Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Tin Tim posted:

Hell yeah, good job on getting it done :allears:

Are the cables and joints just molded to look like fabric or are they actually soft parts?

they are actually very thin, soft plastic sheathes that you had to squish around to crinkle up then very carefully fit onto the joints/pipes. there was some careful science in giving them enough slack so the joints could move without them ripping while still being taut enough to stay put

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks for letting me know. The parts look very convincing so I was wondering.

Also I just noticed that the huge gently caress-off booster unit is covered with even more guns and ammo. There's over the top and then there's this :v:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

that middle booster is actually larger than the zaku itself lol. it's like the length of your forearm

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Also I just noticed that the huge gently caress-off booster unit is covered with even more guns and ammo. There's over the top and then there's this :v:

one big bazooka, three normal bazookas, two rifles, three disposable rocket launchers, six clips, and an axe. all needing to be individually built/detailed before fitting them in

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Fucks sake Bandai, we don't need another Grady in the Kyoukai Senki line. :cripes:

Okay, granted, it's an iteration full of accesory tabs for another customization base kit, but still; I think the line is like 50% Grady's by now. Give us a customizable Bunyip Boomerangr at least! :argh:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's still weird how a show based around selling kits just ran out of designs for them in season 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:HG YF-21's up for preorder!:siren:

As is the Huckebein MkIII!

The 30MM horse and booster set are also up as well :shepspends:. I maaay have put down an order for two of the booster sets, cause by god is that horse gonna gallop :rice:. Gonna paint it up as a matching steed for my Spinatio Knight, maybe see if I can stash more weapons on it too.

Justin_Brett posted:

It's still weird how a show based around selling kits just ran out of designs for them in season 2.

Yeah, even the "upgrades" for the protagonist mechs are minor design changes and even the Kenbu Zan's got the same relative profile as the original with some more angled bits that you'd be hard-pressed to tell is different at a glance.

And only the American faction gets new mechs... that're just tweaked designs of the old ones.

The more recent kits feel like an attempt to salvage the line more than anything, trying to pivot to the 30MM crowd with customizable AMAIM's and accessory kits. The problem is they're just not that interesting to begin with, and you can get a whole lot more out of a 30MM kit for cheaper overall.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Nuebot posted:

So it's been a poo poo week for me, and some of my family came to town to help deal with some poo poo. We wound up going out to Don Quijote in honolulu.

The display of limited edition sets were neat, they had a bunch of one piece and digimon kits too.

IDK if these are still hard to find anywhere else but there was like, a literal wall of the GWitch gundams. Shwarzette was off to the left.

Pictured here in lovely bad lighting vision is a gift I was given. I like the devil gundam and while clear kits aren't typically something I do, it looked cool in the display. Though I think it's just a reprint of the old kit in different colours?

Pearl City DQ has an Epyon on display in that size 7 ft or whatever. The selection isnt as good tho, they have the P-Bandai Ambassador of Japan kit right now for like $20. PC DQ also doesnt carry PG like the Kaheka store done either.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arione posted:

Pearl City DQ has an Epyon on display in that size 7 ft or whatever. The selection isnt as good tho, they have the P-Bandai Ambassador of Japan kit right now for like $20. PC DQ also doesnt carry PG like the Kaheka store done either.

I live down in waianae so it can be a pain in the rear end for me to go out to either, but I really need to check out the other stores more often; the one down in honolulu was mostly PG stuff and while they're fine, I just prefer HG. I did go to pearl ridge to pick up some gifts for my family before they departed and holy poo poo half of that mall is just nothing but nerd stores now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Target's got the HG Aerial on clearance at 12 bucks

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Target's got the HG Aerial on clearance at 12 bucks

Anything else on clearance? It'd be a bit of a shame to lose the Gundam aisles, even if the selection is small, but it'd also be nice to grab some of the other available kits for cheap.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Made my prize, the Red Tail from Cowboy Bebop.

It's a nice kit, let down by a few issues some of which may just be its era.

1. The red tail bit that gives it its name is just a solid mass of color correcting stickers. I guess multicolor injection wasn't a thing in 2002?
2. The glass ball cockpit was kind of fiddly to keep together, even now it's unwilling to stay closed all the way.
3. The figures (including the pilot figure) are made out of some sort of rubber that doesn't seem to want to cut properly and has to be glued together. Definitely the lowlight of the build. I am not going to paint these.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Made my prize, the Red Tail from Cowboy Bebop.

It's a nice kit, let down by a few issues some of which may just be its era.

1. The red tail bit that gives it its name is just a solid mass of color correcting stickers. I guess multicolor injection wasn't a thing in 2002?
2. The glass ball cockpit was kind of fiddly to keep together, even now it's unwilling to stay closed all the way.
3. The figures (including the pilot figure) are made out of some sort of rubber that doesn't seem to want to cut properly and has to be glued together. Definitely the lowlight of the build. I am not going to paint these.

Multicolor injection was in use all the way back in 1991, with the F91 line. In fact, it was even fancier than most modern stuff.

However, single color is cheaper, and presumably Bandai figured that going to that expense for a couple small parts wasn't worth it in comparison to including a sticker. Anyone who cared that much would probably just paint the thing anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Multicolor injection was in use all the way back in 1991, with the F91 line. In fact, it was even fancier than most modern stuff.

However, single color is cheaper, and presumably Bandai figured that going to that expense for a couple small parts wasn't worth it in comparison to including a sticker. Anyone who cared that much would probably just paint the thing anyway.

Also at the time the general response from Bandai's modelling division to Cowboy Bebop was ":wtc: are these? These ship designs will never sell!!"

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The first use of multicolor parts technology that I’m aware of dates back to 1987, and the four-color runners were around years before that.

Problem is, the EX Model line (of which the Red Tail is part) was made on the cheap and priced at a premium, which may be why it’s not around anymore.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I just realized I forgot the pictures because I was tired.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was thinking wait does the show have a goblin in it? Oh right it totally does.

Has anyone gotten the HG Daisy Ogre? What do you think? Its currently on sale at a local store and it looks pretty neat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stores in the US have them listed too. And Gundam Planet is shipping my VF-29.

Now, why the third release is a VF-21 I have no idea, but I'll get it anyway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Now, why the third release is a VF-21 I have no idea, but I'll get it anyway.

It's the YF-21 from Macross Plus, to go with the YF-19. The VF-21 from Seven has a different canopy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah I'm working on Bandai's 2000 kit for the Big O and the base blue color is what all the plastic is and they just expect you to paint it for every other color. I doubt they would have paid for most non Gundam stuff to be multi colored plastic at the time.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Bandai, please, my wallet

https://x.com/_PREMIUMBANDAI_/status/1707177096248737880?s=20

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oh good, I got an estimated shipping date for my PG Phenex.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

jesus, I already preordered the talgeese III from them

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

but I wants it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I want that dunbine real bad, but money is tight. It's affordable, but I need to buy groceries.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I may just get it. Its such a weird bot :3

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

It also comes with a little figure for the pilot and the copilot.

The copilot cannot figure out how jackets work. That's not an exaggeration. A gag in the show is her trying to put it on, then the jacket just slumping around her arms as everyone just looks on in confusion at this amnesiac robot failing at clothing.

Her original personality wakes up from safe mode in the last episode. One of the big changes? The original knows how to wear a jacket properly.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

I got this guy sitting in my backlog. I don't watch the anime so know nothing about it on that front I just think he looks neat

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They remind me of the Sakura Taisen mechs, silly little goofy things, except they gave this one a Splatoon-rear end colour-scheme and an SMG.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MSN-001A1 Smooth Criminal

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mg narrative very ka is confirmed. Guess the yearly ver ka is the only mgs we get nowadays.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1707546535574327795

Oh poo poo it's actually happening, I heard the rumors a few weeks ago but I dismissed it as bullshit

Suppose it'd be too much to hope for for a full A-Packs set as p-bandai or something, huh?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1707546535574327795

Oh poo poo it's actually happening, I heard the rumors a few weeks ago but I dismissed it as bullshit

Suppose it'd be too much to hope for for a full A-Packs set as p-bandai or something, huh?

B-Packs would be cool too. I like incoms.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like the B-Packs will definitely be available in some capacity since they are just 95% of the way there already. Just gotta have an add-on pack that's got the INCOMs and the rocket shields.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
P-Bandai AM Gunner to go with the retail Huckebein Mk-III.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I know that the Narrative was a prototype for the Nu, but since it was still around afterwards I'm surprised they haven't come out with a Perfect Narrative that's actually got all the armor and everything, but is different from the Nu because it was finished almost a decade later.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Narrative gundam ver ka: i sleep

HG destroy gundam: real poo poo?

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1707546067246686259

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

El Burbo posted:

That thing will be a super grenade

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also these, as expected (P-Bandai)

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1707547131094159524

glad its just a pack and they don't expect you to buy them all again in full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I've never been a fan of the name or narrative behind it, but it's a drat good reimagining of the psycho gundam. The scale looks a bit scuffed though... either the photo perspective is messing with me, I'm misremembering the size of the thing relative to the Freedom and Impulse, or they compressed things to save plastic.