons were so much better in the beginning. Part of it was the emotional aspect, there were some moments that held weight in that regard, think of the ending of When Flanders Failed for example. Frasier doesn't have a ton of those moments but there are some. I suppose it isn't really a prerequisite for making something funny, but it definitely elevates the show to another level.
Early Simpsons had plots that explored their characters. They weren't flanderized stereotypes, so you could have poo poo like Bart crying in frustration that his best attempt at learning yielded failure (then subvert that crushing sadness with the realization that he did learn something, he just couldn't regurgitate it on the test), or loving Homer facing the prospect of his mortality thanks to loving Fugu.
Mid90s Simpsons, roughly the time Oakley and Weinstein take the reins, moves away from the animated attempt at a dysfunctional family into stories that are less grounded in the family and more exploratory (like Bart selling his soul). I think by 98 or 99 the "classic" run exhausts its novelty and just becomes a series of gags with a loosely pinned on plot at the start like "The Simpsons attend MONSTERtruckfest, but leave quickly when they realize that it's a convention of truck-bros who dress up as classic monsters. On the way home, the family car hits a pothole causing Marge to have to drive recklessly to get to safety. This sparks a new obsession with racing and the rest of the episode is a send-up of Days of Thunder, with Bart having a Fast and the Furious-style B-plot."
Once you get to that point, the cast isn't so much characters as paper-thin functions to make jokes happen. But that's kind of the problem with cultural satire-- it works when you're the out-group but time marches on and it's harder to be so biting if you're a literal cultural institution with decades of success.

Arguably the first Season of Frasier has the back and forth with Marty at the core-- there's a point where he nearly chucks Marty into a home until they have it out and recognize it won't be smooth sailing but it will be worth it. I think that Frasier's most memorable episodes revolve around the inherent farcical aspects of the show, but they're possible because the characters largely behave in familiar ways that makes the comedy pay off. You also have plenty of stealth feelings episodes, where the brothers' personalities and quibbles are comedic, but in the process lead to something more impactful (Martin feeling sadness at seeing the age of his old horse and in turn lamenting his youth).

There's this touch in some really simple scenes, like the mini-arc where one of the Crane boys' absurd coffee orders keeps being slightly off. The episode happens and as we reach a resolution with the characters and events, the barista finally gets the order right.